Jim, for me its not much of an issue that the reboot time takes say 2-1/2mins, and then with mem enabled 6-8 mins. My issues with reboots taking that long is with as many kids as i have, one of them always needs to get in touch with me, and i'd hate like heck for it to be during a reboot that i finally get the call aft 10mins, and they're on the other end going "mom! i tried getting in touch with you for 10mins...." etc. SO thats my big issue of a reboot time taking too long, and also why i try not to reboot during the day. If so, i'll do it first thing in the a.m., ie.7-8a.m. or last thing at night, 9p.m.-ish.

[B]thankfully i don't have the spinning clock issue, knock on wood
    I understand and everybody's needs are diff. I only do a daily reboot and of course it can be done in the off hours. That said do you use the auto clean or no? Since you say you have no spinning clocks. Of course a reboot does the same thing as far as recovering memory so unless your getting the spinning clocks it may be a moot point as to need. Sounds like hamster is in need.
    04-26-11 01:37 PM
    I understand and everybody's needs are diff. I only do a daily reboot and of course it can be done in the off hours. That said do you use the auto clean or no? Since you say you have no spinning clocks. Of course a reboot does the same thing as far as recovering memory so unless your getting the spinning clocks it may be a moot point as to need. Sounds like hamster is in need.
    no, i don't use it with my bold. Although, when i had my 8330 and S2, i had the mem cleaning enabled (@30min) AND kept the mem icon on my home screen for when i needed that. Oh, also, the BatEx app i have has a mem icon, and when i click it, it forces my device to "free memory" that way.

I agree, sounds like Hamster is in need of this extra bit ATM. and hopefully will resolve the clock issue for her too
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 04-26-11 at 01:45 PM.
    04-26-11 01:42 PM
    One more thing worth mentioning, my bro and his gf were here from out of town and they both have bolds(gsm). One on os6 and one os5, both purchased that way. They had never done a reboot! EVER!! . Unbelievably they have no issues. I think we fiddle way, way, more than average users like them. They actually use their BB's as RIM intended.
    Fiddlers like us need the reboots as we're always doing something that causes that need. I rebooted their bolds and showed them the 3 key reboot method. Guess what? Little if any diff as far as improvement was noticed after the reboot. I'm talking several month old BB's here and never rebooted. They were clueless and seemingly happy in their clue-less-ness. So go figure.
    04-26-11 01:48 PM
    One more thing worth mentioning, my bro and his gf were here from out of town and they both have bolds(gsm). One on os6 and one os5, both purchased that way. They had never done a reboot! EVER!! . Unbelievably they have no issues. I think we fiddle way, way, more than average users like them. They actually use their BB's as RIM intended.
    Fiddlers like us need the reboots as we're always doing something that causes that need. I rebooted their bolds and showed them the 3 key reboot method. Guess what? Little if any diff as far as improvement was noticed after the reboot. I'm talking several month old BB's here and never rebooted. They were clueless and seemingly happy in their clue-less-ness. So go figure.
    wow, they never ever rebooted! and their bolds were running flawlessly?! Sheesh!
    Yes, i agree, we all 'fiddle' prob more than we should, but its fun LOL. I don't fiddle so much anymore though, and i have to say, i'm so proud of my little bold, its really running nicely, i can't complain I've been using the same theme for (holy sh!t) 6 days now ( insert gasp here-LOL) and I've found my bb has leaked less and is more stable. I haven't really had to click the batex mem icon much anymore to free mem. There were days, that I'd be clicking that sucker at least 4 times. I haven't clicked it once today I should prob shut my mouth now before i jinx myself!!!

ok, done! (sorry)
    04-26-11 01:54 PM
    Pink, this is the same guy(my bro, gotta love em) who kept his tmo 8700g for almost 4 years. Ha,Ha. But yeah, they had not heard the expression of "battery pull". I'm wondering how long I could go before getting the shakes or something, I'd have to do a reboot.
    04-26-11 02:03 PM
    lmao! I know, I'd start to tremble and twitch myself LOL!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-11 02:17 PM
    I don't think it's the card anymore. There is a reason the auto cleaner is enabled by default. I think the option to disable it is for a 3rd party cleaner if used. But cleaning is a must!!
    Edit" I also see the option to put an icon on the home screen for cleaning anytime. I do believe this indicates how important the cleaning function is.

