Good call Hamster! Tj could dlwd the font from your link and use my link for 'how to' install instructions! .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Woot woot! Thanks girls!! I'm using both links and gettin me some comic sans!!! Thanks thanks!!

03-23-11 08:25 PM
    well everyone, just wanted to pop in and let you know that since loading OM 3 times, (3rds a charm sort of-lol) its has been better with the typing than the first time was AND I'm using my comfortaa font I had a bit of a lag today on and off but nothing like it was the first time around. SO I'm hoping like Jim said, its just "settling" in! Oh, and someone did finally reply in the OM thread about the 'slow typing' also.

G'nite all!

Good Morning Essex Ramblers!
    Pink, hope you are able to type without having to wait for your Berry. That'd be a shame. We finally get a real browser and you can't use it...

Essex...LMK about the BattEx skin. Unzip what I sent to you because its a folder that is zipped. You need the skins zipped with NO FOLDER. Keep me posted.

Last night Al3azim and I went back and forth with a few reincarnations of the Tabbed theme he is working on. I never checked these boards because I played with the theme all night and then fell asleep. This head cold is kicking my @ss big time! That theme should be ready shortly! Yay!

It's that time again...need more names of themes to review. Let's hear some.
    Thanks!
    03-24-11 06:04 AM
    Pink, hope you are able to type without having to wait for your Berry. That'd be a shame. We finally get a real browser and you can't use it...

Essex...LMK about the BattEx skin. Unzip what I sent to you because its a folder that is zipped. You need the skins zipped with NO FOLDER. Keep me posted.

Last night Al3azim and I went back and forth with a few reincarnations of the Tabbed theme he is working on. I never checked these boards because I played with the theme all night and then fell asleep. This head cold is kicking my @ss big time! That theme should be ready shortly! Yay!

Thanks!
    Morning!

OM really is a good browser, I like it a lot. I do get some lag now and then as well, but not as bad as P1nk...hope you do have it's settled for her.

Sorry about the cold Get better soon!
    As for Tabbed, it looks pretty sweet

I just got Win 7 Professional. I think if is very well done. You should check it out

Yesterday was high of 81 and today rainy and cold with high of 69, and going down for the rest of the week..What's up with that?
    Although I guess I shouldn't be complaining with all the snow you and others are still getting up north Spring, where are you???!!!
    03-24-11 06:41 AM
    Thanks Hamster, the Win7 theme is one I spotted yesterday. I have written to the creator. I like to give them a chance to allow me to do the review before I just go ahead and purchase and write about it.

So hopefully soon I will be doing that one. Glad you like it. I live on Windoz so its a natural for me. Haha.

We only have a dusting of snow on the ground from yesterday's snow. I still have half a foot covering my lawn tho. So we won't be seeing Spring for a while yet.

23 degrees.
    Ugh!
    03-24-11 06:51 AM
    Thanks Hamster, the Win7 theme is one I spotted yesterday. I have written to the creator. I like to give them a chance to allow me to do the review before I just go ahead and purchase and write about it.

So hopefully soon I will be doing that one. Glad you like it. I live on Windoz so its a natural for me. Haha.

We only have a dusting of snow on the ground from yesterday's snow. I still have half a foot covering my lawn tho. So we won't be seeing Spring for a while yet.

23 degrees.
    Ugh!
    23 I don't know what to say. But ugh sounds about right

The windows one is pretty neat - even has a "shut down" icon which turns the device off Pretty neat.
    Only problem is that it is a large file for a theme 1.1mb, but I guess for all that it has incorporated, that is to be expected.
    03-24-11 07:41 AM
    Let's hope it is resolved the slow typing issue soon. I don't have it but I guess I'm a lucky.

Thanks!
    Morning!

OM really is a good browser, I like it a lot. I do get some lag now and then as well, but not as bad as P1nk...hope you do have it's settled for her.

Sorry about the cold Get better soon!
    As for Tabbed, it looks pretty sweet

I just got Win 7 Professional. I think if is very well done. You should check it out

Yesterday was high of 81 and today rainy and cold with high of 69, and going down for the rest of the week..What's up with that?
    Although I guess I shouldn't be complaining with all the snow you and others are still getting up north Spring, where are you???!!!
    hi everyone! Well, the OM thing, more peeps are comin outta the wood work slowly about the laggy typing. I'm glad I sub'd to that thread. Synthmole had a good point, the longer the post or the post your quoting, the worse the lag gets. I hope what ever this is that OM will get it sorted out. It is a terrific browser, I'm very thrilled with it and will use it regardless of the lag. What i will be doing from now on though, depending on the length of the posts, is just 'label' with an '@name' to who its for to make life and typing easier for me

