I know many of you use BBM. I never have, although I have owned a BB for 2 1/2 years. Obviously, texting, facebook, etc are popular forms of "instant" communication. Tell me about the benefits of BBM over texting for Blackberry owners. Thanks.
    03-31-11 05:36 PM
    To add to my above post I did some further searching(amazing)and find that it does count against your data plan. So to be here with a vodafone plan and BBM while here and roaming on AT+T would incur roaming data charges. But to BBM from your home service area to anywhere in the world would not.
    Hey I did use the search feature and found my info. HA! LOL!!
    You are correct Jim. The BBM goes through the BB servers and not the carriers. But as you have found out, in order to do that you need a data plan from a carrier which will assess you based on the amount of MB or GB you use. This is the same if you are surfing the web with a browser, BBMing, Checking weather (or just having it update), or twitter and FB usage.
    03-31-11 05:51 PM
    I know many of you use BBM. I never have, although I have owned a BB for 2 1/2 years. Obviously, texting, facebook, etc are popular forms of "instant" communication. Tell me about the benefits of BBM over texting for Blackberry owners. Thanks.
    BBM is free (included with your data plan) as opposed to texting which requires you to have an SMS plan for over 250 texts, 500 texts, etc.
    BBM is more secure as it goes thru RIMs servers as opposed to text which I believe travel thru your carrier, no? Midd and Underway or pcgizmo can help me here.
    BBM allows for transfer of voice notes, pictures, videos, files right through BBM. No email necessary.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 03-31-11 at 06:36 PM.
    03-31-11 06:34 PM
    tyvm for the wp Jaydee!
    03-31-11 06:39 PM
    BBM is free (included with your data plan) as opposed to texting which requires you to have an SMS plan for over 250 texts, 500 texts, etc.
    BBM is more secure as it goes thru RIMs servers as opposed to text which I believe travel thru your carrier, no? Midd and Underway or pcgizmo can help me here.
    BBM allows for transfer of voice notes, pictures, videos, files right through BBM. No email necessary.
    You got it right jaydee. I'm not sure how secure it is, but it is better than SMS.

You can also set up groups to chat with which you can't with SMS and share calendars with BBM.
    03-31-11 06:51 PM
    okay ill try to explain the bbm overseas thing. I studied abroad last semester and traveled ALOT (went to over 30 different countries and 60 different cities). I am on verizon and let them know i was traveling overseas and that I would like to be able to use data while overseas. Since our bold is a world phone they said no problem, and all they have to do is switch your data plan from the normal bis to the international plan. The international plan worked everywhere i went (even in rural cambodia and china) and i didnt have to switch sims or anything like that (had to manually switch which service provider i used) but when you land where ever your going all you have to do is turn your bb on go to the manage connections option and select a carrier and it will connect. Once connected everything works just like it normally would. Yes bbm does count against data and goes through rims servers, but the international plan is an unlimited plan and it cost $60 a month, although it is a prorated amount ( I was going like 4 months and they started the international plan the day i left and ended it the day i got home). Once home you just have to call verizon again and tell them your back and they will switch you to the regular bis plan again and all will be fine.
    Like i said no need to switch sims or anthing like that, all i did was switch my phone to global mode and tell verizon to switch me to the international plan and everything worked just fine everywhere i went.
    jaydee5799 and hamsterwheel like this.
    03-31-11 08:59 PM
    Thanks for the BBM information jaydee et al. Now I just need to get all my family on a blackberry.
    03-31-11 09:14 PM
    For those wondering about the whole BBM/email/SMS security thing, I was able to put this together a few weeks back while researching S/MIME (secure email) support. I hope that it makes the "how" a little clearer. I know it's bad form to quote yourself and fluff the post count, but here it is...

Your best bet for routine "secure" communication is to use BBM or PIN messaging. I put quotes around secure because even the BBM or PIN messaging is not really encrypted in the normal sense (for example, by AES or DES-standards) but "scrambled" (RIM's quotes, not mine) as the data are compressed for routing through RIM's servers. By design, it can only be decrypted/descrambled by another registered BlackBerry device. It remains more secure than email because BBM and PIN messages stay within the confines of RIM's BIS, so the data remains "scrambled" on both ends of the BB-server-BB chain. It's not open like SMS or routine email, but it's not considered "secure" in a true sense, either. If I have it right, SMS and MMS does not even go through RIM, but is handled directly by the service provider. You'll have whatever security your carrier uses as part of their 3G or other digital data communications protocols, but that's it.

