You are welcome! I'm glad I could be the guinea pig for you
    And, yes it did take a few minutes - no more than 10 or so..

I still don't have this maybe someday

Me too...I'm happy with the extra mem I gained...just feels better to me
    I wouldn't say guinnea pig! LOL I am very glad I was able to ask you questions about it though! ty for being there! It also took about 10mins as well, i really started to panic after 4 mins had passed! LOL But it makes sense for it to take a little time to remove the files.

As for BeBuzz, it really does come in handy when you have your device on vibe or silent. Just as Jaydee said, and I agree, when the light flashes, you know exaclty what kind of notification your getting. Like for me, a slow pink blink is for my yahoo email. White is for my Aol. and so on. BUT, thats up to you on whether you feel its a necessity. I believe it is $4.99 or $5.99 for the app. So maybe wait till you have a coupon avail.
    03-14-11 07:27 PM
    Underway, idk if it has any code, but i didn't remove it just in case because that actually did cross my mind, so i left well emough with that alone.
    I got rid of it when doing one of my OS5 installs/reinstalls, and I had a white screen with black text. No real formatting. Some of the screen formatting code was included in the carrier default themes in OS5, and I'm not sure if that's been changed. It's 4MB+ in OS6, so I'd like to have the real estate back, but I've not yet experimented with dumping it.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    03-14-11 07:28 PM
    I got rid of it when doing one of my OS5 installs/reinstalls, and I had a white screen with black text. No real formatting. Some of the screen formatting code was included in the carrier default themes in OS5, and I'm not sure if that's been changed. It's 4MB+ in OS6, so I'd like to have the real estate back, but I've not yet experimented with dumping it.
    yeah, well I'm not up for brickin my baby, so I'll just leave it till one of you experts confirms if its ok to remove or not LOL

I agree, 4mb is alot more to gain, but right now, satisfied with what i've gained thru this shrink

edit: ok, i ran out of ty clicks, so i'm putting an iou!
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 03-14-11 at 07:33 PM.
    03-14-11 07:30 PM
    What am I getting blamed for now? I happen to think BeBuzz is a great app. I have to keep my phone on vibrate 24/7 during the work week so I like to know what is happening. At work, no noise can be made, and at home my husband says can't you quiet that annoying thing> So I need to see what color LED is there and I know what is happening.

I guess if you do BBM, email, SMS, calendar, incoming calls, Twitter and want to know when its all happening, BeBuzz is the way to go. The two days I was waiting for Mobihand I had no idea. It was killing me!
    03-14-11 07:47 PM
    I wouldn't say guinnea pig! LOL I am very glad I was able to ask you questions about it though! ty for being there! It also took about 10mins as well, i really started to panic after 4 mins had passed! LOL But it makes sense for it to take a little time to remove the files.

As for BeBuzz, it really does come in handy when you have your device on vibe or silent. Just as Jaydee said, and I agree, when the light flashes, you know exaclty what kind of notification your getting. Like for me, a slow pink blink is for my yahoo email. White is for my Aol. and so on. BUT, thats up to you on whether you feel its a necessity. I believe it is $4.99 or $5.99 for the app. So maybe wait till you have a coupon avail.
    Oh, I'm not saying that it's of no value at all. It looks neat when I can see it, but my phone sits in a belt clip or holster most of the time, so I don't see the lights much. I just don't think that the functionality is worth the resources for me.

What am I getting blamed for now? I happen to think BeBuzz is a great app. I have to keep my phone on vibrate 24/7 during the work week so I like to know what is happening. At work, no noise can be made, and at home my husband says can't you quiet that annoying thing> So I need to see what color LED is there and I know what is happening.

I guess if you do BBM, email, SMS, calendar, incoming calls, Twitter and want to know when its all happening, BeBuzz is the way to go. The two days I was waiting for Mobihand I had no idea. It was killing me!
    You're not getting blamed for anything. I knew what I was doing when I spent my $4.79. Sometimes, I wonder if I really need to keep my phone. I'll sometimes go days with almost no calls or messages. Just a little bit of email. My wife's phone, however, goes off all the time!
    Last edited by Underway99; 03-14-11 at 07:55 PM.
    03-14-11 07:50 PM

As for BeBuzz, it really does come in handy when you have your device on vibe or silent. Just as Jaydee said, and I agree, when the light flashes, you know exaclty what kind of notification your getting. Like for me, a slow pink blink is for my yahoo email. White is for my Aol. and so on BUT, thats up to you on whether you feel its a necessity. I believe it is $4.99 or $5.99 for the app. So maybe wait till you have a coupon avail.
    Hmm...I'll give it some thought - might be nice for my baby to be all dressed up

yeah, well I'm not up for brickin my baby, so I'll just leave it till one of you experts confirms if its ok to remove or not LOL

