I was thinking of making it my avatar!
    Update: 3 hours and only 5.6MB loss. And during that time I plugged into DM to delete my contacts and restore them again, and bbm.

So i'd say its looking a lot better right now. I need my apps and themes so we'll see what that loss looks like tomorrow.

I will keep track overnight and post in the am, too.
    Sounds good jaydee. Giving the OS a couple of days should help it to settle in. I think you have finally found a winner!
    03-11-11 10:37 PM
    Update: 3 hours and only 5.6MB loss. And during that time I plugged into DM to delete my contacts and restore them again, and bbm.

So i'd say its looking a lot better right now. I need my apps and themes so we'll see what that loss looks like tomorrow.

Hopefully, It will play nice with your apps & themes tomorrow.
    03-11-11 10:44 PM
    I know Jaydee and Hamster had issues with BB Boss 2.2 bricking their devices. I saw this on the BB6 forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/bb...oblems-593998/
    03-12-11 12:44 AM
    I know Jaydee and Hamster had issues with BB Boss 2.2 bricking their devices. I saw this on the BB6 forum.

Great info prince. I was going to post that link this morning.

Here is some information Shane posted that might be worth while for those like to shrink.

Ok, quick and dirty, this is a post about shrinkage.
    No, shrinking an OS. Perv.

First, shrinking is making it so that your blackberry cannot install certain files. There is a mistaken belief that reducing the size of the Java folder is equivalent to shrinking. However, you're BlackBerry is set up to only install the files RIM deems necessary and optional files which you choose to install.

There is no need to shrink out languages, App World, Facebook, Games, Twitter, BlackBerry Maps, etc. You can choose not to install these files when you actually load the OS with loader.exe or with the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

There are some files that RIM wants you to install that you do not need. For example, OTA downloading, the logfile viewer, occasionally Voice Activated Dialing, and some others can be removed without removing any core functionality. These files need to actually be shrunk out with a shrinker, or manually by hand.

I have often heard people say they shrank 100mb or a similar number. This is a misunderstanding of what shrinking does. There are many files in the Java folder that will not be installed on your device automatically (for example, language files). In reality, you are unlikely to gain more than a handful of megabytes from shrinking anything, with an exception of media and font files.

However, if you have a BlackBerry with more than 128mb of memory (or maybe 256 for some OS6 builds) the memory gained from shrinking most files is, in my opinion, generally not worth the trouble of shrinking.

An exception to that is removing media files and fonts. Those files are quite large, and I often shrink them. Removing other files is not nearly as necessary as it was in the pre-256mb device days.

Wiping is also a somewhat unnecessary activity, but that's a post for another time.
    03-12-11 06:44 AM
    Good Morning everyone! Would like to say my new phone passed the test during the night, but alas, I know now for certain, the leakiness is from the OS6 itself.

I started with 314 at 8:30 pm.
    At 8:00am...I am down to 290.
    That's 24MB (or close to it) for 12 hours. Now that's a VERY SLOW leak in my book, but remember, I have not added ANY apps, not ONE yet or any of my 20 themes.

So, I am thoroughly disgusted but unwilling to do anymore testing. I did shrink becase I know how much memory I lose in a day...

All I can say is a loss of 14 overnight when it was charging on the nightstand????? It must be how I use my phone.

Well, it has a perfect screen, perfect trackpad and perfect keyboard. And now it's mine. Load it up and use it. That's my job today.
    03-12-11 06:57 AM

So glad everything went well - well sorta. I'll be interested to know what happens when you get everything back on!

Thanks, Prince! Now we know what caused this..I had checked all languages to shrink out Oh well.

Here is some information Shane posted that might be worth while for those like to shrink.
    Midd, thanks...so does this mean that the stuff I wanted out would not really gain me anything back..hmm. Ok, so than what is it that you guys shrink out to gain memory?

Good Morning everyone! Would like to say my new phone passed the test during the night, but alas, I know now for certain, the leakiness is from the OS6 itself.

That's 24MB (or close to it) for 12 hours. Now that's a VERY SLOW leak in my book, but remember, I have not added ANY apps, not ONE yet or any of my 20 themes.

So, I am thoroughly disgusted but unwilling to do anymore testing. I did shrink becase I know how much memory I lose in a day...

All I can say is a loss of 14 overnight when it was charging on the nightstand????? It must be how I use my phone.

Well, it has a perfect screen, perfect trackpad and perfect keyboard. And now it's mine. Load it up and use it. That's my job today.
    Morning Jaydee!

My bold leaks overnight for some reason as well...not 14, but around 8-10 or so

Yay - third time lucky with the phone!! At least have fun loading and setting everything up today!
    Love the pics of your Bold collection
    03-12-11 07:08 AM
    Hamster, I am putting on all my themes but can't find Around for some reason. Can you find me the link? I am stumped. I looked for it but can't find it. I will have to contact Mich and have him send it if we can't. Weird.
    03-12-11 08:02 AM

hmmm..24mb and nothing on the phone. I hope all holds up well when you throw on all your apps and themes.
    I'm glad to hear everything went well with this one, restoring etc. Keep us posted on how things go with your mem as you add stuff back on.

