[QUOTE=P1nkD1am0nds;6133810]WoW! Very nice increase there Prince! When I did mine there were somethings that I wasn't sure if I'll ever use again, like BB App World(i know), YouTube. So I'll prob do another shrink today, tomorrow or when ever the mood strikes me and see what else i can gain I'd love to be sitting at the 300 range

To be honest I think we get caught up worrying about how much extra memory we have, unless you have a Jaydee type leak. I can't tell a difference how the device functions with the additional memory. I run my device pretty lean and mean, I have around 10-12 apps and I don't use any themes.
    Last edited by princebb; 03-15-11 at 09:21 AM.
    03-15-11 08:33 AM
    P1nk, DoD is fine to remove...the mobile banking one was in the advanced section s/mime support.

I'm with you in what else to get rid of..I do use tasks oocasionally, not too often, but it's nice to just have the option there. City ID I want to get rid of as well...
    I did get rid of App World though 300 seems like a good number
    I was a mistaken about the specific purpose for S/MIME. I was lumping it together with other secure services. S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) is primarily for handling secure email, and is sometimes used for other secure communication. For example, if you use a public key for identity verification (PKI) or other means to send and/or receive secure email, you need S/MIME installed. Most email clients and browsers support it. Some mobile banking, shopping, bill payer services, etc. use it to ensure secure communication in addition to other protocols.

Sorry for the confusion. If you need the real estate, you can delete it with BOSS, BBHTool, etc. If your application requires it, you can reinstall.
    Last edited by Underway99; 03-15-11 at 09:41 AM.
    middbrew likes this.
    03-15-11 09:38 AM
    [QUOTE=princebb;6133926]
    WoW! Very nice increase there Prince! When I did mine there were somethings that I wasn't sure if I'll ever use again, like BB App World(i know), YouTube. So I'll prob do another shrink today, tomorrow or when ever the mood strikes me and see what else i can gain I'd love to be sitting at the 300 range

To be honest I think we get caught up worrying about how much extra memory we have, unless you have a Jaydee type leak. I can't tell a difference how the device functions with the additional memory. I run my device pretty lean and mean, I have around 10-12 apps and I don't use any themes.
    I agree prince that unless you have a leakage problem or have 20-30 3rd party apps and 30 themes and are wanting add more, the need to gain more memory should be that big of an issue. We are talking a device that even without shrinking has over 200MB of on board memory. The phone won't start messing up until it gets below 12MB and I have run my old 8330 down to 4MB before. That being said, some people have said theirs starts running a little slower when they lose a bunch. So, I say shrink away! It sure doesn't hurt. Of course unless you brick your BB.

No themes?!?!?! I only have about 10. You need to talk to Hamster and P1nk about the benefits of having a lot of themes or talk to theme about their obsession with themes, not sure which.
    03-15-11 09:58 AM
    I was a mistaken about the specific purpose for S/MIME. I was lumping it together with other secure services. S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) is primarily for handling secure email, and is sometimes used for other secure communication. For example, if you use a public key for identity verification (PKI) or other means to send and/or receive secure email, you need S/MIME installed. Most email clients and browsers support it. Some mobile banking, shopping, bill payer services, etc. use it to ensure secure communication in addition to other protocols.

Sorry for the confusion. If you need the real estate, you can delete it with BOSS, BBHTool, etc. If your application requires it, you can reinstall.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    03-15-11 10:01 AM

I use tasks everyday, I'd be lost without it. The backgrounds is the default wallpapers, big time memory hogs. City ID is ok to lose too.
    I have deleted backgrounds using BBSAK as well. In fact, that's how I get rid of the opening videos.

I also use Tasks and Memopad (Actionpad) and would be lost without them. Unfortunately, it is all stored in device memory. I used to have BBNotepad because it stores the notes on a flash card instead of on device memory but for some reason like the idea of memopad better. When you open the app, there are all the memos.
    03-15-11 10:14 AM
    Hey, my battery is up to 122 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its burning up!!!

I restarted a couple of times but it has slowly risen. And I see the hourglass a lot. So I deleted the last few apps I added but I am worried.

Now 129!!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 03-15-11 at 11:32 AM.
    03-15-11 11:22 AM
    I guess if you do BBM, email, SMS, calendar, incoming calls, Twitter and want to know when its all happening, BeBuzz is the way to go. The two days I was waiting for Mobihand I had no idea. It was killing me!
    I'm glad this was a 'must have' app that you suggested to me, idk how i got along with just looking at a red blinking light all the time. Now its so much easier to know by color whats going on. Being w/out it for the 2 days must of drove you crazy! I wouldn't been outta my mind too!
    P1nk, DoD is fine to remove...the mobile banking one was in the advanced section s/mime support.