I agree, 4mb is alot more to gain, but right now, satisfied with what i've gained thru this shrink

4mb for the default theme, really? wow. I'm not touching it though - unless like P1nk says - you experts try it first

lol! Jaydee...you have never steered anyone wrong...I'm thinking of getting this app, just to see the different colors..
    Anyone have a coupon, lol!
    03-14-11 08:00 PM
    Hey Guys, I just was playin around with the new BB Boss. I did a direct shrink on my device and was able to gain another 21MB. I went from 289MB to 310MB free.
    03-14-11 08:02 PM
    Hey Guys, I just was playin around with the new BB Boss. I did a direct shrink on my device and was able to gain another 21MB. I went from 289MB to 310MB free.
    whoa, that is a lot! What did you take of this time?
    maybe I should try this again, lol!
    03-14-11 08:07 PM
    Hmm...I'll give it some thought - might be nice for my baby to be all dressed up
    Anyone have a coupon, lol!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/mob...7/index41.html

Make sure that you leave a note when you've used one!
    03-14-11 08:27 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/mob...7/index41.html

Make sure that you leave a note when you've used one!
    Thanks 99! I will....
    03-14-11 08:35 PM
    whoa, that is a lot! What did you take of this time?
    maybe I should try this again, lol!
    I basically just checked everything I had checked before with BBH Tool. All languages, all fonts, all core apps except BB Maps, calculator, memo pad, password keeper, tasks, all social apps except BBM and FB, docs to go, backgrounds, all games, some advanced options and a few more. I saw a message that it was deleting 7 files.

Edit: I figured out BB Boss deleted more fonts, a total of 21mb free.
    Last edited by princebb; 03-14-11 at 10:33 PM.
    TJC70 likes this.
    03-14-11 08:45 PM
    I really like my BeBuzz. I'm like jaydee in that I don't have sound on very often (like never lol). So, it's really nice to just see what color is flashing.
    03-14-11 09:05 PM
    ok ty for both of these!
    ok, ty again! lol. Alright, Hamster, being you did this earlier, what did you check off. I'm seeing everything and my heads spinning! LOL I need a little advise from the expert (you, lol)
    Hamster is a pro at this now so she was the right expert for you ask for advice from.

Soooooo....after shrinking that stuff off, just like Hamster, I gained about 34MB as well. now i'm sitting nicely at 274, whereas before this direct shrink i was at 241. I'm happy having that just extra lil'bit!
    I'm guessing you're so nerves anymore and can do this almost blind folded.
    03-14-11 09:10 PM
    I bought it on sale in January after JayDee kept going on about how it was a "must have". It looks cool and such, and might be of more use to me if I had email, BBM, SMS and such from a hundred different folks a day. But, without a lot going on with my phone, it's just kind of "there".
    I thought the same about it. I prefer to just use audible alerts to know what's incoming. BeBuzz seems overkill to me. If you had your phone sitting on a desktop at work and had to leave it silenced then I could see some value in the colored lite alerts. Pink probably has the pink/purple disco lites set up.

Ha,Ha. I hadn't seen this post yet when I posted. I figured tho.
    I LOVE BeBuzz!! I'm happy Jaydee told me it was a must have! I have pink & purple flashing lights for all my msgs, email, bbm, txs, etc. that come in

It's all good JayDee. BeBuzz was made just for situations like yours. It's a great app, if you need that functionality. Not everyone needs it is all. Nobody's picking on you.
    Love your new avy pic btw.

I basically just checked everything I had checked before with BBH Tool.
    I think the "boss" removes more stuff than bbh tool. Sometimes bbh tool would not remove stuff then the boss would. I was actually using both shrinker tools until I decided the boss did it all.
    Last edited by cbreze; 03-14-11 at 11:29 PM.
    03-14-11 11:15 PM
    I thought the same about it. I prefer to just use audible alerts to know what's incoming. BeBuzz seems overkill to me. If you had your phone sitting on a desktop at work and had to leave it silenced then I could see some value in the colored lite alerts. Pink probably has the pink/purple disco lites set up.
    I get over 50 emails and a few texts/BBM per day. I prefer to use the audible alerts too or sometimes it's on vibrate. The flashing and disco lights would drive me crazy!!
    03-14-11 11:31 PM

I looked again, and it appears that the default theme and the screen/display engine are separate items now. While combined, they are 4MB, the default Verizon OS6 theme is only 26K now. I figured that there can't be much in it, so I dumped the Verizon theme just to see what would happen. I used the BOSS tool to delete it directly from my phone.