OK nuff said
    Reboot took all of 3 minutes, so I'm not sure what was up the first time around. I have memory cleaner set on my QL menus and it looks like it cleans the same things...I could just use that if needed right?

no, i don't use it with my bold. Although, when i had my 8330 and S2, i had the mem cleaning enabled (@30min) AND kept the mem icon on my home screen for when i needed that. Oh, also, the BatEx app i have has a mem icon, and when i click it, it forces my device to "free memory" that way.

I agree, sounds like Hamster is in need of this extra bit ATM. and hopefully will resolve the clock issue for her too
    I also free up memory throughout the day...And not changing themes and wallpaper will surely help...don't know if I can do that though, lol.

So I rebooted yes? Didn't touch the device as I was busy doing something else (see Jim, I can leave it alone for awhile), and I dropped 4.5 mb in 25 min. Didn't even do anything...is that normal????

My hubby,god love him, got his bold the same time as I did. He has OS5, with the default zen theme and has only done 1 battery pull since December.
    No problems at all. Although he doesn't use his phone nearly as much as I do. He uses it for bbm (to me) txt (to his mom) and phone (me and mom). Just like he's supposed to. oh and the odd picture he will take of our son
    04-26-11 02:20 PM
    Hi runkle55, going to jump in here and let you know that I posted 4 golf wallpapers for you in the "Share Your Favorite Wallpaper" thread under "Stuff for you Blackberry." My husband refuses to change anything on his phone but I have on occasion got him to change the wallpapers to one of these

Thanks for the wallpaper options Elizabeth! I am going to play around with them after work tonight. Since playing Pebble Beach is on my bucket list, I want to keep that dream in front of me whenever I can.
    04-26-11 02:31 PM
    Hamsterwheel, I tend to travel in Jim's footsteps. I do a reboot every couple days using meterberry. My re-boot time is usually under 3.5 minutes. While I hover around 250 mb of memory from day to day, I have never had a memory leak like so many others. I run berryweather everyday but do a maual update from time to time. I use OS 6 memory cleaner when I choose to. I clean out the broswer cache about once a week. I only have a few themes. I use my BB for calling 80% of the time and the remaining core functions like calendar etc the other 20% of the time. To my knowledge I have nothing else running in the backgroud outside of the standard fare that RIM has built in.

While I have no hard evidence, it seems to me few of our BBs have the exact same hardware/OS/software integrity. It's as if some hardware/OS/software combinations work seamlessly with each other while others tend to argue and harrass each other. I even wonder sometimes if the bits and pieces added by the various carriers could be the culprits. I have an Alltel 9650 running 6.0.436 (their official release) while I know others have a Verizon with 431. Perhaps the carrier firmware deserves some blame or credit here.
    04-26-11 03:06 PM
    Hamsterwheel, I tend to travel in Jim's footsteps. I do a reboot every couple days using meterberry. My re-boot time is usually under 3.5 minutes. While I hover around 250 mb of memory from day to day, I have never had a memory leak like so many others. I run berryweather everyday but do a maual update from time to time. I use OS 6 memory cleaner when I choose to. I clean out the broswer cache about once a week. I only have a few themes. I use my BB for calling 80% of the time and the remaining core functions like calendar etc the other 20% of the time. To my knowledge I have nothing else running in the backgroud outside of the standard fare that RIM has built in.

While I have no hard evidence, it seems to me few of our BBs have the exact same hardware/OS/software integrity. It's as if some hardware/OS/software combinations work seamlessly with each other while others tend to argue and harrass each other. I even wonder sometimes if the bits and pieces added by the various carriers could be the culprits. I have an Alltel 9650 running 6.0.436 (their official release) while I know others have a Verizon with 431. Perhaps the carrier firmware deserves some blame or credit here.
    I gather that I do mess around with my phone alot with changing wp, themes etc. So I do expect some sort of memory leak...
    Just makes me wonder though, that the amount I have, there must be something else going on...
    Thanks for the insight, Runkle!
    04-26-11 04:17 PM
    Hamster, I too have noticed the hourglass spinning every so often on my phone. On those occasions, I do what Pink does, and press the memory ex icon from BattEx and free up memory (which is the same as memory cleaning). It seems to help.

