That would be nice to have it OTA. If you want one I will put one up.

P.S. Keep on Snarking!
    BB6 users can grab it here if they don't want to screw around with crApp World:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Protect.jad

OS 5: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Protect.jad
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-06-11 at 03:16 PM.
    04-06-11 03:12 PM
    I can't stand App World either, but I see it as a necessary evil. Having a solid app store is what every developer is trying to push, and RIM is no exception. I use OTA links whenever possible, but I'll still use App World for worthwhile apps I can only get there (like BlackBerry Protect.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 03:14 PM
    I can't stand App World either, but I see it as a necessary evil. Having a solid app store is what every developer is trying to push, and RIM is no exception. I use OTA links whenever possible, but I'll still use App World for worthwhile apps I can only get there (like BlackBerry Protect.)

There's only been one app I couldn't find an OTA for, and it was a game, so I passed.
    04-06-11 03:21 PM
    Downloaded and installed Blackberry Protect, and everything worked perfectly.
    Did a back-up, tried the locate - which was as exact as you could ask for, made the device ring loud, and sent an on-screen message.
    Great app to have. I think this one's a keeper

Thanks again for the info, Midd and TY to Paul and Jaydee for trying it as well
    04-06-11 04:03 PM
    More beta testing fun for Russ!

With the dock down.

Name of the theme will be Reflex. That's not the default wall, its one I rotate through whatever theme it works with.

Last edited by skyboxer; 04-06-11 at 09:37 PM.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    04-06-11 09:18 PM
    A question about Blackberry Protect. Since it asks you to keep it active for location protection and automatic backup, how does it affect battery life? I want my battery to last as long as possible throughout the day.
    04-06-11 09:18 PM
    A question about Blackberry Protect. Since it asks you to keep it active for location protection and automatic backup, how does it affect battery life? I want my battery to last as long as possible throughout the day.
    I haven't noticed an impact on battery life and I've been running it for a while. However I've been switching OSs also and that may be offsetting the extra use.

04-06-11 09:28 PM
    I haven't really noticed any impact on battery life. I have mine set to back my phone up weekly, so that isn't causing a huge drain.

I also don't think it is constantly sending location data. If I go to the website and request my phone's location, the site actually queries the phone on the spot. This leads me to think it only sends location data when you ask for it.

04-06-11 10:11 PM
    However, the site also says that Blackberry Protect uses GPS. If your GPS is always energized, your power will drain faster than if the GPS remains secured. If you already leave it on, you won't see any difference.

04-06-11 10:30 PM
    More beta testing fun for Russ!

With the dock down.

Name of the theme will be Reflex. That's not the default wall, its one I rotate through whatever theme it works with.

Sky, 'reflex' looks REALLY nice! Are you allowed to share what shortcuts are in the theme? I will def be interestEd in this one could you let us no when this is avail alsoplease

04-07-11 05:15 AM
    Downloaded and installed Blackberry Protect, and everything worked perfectly.
    Did a back-up, tried the locate - which was as exact as you could ask for, made the device ring loud, and sent an on-screen message.
    Great app to have. I think this one's a keeper

Thanks again for the info, Midd and TY to Paul and Jaydee for trying it as well
    You're welcome. I really like it!

Your battery life shouldn't be affected by the app or not very much if it is. I have mine set to back up on a daily bases and haven't seen any difference battery life since installing it.

However, the site also says that Blackberry Protect uses GPS. If your GPS is always energized, your power will drain faster than if the GPS remains secured. If you already leave it on, you won't see any difference.

Good point. If you don't use your GPS for maps and directions much it makes sense to turn it off. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference there is with it on constantly as oppose to off all the time.
    04-07-11 05:17 AM
    also, if any of you have "trail" by raypho there's an update avail. Its to neutralize the font menu at pop up to avoid cut offs.

04-07-11 05:24 AM
    Sky, 'reflex' looks REALLY nice! Are you allowed to share what shortcuts are in the theme? I will def be interestEd in this one could you let us no when this is avail alsoplease

Are you talking about app shortcuts? So far just spacebar for QL. Ther are other shortcuts to hide the weather slot and shrink the bottom banner to allow better wallpaper viewing.

ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    04-07-11 05:37 AM
    yep! Theme shortcuts, that's exactly what I meant ok, QL for spacebar and to hide/unhide weather slot along with minimizing the bottom banner-sweet! Any others like maybe the $ for sms?

