I'm with you, Jim..if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.
    Lucky you to be able to get it! If I had my NE2 I might have considered it.

Re playbook...I have the nook color and it does me just fine for what I need...surfing, reading and now they have updated software to access the android market...so I'm set as well.
    Hamster, are you aware that you can load the full Honeycomb (Android 3) that's on the Xoom onto the Nook Color? A full-featured 7-inch Honeycomb tablet for $250. Deal! I'm jumping on the Nook for the kids. What's cool is that, while I have a Kindle, the Kindle app for Android (running on the Nook) looks better than and has more features than the Kindle itself. I understand that the Nook app is the same. Go figure.
    05-14-11 03:20 PM
    Hamster, are you aware that you can load the full Honeycomb (Android 3) that's on the Xoom onto the Nook Color? A full-featured 7-inch Honeycomb tablet for $250. Deal! I'm jumping on the Nook for the kids. What's cool is that, while I have a Kindle, the Kindle app for Android (running on the Nook) looks better than and has more features than the Kindle itself. I understand that the Nook app is the same. Go figure.
    How does this Nook Color compared to the Blackberry Playbook? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mojave; 05-14-11 at 05:27 PM. Reason: wording
    05-14-11 05:23 PM
    The Nook Color is a electronic book reader like a Kindle. It comes from Barnes and Noble, and runs a dedicated OS based on Android 2.2. You can read up on it by looking at Barnes*&*Noble - Books, Textbooks, eBooks, Toys, Games, DVDs and More. Some Android folks have developed and published a simple way to load the Android tablet software (v3) on the Nook. Totally unauthorized by Barnes and Noble, and very similar to jailbreaking an iPad. At any rate, you wind up with a seven-inch Xoom tablet. Pretty cool, huh?

The folks at Android Central http://www.androidcentral.com/nookcolor have a whole section on the Nook Color. Check it out.
    Last edited by Underway99; 05-14-11 at 08:17 PM.
    Mojave likes this.
    05-14-11 08:07 PM
    Yeah, but I'm not so sure I could root the damn thing...I'm afraid I'd mess it up The latest official software gives you access to a lot of the market, so for now I'm good with that until I get the gumption to root, lol.
    But I love it, and yes for $250, it's a steal

The Nook Color is a electronic book reader like a Kindle. It comes from Barnes and Noble, and runs a dedicated OS based on Android 2.2. You can read up on it by looking at Barnes*&*Noble - Books, Textbooks, eBooks, Toys, Games, DVDs and More. Some Android folks have developed and published a simple way to load the Android tablet software (v3) on the Nook. Totally unauthorized by Barnes and Noble, and very similar to jailbreaking an iPad. At any rate, you wind up with a seven-inch Xoom tablet. Pretty cool, huh?

The folks at Android Central Nook Color | Android Central have a whole section on the Nook Color. Check it out.
    Way cool! Really is good compromise and again at that price, well worth it.
    05-14-11 08:25 PM
    Hey P1nk, I let my Bold do the email setup update. No issues so far.

About your BIS login, there was a change a few months back that dealt with this. Even though you have your BB registered and such, the change was about how you log into the system. If you create a BIS login (different from your vzw.blackberry.net login) you will have to enter a login user and password every time you want to make a change to your email accounts from your BlackBerry. Presently, a dedicated BIS login is not required to make those changes when making the changes from your phone. If I remember, there is no going back from this. If you access your BIS account from a PC instead of your phone, you will always have to login in order to make changes.

What this did was give you most of the access to your BIS account that the VZW tech has when you call for support. You would now have the ability to manage some aspects of your account, including directly pushing service books to your phone.

Clear as mud, now?
    Thx, 99 for explaining. I think, lol..
    Seriously tho, so for me, since I don't have a BIS log in that I recall, I just go on business as usual?
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 05-14-11 at 08:43 PM.
    05-14-11 08:28 PM
    Hey P1nk, I let my Bold do the email setup update. No issues so far.

About your BIS login, there was a change a few months back that dealt with this. Even though you have your BB registered and such, the change was about how you log into the system. [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]If you create a BIS login[/COLOR] (different from your vzw.blackberry.net login) you will have to enter a login user and password every time you want to make a change to your email accounts from your BlackBerry. Presently, a dedicated BIS login is not required to make those changes when making the changes from your phone. If I remember, there is no going back from this. [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"] If you access your BIS account from a PC instead of your phone, you will always have to login in order to make changes.[/COLOR]

What this did was give you most of the access to your BIS account that the VZW tech has when you call for support. You would now have the ability to manage some aspects of your account, including directly pushing service books to your phone.

