Hello ramblers!

Welcome Kate!! It's a great place to be to learn and have some fun at the same time.
    I didn't want to upgrade either to 6 but the kind folks here helped me overcome my fears, and alas I would not go back. However it is not for everyone and if you are happy with 5, that is super.

So I can just take the simm card out? Well I didn't know that...geez now I feel dumb.

Oh...pssssst...Just posted my first review....Check it out...
    Just stopping by for a little while and reading up on the posts.

Hamster, someone may have already mentioned this but the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to take the SIM out and flip it over and put it back in. Set your phone to 1XEV, it will stay that way. If you have it set to GLOBAL it will search for GSM signal as well as CDMA signal, this uses up more battery. Even if it finds a GSM signal it can't use it becuase your provider is a CDMA provider so there is no point in wasting battery looking for signal that your device can't use.

Some folks like to take the SIM out completely and store it somewhere and there is nothing wrong with that. In my old age, I could do that and then it would be safely stored forever and ever Amen. I choose to leave it in the device flipped over so that it is wear I can find it should I ever need to do so, not that I think that I will, you understand.
    04-28-11 05:50 PM
    Nope. My two year contract isn't up till next Feb. So no Bold Touch for me.
    I will just use my insurance at some point, more than likely. Maybe if I get my summer job, I will do that.

Thanks for checking into the Tour. I can't see me taking it apart...really I can't.
    Surely a summer job will net you enough money to buy a Bold Touch off contract?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-11 06:10 PM
    Hi runkle55, going to jump in here and let you know that I posted 4 golf wallpapers for you in the "Share Your Favorite Wallpaper" thread under "Stuff for you Blackberry." My husband refuses to change anything on his phone but I have on occasion got him to change the wallpapers to one of these
    Thanks for posting, I've downloaded them and may use them at some point, especially the Pebble Augusta (Amen Corner) ones.

My normal WP is the same as my avatar here.
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    04-28-11 06:59 PM
    I brought my phone to VZW and they couldn't get the piece with a small jeweler's screwdriver. Suggested I find something small and magnetized? To do what with? Drill into their skulls?
    SheesH!!!!

Russ, I think you're right. I gotta find someone to take it apart for me.
    Craigslist?
    Angie'sList?
    Where so I find someone to take my phone apart?

PS Doc says the latest round of drugs did nothing for me....so...
    On my THIRD antibiotic and 2nd steroid. Add in two cough syrups, some congestion expectorant and a partridge in a pear tree and well, I'm all set for the 12 days of Christmas in April!
    JayDee,
    Can you get something into the remainder of the plug that is still there? If so, get yourself a large sewing needle, stick the point into the part of the plug that remains in your baby and while pushing the needle really hard against the side of the plug, pull it back slowly. I would expect that it will move out, perhaps only micorns at a time but after doing it a few times there should be something that a very small pair of needle knose pliers can grab. Tweezers might work in place of the needle knose pliers but I don't think you can get enough of a grip with them. It may take a little while to work it out far enough the grab it, patience should make it happen.

Note: This is a social post of no value other than social conversation, any attempt to presume otherwise it not the responsibility of the author.
    04-28-11 07:09 PM
    Reboot took all of 3 minutes, so I'm not sure what was up the first time around. I have memory cleaner set on my QL menus and it looks like it cleans the same things...I could just use that if needed right?

I also free up memory throughout the day...And not changing themes and wallpaper will surely help...don't know if I can do that though, lol.

So I rebooted yes? Didn't touch the device as I was busy doing something else (see Jim, I can leave it alone for awhile), and I dropped 4.5 mb in 25 min. Didn't even do anything...is that normal????

My hubby,god love him, got his bold the same time as I did. He has OS5, with the default zen theme and has only done 1 battery pull since December.
    No problems at all. Although he doesn't use his phone nearly as much as I do. He uses it for bbm (to me) txt (to his mom) and phone (me and mom). Just like he's supposed to. oh and the odd picture he will take of our son
    Wonder if he is relaed to my wife... I set her up with my old Tour in anticipation of her NE2 in June so that she could try a smartphon and see how she like is. She keeps the sound set to 'phone calls only', uses it to make phone calls to me and others (occasionally). Has facebook but has only used it a time or two, has used the browser a time or two. I think she looks at the weather icon on the home screen but that is it. She gets her email on her phone but reads it on her computer at home and at work. I give up, can't do much with her.
    04-28-11 07:15 PM
    JayDee,
    Can you get something into the remainder of the plug that is still there? If so, get yourself a large sewing needle, stick the point into the part of the plug that remains in your baby and while pushing the needle really hard against the side of the plug, pull it back slowly. I would expect that it will move out, perhaps only micorns at a time but after doing it a few times there should be something that a very small pair of needle knose pliers can grab. Tweezers might work in place of the needle knose pliers but I don't think you can get enough of a grip with them. It may take a little while to work it out far enough the grab it, patience should make it happen.