As for letting your bb site there for 25 mins and lose memory...mine doews that all the time. This morning mine rebooted at 4:15 on my nightstand. By 7 am when I looked at it (i slept late being I am still home from work) and I had lost 31.7MB.

Your loss was faster this am but not unheard of.
    Which makes us all go..."Oh no! Not again"
    Runkle, we realized long ago that we may have the same phones but nothing's the same about them! LMAO So you are absolutely correct!

I also have BB Protect running and since I added that, I have noticed that slow down. Think that could be it?
    If I delete that, what am I losing? Do I really need BB Protect? I think I wanna try without it.
    04-26-11 04:47 PM
    Hey!
    I have a problem with my bb!
    I have the tip of a 3.5mm plug that broke off in my headphone jack!
    How do I get that out of there????
    Do you think that the VZW store can pull it out of there with a tool??
    Gonna try to get it to them tomorrow.

What do you think? Another refurb in my future? But i'd have to use my insurance?
    04-26-11 05:27 PM
    Hamster, I too have noticed the hourglass spinning every so often on my phone. On those occasions, I do what Pink does, and press the memory ex icon from BattEx and free up memory (which is the same as memory cleaning). It seems to help.

As for letting your bb site there for 25 mins and lose memory...mine doews that all the time. This morning mine rebooted at 4:15 on my nightstand. By 7 am when I looked at it (i slept late being I am still home from work) and I had lost 31.7MB.

Your loss was faster this am but not unheard of.
    Which makes us all go..."Oh no! Not again"
    Runkle, we realized long ago that we may have the same phones but nothing's the same about them! LMAO So you are absolutely correct!

I also have BB Protect running and since I added that, I have noticed that slow down. Think that could be it?
    If I delete that, what am I losing? Do I really need BB Protect? I think I wanna try without it.
    I have asked myself that as well - about BB Protect. Seems like every since I installed it, along with App World...nothing has been the same...I was cruising before I add all this stuff....I'm going to try without BB Protect first, then possibly App world..
    I've been hitting the free memory constantly it seems....lol..What we put up with!!

Hey!
    I have a problem with my bb!
    I have the tip of a 3.5mm plug that broke off in my headphone jack!
    How do I get that out of there????
    Do you think that the VZW store can pull it out of there with a tool??
    Gonna try to get it to them tomorrow.

What do you think? Another refurb in my future? But i'd have to use my insurance?
    Oh wow. They are gonna love you.
    04-26-11 05:36 PM
    It won't hurt to ask, but I think you'll wind up calling Asurion for this one. At least the deductible hasn't gone up yet. It's still $89.

If the store can't fix it, you might check out some of the breakdown photos and videos to see if you can even get to the innards of the plug, should you decide to perform surgery on your baby. If you can't get to the plug, then you'll likely have to get it replaced.

I have to ask...how did you break off just the tip?

jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-26-11 06:08 PM
    It won't hurt to ask, but I think you'll wind up calling Asurion for this one. At least the deductible hasn't gone up yet. It's still $89.

If the store can't fix it, you might check out some of the breakdown photos and videos to see if you can even get to the innards of the plug, should you decide to perform surgery on your baby. If you can't get to the plug, then you'll likely have to get it replaced.

I have to ask...how did you break off just the tip?

I have a two ended cable, a retractable one for my aux port in my car and the other end in my bb so I can play my playlists in the car. Must be the last time I removed it, the cable snapped back too quickly or something and snapped off the tip and left it in the phone. I never noticed it till today when I went to use it in the car and noticed the tip snapped off.

I'm not sure I wanna worry about replacing the phone for 89 bucks. I might just leave it and know I can't use headphones. I can always use my ipod for music if I need earbuds...

Otherwise it plays through the speak just fine and so do phone calls. It would be nice to have it fixed but I can't really afford that kind of unnecessary expense right now. I'll let them try at VZW and see what happens.
    04-26-11 06:18 PM
    Jaydee, you might also try radio shack for that broken plug, just a thought, The kids working the one up the street from me are pretty clever, also a computer fix it place like "data doctors". Not sure you have those there.
    Also, I do not have bb protect or app world. Am I missing anything? I think probably not. (issues maybe)
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-27-11 12:33 AM
    Jaydee, you might also try radio shack for that broken plug, just a thought, The kids working the one up the street from me are pretty clever, also a computer fix it place like "data doctors". Not sure you have those there.
    Also, I do not have bb protect or app world. Am I missing anything? I think probably not. (issues maybe)

Morning Everyone!