The Tabbed theme from Al looks nice. Can't wait for that! Jaydee, have you considered reviewing one of Drew's themes? I have DReW26y SoundWaves(free vers, golden-black or blue) and the same one as you, DReW28 Pink (free or pd avail) or perhaps Gloss by bbt? i don't rem if you did that one or not. Thats another of my faves. Even InSeven Pink (or what ever other color) is a nice one too, another of my faves.

weather? wanna talk about here? huh! snow on the ground...again more sleet and snow coming today, tomorrow and prob Saturday, with nights dropping to the low 20's again. So this is Spring now??? BT, BA or JNM, who ever posted it in the BW thread were right, the earth must be in a cooling period! UGH! and our summers get cut shorter and shorter every yr it seems.
    03-24-11 07:56 AM
    I'm glad to see that I am not the only Rambler unhappy with OM. It seems that the more I use it, the less I like it. I am toying with dumping the 524 leak and reloading Shane's 466(499) hybrid or maybe King's 2.1, so that I can have the older OEM browser. To this point, the only forum that doesn't work with the 524 OEM browser is this one. Go figure.
    03-24-11 09:34 AM
    I'm glad to see that I am not the only Rambler unhappy with OM. It seems that the more I use it, the less I like it. I am toying with dumping the 524 leak and reloading Shane's 466(499) hybrid or maybe King's 2.1, so that I can have the older OEM browser. To this point, the only forum that doesn't work with the 524 OEM browser is this one. Go figure.
    I don't understand why your unhappy with om for CB browsing/posting. It's the one thing om seems good for. The BB browser takes me up to 5 minutes to load and quote a post with my comment when coming from a cold browser start. OM takes mere seconds. I agree CB is the worst site for browsing with your BB browser, but posting and browsing with OM by comparrison is a pleasure. I cannot judge my new browser operations with this 524 build using CB as any sort of baseline
    But, on other sites the speed improvment is quite noticible. OM makse posting from my berry easy compared with the oem browser.

03-24-11 09:54 AM
    I don't understand why your unhappy with om for CB browsing/posting. It's the one thing om seems good for. The BB browser takes me up to 5 minutes to load and quote a post with my comment when coming from a cold browser start. OM takes mere seconds. I agree CB is the worst site for browsing with your BB browser, but posting and browsing with OM by comparrison is a pleasure. I cannot judge my new browser operations with this 524 build using CB as any sort of baseline
    But, on other sites the speed improvment is quite noticible. OM makse posting from my berry easy compared with the oem browser.

You are right -- OM works on the CB forums where the new OEM 524 does not. The problem isn't with CB on OM. My OEM browser seems to do a decent job handling the other forum sites I visit, just not CB. Since my wife's Bold with 631 still works just fine on CB, I have to figure that they changed something in the 524 browser that makes it not render CB forums correctly.
    03-24-11 10:23 AM
    Morning Ramblers.

Once again life happens and I have been pretty busy, not os busy that I can't play golf though. Priorities!

I have had .524 running for about 2.5 days, mem loss stays under 1MB which is what has been normal for my device until the last few days on the King hybrid when I was down almost 20MB. And yes, I know that compared to some of you that is minimal loss; however, since the norm for me was under 1MB that loss was huge. Battery life is much better than on the King hybrid, back to having my bat percentage in the 30s or 40s at the end of my day. Usually runs from about 6:30 am to midnight to 1 am. SFI seems to be pretty good also, hangs in at about 3 bars most of the time. When I look at the MB signal strength log I have been staying under -100 which is very good for me at my home.

A little geekiness for Jim:
    Sockets vs HTTP is nothing more than different ways of handling addressing internally. If I remember correctly, they say memory is the second thing to go and can't remember the first, it is mostly related to how the addressing occurs for multiple browser sessions and/or tabs. I think JayDee my be able to correct me if I'm wrong or provide a better explanation. It's been a long time since I've had to work with these terms.

Gonna go fix a sandwitch, then it will be off to the golf course to meet a couple of friends. Gotta play again tomorrow to, not sure about the weekend...
    03-24-11 10:44 AM
    A friend is trying to convince me I NEED the new BB Playbook. I want another monthly bill like I want OS6 (that should get the juices flowing).

So, of course, I suspect that Verizon will forbid or charge for tethering the darn thing and that I'm not willing to pay for. I know it can be used on wifi but there might be times it would be nice to tie it to the Bold.