Note: This is a social post of no value other than social conversation, any attempt to presume otherwise it not the responsibility of the author.
    Bob,
    Thanks for another good idea! I am willing to try anything. I will try the needle as I do have one of those lying around the house somewhere. Oh yes, usually I stick it in my eye. Much more fun than going to work...LMAO

Good to hear from you and to see you haven't lost your sense of humor!!!
    04-28-11 08:16 PM
    Bob,
    Thanks for another good idea! I am willing to try anything. I will try the needle as I do have one of those lying around the house somewhere. Oh yes, usually I stick it in my eye. Much more fun than going to work...LMAO

Good to hear from you and to see you haven't lost your sense of humor!!!
    It's about laugh or cry, I choose laugh. Still PO'd about the way we were treated, the mods have said nothing to convince me that there was not a certain amount of retribution involved. I try to be nice; however, down deep inside the blood is boiling!
    04-28-11 08:22 PM
    Surely a summer job will net you enough money to buy a Bold Touch off contract?

It will but i have other bills in mind. And I'm not sure I want a Touch screen...I really was planning on keeping my Bold till next year.

Will have to see how I feel. I have almost resigned myself to keeping it the way it is and using the BT headset when I want music. I mean...I have the headset, it's convenient and it works. I don't use a head set that often anyway...only when I walk.

A 5th Bold in under 11 months? I dunno if I can take it...
    What kinda luck do I have?
    04-28-11 08:39 PM
    If you'e using something with the 438 radio from 524, I also had intermittant issues with browsing while WiFi was enabled. That's one of the reasons that I loaded the 376 radio from 466 over the 524 hybrid. The browser works so much better that my browsing speed is as good or better on the data network than it was on WiFi. I have my WiFi disabled and don't miss it.
    Hmm, My procedure is going to be installing both 524 and 466, running the king installer, deleting the Java from the 466 install and replacing it with the java folder from the 524 (king). Is this correct?

Well crap never mind. Guess what dolt forgot to pack his sync cable to work tonight?
    Last edited by skyboxer; 04-28-11 at 09:31 PM.
    04-28-11 09:24 PM
    Not quite.

I'd install stock 466, to get the 376 radio. Copy the CDMA folder to someplace else, then uninstall 466. Run CCleaner to get rid of the OS traces, then install 524. Copy the 466 CDMA folder to the 524 folder, replacing the 524 CDMA folder. Install the hybrid in a different folder (just to get the hybrid Java folder). Delete the 524 Java folder and replace it with the hybrid Java. Some folks were having trouble with the hybrid installer, so it seems the best way to install it is to do the Java dump yourself.

Then shrink and install to your phone. When you find your cable...
    04-28-11 11:39 PM
    Hmm, My procedure is going to be installing both 524 and 466, running the king installer, deleting the Java from the 466 install and replacing it with the java folder from the 524 (king). Is this correct?

Well crap never mind. Guess what dolt forgot to pack his sync cable to work tonight?
    Underway and I both have the same setup I believe. Not sure we did it exact the same, but I found it easiest to install each 466+524 clean and fresh copies then go to the shared file and expand them delete the 524 java and add 466 java to 524. Then I deleted the wasted 466 and got rid of it. Forgot to mention I shrunk 524 first Before installing 466 java files. then ran app loader as usual. Done.
    EDIT: Sorry underway, we cross posted Ya beat me to it!
    04-28-11 11:42 PM
    You shrunk before you installed the hybrid Java? Don't you then have to shrink again? Don't you have to install the hybrid over a clean, unshrunken OS?
    04-29-11 12:01 AM
    Ok so it sounds like you two are running different OSs then. One has 466 java on 524 radio, the other has kings on 466 radio.

Of course I can't install until later, but I decided to just install the hybrid files to the 524 install, then copy the 466 sfi file into the 524 CDMA folder, overwriting the 524 version. Whether it works or not will be determined tomorrow night under the influence of some Sam Adams, unless some craft beer catches my eye.

04-29-11 12:08 AM
    You shrunk before you installed the hybrid Java? Don't you then have to shrink again? Don't you have to install the hybrid over a clean, unshrunken OS?
    I wasn't sure if I wanted to shrink out the 466 java stuff, so being undecided I chose to leave it as is and shrink the 524 only then insert the 466 java file. Worked great. If you did it the other way then it apparently works either way I average around 90% free RAM so I don't see any problem doing it this way.
    04-29-11 12:11 AM
    I think we both ended up with the 376 radio from 466 right underway? I know I did.
    04-29-11 12:13 AM
    I think we both ended up with the 376 radio from 466 right underway? I know I did.
    Yes, that's what I have. I put the hybrid Java into my 524 install folder, replacing the stock 524 Java. Then I then dropped the 376 radio from 524 into the 524 CDMA folder, then shrunk and installed to the phone.

I've never intentionally installed a hybrid over a shrunken OS. I was always afraid I'd try updating a COD that I'd shrunk out, then the entire operation would lock up and I'd brick my phone. I'm not doing that again...
    04-29-11 12:22 AM
    I could have just run the hybrid installer to get the files and copied that java folder over the 466 java. Should give the same result, I think.

