I've got to agree with JayDee. While none of the shrink tools have been great, the BBHybrids Tool (or BBH Tool) has been the most consistent for me.
    03-14-11 08:53 AM
    I still have two apps that won't activate. Ive written to the devs and heard from one. But it still isn't right.

I will just use the trials then...Although one I just bought from Mobihand do they should be working on it.

Grrrrrr
    always something to make me mad!!!
    03-14-11 11:13 AM
    I've got to agree with JayDee. While none of the shrink tools have been great, the BBHybrids Tool (or BBH Tool) has been the most consistent for me.
    Does this version shrink out the startup video? That's the reason I left it for the "Boss". Boss version 2.0 has been working well for me.

I still have two apps that won't activate. Ive written to the devs and heard from one. But it still isn't right.

I will just use the trials then...Although one I just bought from Mobihand do they should be working on it.

Grrrrrr
    always something to make me mad!!!
    I hope you get everything squared away. If I had those issues I'd be gunning for the tonics for sure.
    Last edited by cbreze; 03-14-11 at 11:28 AM.
    03-14-11 11:25 AM
    Hey guys, lots going on here again.

JayDee, do you still have MB? If you do, set it to recover memory when idle. That feature works for me as I have had my lost mem go up a few MBs and looked later to find it back down.

I have used BB Boss to shrink on the phone and picked up about 20MBs of space. Works just fine but does take a while to run.

Just saw a couple of posts that indicate Shane has released another hybrid, I've got the itch to do an update so maybe I'll try and do that today.

Hamster and P!nk, hope you have gotten over the willies about shrinking, the worst you can do is brick the device and then go back and load a fresh version of the OS and do it again. A little annoying but hey, go for the adventure...
    03-14-11 11:36 AM

JayDee, do you still have MB? If you do, set it to recover memory when idle. That feature works for me as I have had my lost mem go up a few MBs and looked later to find it back down.

I have used BB Boss to shrink on the phone and picked up about 20MBs of space. Works just fine but does take a while to run.

Just saw a couple of posts that indicate Shane has released another hybrid, I've got the itch to do an update so maybe I'll try and do that today.

Hamster and P!nk, hope you have gotten over the willies about shrinking, the worst you can do is brick the device and then go back and load a fresh version of the OS and do it again. A little annoying but hey, go for the adventure...
    I'm running that new hybrid. It's essentially a 499 Java over 466. It seems to run OK, but I'm not decided yet on the battery life. It's not as good as 431 or 436, probably because it has the 466 radio, which wasn't great for battery. The WiFi browser bug is back too. I'll keep this for a few days, but I'm likely going to drop back to 431 again.
    03-14-11 11:40 AM
    Does this version shrink out the startup video? That's the reason I left it for the "Boss". Boss version 2.0 has been working well for me.
    That is one of the reasons I like BB Boss as well. It's very nice now that the Japanese language issue has been fixed in version 2.2.2. http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/bb-...-2-2-a-590346/
    03-14-11 11:41 AM
    Bob, I've also installed the 499 hybrid. Underway, I have not noticed the wifi bug yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it now that you mention it. My battery life is fine and no difference that I can discern from any other builds. I must have a very blessed bold for battery life as it always seems good no matter which os I upgrade to.(1700mAh) I also do not notice anything worse or different with the 466 radio. It seems as good as any other os I've tried. Maybe if I was in an area of poor reception it might be more noticeable , but my house area has the same bars as always. I like this build alot and so far have no issues, I'll be sticking to it if it continues to perform this well. So thumbs up from me so far.

That is one of the reasons I like BB Boss as well. It's very nice now that the Japanese language issue has been fixed in version 2.2.2. http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/bb-...-2-2-a-590346/
    +1 for the "Boss". Since 2.0 works consistently every time for me I'll probably just stick with it. I feel I've finally found one that actually removes everything I check off.
    Last edited by cbreze; 03-14-11 at 11:56 AM.
    03-14-11 11:48 AM