Nothing unusual happened. The phone booted normally.

You can delete the default VZW theme, but leave the following file: net_rim_theme_BlackBerry6_480x360_b_01.cod . That's the screen/display engine that the themes appear to require to make everything work. The BOSS tool left that one on the phone, so since I am fearless (and sometimes clueless) and know better than the pros that put together the BOSS tool , I loaded BBMCP and I dropped that one myself. For my trouble, I got a white screen with white text in a list. Very hard to read. Don't do it.
    Last edited by Underway99; 03-15-11 at 01:33 AM.
    ThePinkChameleon and TJC70 like this.
    03-15-11 12:58 AM
    It seems I've got hit with the bad Juju. Wallpaper changer wouldnt connect so I gave it the 3 finger salute and it wouldn't boot up. It kept getting stuck at the same place it stays so long on the initial bootup after loading an OS.
    I'm now rolling back to .431 and leaving the wallpaper changer alone.
    03-15-11 01:02 AM
    It seems I've got hit with the bad Juju. Wallpaper changer wouldnt connect so I gave it the 3 finger salute and it wouldn't boot up. It kept getting stuck at the same place it stays so long on the initial bootup after loading an OS.
    Get that bad juju outta here!
    03-15-11 01:06 AM
    It was strong juju too. A bunch of apps were gone, and not just 3rd party ones either. Browser, tasks, etc were saying install instead of downgrade which to me meant they were MIA. Weird.
    Nothing missing I couldnt replace though. Multiple layers of backups, etc allowed me to get it all back.
    03-15-11 02:43 AM
    I basically just checked everything I had checked before with BBH Tool. All languages, all fonts, all core apps except BB Maps, calculator, memo pad, password keeper, tasks, all social apps except BBM and FB, docs to go, backgrounds, all games, some advanced options and a few more. I saw a message that it was deleting 7 files.

So it seems Boss is the way to go then?! Way to go Prince..do you notice a difference in performance with that much free memory?

Hamster is a pro at this now so she was the right expert for you ask for advice from.

A pro thanks to you Midd, and others here...

I looked again, and it appears that the default theme and the screen/display engine are separate items now. While combined, they are 4MB, the default Verizon OS6 theme is only 26K now. I figured that there can't be much in it, so I dumped the Verizon theme just to see what would happen. I used the BOSS tool to delete it directly from my phone.

You can delete the default VZW theme, but leave the following file: net_rim_theme_BlackBerry6_480x360_b_01.cod . That's the screen/display engine that the themes appear to require to make everything work. The BOSS tool left that one on the phone, so since I am fearless (and sometimes clueless) and know better than the pros that put together the BOSS tool , I loaded BBMCP and I dropped that one myself. For my trouble, I got a white screen with white text in a list. Very hard to read. Don't do it.
    Thanks for testing this out for us Will leave it alone. Not clueless - adventurous

It was strong juju too. A bunch of apps were gone, and not just 3rd party ones either. Browser, tasks, etc were saying install instead of downgrade which to me meant they were MIA. Weird.
    Nothing missing I couldnt replace though. Multiple layers of backups, etc allowed me to get it all back.
    Hooray for back-ups! Good thing we OCD's are well prepared for when we mess with our devices
    Getting really tired of this bad juju though...JUJU, please leave!!!
    03-15-11 06:58 AM
    Oh god! Not the bad juju again!!!!!

You guys and your fiddling!

I'm back on 431 as well and staying there for a while, I swear. Wait...I swear anyways. Oh well, I mean it, how's that???

And Underway, when I used the older ver of Boss, it must have deleted the file you are saying to leave because that's what I got. A white screen with black lettering listing everything on my phone. I said initially it looked like a theme was missing. I guess that is the same error you got.

I might try Boss again tho to shrink while on my phone since I used BBHTools to do my install. Let's see if I can recover some MBs...

I just remembered....
    BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 03-15-11 at 07:50 AM.
    03-15-11 07:29 AM
    WoW! Very nice increase there Prince! When I did mine there were somethings that I wasn't sure if I'll ever use again, like BB App World(i know), YouTube. So I'll prob do another shrink today, tomorrow or when ever the mood strikes me and see what else i can gain I'd love to be sitting at the 300 range
    Tasks is one that I kept also, but honestly, since my first bb, I've never ever used it so next shrink I'll ditch it. I noticed you ditched "backgrounds" what exactly does that cover? And from advanced, what is safe to get rid of, I was looking to ditch City ID, is that one safe?