04-29-11 12:27 AM
    Duh, must be getting to late. I'm F'd up. I forgot what I did.

I already had the 524 hybrid file shrunk and in my shared file from the install as it was on my bold already. So i installed the fresh 466 and extracted the cdma file out and put it in the 524 hybrid, then re-ran app loader. This installed it along with the 376 radio. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    04-29-11 12:29 AM
    I could have just run the hybrid installer to get the files and copied that java folder over the 466 java. Should give the same result, I think.

I suppose so. The end result is the same, you have the v4 hybrid Java and the 376 radio. I installed mine over 524 just because that's what the builder recommended.
    04-29-11 12:34 AM
    It will but i have other bills in mind. And I'm not sure I want a Touch screen...I really was planning on keeping my Bold till next year.

Will have to see how I feel. I have almost resigned myself to keeping it the way it is and using the BT headset when I want music. I mean...I have the headset, it's convenient and it works. I don't use a head set that often anyway...only when I walk.

A 5th Bold in under 11 months? I dunno if I can take it...
    What kinda luck do I have?
    Saw some 'CFRs' on vzw site last night for $29.99. Could be an option, won't take much of the summer job money for that. Couldn't be more than a week or so......
    04-29-11 07:50 AM
    Saw some 'CFRs' on vzw site last night for $29.99. Could be an option, won't take much of the summer job money for that. Couldn't be more than a week or so......
    I'd forgotten about the CFR option. If you use insurance, you'll get a CFR anyway. Often, VZW will sell you one without extending your contract, too, so long as you have at least half of your contract term remaining. You also cannot normally purchase more than one CFR per year per line. As always with Big Red, the primary determining factor will be the CSR that answers your call. If they know they can do it, you're in good shape.
    04-29-11 09:46 AM
    I'd forgotten about the CFR option. If you use insurance, you'll get a CFR anyway. Often, VZW will sell you one without extending your contract, too, so long as you have at least half of your contract term remaining. You also cannot normally purchase more than one CFR per year per line. As always with Big Red, the primary determining factor will be the CSR that answers your call. If they know they can do it, you're in good shape.
    So what you are both saying is that I should call VZW and speak to someone about getting a refurb?

Use my insurance? Or no? Just buy a refurb outright? Can I do that?
    04-29-11 09:50 AM
    So what you are both saying is that I should call VZW and speak to someone about getting a refurb?

Use my insurance? Or no? Just buy a refurb outright? Can I do that?
    Skip the insurance, unless you want to cover the $89 deductible.

As to buying the refurb, it's a matter of explaining your situation to VZW. They have the option (at least, they did last year) to sell one refurb per year per line for existing customers. They told me last summer that there would not be a contract extension, unless the line had less than half of it's contract term remaining, and they said that was not set in stone. Apparently, this is an option for those who misplace or otherwise lose the use of their phone but have a substantial amount of contract time remaining. Their goal is to keep you in a smartphone with its required data plan as opposed to your using an older leftover phone with no data plan to hold you over to your upgrade date.

They also have the option of allowing you to upgrade early in the case of equipment damage, despite the upgrade policy changes in January. It couldn't hurt to ask about that, either.
    Last edited by Underway99; 04-29-11 at 10:44 AM.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-29-11 10:25 AM
    Just stopping by for a little while and reading up on the posts.

Hamster, someone may have already mentioned this but the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to take the SIM out and flip it over and put it back in. Set your phone to 1XEV, it will stay that way. If you have it set to GLOBAL it will search for GSM signal as well as CDMA signal, this uses up more battery. Even if it finds a GSM signal it can't use it becuase your provider is a CDMA provider so there is no point in wasting battery looking for signal that your device can't use.

Some folks like to take the SIM out completely and store it somewhere and there is nothing wrong with that. In my old age, I could do that and then it would be safely stored forever and ever Amen. I choose to leave it in the device flipped over so that it is wear I can find it should I ever need to do so, not that I think that I will, you understand.
    Ok, flipped it over and stored it in the berry. No way am I going to put it somewhere else. Believe me, my memory ain't what it should be either
    Hope this will help my issues.

Wonder if he is relaed to my wife... I set her up with my old Tour in anticipation of her NE2 in June so that she could try a smartphon and see how she like is. She keeps the sound set to 'phone calls only', uses it to make phone calls to me and others (occasionally). Has facebook but has only used it a time or two, has used the browser a time or two. I think she looks at the weather icon on the home screen but that is it. She gets her email on her phone but reads it on her computer at home and at work. I give up, can't do much with her.
    Lol! He does the same...gets his email on phone, reads at home, then when he remembers, deletes the email on his phone without even opening a single one. They must be related. I told him if he doesn't change his theme or wallpaper soon I will do it for him
    04-29-11 02:08 PM
    Skyboxer, you get it figured out? At least one of us late niters had some good advice
    I am finding the 466 radio file an improvement so far. Let us know how it's going.
    04-29-11 06:10 PM
23,186 ... 579580581582583 ...