Thoughts?
    03-24-11 11:30 AM
    You are right -- OM works on the CB forums where the new OEM 524 does not. The problem isn't with CB on OM. My OEM browser seems to do a decent job handling the other forum sites I visit, just not CB. Since my wife's Bold with 631 still works just fine on CB, I have to figure that they changed something in the 524 browser that makes it not render CB forums correctly.
    underway, if I had your issue I'd be inclined to go back as well except for one thing. OM on CB is what makes it happen for me. I probably spend to much time browsing CB , but it is nice to be able to make a quick post using OM now that it's compatible with our devices. I also browse other forum sites(maybe 5)and I post also, doing so from the BB oem browser. No problem. It's quite ironic how a site dedicated to BB users isn't very BB browser friendly. One just needs to visit other forums to find out just how differing the experiences can be. So why not just do CB using OM and use the OEM for every thing else? This has been my decision. I find the rest of 524 to be a good experience.

A little geekiness for Jim:
    Sockets vs HTTP is nothing more than different ways of handling addressing internally. If I remember correctly, they say memory is the second thing to go and can't remember the first, it is mostly related to how the addressing occurs for multiple browser sessions and/or tabs. I think JayDee my be able to correct me if I'm wrong or provide a better explanation. It's been a long time since I've had to work with these terms.
    Thanks for chiming in with the info Bob, I forgot I switched to http yesterday till I read your post. It came as socket set as default. I don't notice any diff with using one setting over the other. I thought I might.

A friend is trying to convince me I NEED the new BB Playbook. I want another monthly bill like I want OS6 (that should get the juices flowing).

So, of course, I suspect that Verizon will forbid or charge for tethering the darn thing and that I'm not willing to pay for. I know it can be used on wifi but there might be times it would be nice to tie it to the Bold.

Thoughts?
    I really have no use for any type of tablet whether PB or ipad or whatever. Call me old fashion, but I just really dislike the touch screen experience and to have to type out an email or other type of message or note without the feedback of a real kb just does not trip my trigger at all. I have a couple laptops and a nice case I take the older lappy along on road trips for any use I may need with it's real kb and all. I can tether to each as needed so I'm good to go. I can see a need for the tablet style of device for some folks, just not a need I need.
    Would it be possible to say buy one off of ebay and use it via a bb connection for internet? I suppose verizon will have this covered. Speaking along that thought train, I see where AT+T is cracking down on tetherers and I'm not sure how they figure out if your doing it, but it makes me think that sooner or later verizon will follow suit and do the same. I wonder if 3rd party "tether" apps will still be able to act stealthly.
    Last edited by cbreze; 03-24-11 at 12:15 PM.
    03-24-11 11:58 AM

Thoughts?

I really have no use for any type of tablet whether PB or ipad or whatever. Call me old fashion, but I just really dislike the touch screen experience and to have to type out an email or other type of message or note without the feedback of a real kb just does not trip my trigger at all. I have a couple laptops and a nice case I take the older lappy along on road trips for any use I may need with it's real kb and all. I can tether to each as needed so I'm good to go. I can see a need for the tablet style of device for some folks, just not a need I need.
    Would it be possible to say buy one off of ebay and use it via a bb connection for internet? I suppose verizon will have this covered. Speaking along that thought train, I see where AT+T is cracking down on tetherers and I'm not sure how they figure out if your doing it, but it makes me think that sooner or later verizon will follow suit and do the same. I wonder if 3rd party "tether" apps will still be able to act stealthly.

If I understand correctly, Big Red will have the Playbook without 3G. If so, and they do the same thing that they did with the first iPad, they'll package it with their portable hotspot with no contract. Then you're not stuck with another $20 on your VZW bill. Now, if the new OS6.1 really materializes, the new touchscreen Bold later this year will have the hotspot, too.

As for tethering, the folks at Tether are supposedly working on a solution for the PB, too. That'd work for small data usage.

I didn't have any use for a tablet, either. But I'll be starting an MBA program next month, and all the books and such are online. All I need is WiFi and a decent screen. A notebook is too big to schlep to class, and my Kindle is just too small. If the PB has the same screen size as the Kindle, it'll be just too small for textbooks.

An iPad (first gen) with VZW's portable hotspot starts at $529, $30 more than Staples is going to ask for the WiFi PB. As much as I've been wanting a PB, the iPad may be the right choice. When I'm done with it, I can pass it to the kids and get a Playbook 2.
    03-24-11 01:30 PM

Thoughts?
    My suggestion is to do what I'm going to do, win one in a contest!

But seriously, I have a nice duel core netbook that is very light and portable and will do what I would use the PB for. So, for the price of the PB, I will just hold off on buying it.
    03-24-11 02:05 PM
    Hey Ramblers,
    going to be taking a trip soon and will be in an area with no internet access at a condo. I have Tether but in light of current trends...
    what do you think is my best plan of action?
    Shall I call VZW and ASK them about it? I intend to use my BB and Tether but for a whole week, that might call attention. Can I get service just for one month (and use it for the one week?)