Remember that a memory recovery feature is part of the OS now. You don't have to run MB.
    03-14-11 11:49 AM
    Bob, I've also installed the 499 hybrid. Underway, I have not noticed the wifi bug yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it now that you mention it. My battery life is fine and no difference that I can discern from any other builds. I must have a very blessed bold for battery life as it always seems good no matter which os I upgrade to. I also do not notice anything worse or different with the 466 radio. It seems as good as any other os I've tried. Maybe if I was in an area of poor reception it might be more noticeable , but my house area has the same bars as always. I like this build alot and so far have no issues, I'll be sticking to it if it continues to perform this well. So thumbs up from me so far.
    Part of the reason that I'm keeping the 499 hybrid for now is that my wife's Bold is also having battery problems. I have 431 on hers, and I cannot imagine that both of our phones with different radios will have power issues at the same time. I've replaced both batteries with fresh ones, but our drain remains almost twice the norm. Her reception seems to be rock-solid though, whereas mine is all over the place.
    03-14-11 11:56 AM
    I'm running that new hybrid. It's essentially a 499 Java over 466. It seems to run OK, but I'm not decided yet on the battery life. It's not as good as 431 or 436, probably because it has the 466 radio, which wasn't great for battery. The WiFi browser bug is back too. I'll keep this for a few days, but I'm likely going to drop back to 431 again.
    Bob, I've also installed the 499 hybrid. Underway, I have not noticed the wifi bug yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it now that you mention it. My battery life is fine and no difference that I can discern from any other builds. I must have a very blessed bold for battery life as it always seems good no matter which os I upgrade to.(1700mAh) I also do not notice anything worse or different with the 466 radio. It seems as good as any other os I've tried. Maybe if I was in an area of poor reception it might be more noticeable , but my house area has the same bars as always. I like this build alot and so far have no issues, I'll be sticking to it if it continues to perform this well. So thumbs up from me so far.
    I'm running the 499 hybrid as well. It took a couple of days for the OS to settle in. Now I'm getting pretty good battery life (about a 3% loss per day). Memory has been very good (10MB after 1day 19hrs).
    03-14-11 11:59 AM
    I deleted the startup video with the last version.
    03-14-11 12:01 PM
    Part of the reason that I'm keeping the 499 hybrid for now is that my wife's Bold is also having battery problems. I have 431 on hers, and I cannot imagine that both of our phones with different radios will have power issues at the same time. I've replaced both batteries with fresh ones, but our drain remains almost twice the norm. Her reception seems to be rock-solid though, whereas mine is all over the place.
    Interesting, I had sig bars all over the place with just about every other os. Sometimes they would just drop off entirely. So far so good with 499 in that regard. If it's one I've figured out is it seems two devices can work differently even tho they are the same, different results. Strange, but it makes me try stuff even if others are having less than good results. Hope you get it figured out.

I'm running the 499 hybrid as well. It took a couple of days for the OS to settle in. Now I'm getting pretty good battery life (about a 3% loss per day). Memory has been very good (10MB after 1day 19hrs).
    Regarding memory, now that I have batt ex monitoring it, I see a fluctuation around 94% free RAM and 86% free. It always comes back up on it's own, no reboot required. I'm assuming this is normal behavior. I do reboot every morning and it seems to make for a trouble free operations all day long.
    Last edited by cbreze; 03-14-11 at 12:06 PM.
    03-14-11 12:01 PM
    Remember that a memory recovery feature is part of the OS now. You don't have to run MB.
    Regarding memory, now that I have batt ex monitoring it, I see a fluctuation around 94% free RAM and 86% free. It always comes back up on it's own, no reboot required. I'm assuming this is normal behavior. I do reboot every morning and it seems to make for a trouble free operations all day long.
    I would say your memory fluctuation is the memory being recovered by the feature Underway was referring to.

I only reboot every three or four days and this is only because I'm adding or deleting something from my phone.
    03-14-11 12:13 PM
    It isn't just reception bars bouncing. I lose data connectivity.

I'm not sure that the increased power consumption isn't related to possible tower problems or some other external event. The probability of both phones with a good history of battery life suddenly having what looks like the same power drain is pretty remote.

BTW, I, too, have had to either manually remove the startup video OR put back something that I'd intended to leave in my OS with BOSS v2.2. I typically leave in the default ringtones and backgrounds, so that I have something that works if the older ringtone COD doesn't load. BOSS takes them out anyway.
    Last edited by Underway99; 03-14-11 at 12:25 PM.
    03-14-11 12:19 PM

Bob..I'm all set up and going to do it now I'm kinda liking the adventure ride...and I'll only get more experience with loading OS's

Thanks again....Going to go for it!

Just checking things off...What is Chinese reader, fetion, etc?
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 03-14-11 at 01:03 PM.
    03-14-11 12:52 PM
    I had forgotten about MB and recovering memory. But Underway, you're saying I shouldn't enable it?