I'm with you in what else to get rid of..I do use tasks oocasionally, not too often, but it's nice to just have the option there. City ID I want to get rid of as well...
    I did get rid of App World though 300 seems like a good number
    tyvm for this Hamster. I actually didn't notice seeing it in the advanced section, but none the less, I'll hang on to that so my bb will be secured for mobile banking if i do ever decide to use it again

i will at some point get rid of App World myself.
    I use tasks everyday, I'd be lost without it. The backgrounds is the default wallpapers, big time memory hogs. City ID is ok to lose too.
    Prince, I think I used task once, outta the 3yrs i've had a bb. I really rely on the calendar though. thats my all time 'go to'

Ty for this also to remove City ID. I know in the advanced box i rem seeing that "removing some files could cause issues on some devices" so thats why i decided not to touch it.better safe than sorry
    [QUOTE=princebb;6133926]
    To be honest I think we get caught up worrying about how much extra memory we have, unless you have a Jaydee type leak. I can't tell a difference how the device functions with the additional memory. I run my device pretty lean and mean, I have around 10-12 apps and I don't use any themes. [/QUOTE]
    I do have a leak, but I've come down to more of finding whats causing it. BW sets I found only contributes to a small portion of it. Right now, i've gotten some control over it, i leak anywhere from 3-12 mbs a day now, whereas before I pin pointed it more, i was as much as 20-40mbs a day.

As for apps, I don't have very many either. I've never counted, but estimate between 15-18, now themes on the other hand not counting the fugly default os6 one, i have 16 or 17 of those, and I have 2 more on my MobiHand wishlist that I'll be purchasing prob this week!

Its not that i NEED this, but i think i feel comfortable knowing its there for the security of it all. Or am i mis-understanding something. I use BIS, but still send emails and i want them 'secured' and if i ever decide to use mobile banking, i want the same security. so i will leave that file alone.
    I agree prince that unless you have a leakage problem or have 20-30 3rd party apps and 30 themes and are wanting add more, the need to gain more memory should be that big of an issue. We are talking a device that even without shrinking has over 200MB of on board memory. The phone won't start messing up until it gets below 12MB and I have run my old 8330 down to 4MB before. That being said, some people have said theirs starts running a little slower when they lose a bunch. So, I say shrink away! It sure doesn't hurt. Of course unless you brick your BB.

No themes?!?!?! I only have about 10. You need to talk to Hamster and P1nk about the benefits of having a lot of themes or talk to theme about their obsession with themes, not sure which.
    i'm guilty for have about 16 or 17 currently and waiting to purchase 2 more this week. I can speak for myself, but I think Hamster is the same way, I love switching things up on a daily basis, sometimes switching themes 2,3 or 4 x's a day
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 03-15-11 at 11:46 AM.
    03-15-11 11:28 AM
    Its burning up!!!

I restarted a couple of times but it has slowly risen. And I see the hourglass a lot. So I deleted the last few apps I added but I am worried.
    What apps did you add? I would pull the battery and leave it out for a couple of minutes. I have seen it get that high when it is charging and there is a lot of activity (i.e., BBM, Weather updates, Twitter updates, high levels of BBM groups activity, etc, adding and deleting a lot of stuff). If it is just setting there with no activity and getting that high then I would keep a close I eye on things.
    03-15-11 11:29 AM
    I have deleted backgrounds using BBSAK as well. In fact, that's how I get rid of the opening videos.

I also use Tasks and Memopad (Actionpad) and would be lost without them. Unfortunately, it is all stored in device memory. I used to have BBNotepad because it stores the notes on a flash card instead of on device memory but for some reason like the idea of memopad better. When you open the app, there are all the memos.
    i actually haven't used any of the stock wp's myself, all but literally one time. So i think i'll take a look at these and see if they're none i'm ever gonna really use and get rid of them for the mem room.
    Its burning up!!!

omg Jaydee! 122 degrees! WTF?!?!

do you have the oem battery on you that you can use for now?? Please BE CAREFUL, that is awfully high for a temp!!! If you have the oem batt pop that sucker in!

I had an extended seidio for my S2 and had nothing but issues for the 2wks i used it thinking it was my device. Temp issues and freezing issues, I went back to the oem on my S2 at that time and all issues were solved. IMHO, i don't trust the extended batts at all. But thats just me.
    03-15-11 11:34 AM
    OK at 129 degrees it was burning my hand.
    I took the battery out.
    gave it a rest and just put it back in...we'll see. Never had it do that before. Not anything more than usual BBM, two calls...maybe it was on the charger too much. I'm taking it out of the pod for the afternoon.

put it in the freezer????
    03-15-11 11:40 AM
    I took the battery out.
    gave it a rest and just put it back in...we'll see. Never had it do that before. Not anything more than usual BBM, two calls...maybe it was on the charger too much. I'm taking it out of the pod for the afternoon.

NOO! don't put it in the freezer. let it cool down on its own.

Jeez.... 129! Definately keep a close eye on it! IF you find this to be an issue again, send it back for a replacement. IF it happens with the replacement one as well, discontinue using it all together. Unfortunately.
    03-15-11 11:43 AM
    i'm guilty for have about 16 or 17 currently and waiting to purchase 2 more this week. I can speak for myself, but I think Hamster is the same way, I love switching things up on a daily basis, sometimes switching themes 2,3 or 4 x's a day
    Yes I have about 20 And I do like changing them around. A lot. lol!

As for apps, I don't have very many at all..maybe 5?

