The last phone that I bought was the Tour in the fall of 2009. I paid $99 for two of them. With various discounts, including NE2 and my primary line discount, I don't plan to pay more than $50 for the 9930 either. Aside from the trackpad starting to peel, and my USB port now losing it's grippers, there is nothing wrong with my 9650, so if the 9930 costs more than I want to spend, I'll stay put with the 9650. I don't mind paying $30 or so a year to have the new device.
    The last phone I purchased was this one: http://forums.crackberry.com/f14/wts...locked-475316/

I swapped it out for my Bold.
    05-16-11 04:32 PM
    I was told "the new Droid phones require the unlimited data plan". I asked "why would that be? My current smartphone runs just fine with a limited plan". After a few "Ummm, well, you see..." stutters, I said "No, the phones do not require unlimited data, Verizon requires unlimited data, correct?"

after that pregnant pause, met with "... did I answer all of your concerns today?" and "Thanks for being the most valuable part of ...", right?
    05-16-11 04:54 PM
    after that pregnant pause, met with "... did I answer all of your concerns today?" and "Thanks for being the most valuable part of ...", right?
    She understood my "concerns", I don't know if I got the complimentary condescending BS, she knew I wasn't playing games.
    05-16-11 05:03 PM
    man, oh, man--you guys change bb's like its your job!! wassup wit dat?!?! lol.
    I'm with Jaydee on the ph thing. had my 8330 from 2008 till Dec.2010 and then got my Bold. Had the S2 a very SHORT time in between, wasnt long before i ditched that POS(the whole touch screen thing & i didn't agree). My daughter snagged it from me, lol.

themes do not suck!! aaaaannnd.......BTW, lipstick looks great on Miss Piggy LOL!

but to each their own with the theme thing. I've never actually used the stock OS6 theme, perhaps one day I just might try it and see what my bb is like that should be interesting
    05-16-11 06:46 PM
    I did a Java swap over 466 to install v4 and it worked great. I can't imagine that it wouldn't work for 4.5 as well. I've got the v4.5 already, but just haven't installed it yet, since v4 is running so well.

We'd be at 1000 already if those six or seven pages of a hundred or so posts hadn't gone missing this morning...
    I thought he released v5. If not, it's on its way soon. So I would hold off on loading v4.5. Just my 2�
    05-16-11 09:05 PM
    I thought he released v5. If not, it's on its way soon. So I would hold off on loading v4.5. Just my 2�
    He released v5 last nght. I'm just reloading apps now. I loaded it over the 376 radio from 466.
    05-16-11 09:56 PM
    but to each their own with the theme thing. I've never actually used the stock OS6 theme, perhaps one day I just might try it and see what my bb is like that should be interesting
    It's not that I don't like themes. Far from it. But I've found that the custom themes make my phone just a bit sluggish. I also have a recurring issue with QuickLaunch that causes the wallpaper to momentarily blank out (white screen) when I use a theme and open QL. Back in August, I started a message string (since discontinued) with the developer, who I'm sure thinks I'm AFU. But it's been an issue for me since I got this Bold and started loading themes on it with OS5. I see it on my wife's 9650 as well with different themes and a different version of QL. The problem never comes up with the OEM UI. I may be back full on themes if the QL developer gets his act together, because I want QL more than a cool theme.

Some of the themes that folks have produced here are stunning, and I really like how they transform the basic Bold into something different on every device. I've decided that I'm just not willing to trade OS stability and performance for the customized look and feel.
    05-16-11 10:09 PM
    It's not that I don't like themes. Far from it. But I've found that the custom themes make my phone just a bit sluggish. I also have a recurring issue with QuickLaunch that causes the wallpaper to momentarily blank out (white screen) when I use a theme and open QL. Back in August, I started a message string (since discontinued) with the developer, who I'm sure thinks I'm AFU. But it's been an issue for me since I got this Bold and started loading themes on it with OS5. I see it on my wife's 9650 as well with different themes and a different version of QL. The problem never comes up with the OEM UI. I may be back full on themes if the QL developer gets his act together, because I want QL more than a cool theme.

Some of the themes that folks have produced here are stunning, and I really like how they transform the basic Bold into something different on every device. I've decided that I'm just not willing to trade OS stability and performance for the customized look and feel.
    WOW 99, that's really too bad. At least there are a lot of nice OS6 themes out there.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-17-11 12:16 AM
    WOW 99, that's really too bad. At least there are a lot of nice OS6 themes out there.
    Yes, there are. Unfortunately, every one of them that I've loaded, including yours, has done the same thing. I think that it has something to do with the API call that the QL developer uses to make the QL menu swing out. I never saw it with my Tour on OS5, but the same themes on my OS5 Bold had the issue. It didn't get any better with OS6 when TB6 finally hit the street.

