The superglue might work, but then you need to be sure that you stick to the headphone piece and nothing else, also that superglue doesn't get into your berry

I'd be careful about magnets, there's no telling what a magnetic field will do that close to your berry, might give it a headache that no number of gun'n'tonic's will cure.

The tip of a headphone jack is designed to be held in place by a clamp inside the socket (notice the groove around the near end of the jacks) so you would need a pretty strong magnet to get that out.

Russ.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-27-11 05:40 PM
    Well I have a workaround for Jaydee's problem. There is a contest on the main page to win a pair of bluetooth headphones. No plug needed!
    +1 to this idea! lol!
    04-27-11 05:41 PM
    Jaydee..

Wondering, can you actually see what is stuck in there? My hubby (who is my Mcgyver) suggested very slim possibly plastic tweezers?
    He also offered to do it for you, and then realized you were in NY!

Otherwise you might have to take the phone apart..as Russ suggested.
    Good luck, I hope something can be figured out.

And hopefully this next round of meds will knock this cough out.
    Get better!

Hi P1nk...been a busy day here as well. I'm going to see how my phone runs without BB Protect...As Underway and others don't have an issue with it, it might not even be the problem. So i haven't a clue
    Ugh.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-27-11 06:16 PM
    Well I have a workaround for Jaydee's problem. There is a contest on the main page to win a pair of bluetooth headphones. No plug needed!
    D'OH!
    I have BT headphones already!
    What a dolt! If I can't fix it I can use them!!!!

I like the superglue idea...Might just work...
    04-27-11 06:36 PM
    I like the super glue suggestion and if I was doing it I might try JB-Weld as it will work better metal to metal, but a little dab 'L do ya. Also maybe better yet, how about a straight pin inserted head end first and use the edge to try and snag it. A small pliers could grip the pointy end for better pulling power. Or a bobby pin cut off at the end so as to leave a small hook.
    04-27-11 06:46 PM
    A question to the Ramblers if I may. I am using .524 and I have been having issues with the quality of my voice connections, discussions are sounding choppy while showing a strong signal. I know a lot of the Ramblers try out the "leaks and hybrids". Can anyone say what they have found to be the best for voice quality, ie.. 431, 466 etc.
    04-28-11 06:36 AM
    morn all, gonna be a busy day here again.

Jaydee, sorry to hear you need ANOTHER round of ab's, hopefully this will do the trick for you. As for the magnet to get that piece out, major no-no, it'll wipe out your sd card and god only knows what would happen to the inner components and chips in the berry itself. Just like a credit card can't be exposed to a magnet same concept

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-11 06:38 AM
    A question to the Ramblers if I may. I am using .524 and I have been having issues with the quality of my voice connections, discussions are sounding choppy while showing a strong signal. I know a lot of the Ramblers try out the "leaks and hybrids". Can anyone say what they have found to be the best for voice quality, ie.. 431, 466 etc.
    I haven't seen a difference between 524 and 466 radios as far as voice quality. I think a lot of it has to do with where the towers are located and if they are from your carrier. A lot of people do like the 431 and I have never heard any one complain about the radio quality with it.
    04-28-11 07:57 AM
    Hey Guy and Gals, I posted this in off-topics but I know some of you don't go over there so I thought I would share it here as well. It's pretty funny, fishing without a pole.

YouTube - Flying Silver Carp on Wabash River in Indiana
    04-28-11 08:03 AM
    morn all, gonna be a busy day here again.

Jaydee, sorry to hear you need ANOTHER round of ab's, hopefully this will do the trick for you. As for the magnet to get that piece out, major no-no, it'll wipe out your sd card and god only knows what would happen to the inner components and chips in the berry itself. Just like a credit card can't be exposed to a magnet same concept

Hi P1nk, you are most correct that magnets are bad around conventional hard drives however cell phones use flash memory on solid state chips not affected by magnets. Holsters have magnetic closures. I still like the super glue idea..I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have this happen!
    04-28-11 08:47 AM
    Hi P1nk, you are most correct that magnets are bad around conventional hard drives however cell phones use flash memory on solid state chips not affected by magnets. Holsters have magnetic closures. I still like the super glue idea..I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have this happen!
    ahhh....your right! I NEVER thought of that, but that a lighter magnet, I would think if the magnet was very powerful it could do some damage. no?

Boy, don't i look silly now I never used a magnetic closed pouch so in my world they don't exist! lol.

hey, when i'm wrong i admit it feeling silly or not.
    04-28-11 11:02 AM
    ahhh....your right! I NEVER thought of that, but that a lighter magnet, I would think if the magnet was very powerful it could do some damage. no?