I was going to attempt Boss yesterday, and I'm soooo glad I didn't. I would've lost my mind if I bricked my device. lol. But none the less, this is VERY useful info you posted. Ty

Midd, thank you for posting this from Shane as well, VERY useful! I think I'll pass on shrinking anything out on my bb for now. If I decide to wipe and reload just to freshen up my bb, or if a new leak becomes avail, then I will consider using Boss.

So all in all, now we know why when Hamster & Jaydee used Boss, why their bb bricked.

BTW, has anyone heard from PC? Is he OK?
    03-12-11 08:06 AM
    Hamster, I am putting on all my themes but can't find Around for some reason. Can you find me the link? I am stumped. I looked for it but can't find it. I will have to contact Mich and have him send it if we can't. Weird.
    Jaydee, I located it for ya. I was heading in that direction when I saw your post for it.
    I used the "[FREE]" as a keyword to search it (al usually uses that in the beginning)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f212/fr...rsions-538524/
    03-12-11 08:10 AM

Midd, thanks...so does this mean that the stuff I wanted out would not really gain me anything back..hmm. Ok, so than what is it that you guys shrink out to gain memory?
    I get rid of the video at start up and all the default background, ringtones and stuff like that. You can also get rid of the fonts to save space as well. These are the thing that apploader doesn't give an option to leave out. It is probably more important if you're losing a lot of memory everyday.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    03-12-11 08:14 AM
    Emailed to you! Oops just saw Pink posted the link!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-11 08:15 AM
    I get rid of the video at start up and all the default background, ringtones and stuff like that. You can also get rid of the fonts to save space as well. These are the thing that apploader doesn't give an option to leave out. It is probably more important if you're losing a lot of memory everyday.
    the start up vid doesn't bother me, but as for the rt's and fonts, i use all those.
    Emailed to you! Oops just saw Pink posted the link!

Np! Jaydee will just install the zip!
    03-12-11 08:19 AM

Glad you BB got through the night OK.

I still wonder why you would lose 14MB with it on the charger. I didn't use the 431 so I'm not sure if it is the OS or what. Without any apps loaded it can't be that or an interaction with a theme. It will be interesting to see how it is in a few days after it settles in. I loaded Shane's latest hybrid with the 499 files and had a lose of only .5MB over night. I have BerryWeather updating every 30 minutes, T4BB every 15 minutes and have two BBM groups that are posting so often my LED is about to burnout. So, it makes no sense for you to have a 14MB lose without anything. Just plain weird?!?!?
    03-12-11 08:27 AM

I missed reading this the first time around, but not using it while charging usually GAINS memory, at least thats what mine does, not that it gains 10mb, I'm talking like 5mb-ish.

My bold leaks overnight for some reason as well...not 14, but around 8-10 or so
    yours too? ok, that i really don't understand. I usually turn mine off at night, but on the nights that I don't and its charging, like i posted above, i usually gain a little bit of mem.
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 03-12-11 at 08:41 AM.
    03-12-11 08:37 AM
    Girlz, thanks for the links. When I follow them, tho, there is some other webpage there. So I have written to Al3azim to ask for the zips. Weird.

I have all my themes installed again and all my free apps. The big three or four, I have to wait for mobihand to send me notice that they have changed my pin. I haven't looked at my memory and probably won't fixate on it as much until I get all installed and set up.

Feels better to have a theme on and I forgot just how ugly OS6 is without one. Last night I felt like I was in a hospital ward...you know when you're ok, but not quite the same as normal? Glad that's over.

BB BOSS OMFG!
    Japanese? Caused all that trouble? I'm biting my tongue right now before I say something I will regret.
    I did shrink out all languages so that is what caused the white screen with no default template, even tho i left the template alone. And with BOSS, you can't add the cod back. I mean, where does it go when you delete it? I couldn't find the media background files I had deleted, thinking it was that...

I went back to BB Hybrids Tool.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 03-12-11 at 09:19 AM.
    03-12-11 09:16 AM
    Jaydee, if there are trials for your mobi apps make use of them. You can get trials for the bellshare apps from their site I believe.

jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-12-11 09:30 AM

Feels better to have a theme on and I forgot just how ugly OS6 is without one. Last night I felt like I was in a hospital ward...you know when you're ok, but not quite the same as normal? Glad that's over.
    Are we talking about a hospital for Physical ailment or mental ailment?

BB BOSS OMFG!
    Japanese? Caused all that trouble? I'm biting my tongue right now before I say something I will regret.
    I did shrink out all languages so that is what caused the white screen with no default template, even tho i left the template alone. And with BOSS, you can't add the cod back. I mean, where does it go when you delete it? I couldn't find the media background files I had deleted, thinking it was that...