Clear as mud, now?
    Thx for the info 99, I'm gonna back up and bbsak everything tomorrow and then prob do the email update. About how long did it take for you to do the update?

As for the whole log in thing, I've always logged in from my pc or laptop to delete or add email accts OR send sb's. I don't have a "vzw.blackberry.net" email acct, i never set one up. I've always used my aol and yahoo.

Also, for logging in to my BIS from my bb, honestly, since 2008, i think if i logged in from my bb 3 times that would be alot!

and yes, clear as honey over your eyes!
    05-14-11 08:35 PM
    It's true. A little bit of boredom, the normal amount of BB frustration, and some questionable actions by some mods set me in a vulnerable state to be wooed by the Incredible2. There is tons for me to learn now!
    Russ, I don't think you will have trouble finding another beta tester now that you are amongst some addicts in here!

Sent from my inc2 via Tapatalk
    05-14-11 09:12 PM
    Thx, 99 for explaining. I think, lol..
    Seriously tho, so for me, since I don't have a BIS log in that I recall, I just go on business as usual?
    Yes. If you have issues with your BIS, you can call Big Red and they still have access to your BIS account. They can push service books, help with email setup, etc.

Thx for the info 99, I'm gonna back up and bbsak everything tomorrow and then prob do the email update. About how long did it take for you to do the update?

As for the whole log in thing, I've always logged in from my pc or laptop to delete or add email accts OR send sb's. I don't have a "vzw.blackberry.net" email acct, i never set one up. I've always used my aol and yahoo.

Also, for logging in to my BIS from my bb, honestly, since 2008, i think if i logged in from my bb 3 times that would be alot!

and yes, clear as honey over your eyes!
    It took less than minute for the update. The phone will have to reboot at the end.

If you've been using your PC to maintain your BB account, then you should be good to go. As to not having a BB email account, I can't speak to that one. It is my understanding that every BlackBerry with a VZW BIS account has a "@vzw.blackberry.net" address tied to the PIN. Somebody please correct me here if required, but I think you have the account, even if you don't use it.
    05-14-11 09:39 PM
    Yeah, but I'm not so sure I could root the damn thing...I'm afraid I'd mess it up The latest official software gives you access to a lot of the market, so for now I'm good with that until I get the gumption to root, lol.
    But I love it, and yes for $250, it's a steal

Way cool! Really is good compromise and again at that price, well worth it.
    Rooting looks a lot like building and loading a super-hybrid for your BlackBerry. It's a lot of steps, but doesn't look difficult. Like the BB and the iPad/iPhone, you can eliminate any traces of the root by reloading the official OS if you change your mind or your Nook requires service.

Can you tether your BlackBerry to the Nook?
    Last edited by Underway99; 05-15-11 at 01:35 AM.
    05-14-11 09:43 PM
    I had an issue sending email from my yahoo account on my berry this morning, but it seemed to resolve itself.

Got a BBM broadcast from Sky yesterday saying he was jumping ship to droid!!! Guess there goes one of my testers *sniff*

Checked out my NE2 today, I have 6 months left, the way things are going that will probably be about right for grabbing an OS7 device with some of the bugs fixed
    Russ, you have a lot of people here willing to be testers in place of Skyboxer. Just ask!
    05-15-11 06:38 AM

The folks at Android Central http://www.androidcentral.com/nookcolor have a whole section on the Nook Color. Check it out.
    Im glad you guys started talking about the Nook Color yesterday.I decided a few days ago that I am buying one for myself since I am going to have lots of time this summer to read.I see that it does some light surfing and has access to android apps so I figure for a tablet sized reader, it's a bargain. The playbook is just too much money for me.

I also have been reading up on rooting it. I don't think I will have it long before I wipe the OS and throw Honeycomb on it...lol. I can never seem to leave well enough alone. Maybe I will enjoy the reader and not want to do it, I dunno. Anyway, I plan on getting one as soon as I get my big check in late June. Hamster, I will be asking you some questions, I'm sure!!!!
    05-15-11 06:45 AM
    Yes. If you have issues with your BIS, you can call Big Red and they still have access to your BIS account. They can push service books, help with email setup, etc.