Boy, don't i look silly now I never used a magnetic closed pouch so in my world they don't exist! lol.

A more powerful magnet would definitely cause some issues. If you remember your science, a moving magnetic field causes electrons to flow in metal that the field encompasses. In english, a powerful enough magnet will be the equivalent of introducing stray electric currents inside your blackberry. Not worth the risk!

JayDee, if you could send me your berry over BBM I will gladly fix it up for you and send it back via BBM (if only, eh?).

Russ.
    04-28-11 11:19 AM
    A more powerful magnet would definitely cause some issues. If you remember your science, a moving magnetic field causes electrons to flow in metal that the field encompasses. In english, a powerful enough magnet will be the equivalent of introducing stray electric currents inside your blackberry. Not worth the risk!

JayDee, if you could send me your berry over BBM I will gladly fix it up for you and send it back via BBM (if only, eh?).

Russ.
    Gosh Russ!!
    I wish I could!!!
    I looked around for a small magnet but couldn't find anything the right size.
    I think maybe some small computer tools might work but more than likely; it has to be taken apart. I'm not very brave so Im not sure what I will do.

Maybe the superglue thing isn't such a bad idea. Will also try the Radio Shack near me. Oh and the Geek Squad at Best Buy.
    04-28-11 11:27 AM

Hey P1nk, all too funny with this! Sorry Jaydee but look how we have all come together to try and fix that darn thing!
    I do not use the magnetic closure pouch insert eye roll here however my husband does. I'm a bling girl myself much to all of my colleagues humor. He also has magnet thing stuck to dash for one vehicle to stick cell to..quite the geek..again another eye roll Personally I'm not convinced that a magnet would attract to the broken part just passed on info and thought if was interesting that Verizon suggested the same thing to her, would have to try it with another jack first. Soooo...Let's get this fixed!
    We need an update Jaydee?? We have our fingers crossed.
    04-28-11 11:42 AM
    Gosh Russ!!
    I wish I could!!!
    I looked around for a small magnet but couldn't find anything the right size.
    I think maybe some small computer tools might work but more than likely; it has to be taken apart. I'm not very brave so Im not sure what I will do.

Maybe the superglue thing isn't such a bad idea. Will also try the Radio Shack near me. Oh and the Geek Squad at Best Buy.
    Call a lock smith...I know this might sound crazy but they may be able to tap the stuck piece and pull it out
    04-28-11 11:44 AM
    It almost seems to me that that age old saying "to each their own" rules the world of our bolds. Because, one gets so many opinions on which works best as far as os's and differing combos of those. I had heard many complain of 466 and yet I thought it worked well for me. Same with the radio of 524 and yet I had no big problems I could tell with it. I have had drops occasionally lately tho with 524, but knew not if it were the radio file or not just a verizon or bold issue in general. 431 is reported by many to be stable and very good. That said I went back to it a couple weeks ago and thought it slow and sluggish. I like to tinker and have found my best concoction to date being the 524 King hybrid. It comes with a base of 524 and 534 files added along with some 6.1. I decided to swap out the radio file for the 466 radio and like it even better. I'd be hard pressed to find a better running os imho for my bold. If you don't like hybrids then you might try the straight 466. I seemed to have fixed my drop calls issues with the 466 radio , so far so good. If 524 is giving you issues then give 466 a try or best yet do what I did. Download Kings V4 and swap out the cdma file for 466.
    04-28-11 11:54 AM
    It almost seems to me that that age old saying "to each their own" rules the world of our bolds. Because, one gets so many opinions on which works best as far as os's and differing combos of those. I had heard many complain of 466 and yet I thought it worked well for me. Same with the radio of 524 and yet I had no big problems I could tell with it. I have had drops occasionally lately tho with 524, but knew not if it were the radio file or not just a verizon or bold issue in general. 431 is reported by many to be stable and very good. That said I went back to it a couple weeks ago and thought it slow and sluggish. I like to tinker and have found my best concoction to date being the 524 King hybrid. It comes with a base of 524 and 534 files added along with some 6.1. I decided to swap out the radio file for the 466 radio and like it even better. I'd be hard pressed to find a better running os imho for my bold. If you don't like hybrids then you might try the straight 466. I seemed to have fixed my drop calls issues with the 466 radio , so far so good. If 524 is giving you issues then give 466 a try or best yet do what I did. Download Kings V4 and swap out the cdma file for 466.
    +1 here, too. King v4 with the radio from 466 seems to run the best for me, too. Since you already have 524 installed on your PC, you'll either have to replace all of the files that you shrunk out (if you use the shrink utilities), or uninstall and reinstall 524. The goal is to start with a complete OS install. Then replace the 524 Java folder with the v4 hybrid Java folder. Finally, replace the radio file in 524 with the 466 radio. The hybrid installer has some issues, so your hybrid installaton will go a lot smoother if you manually swap Java folders and radio files. Then you can shrink if you want and run LOADER.
    04-28-11 12:35 PM
    I sacrificed a spare Tour to check this out for you. If the 9650 uses the same headphone jack that the Tour uses, disassembling your Bold won't help unless you plan to have the jack replaced. The jack is encased on three sides and the back by plastic. It appears to be open on the side facing the main board. My thought was that the jack might be uncovered or have a hole at the end through which you could push out the offending plug. That does not appear to be the case here.

