After I read your comment, I kept thinking that my last post about this wasn't the whole story. You should be able to dump the S/MIME support from your phone with no ill effect. If you specifically need S/MIME, you'll know it.

The S/MIME protocol does not just "secure" your email out of the box. You have to set it up and load passwords, a personal certificate, and such to log into a secure mail server. You would likely also have a smart-card reader attached to your phone. Oh, and, for the most part, be on a BES. There are some third-party S/MIME tunnel providers for BIS, but it's primarily a BES-thing. Most requirements for this would be in higher-than-normal security environments (government, high-finance, accessing secure networks, etc). Not likely in home use. Where there was once a problem with online identity verification, there are now more user-friendly methods for companies to verify your identity. Here's a good explanation of just what S/MIME does. It's an older document, but the basics remain.

http://us.blackberry.com/business/ty...E_Brochure.pdf

Since your connection to the BIS is through a SSL connection, like logging into your bank or Amazon or Verizon, your link to RIM is decently protected. It is important to remember that email on the BIS no more secure than on your PC. It is somewhat secure for the ride between your BB and RIM's servers, but between RIM and the world, it is in the clear.

Your best bet for routine "secure" communication is to use BBM or PIN messaging. I put quotes around secure because even the BBM or PIN messaging is not really encrypted in the normal sense (for example, by AES or DES-standards) but "scrambled" (RIM's quotes, not mine) as the data are compressed for routing through RIM's servers. By design, it can only be decrypted/descrambled by another registered BlackBerry device. It remains more secure than email because BBM and PIN messages stay within the confines of RIM's BIS, so the data remains "scrambled" on both ends of the BB-server-BB chain. It's not open like SMS or routine email, but it's not considered "secure" in a true sense, either. If I have it right, SMS and MMS does not even go through RIM, but is handled directly by the service provider. You'll have whatever security VZW uses as part of their 3G or other digital data communications protocols, but that's it.
    Thanks for this info Underway! I think I followed it pretty well, but as for dumping that file off my bb even though I'm on BIS, I'll just leave it be. IDK what affects, if any, it could have if I dump it. I do have a few other things I'm gonna clean off my bb with Boss, so that alone will grab me some more mem. If I get very close to or at 300 I'll be happy enough with it I'm teetering at 274 now upon a fresh reboot, and thats not too shabby, so anything I gain after another shrink will be bonus points for me
    03-15-11 06:50 PM
    Hey Ramblers

If you missed this from the front page.

RIM advises disabling JavaScript in your BlackBerry browser after exploit discovered | CrackBerry.com

Can any of you recall the last time that RIM did anything like this?
    Last edited by Underway99; 03-15-11 at 11:14 PM.
    03-15-11 08:56 PM
    Hey Ramblers

If you missed this from the front page.

RIM advises disabling JavaScript in your BlackBerry browser after exploit discovered | CrackBerry.com

Can any of you recall the last time that RIM did anything like this?
    When I first saw this I thought they were admitting that java script was slowing down os-6 browser loading times. Ha,Ha. then I read it.
    03-15-11 11:25 PM
    Is this what happens when RIM caters to the masses instead of rewriting their own secure browser code?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-11 11:31 PM
    A "heads up" for the "tether" app. It is currently 50% off if anybody needs it.
    03-15-11 11:40 PM
    So the Juju strikes Jaydee again, this time nearly causing a meltdown. The rest of the group are exploring the depths of extreme shrinkage.
    I still haven't loaded the wallpaper changer and not sure I will now. I can't really point a finger at the app. It may have been the hybris OS, or the fact that I had recently enabled memory cleaning, or a combo of all 3 things. I'm keeping memory cleaning on for now anyway.
    As a side note, when I reinstalled 431 I used the OS that I still had installed on my netbook, which had VAD shrunk out of it. That means I'm back to being unable to assign the left convenience key to QL again. *sigh*

03-16-11 12:35 AM
    You know, what with all the talk and fear of leakage and shrinkage, maybe our Bolds are just getting old???

03-16-11 12:52 AM
    You know, what with all the talk and fear of leakage and shrinkage, maybe our Bolds are just getting old???

Its not Juju! Its low-T!