The entire post from page 848: http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/es...ml#post6134725
    jaydee5799 and hamsterwheel like this.
    03-31-11 10:51 PM
    okay ill try to explain the bbm overseas thing. I studied abroad last semester and traveled ALOT (went to over 30 different countries and 60 different cities). I am on verizon and let them know i was traveling overseas and that I would like to be able to use data while overseas. Since our bold is a world phone they said no problem, and all they have to do is switch your data plan from the normal bis to the international plan. The international plan worked everywhere i went (even in rural cambodia and china) and i didnt have to switch sims or anything like that (had to manually switch which service provider i used) but when you land where ever your going all you have to do is turn your bb on go to the manage connections option and select a carrier and it will connect. Once connected everything works just like it normally would. Yes bbm does count against data and goes through rims servers, but the international plan is an unlimited plan and it cost $60 a month, although it is a prorated amount ( I was going like 4 months and they started the international plan the day i left and ended it the day i got home). Once home you just have to call verizon again and tell them your back and they will switch you to the regular bis plan again and all will be fine.
    Like i said no need to switch sims or anthing like that, all i did was switch my phone to global mode and tell verizon to switch me to the international plan and everything worked just fine everywhere i went.
    +1. I used my phone (a Tour) in the same way last year in Japan, Britain, Belgium and Italy, and BBM worked without a hitch.
    03-31-11 11:00 PM
    Thanks for the BBM information jaydee et al. Now I just need to get all my family on a blackberry.
    I have the wife, the kids, and the kids' spouses all on BB. We've had a group up for a few months now. Its great for sharing grandkid pictures, new of family happenings, etc. If I post "I'm grilling ribs today for supper" they magically appear!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 12:33 AM
    Soooo the 6.1 icons are super sexy. Looking forward to seeing them in some good themes, or some good themes updated with them.

04-01-11 04:14 AM
    Soooo the 6.1 icons are super sexy. Looking forward to seeing them in some good themes, or some good themes updated with them.

Where did you see them?
    04-01-11 06:02 AM
    Where did you see them?
    Lol I didn't notice it wasn't in the blogs.
    Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter
    Last edited by skyboxer; 04-01-11 at 06:14 AM. Reason: fixed the link
    04-01-11 06:07 AM
    Hi everyone!

All this info on BBM and international stuff is great. I have family and friends all over the world and with those that have BB, BBM is a super way to communicate with them. In fact I'm trying to get everyone to convert, lol!

The traveling info is also helpful as when I do go visit them it helps to know that I can still use it without any issues.
    04-01-11 06:49 AM
    Hamster, have you been able to log into Photobucket this am?
    04-01-11 06:56 AM
    Hamster, have you been able to log into Photobucket this am?

Yes, I have. I normally don't log out, as I'm constantly needing it, lol.
    What is going on with yours? Just not able to sign in, or it won't load?
    04-01-11 06:59 AM
    Had to take a back door approach! Oh well, I'm a hacker at heart!
    Won't give me the login box when I click it.
    04-01-11 07:06 AM
    Hi everyone!

All this info on BBM and international stuff is great. I have family and friends all over the world and with those that have BB, BBM is a super way to communicate with them. In fact I'm trying to get everyone to convert, lol!

The traveling info is also helpful as when I do go visit them it helps to know that I can still use it without any issues.
    Don't forget to make good use of wifi when out of country, especially if using a prepaid SIM card. If BIS is connected bt wifi there is no data toll for BB services. Not such a big deal with the VZW international plan but it could be useful for those on other networks.

hamsterwheel likes this.
    04-01-11 07:07 AM
    yea those 6.1 icons do look pretty cool. There is a theme out now that has them but its basically the stock theme with different icons so i think i will pass.
    Six dot X - Themes BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    04-01-11 07:41 AM
    yea those 6.1 icons do look pretty cool. There is a theme out now that has them but its basically the stock theme with different icons so i think i will pass.
    +1 icons look nice, needed an update for sure.
    04-01-11 07:56 AM

Thanks for all the info on the bbm stuff RR. Although, I don't use it and prob won't travel out of the country anytime soon, lol. Its always good to know stuff like that in case one ever needs to pass it along.

I saw the 6.1 icons as well, they do look nice! Rr, I looked at this theme this morning too, and i agree, its the stock theme with updated icons-i'm passing on it to. Just not my style

G'morning all!
    04-01-11 08:12 AM
    I saw the 6.1 icons as well, they do look nice!
    The best part is people will b!tch about them and create a 5.0 theme for 6.1
    04-01-11 08:17 AM
    The best part is people will b!tch about them and create a 5.0 theme for 6.1
    your probably right!
    04-01-11 08:41 AM
    thank you vm for this Jaydee, I have 2 or 3 themes I'm considering to purchase! This would be perfect to have a discount on top of it all

04-01-11 01:49 PM

Jaydee!!!!! I went shopping!!!! And got discounts on these 2 themes!!!! TYVM!!!!

Sheath by PooterMobile

Ciel by Raypho

jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-01-11 03:29 PM
23,186 ... 537538539540541 ...