Someone with micro-miniature repair skills could undoubtedly remove the jack, push out the plug reminant, and reinstall the jack. I'm not sure that I'd go that route if I had another way to listen to the phone, as you appear to have with a stereo BT headset or the speaker.

Now, if you were to hold out until June or so, maybe you could upgrade to one of the first Bold Touch devices from Big Red?
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-28-11 01:05 PM
    I think I'm downgrading back to .431. Wifi is giving me fits. Can't browse unless I turn it off and load a page then I can turn it back on. Just tried to end a call and got a neverending hourglass and had to pull that battery. Enough is enough (for a while).
    04-28-11 03:09 PM
    LMAO. I don't know if anyone else has seen this but everyone should give it a looksie:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/clea...-trash-609572/

The list of thanks cracks me up.
    Last edited by skyboxer; 04-28-11 at 03:20 PM.
    04-28-11 03:16 PM
    I think I'm downgrading back to .431. Wifi is giving me fits. Can't browse unless I turn it off and load a page then I can turn it back on. Just tried to end a call and got a neverending hourglass and had to pull that battery. Enough is enough (for a while).
    If you'e using something with the 438 radio from 524, I also had intermittant issues with browsing while WiFi was enabled. That's one of the reasons that I loaded the 376 radio from 466 over the 524 hybrid. The browser works so much better that my browsing speed is as good or better on the data network than it was on WiFi. I have my WiFi disabled and don't miss it.
    Last edited by Underway99; 04-28-11 at 05:14 PM.
    04-28-11 05:07 PM
    LMAO. I don't know if anyone else has seen this but everyone should give it a looksie:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/clea...-trash-609572/

The list of thanks cracks me up.
    Yes, I also see someone mentioned who is going to rein in the mods?
    LMAO
    There's always something to complain about!
    04-28-11 05:21 PM
    I sacrificed a spare Tour to check this out for you. If the 9650 uses the same headphone jack that the Tour uses, disassembling your Bold won't help unless you plan to have the jack replaced. The jack is encased on three sides and the back by plastic. It appears to be open on the side facing the main board. My thought was that the jack might be uncovered or have a hole at the end through which you could push out the offending plug. That does not appear to be the case here.

Someone with micro-miniature repair skills could undoubtedly remove the jack, push out the plug reminant, and reinstall the jack. I'm not sure that I'd go that route if I had another way to listen to the phone, as you appear to have with a stereo BT headset or the speaker.

Now, if you were to hold out until June or so, maybe you could upgrade to one of the first Bold Touch devices from Big Red?
    Nope. My two year contract isn't up till next Feb. So no Bold Touch for me.
    I will just use my insurance at some point, more than likely. Maybe if I get my summer job, I will do that.

Thanks for checking into the Tour. I can't see me taking it apart...really I can't.
    04-28-11 05:24 PM
    Re the wifi, imo the bold has the slowest wifi of any device I've ever used even from years ago. Not sure why, but the wifi is really only useful when there is no RF signal available. I haven't had that need arise yet. Gotta love verizon.
    04-28-11 05:31 PM
    If you'e using something with the 438 radio from 524, I also had intermittant issues with browsing while WiFi was enabled. That's one of the reasons that I loaded the 376 radio from 466 over the 524 hybrid. The browser works so much better that my browsing speed is as good or better on the data network than it was on WiFi. I have my WiFi disabled and don't miss it.
    I would miss wifi due to battery usage. Mostly I am in areas with strong wifi and lesser CDMA, and find having wifi on increases my battery life substantially.
    Also, I may be trying that hybrid out tonight. This browser is back to the small font that won't zoom and I'm not sure if I can stand it.
    Last edited by skyboxer; 04-28-11 at 06:04 PM.
    04-28-11 05:48 PM
23,186 ... 578579580581582 ...