There is a folder inside the java folder called RemovedFiles. All the files you have removed are in there. This is the same with BB Boss or BB Hybrids Tool. Both programs will let you put back the CODs you want to add back. BB Boss will let you do it on the phone or on the computer.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-12-11 09:54 AM
    Well I don't know what is considered a lot of memory, but I have been losing about 20 or so a day...So yeah, I wanted to get rid of some stuff to help that out.

I missed reading this the first time around, but not using it while charging usually GAINS memory, at least thats what mine does, not that it gains 10mb, I'm talking like 5mb-ish.

yours too? ok, that i really don't understand. I usually turn mine off at night, but on the nights that I don't and its charging, like i posted above, i usually gain a little bit of mem.
    I don't turn mine off, but it is being charged over night, every night. IDK..I don't have anything running - I close everything I can...so WTH?

Girlz, thanks for the links. When I follow them, tho, there is some other webpage there. So I have written to Al3azim to ask for the zips. Weird.

I have all my themes installed again and all my free apps. The big three or four, I have to wait for mobihand to send me notice that they have changed my pin. I haven't looked at my memory and probably won't fixate on it as much until I get all installed and set up.

BB BOSS OMFG!

I tried the link and yeah - something weird going on..
    Who new that a language would cause so much problems....At least we have it figured out and if I were to try again - Leave Japan alone!

Now, does BB Hybrids allow you to shrink and existing OS on your phone?

Happy Sat everyone! Off to a St Pat's day parade and of course....BEER!!!
    03-12-11 10:31 AM
    ok. Idk what's going on, lol, but I checked the link I posted for Around from my laptop and bb, and it took me to the thread no problem.
    Jaydee, glad you've got your stuff back. I can understand the frustration of not having 'everything' on the bb! With that fugly os6 theme, I can relate to the hopsital thing! LOL

03-12-11 10:36 AM
    Hamster, I use BBHybrids Tool 2.4 to shrink. I remove all languages, all fonts, all games, all social apps except FB and BBM, backgrounds, music, startup video,VAD, app world, app center, IT policy, DOD and some other crap that I can't remember. I have between 290 and 295mb free.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    03-12-11 11:06 AM
    BB BOSS OMFG!
    I have yet to have any trouble with the "BOSS", but I do not use the latest 2.2 version either as I think that is the one that has been problematic for some folks. I have the previous version and do not have any issues with it. I always have shrunk out all the languages also as well as everything else. I keep a pretty slimmed down Bold. I do believe I will continue to use the boss for adding/removing stuff after the fact. I let app loader run after and it's never been an issue, so it takes a coupla extra min is all. I do like to stick with tried and true methods.
    Sounds like you got a decent bold this time around. Certainly better than what you had to put up with. I'm surprised your still leaking a bit over nite tho. I usually lose about a half MB or so is all. Glad to hear your getting back on track.
    03-12-11 12:41 PM
    I have almost all my apps back. Still have not heard from Mobihand but an running the apps in trial mode for a day or so.

I have one Bold packaged up to go back and am security wiping the other. Then it too will be shipped out today.

I have pulled the battery several times on my new Bold and all seems to be going ok. A little slow today but I have been doing nothing but adding apps and themes, so it's to be expected.

One thing I noticed with BB Boss, you can backup your apps but can't install them???
    03-12-11 12:54 PM
    I have yet to have any trouble with the "BOSS", but I do not use the latest 2.2 version either as I think that is the one that has been problematic for some folks. I have the previous version and do not have any issues with it. I always have shrunk out all the languages also as well as everything else. I keep a pretty slimmed down Bold. I do believe I will continue to use the boss for adding/removing stuff after the fact. I let app loader run after and it's never been an issue, so it takes a coupla extra min is all. I do like to stick with tried and true methods.
    Sounds like you got a decent bold this time around. Certainly better than what you had to put up with. I'm surprised your still leaking a bit over nite tho. I usually lose about a half MB or so is all. Glad to hear your getting back on track.
    The BB Boss Japanese language problem has been fix. some of the other errors have been fixed as well. The update should be released tonight.
    pr1nce likes this.
    03-12-11 01:14 PM
    I have almost all my apps back. Still have not heard from Mobihand but an running the apps in trial mode for a day or so.

I have one Bold packaged up to go back and am security wiping the other. Then it too will be shipped out today.

I have pulled the battery several times on my new Bold and all seems to be going ok. A little slow today but I have been doing nothing but adding apps and themes, so it's to be expected.

One thing I noticed with BB Boss, you can backup your apps but can't install them???
    Under the phone File System, it is called Load Files to Phone. You click on that and navagate to the folder where the CODs are stored.
    03-12-11 01:24 PM
    The BB Boss Japanese language problem has been fix. some of the other errors have been fixed as well. The update should be released tonight.
    It's ok, I'm fine with my old version, but thanks. Did you try that new hybrid yet? Thought I saw you over there. I think I'm going to download a fresh 466 and the hybrid files for an install later on.
    03-12-11 01:32 PM
23,186 ... 494495496497498 ...