LOL Midd, lets not get ahead of ourselves! I'm gonna keep my eyes open when doing this stuff

Yes, I agree, Hamster is doing very well
    SO, I have one other technical question. I remember about 10 or 20 pages back when we were first talking about shrink while installing. Someone, i dont recall who, mentioned about a certain file not to get rid of if you planned on using mobile banking, because it secured the bb. Was that the "DoD" files? I really can't rem. I ditched it last night with my shrink, and I haven't done mobile banking on my bb in over a year, but one never knows when you may have to. So, is that the filed needed(dod)? and if so, could I put it back on or is this gone for good unless i reload the os now?
    03-15-11 07:33 AM

Ha,Ha. I hadn't seen this post yet when I posted. I figured tho.

I think the "boss" removes more stuff than bbh tool. Sometimes bbh tool would not remove stuff then the boss would. I was actually using both shrinker tools until I decided the boss did it all.
    hee hee! Everything has pink, purple or both colors except for my calendar, aol and my hubby, he gets a special color

I've never used the Hybrid to shrink, although I do have that file on my laptop as well, but using Boss for the first time last night, and its very simplified, as long as you know what to delete. I will still step cautious because I'm still learning this aspect of shrinking
    I get over 50 emails and a few texts/BBM per day. I prefer to use the audible alerts too or sometimes it's on vibrate. The flashing and disco lights would drive me crazy!!
    I actually thought it would make me bonkers too, but actually, I like it!

You can delete the default VZW theme, but leave the following file: net_rim_theme_BlackBerry6_480x360_b_01.cod . That's the screen/display engine that the themes appear to require to make everything work. The BOSS tool left that one on the phone, so since I am fearless (and sometimes clueless) and know better than the pros that put together the BOSS tool, I loaded BBMCP and I dropped that one myself. For my trouble, I got a white screen with white text in a list. Very hard to read. Don't do it.
    TYvm for this Underway Honestly for just 26kb, I'll leave well enough alone with the fugly stock os6 theme. I will however seek out to see what else I could get rid of safely that I don't use.
    oh no Sky! I have the wp changer also(im on431) but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet so I can't give you any feed back on how it performs on 431.
    Good luck on your rollback to 431
    keep us posted on how things went!

JUJU! GO AWAY!!
    03-15-11 07:42 AM
    WoW! Very nice increase there Prince! When I did mine there were somethings that I wasn't sure if I'll ever use again, like BB App World(i know), YouTube. So I'll prob do another shrink today, tomorrow or when ever the mood strikes me and see what else i can gain I'd love to be sitting at the 300 range

Tasks is one that I kept also, but honestly, since my first bb, I've never ever used it so next shrink I'll ditch it. I noticed you ditched "backgrounds" what exactly does that cover? And from advanced, what is safe to get rid of, I was looking to ditch City ID, is that one safe?

LOL Midd, lets not get ahead of ourselves! I'm gonna keep my eyes open when doing this stuff

Yes, I agree, Hamster is doing very well
    SO, I have one other technical question. I remember about 10 or 20 pages back when we were first talking about shrink while installing. Someone, i dont recall who, mentioned about a certain file not to get rid of if you planned on using mobile banking, because it secured the bb. Was that the "DoD" files? I really can't rem. I ditched it last night with my shrink, and I haven't done mobile banking on my bb in over a year, but one never knows when you may have to. So, is that the filed needed(dod)? and if so, could I put it back on or is this gone for good unless i reload the os now?
    P1nk, DoD is fine to remove...the mobile banking one was in the advanced section s/mime support.

I'm with you in what else to get rid of..I do use tasks oocasionally, not too often, but it's nice to just have the option there. City ID I want to get rid of as well...
    I did get rid of App World though 300 seems like a good number
    03-15-11 08:08 AM
    [QUOTE=P1nkD1am0nds;6133810]Tasks is one that I kept also, but honestly, since my first bb, I've never ever used it so next shrink I'll ditch it. I noticed you ditched "backgrounds" what exactly does that cover? And from advanced, what is safe to get rid of, I was looking to ditch City ID, is that one safe?

I use tasks everyday, I'd be lost without it. The backgrounds is the default wallpapers, big time memory hogs. City ID is ok to lose too.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    03-15-11 08:19 AM
23,186 ... 500501502503504 ...