I found this cool free app called AUTMemory. It forces all memory to be released that isn't being used. I like it better then memory cleaning because it shows a pie chart and on this day of PI...

Maybe it's an added app I don't need but I like pressing it and well, it seems to free up memory (you know...from the 90MB we have available on the device)

Just a note on my three-of-a-kind...by far the tightest and least springy of a keyboard is the one I have now. And I have used 4 of them. But I kinda got used to the pressure required to type so all's good. These later devices are of a much better quality than my original, I believe. Keyboard-wise anyway.
    03-14-11 01:06 PM
    Bob..I'm all set up and going to do it now I'm kinda liking the adventure ride...and I'll only get more experience with loading OS's

Thanks again....Going to go for it!

Just checking things off...What is Chinese reader, fetion, etc?
    Fetion is an IM app. The Chinese reader is for translating Chinese characters. I always get rid of both. I'm not sure Fetion is even in the OS as I haven't gone through and looked at all the CODs in each build.
    03-14-11 01:24 PM
    It's rebooting...I hope I hope I hope..

It worked!!!! According to BB Meter, I gained 34mb!

THANKS to everyone who helped and put up with me and my willies (as Bob would say), answered my thousand questions, and were there to help!!!!!
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 03-14-11 at 01:45 PM.
    03-14-11 01:36 PM
    It's rebooting...I hope I hope I hope..

It worked!!!! According to BB Meter, I gained 34mb!

THANKS to everyone who helped and put up with me and my willies (as Bob would say), answered my thousand questions, and were there to help!!!!!
    Your a real pro now Hamster!
    03-14-11 01:46 PM
    I had forgotten about MB and recovering memory. But Underway, you're saying I shouldn't enable it?

I found this cool free app called AUTMemory. It forces all memory to be released that isn't being used. I like it better then memory cleaning because it shows a pie chart and on this day of PI...

Maybe it's an added app I don't need but I like pressing it and well, it seems to free up memory (you know...from the 90MB we have available on the device)

Just a note on my three-of-a-kind...by far the tightest and least springy of a keyboard is the one I have now. And I have used 4 of them. But I kinda got used to the pressure required to type so all's good. These later devices are of a much better quality than my original, I believe. Keyboard-wise anyway.
    I am NOT telling you not to enable the memory cleaning. I have my OS set to reclaim memory every 30 minutes when idle. I don't set it in MB if I'm using the native app. As I understand it, MB just runs the native memory cleaner at whatever interval you set. Recall that MB runs on OS4 and 5 too. They don't have the auto cleaning selection in the OS like OS6. So, for OS6, there is no advantage to cleaning the memory with both MB and the OS app.

Day of PI? Oh yeah, that's that teacher-thing, isn't it?
    03-14-11 02:01 PM
    I am NOT telling you not to enable the memory cleaning. I have my OS set to reclaim memory every 30 minutes when idle. I don't set it in MB if I'm using the native app. As I understand it, MB just runs the native memory cleaner at whatever interval you set. Recall that MB runs on OS4 and 5 too. They don't have the auto cleaning selection in the OS like OS6. So, for OS6, there is no advantage to cleaning the memory with both MB and the OS app.

Day of PI? Oh yeah, that's that teacher-thing, isn't it?
    I do the same thing, I have the OS clean memory every 30 minutes. I don't use MB.
    03-14-11 02:10 PM
    Here's another link to updated BB Boss with the Japanese langauge fixed. The nag screen doesn't pop up every 30 seconds anymore, which is a nice improvement. lol.

http://www.opensourcebb.com/BBBoss2.2.2/BBBoss2.2.2.zip
    03-14-11 03:53 PM
    I do the same thing, I have the OS clean memory every 30 minutes. I don't use MB.
    How do you have the OS clean the memory?
    03-14-11 04:15 PM
    How do you have the OS clean the memory?
    OPTIONS, then type MEM into the search bar. Hit MEMORY CLEANING, then check ENABLE and CLEAN WHEN IDLE, and finally set your timeout.
    03-14-11 04:23 PM
    Hamster, how the heck did you dump 34MB? Did you NOT shrink before you loaded your current OS? Wonder what else I can delete...

Ahhhh on second thought, I've had enough excitement for this month. The bad juju is just leaving me alone...
    03-14-11 04:45 PM
23,186 ... 498499500501502 ...