It took less than minute for the update. The phone will have to reboot at the end.

If you've been using your PC to maintain your BB account, then you should be good to go. As to not having a BB email account, I can't speak to that one. It is my understanding that every BlackBerry with a VZW BIS account has a "@vzw.blackberry.net" address tied to the PIN. Somebody please correct me here if required, but I think you have the account, even if you don't use it.
    Thx, 99.I will leave well enough alone and call VZW if needed.
    Don't much about the blackberry.net email, but I think I remember being able to set one up...just didn't. So you maybe right.

Rooting looks a lot like building and loading a super-hybrid for your BlackBerry. It's a lot of steps, but doesn't look difficult. Like the BB and the iPad/iPhone, you can eliminate any traces of the root by reloading the official OS if you change your mind or your Nook requires service.

Can you tether your BlackBerry to the Nook?
    Well, might have to look into that then...although I like it fine right now the way it is...but If I get the itch...hahahah
    Never tried to tether, so don't know.

Russ, you have a lot of people here willing to be testers in place of Skyboxer. Just ask!
    Im glad you guys started talking about the Nook Color yesterday.I decided a few days ago that I am buying one for myself since I am going to have lots of time this summer to read.I see that it does some light surfing and has access to android apps so I figure for a tablet sized reader, it's a bargain. The playbook is just too much money for me.

I also have been reading up on rooting it. I don't think I will have it long before I wipe the OS and throw Honeycomb on it...lol. I can never seem to leave well enough alone. Maybe I will enjoy the reader and not want to do it, I dunno. Anyway, I plan on getting one as soon as I get my big check in late June. Hamster, I will be asking you some questions, I'm sure!!!!
    You will love it! I take mine everywhere with me. I've also dwnl some mp3 movies from here on CB and they play and look great. So yeah, it's a cool device for the price.
    And if you get one, we can lend books to each other!!!! How cool is that?
    Also with the nook you can "borrow" books from the library...other ereaders don't let you do that
    Ask away...I can help with what I know anyway
    05-15-11 07:27 AM

if i have a vzw.blackberry.net email acct for my bb, i have no knowledge of it and VzW never told me about it. But, i'm not worried about using it anyways.

thanks for the info 99!
    05-15-11 09:35 AM
    Jaydee, did you ever get my email with the little "care package" i sent you on Friday? I was having some yahoo email issues (like others) so I just wanna be sure you rec'd it
    05-15-11 09:39 AM
    Soooo, Sky, you really went Inc2 huh? How is it so far? Plan on rooting it at all, i've read up on it, and it seems pretty simple. similar to swapping os's on the bb. Just a few extra steps though, if i recall correctly.
    05-15-11 09:50 AM
    I'm with you, Jim..if it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.
    Lucky you to be able to get it! If I had my NE2 I might have considered it.

Re playbook...I have the nook color and it does me just fine for what I need...surfing, reading and now they have updated software to access the android market...so I'm set as well.
    Hamster and 99, I did a quick look and didn't find any info (granted I didn't look very long) on what the processor and on board memory was on the Nook Color. I like the idea of rooting it and using it as a cheaper alternative to the Playbook. How does it respond to having more than one app open and how many apps can it hold? Does putting the honeycomb on it help or hurt the memory usage? I probably should just head over to Android Center and see what they say. lol
    05-15-11 09:53 AM
    Hamster and 99, I did a quick look and didn't find any info (granted I didn't look very long) on what the processor and on board memory was on the Nook Color. I like the idea of rooting it and using it as a cheaper alternative to the Playbook. How does it respond to having more than one app open and how many apps can it hold? Does putting the honeycomb on it help or hurt the memory usage? I probably should just head over to Android Center and see what they say. lol
    Hey Midd...
    It's pretty responsive..I haven't tried very many apps yet, as the new software release just came out a couple of weeks ago and there were some issues with it in the beginning..
    Check this forum also, it's the B&N site for Nook Color:NOOKcolor General Discussion - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

Has a lot of good info as well...
    middbrew likes this.
    05-15-11 10:25 AM
    It's true. A little bit of boredom, the normal amount of BB frustration, and some questionable actions by some mods set me in a vulnerable state to be wooed by the Incredible2. There is tons for me to learn now!
    Russ, I don't think you will have trouble finding another beta tester now that you are amongst some addicts in here!