I took the battery out.

wow - Jaydee, that is hot! Bad juju not gone yet!
    03-15-11 11:46 AM
    [QUOTE=middbrew;6134110]

I don't need anymore obsessions, I have enough already!!
    03-15-11 12:17 PM
    Its not that i NEED this, but i think i feel comfortable knowing its there for the security of it all. Or am i mis-understanding something. I use BIS, but still send emails and i want them 'secured' and if i ever decide to use mobile banking, i want the same security. so i will leave that file alone.
    After I read your comment, I kept thinking that my last post about this wasn't the whole story. You should be able to dump the S/MIME support from your phone with no ill effect. If you specifically need S/MIME, you'll know it.

The S/MIME protocol does not just "secure" your email out of the box. You have to set it up and load passwords, a personal certificate, and such to log into a secure mail server. You would likely also have a smart-card reader attached to your phone. Oh, and, for the most part, be on a BES. There are some third-party S/MIME tunnel providers for BIS, but it's primarily a BES-thing. Most requirements for this would be in higher-than-normal security environments (government, high-finance, accessing secure networks, etc). Not likely in home use. Where there was once a problem with online identity verification, there are now more user-friendly methods for companies to verify your identity. Here's a good explanation of just what S/MIME does. It's an older document, but the basics remain.

http://us.blackberry.com/business/ty...E_Brochure.pdf

Since your connection to the BIS is through a SSL connection, like logging into your bank or Amazon or Verizon, your link to RIM is decently protected. It is important to remember that email on the BIS no more secure than on your PC. It is somewhat secure for the ride between your BB and RIM's servers, but between RIM and the world, it is in the clear.

Your best bet for routine "secure" communication is to use BBM or PIN messaging. I put quotes around secure because even the BBM or PIN messaging is not really encrypted in the normal sense (for example, by AES or DES-standards) but "scrambled" (RIM's quotes, not mine) as the data are compressed for routing through RIM's servers. By design, it can only be decrypted/descrambled by another registered BlackBerry device. It remains more secure than email because BBM and PIN messages stay within the confines of RIM's BIS, so the data remains "scrambled" on both ends of the BB-server-BB chain. It's not open like SMS or routine email, but it's not considered "secure" in a true sense, either. If I have it right, SMS and MMS does not even go through RIM, but is handled directly by the service provider. You'll have whatever security VZW uses as part of their 3G or other digital data communications protocols, but that's it.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    03-15-11 01:51 PM
    I took the battery out.
    So how's it doing now? Is that your 2600mAh? The hottest my 1700 got so far is 115. I think the bigger the battery the more heat generation possibilities. Mine only got that hot once and it was when I had loaded the latest 499 hybrid and there was lots of data going in and out.
    03-15-11 02:24 PM
    I'm not sure at what temperature the battery becomes damaged. I'd put a different one in there and send the hot one back. That's your new Seidio 2600, right? I'd at least contact Seidio and find out what the environment specs are for their battery.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-15-11 02:42 PM
    I'm not sure at what temperature the battery becomes damaged. I'd put a different one in there and send the hot one back. That's your new Seidio 2600, right? I'd at least contact Seidio and find out what the environment specs are for their battery.
    So how's it doing now? Is that your 2600mAh? The hottest my 1700 got so far is 115. I think the bigger the battery the more heat generation possibilities. Mine only got that hot once and it was when I had loaded the latest 499 hybrid and there was lots of data going in and out.
    Phone seems to be running fine. Cooled down to 86 now so that's well within normal limits. I DID write to Seidio and they responded to call them so I did. The technician I spoke with said more than likely it's not their battery (he's a prophet obviously or Nostradamus) and more likely the refurb.

But the refurb is not going back unless I have a problem again. Two overheats will make me call them. Not one.

And I have two oem batteries I could swap when it gets too hot as well. So...

Does that mean I'm STILL one hot mama? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    03-15-11 04:39 PM
    Of course! Unless you gave THAT up for Lent too?
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-15-11 04:42 PM
    Jaydee, You're smokin hot!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-11 04:54 PM
    Larry,
    ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-15-11 04:56 PM
    Does that mean I'm STILL one hot mama? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Is their any doubt, your royal hotness??

OMG! So funny!!!
    Well did you??
    03-15-11 05:02 PM
    Jaydee, You're smokin hot!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHA...and my hand still stings to prove it!!!
    Gosh that phone was hot!

I think Dr. Prince needs another show on recovering from traumatic events
    03-15-11 05:04 PM
    Sure. Along with OS changes and tracking her memory loss...

03-15-11 05:06 PM
    Sure. Along with OS changes and tracking her memory loss...

Let's see, if there's 40 days of Lent, I've got how many to go?
    HAHA was gonna use BB Boss tonight. I better wait the 33 days!!
    Who knows? My phone might BLOW UP in 33 days!
    03-15-11 05:13 PM
    Let's see, if there's 40 days of Lent, I've got how many to go?
    HAHA was gonna use BB Boss tonight. I better wait the 33 days!!
    Who knows? My phone might BLOW UP in 33 days!
    Kind of makes memory leakage immaterial, doesn't it?

03-15-11 05:32 PM
23,186 ... 501502503504505 ...