04-07-11 05:40 AM
    yep! Theme shortcuts, that's exactly what I meant ok, QL for spacebar and to hide/unhide weather slot along with minimizing the bottom banner-sweet! Any others like maybe the $ for sms?

I am sure that can be done

04-07-11 05:45 AM
    I am sure that can be done

awesome! That would be my only 'request' besides QL on the spacebar. I really hate using the sms feature thru QL cuz its so quirky, ya know?

Thanks for the info Sky, I'll be looking forward to this theme being released! Please keep us updated

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 04-07-11 at 05:52 AM.
    04-07-11 05:50 AM
    I haven't noticed an impact on battery life and I've been running it for a while. However I've been switching OSs also and that may be offsetting the extra use.

+1 no noticeable difference on 524
    04-07-11 07:11 AM
    FWIW, i know you guys are talking about BB Protect, while i have Mobile Recovery, I do have my gsp enable at all times for that app and don't notice any battery life difference on 431, as well as my BW updating every 30mins too. I can't complain.

Well.....i could about other things but i wont!LOL
    04-07-11 07:24 AM
    FWIW, i know you guys are talking about BB Protect, while i have Mobile Recovery, I do have my gsp enable at all times for that app and don't notice any battery life difference on 431, as well as my BW updating every 30mins too. I can't complain.

Well.....i could about other things but i wont!LOL
    I never turn off GPS or Wifi. I am a heavy user, emails, calls, texts, BBM, etc and most days I can thru the day without a problem. I have a charger on my desk at work, and when I get home I park my Bold on the charging pod while making dinner and helping the kids with homework.

Would my battery last longer with GPS off? I doubt it'd be a significant difference.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 04-07-11 at 07:43 AM.
    04-07-11 07:38 AM
    I never turn off GPS or Wifi. I am a heavy user, emails, calls, texts, BBM, etc and most days I can thru the day without a problem. I have a charger on my desk at work, and when I get home I park my Bold on the charging pod while making dinner and helping the kids with homework.

Would my battery last longer with GPS off, I doubt it'd be a significant difference.
    I do the same, plug in to charge while prepping dinner, hw.etc as well.

I agree, would the batt really last longer without gsp on, i don't think there'd be a huge difference either.

I know some of you think i'm nuts upstairs, but what i have found to greatly impact my battery life is when the weather is cloudy, hazy, raining and/or t-storms, snowing/snow storms. Weather like that really drains the crap outta my battery. I've watched the pattern since winter started. Like today, its raining,cloudy and just a mess outside. Where as on a clear day, I get great batt life.
    04-07-11 07:44 AM
    Hamster, I saw the issue your having with the SFX theme and the QL bar. open QL,click menu,QL options, then change the 'menu item color'

I had the same issue with Slate, my ql font was black and the bar was black, so i made the writing white and now i can see my items as i scroll
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    04-07-11 08:06 AM
    I do the same, plug in to charge while prepping dinner, hw.etc as well.

I agree, would the batt really last longer without gsp on, i don't think there'd be a huge difference either.

I know some of you think i'm nuts upstairs, but what i have found to greatly impact my battery life is when the weather is cloudy, hazy, raining and/or t-storms, snowing/snow storms. Weather like that really drains the crap outta my battery. I've watched the pattern since winter started. Like today, its raining,cloudy and just a mess outside. Where as on a clear day, I get great batt life.
    The harder you device has to work to find/keep a signal, the faster the drain.
    04-07-11 08:10 AM
    The harder you device has to work to find/keep a signal, the faster the drain.
    agreed. there was a post somewhere in the 9650 about this issue of battery drain, and i responded with the weather compounding it. Prince thought i was crazy to say that he was like, "Pink, the weather, really?" and I was like "yes-the weather!"
    04-07-11 08:16 AM
    agreed. there was a post somewhere in the 9650 about this issue of battery drain, and i responded with the weather compounding it. Prince thought i was crazy to say that he was like, "Pink, the weather, really?" and I was like "yes-the weather!"
    Well I hate to say it, but isn;t Prince a Doctor? Shouldn't he KNOW if you're crazy or not???
    HAHA
    Only joking!
    BTW galzzzzzzz...I got Trail and the update.
    04-07-11 08:47 AM
    Thanks, P1nk for the QL thing...I thought it might be it, but wanted to check to make sure it wasn't the theme...

My GPS is not on all the time, but Wifi is. Pretty good battery life...lasts the day.

Trail is nice, Jaydee...just installed the update.
    04-07-11 09:56 AM
23,186 ... 544545546547548 ...