Sent from my inc2 via Tapatalk
    Thats cool, but do tell us how it is especially your comparison impressions between the inc2 and bold. I'm sure there are pluses and minuses to both. My biggest issue would be typing on the virtual kb. So keep us posted. Kinda curious why you didn't want to hang in for the 9930. That will be my next.
    05-15-11 11:24 AM
    Hey Midd...
    It's pretty responsive..I haven't tried very many apps yet, as the new software release just came out a couple of weeks ago and there were some issues with it in the beginning..
    Check this forum also, it's the B&N site for Nook Color:NOOKcolor General Discussion - Barnes & Noble Book Clubs

Has a lot of good info as well...
    Thanks Hamster. I will check it out soon, working on another theme right now. It's addictive.
    05-15-11 12:44 PM
    Hope you bought a portable gas powered generator to go with that droid?

I'll definitely be looking for some more help, sky and 2fast both did an awesome job helping me out with my last two themes.

I use a BBM group for coordinating the testing, so, if any ramblers would be interested in helping out please send me a BBM (my pin is above), I would be most grateful!

Russ.
    05-15-11 01:20 PM
    if i have a vzw.blackberry.net email acct for my bb, i have no knowledge of it and VzW
    Pink,
    I use my vzw.blackberry.net email address al the time. I'm surprised you don't use it. It's great for sending stuff to and from other users. They don't need to know your real address and you don't know theirs. It's called the device email. g to your BIS account and set it up by adding your username and the rest like above.

When I request downloads from the mobihand store, I always have them sent to my [email protected] address. That way, I don't have the same junk sitting in my pc inbox as well.

I DID receive your BattEx and I thought I thanked you. But goodness knows, I'm a looney tunes lately with my meds. So sorry if I didn't acknowledge it. But YES!!!! Thank you so much. You know how I love purple!!!
    05-15-11 01:32 PM
    Pink,
    I use my vzw.blackberry.net email address al the time. I'm surprised you don't use it. It's great for sending stuff to and from other users. They don't need to know your real address and you don't know theirs. It's called the device email. g to your BIS account and set it up by adding your username and the rest like above.

When I request downloads from the mobihand store, I always have them sent to my [email protected] address. That way, I don't have the same junk sitting in my pc inbox as well.

I DID receive your BattEx and I thought I thanked you. But goodness knows, I'm a looney tunes lately with my meds. So sorry if I didn't acknowledge it. But YES!!!! Thank you so much. You know how I love purple!!!
    nope, i never set a vzw email addy. No prob. I actually use my main email, aol, for my mobihand dwlds etc. because i do have a folder on aol for just my theme purchases and i keep all the emailed "receipts" in that folder on aol. I use my yahoo for Cb dwlding wp's and sending batex files and such. thanks for the info tho!

Ok, I'm glad you rec'd it. No, i didn't get anything back from you and thats why i questioned it, lol. I wanted to be sure it didn't get lost in cyber space and your on the other end saying to yourself "why didn't she send it?" lol. Yw, and noooooooooo.....i had NO CLUE what so ever you loved purple lmao!
    05-15-11 04:05 PM
    Thanks Hamster. I will check it out soon, working on another theme right now. It's addictive.
    AHHHHH-HA! another theme eh? Can't wait to see what your cooking up this time Midd.
    05-15-11 04:07 PM

ok, thanks for the info again. I'm just kinda draggin my feet on doing the update. IDK why. lol.

Back to the vzw.net email thing, now if like you said that there is one for each pin, I have no knowledge of it at all, OR even what the email is called for that fact for my bb.

I guess if I called big red they would be able to tell me what email name has been assigned to my vzw.net email then? Do you know? I mean, like, how did you get yours? did they just say "ok 'Tom' this is your vzw email, tomblahblah @vzw.blackberry.net" ?
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 05-15-11 at 04:15 PM.
    05-15-11 04:13 PM
    AHHHHH-HA! another theme eh? Can't wait to see what your cooking up this time Midd.
    We'll what comes out of it.

I guess if I called big red they would be able to tell me what email name has been assigned to my vzw.net email then? Do you know? I mean, like, how did you get yours? did they just say "ok 'Tom' this is your vzw email, tomblahblah @vzw.blackberry.net" ?
    And here I thought your name was P1nk, not Tom!?!?!

I do know every BB has an email address, but I have never bothered with it so I'm not going to be any help.
    05-15-11 04:38 PM
23,186 ... 592593594595596 ...