Or do I need an aircard or something similar? Does VZW even have something like that? I'm spoiled. I have wi-fi and service wherever I go. I have already tried saying I won't go on this trip...but then if I stood my ground and didn't go, I'd be writing to you asking advice about a divorce....
    03-24-11 02:17 PM
    Hey Ramblers,
    going to be taking a trip soon and will be in an area with no internet access at a condo. I have Tether but in light of current trends...
    Shall I call VZW and ASK them about it? I intend to use my BB and Tether but for a whole week, that might call attention. Can I get service just for one month (and use it for the one week?)

Or do I need an aircard or something similar? Does VZW even have something like that? I'm spoiled. I have wi-fi and service wherever I go. I have already tried saying I won't go on this trip...but then if I stood my ground and didn't go, I'd be writing to you asking advice about a divorce....
    Yes, VZW had an aircard (it went into the PC-card slot), and they still have the USB-type wireless connection devices. You'll likely be stuck with a contract to get one, though. Maybe you can get one and "try it out" for a week or so and take it back. Or, take your chance with Tether. Just keep the usage to a minimum.

You should be able to find a PC-card device on eBay and activate it for just the week, too. In fact, if you'd like, I can send you my PC-card device. This notebook doesn't have a PC-card slot, so the wireless card is just sitting in a drawer. PM me if you want it.
    03-24-11 02:26 PM
    JayDee, I would not be to concerned about using tether. I use it very lightly, but I have suddenly jumped on it heavily before and I've never heard anything about it. I would not go nuts, but keeping it reasonable under 1gb perhaps should be fine. I have read on other forums of people going upwards of 5gb and more and no issue. If your worried about it then call for options, but that in itself could raise a red flag for future usage. I'd just go for it and enjoy.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-24-11 02:47 PM
    I agree. If you use your head along with Tether, you should be fine. If you are really concerned, the PC card is an option. I would definitely NOT call Big Red and ask.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-24-11 02:54 PM
    Yes, VZW had an aircard (it went into the PC-card slot), and they still have the USB-type wireless connection devices. You'll likely be stuck with a contract to get one, though. Maybe you can get one and "try it out" for a week or so and take it back. Or, take your chance with Tether. Just keep the usage to a minimum.

You should be able to find a PC-card device on eBay and activate it for just the week, too. In fact, if you'd like, I can send you my PC-card device. This notebook doesn't have a PC-card slot, so the wireless card is just sitting in a drawer. PM me if you want it.
    I sent you a PM.
    Also thanks for the advice guys. I won't call because I don't foresee me going crazy but I can't live without my Crackberry for a week!!!
    03-24-11 03:02 PM
    Hey Ramblers,

Use Tether, but as Jim says, do it judiciously. I've been using it ever since I've had a BB and love it. I also don't use it often and don't spend hours and hours on it when I do. You should be fine.
    03-24-11 05:57 PM
    Holy crow Pink, I just caught your reply lag bug in OM! That was horrible! If I posted as much as you it would drive me crazy. Luckily I usually keep mine short so hopefully it won't bug me much like that again.
    Now I never noticed this until tonight. I'm in an area that even though I have wifi, OM did not work with wifi on. I had been just turning off wifi and using 3G when I was using OM, but I decided to turn wifi back on, then used the network setup thingy in OM to try and fix the connection. OM did find a way to work, but now I'm noticing the lag. I'm gonna do some more poking around and see if I've discovered something, or I'm just really slow at noticing stuff.

Well I made it better by turning off wifi and running the network setup thingy again, then turned the images to low and turned off start page links, then shut OM down and restarted it. Dunno which one helped. I suspect it was the network config and the restart.
    Last edited by skyboxer; 03-25-11 at 03:24 AM.
    03-25-11 03:04 AM
    ok Sky, I have my start up link thing on, what does it do exactly if you shut it off?

And 'network thingy', are you talking about the' network test' option in advance opts on OM menu?
    Also, is anyone trying the new bbm in beta, 5.0.3.13?

03-25-11 06:41 AM
    ok Sky, I have my start up link thing on, what does it do exactly if you shut it off?

And 'network thingy', are you talking about the' network test' option in advance opts on OM menu?

Now I'm not sure it helped much. It seems to kick in after you can't see the entie post in the reply box.

03-25-11 06:59 AM

I will do the beta bbm thing in a day or so. I wanna make sure there are no really bad glitches from the other beta testers that are reported before I jump in. I went through a lot of trouble to get my contacts last time and I don't wanna ruin it just for a beta...besides there are plenty of bbm beta testers. I don't need to have the latest. Mine works right now!!!!
    03-25-11 07:00 AM
    Oh, and the beta BBM seems no better or worse than the release version. The "backend changes" they made didn't hurt anything. The release, and previous beta, always worked fine for me.

03-25-11 07:06 AM
23,186 ... 525526527528529 ...