I look at themes, download and install them, and I use them for a bit. I just can't keep on using them without seeing the QL issue. At some point, this will get resolved and I will be back to themes. OS7 perhaps?
    05-17-11 12:26 AM
    It's not that I don't like themes. Far from it. But I've found that the custom themes make my phone just a bit sluggish. I also have a recurring issue with QuickLaunch that causes the wallpaper to momentarily blank out (white screen) when I use a theme and open QL. Back in August, I started a message string (since discontinued) with the developer, who I'm sure thinks I'm AFU. But it's been an issue for me since I got this Bold and started loading themes on it with OS5. I see it on my wife's 9650 as well with different themes and a different version of QL. The problem never comes up with the OEM UI.
    I get the white screen for a sec or two when I launch Q/L at times. I don't find it a big deal. Having custom themes certainly over rules this minor annoyance with Q/L. I'm glad you mentioned it tho as i thought it was just me.
    05-17-11 12:55 AM
    Jim, did you get King's v5 loaded? I have it up and running over 466. Looks good, so far.
    05-17-11 01:02 AM
    He released v5 last nght. I'm just reloading apps now. I loaded it over the 376 radio from 466.
    I tried a couple diff ways to get this loaded and error'd out both times.
    Install fresh 524 and load KV5 over it and my app loader errors.
    Extract java file from KV5 and swap into 524 with a cdma 466 radio file swap also and I get a weird 6.1 files not compatible error.
    I didn't shrink anything the first time purposely to see if it would help and no go. Funny how I always had success with all other hybrids until the V4 and up. Never any issues. I dunno. I'm running the V4 which took the java swap fine. I guess I'll just stick with V4 as it is really very good and I have no complaints.
    05-17-11 01:02 AM
    99, did you shrink it at all and before the hybrid install or after?
    05-17-11 01:09 AM
    99, did you shrink it at all and before the hybrid install or after?
    I did a shrink before I loaded onto my phone.

I uninstalled the hybridized 524 from my PC, deleted what was left, ran CCleaner to get rid of all traces of 524, then installed a fresh 524 for a base. I dropped the 376 radio from 466 into the 524 folder, extracted the hybrid, and copied that into the 524 Java folder. I told it to overwrite everything. Then I used the BBHybrids tool to shrink, and let Apploader do its thing. I shrink out a lot. My Java folder is about 45MB when I'm done. I dump languages, fonts, most of the apps, all the social stuff except for BBM, etc.
    Last edited by Underway99; 05-17-11 at 01:20 AM.
    05-17-11 01:17 AM
    is there any links around for fresh 524 files? I used my last earlier. I found a 466 and D/L that now. I did what you stated in your post except for running ccleaner. If I can find a 524 link I'll give it another go.
    05-17-11 01:39 AM
    EDIT: found one
    05-17-11 01:50 AM
    Big Red has released an official .524

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    05-17-11 05:18 AM
    Big Red has released an official .524

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    Did you get a pop-up in DM? I just checked the DL site and VZW does indeed have 524. BlackBerry® Software Updates

Jim, if you're ever looking for a 9650 OS, send me a msg, I have all of them hosted.
    05-17-11 07:21 AM
    I also saw the VzW now has 524 avail. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it worth going from 431 to 524?

With all the talk about os's in here, if its been mentioned already sorry I've forgotten.
    05-17-11 07:26 AM

99, i will agree with you as for the sluggish part. there are some of my themes that do that, not all tho. that does suck tho with the QL white screen blink issue you have....i've really never heard of that! I think i'd go mad if that hap'd to me.....

I'd have to agree also with wanting, more like needing, QL more than a theme. BUT honestly if i was put into that situation, i'd prob ditch QL just to have my themes......I'm so addicted to themes, can ya tell? LOL
    05-17-11 07:29 AM
    I also saw the VzW now has 524 avail. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it worth going from 431 to 524?

With all the talk about os's in here, if its been mentioned already sorry I've forgotten.
    I've been running 524 since the first day it leaked. I like it much better than 431. It runs smoother, I like the lightning bolt charge indicator, and the Thumbnail View in the browser. I have more free memory in 524 than I did in 431, and I don't shrink.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    05-17-11 07:35 AM
    I've been running 524 since the first day it leaked. I like it much better than 431. It runs smoother, I like the lightning bolt charge indicator, and the Thumbnail View in the browser. I have more free memory in 524 than I did in 431, and I don't shrink.
    Thx for the info Paul. I'll keep an eye out to see what kind of feed back other users give it as well. And in the mean time, I'll search out the leaked os thread on it too and check it out as well
    05-17-11 07:54 AM
    Yes, thanks for the info Paul.
    I will probably move to the official 524 soon, as long as all my stuff goes back like it was. I am not into reloading individual apps anymore; nor do I want to re-download and set up the 35 themes I have installed either.

It's been what seems like ages since I have changed OSes. Haha. That got old fast for me. Now I'd rather change themes and wallpapers to keep me happy.

And Underway, my QL sometimes does blink white when I am trying to do two thinks at once, like looking though my media folder and then going to the home screen using the QL app switcher. but it's only a second or two and then it goes away.

No particular theme causes any more trouble for me than any other. My device just leaks, still. Oh and if I switch to 524 you can bet your bippy that I will be shrinking it big time beforehand. I need all the memory I can get with my themes loaded.
    05-17-11 08:21 AM
    +1 for themes dragging down the snappiness of the OS. However, I'm already experiencing lag, probably from BBM6 beta, so this theme isn't adding much to it. Like I said, I'm so sick of my Bold, I needed something to make it seem different.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 05-17-11 at 09:51 AM.
    05-17-11 08:55 AM

Jim, if you're ever looking for a 9650 OS, send me a msg, I have all of them hosted.
    Thanks Paul. They fixed the CB link so I got it ok last nite. Haven't installed the hybrid yet as it was giving me installation issues. Might try it again or go with verizons. Choices, choices.
    05-17-11 09:44 AM
23,186 ... 595596597598599 ...