Jim, I deleted BB Protect, and App World might be next. The only reason I installed App world was to get a particular theme, but haven't used it since.
    So no, not missing anything. As for Protect...IDK if need it or not. It is a cool app, being able to backup over wifi, and to "locate" your device if missing..etc..
    But, I want to see if it was the culprit...
    I'll keep you posted

Jaydee - hope VZW can fix your issue!
    04-27-11 07:03 AM
    I have a two ended cable, a retractable one for my aux port in my car and the other end in my bb so I can play my playlists in the car. Must be the last time I removed it, the cable snapped back too quickly or something and snapped off the tip and left it in the phone. I never noticed it till today when I went to use it in the car and noticed the tip snapped off.

I'm not sure I wanna worry about replacing the phone for 89 bucks. I might just leave it and know I can't use headphones. I can always use my ipod for music if I need earbuds...

Otherwise it plays through the speak just fine and so do phone calls. It would be nice to have it fixed but I can't really afford that kind of unnecessary expense right now. I'll let them try at VZW and see what happens.
    JayDee,

Someone who is competent enough to remove the casing from your phone should be able to fix this. The headphone jacks usually are open at the other end (inside) and all that would be required is to push the broken end piece back out of the jack and voila!

Russ.
    04-27-11 10:52 AM
    Those running BB Protect, not sure that is the memory leak problem. I have it and do not have the problem. Must have been the 10,000 customer at my Alltel store and was the lucky winner of a safe and sane 9650.
    04-27-11 11:37 AM
    I have BBProtect and Appworld running on all five BlackBerry phones in the house with no memory issues. This may, once again, be another instance of every one of these things are different.
    04-27-11 11:54 AM
    Hi everyone, been a busy day for me, but boy...it sure is quiet in here! In fact, its real quiet through out CB altogether!

Jaydee, hope your feelin alot better and you get your bb fixed. My idea would be to try and pull the piece out using a tweezer or something.

On another note, I don't have BB Protect because I use Mobile Recovery, which at this point I'm considering getting rid of. I don't even use it, and it doesn't cause a mem leak for me. I do have BB App world installed, but never use it. I used it once when i first got my bold to dwld the glucose app i have. but thats it. never used it again. SO, Hamster, I hope you find the root of your problem as to why all of a sudden your mem leak became larger.

Jim, hope your knee is doing better.

Runkle, hope recovery is going smoothly as well.

Hope everyone else is doing well also!
    cbreze and jaydee5799 like this.
    04-27-11 03:18 PM
    I brought my phone to VZW and they couldn't get the piece with a small jeweler's screwdriver. Suggested I find something small and magnetized? To do what with? Drill into their skulls?
    SheesH!!!!

Russ, I think you're right. I gotta find someone to take it apart for me.
    Craigslist?
    Angie'sList?
    Where so I find someone to take my phone apart?

PS Doc says the latest round of drugs did nothing for me....so...
    On my THIRD antibiotic and 2nd steroid. Add in two cough syrups, some congestion expectorant and a partridge in a pear tree and well, I'm all set for the 12 days of Christmas in April!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 04-27-11 at 03:40 PM.
    04-27-11 03:35 PM
    Russ, I think you're right. I gotta find someone to take it apart for me.
    Craigslist?
    Angie'sList?
    Where so I find someone to take my phone apart?
    How brave are you feeling?

I've taken BB's apart before, it's not that hard, you just need to be gentle and try to use plastic tools to do it so you don't crack or damage the plastic casing. Perhaps you know someone who would do it with the aid of this video? You only need to go as far as about 2:50 in the video and you can see the headphone jack then.

Russ.
    Last edited by russnash; 04-27-11 at 04:17 PM.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-27-11 04:11 PM
    Jaydee, ask my husband and he also suggested the magnet but I'm not sure about that...my suggestion besides taking it apart is paper clip with a drop of super glue on the end till dry and see if the bond is strong enough to hold. Got to keep the day exciting heh??
    Good luck. Let us know!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-27-11 04:24 PM
    Well I have a workaround for Jaydee's problem. There is a contest on the main page to win a pair of bluetooth headphones. No plug needed!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-27-11 04:48 PM
23,186 ... 577578579580581 ...