As far as the getting old, well the devices aren't old, but the components have been around a while, which makes the Bold Touch so darn exciting!

03-16-11 01:10 AM
    Its not Juju! Its low-T!

There's a pill for that. They are doing a free 30-day market evaluation of a new medication in my area for the first 50 callers with low-T. I heard it on ESPN Radio. It must be true. Right? I just have to pay for shipping and nominal handling.

03-16-11 02:25 AM
    Why is it that this is the only still standing post-release ramblings post? Haha.

03-16-11 06:40 AM
    Why is it that this is the only still standing post-release ramblings post? Haha.

Because we keep it alive with our insight and knowledge!
    03-16-11 06:48 AM

We'll be here until End Of Life and beyond!

03-16-11 06:51 AM
    Hahaa. Seriously! You guys are like on Page 850. Rediculous.

03-16-11 07:11 AM
    Feel free to join this dysfunctional group anytime....though we have had a string of bad juju lately...don't let that scare you off!
    03-16-11 07:17 AM
    OK the bad juju continues for me.
    Loaned my digital camera to a fellow teacher to shoot art projects with. Brought it back to me and said can I get a copy of the pics? Sure, i say. Let me copy them off the card and onto a cd for ya.

Guess what? All my photos ( maybe only 40) that were there already are GONZO and there's only 1 of his. he said he shot a dozen.

OMFGod!! When will this bad luck stop?????
    And Hamster...be glad I am not going with you to Vegas! Be very glad!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 03-16-11 at 08:16 AM.
    03-16-11 08:14 AM
    Battery hovering around 96 right now as I am doing BBM mostly.
    Hopefully it is NOT the refurb because I wouldn't want to have to get VZW to admit to that. But Seidio says it's not their battery.

I dunno.
    03-16-11 08:41 AM
    Battery hovering around 96 right now as I am doing BBM mostly.
    Hopefully it is NOT the refurb because I wouldn't want to have to get VZW to admit to that. But Seidio says it's not their battery.

I dunno.
    Well either way, keep a close eye on it. As far as Seidio saying its not their battery, idk if i believe that. I told you what happened to me with my S2 when I have an extended Seidio, temp & freezing issues, and I won't use one again. And, when I stopped using the extended on my S2 at the time, my issues stopped, so it was THEIR battery in my situation. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk down about them at all, as I'm sure plenty of people have the extendeds and have no issues what so ever.
    03-16-11 08:52 AM
    Hahaa. Seriously! You guys are like on Page 850. Rediculous.

Hey Death, this is a pretty good group if you can get my all the girl talk.

P.S. Congrats Death on winning SmartAlerts!
    03-16-11 09:27 AM
    Hey Death, this is a pretty good group if you can get my all the girl talk.
    GIRL talk?
    I remember a convo about low-T a few pages back!
    LMAO!!!!
    Come on Midd!!!Admit it, this thread wouldn't be the same without the girlz and our talking!

PS oh yes Hamster and Pink, you'll be getting copies of the theme. Just waiting on Xan for the codes!
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    03-16-11 09:31 AM
    Hey, one can learn a lot from girls

Regarding RIM's announcement, don't they know we keep java script disabled to facilitate the "better" browser experience. So "moot" point.
    03-16-11 09:43 AM
    GIRL talk?
    I remember a convo about low-T a few pages back!
    LMAO!!!!
    Come on Midd!!!Admit it, this thread wouldn't be the same without the girlz and our talking!
    lol, It was too convenient to say girl talk with your post of "Girls only".

Come on in Death, have a little fun and talk BB with us.
    03-16-11 09:46 AM
    And congrats to jaydee for winning BerryMail!
    03-16-11 10:36 AM
    I think the juju is changing! I won!
    And spencerdl won an IOU for a PlayBook!!!!!
    Can you imagine? Wow! Congrats spencer!!!!!
    03-16-11 11:06 AM
    woohoo!! Congrats Jaydee and spencer!! Wow...a playbook. I want one
    03-16-11 11:11 AM
    Because we keep it alive with our insight and knowledge!
    Yes. I mean where else could one learn of guns and tonic. A blowyourbrainsout kind of drink.
    03-16-11 11:23 AM
23,186 ... 502503504505506 ...