Jaydee, I'm with you on the nervous thing there...and would not want to mess up my themes nor BBM..
    I'm sure all will go fine!

I'm going to do the Boss thing now...wish me luck!
    You will be fine hamster. Post you experience when you are done.
    03-09-11 11:01 AM
    Jaydee, I'm with you on the nervous thing there...and would not want to mess up my themes nor BBM..
    I'm sure all will go fine!

I'm going to do the Boss thing now...wish me luck!
    good luck Hamster! I still have to install mine. I've been running around like a damn chicken w/o a head between yest & today! CAn you say octopus? LOL cus thats what i feel like juggling everything! LMK how the Boss thing goes, could ya? Ty

Jaydee, just as Paul has told you, and you've told me, BREATHE. You know all this like the back of your hand, you will do just fine
    03-09-11 11:02 AM
    You will be fine hamster. Post you experience when you are done.

Oh no!!! It messed every thing up!
    The phone rebooted and now I'm getting a whole bunch of errors java language something or the other and then it is listing a bunch of files and saying there was an error on on them and not found...
    Just a white screen with all of them listed

HELP!!!

Oh and it is listed as blackberry platform 4.4.0.315???? WTF?
    I should have left well enough alone.
    03-09-11 11:06 AM

Oh no!!! It messed every thing up!
    The phone rebooted and now I'm getting a whole bunch of errors java language something or the other and then it is listing a bunch of files and saying there was an error on on them and not found...
    Just a white screen with all of them listed

HELP!!!

Oh and it is listed as blackberry platform 4.4.0.315???? WTF?
    I should have left well enough alone.
    All you need to do is reinstall the OS and it will go back to the unshrunk settings.

What all did you check?
    03-09-11 11:18 AM
    All you need to do is reinstall the OS and it will go back to the unshrunk settings.

What all did you check?
    It's really weird. I'm getting notification alerts but the phone is stuck on this white screen with a bunch of apps and other things listed.

I checked languages, docs to go etc...couple of games, VZW navigator, PTT, startup video...

nothing major...

So what do I use to reinstall the os? DM, apploader...what?
    03-09-11 11:22 AM
    I would use apploader. It might not have you reinstall everything and would help it go faster.
    03-09-11 11:24 AM
    I would use apploader. It might not have you reinstall everything and would help it go faster.
    And, then I will have to do a restore of all my apps, themes, data from DM?

Ok - am about to reinstall via apploader - what is DOD root certificate? Do I need this because it is not checked

and also blackberry s/mime support package - what is that?
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 03-09-11 at 11:33 AM.
    03-09-11 11:26 AM
    And, then I will have to do a restore of all my apps, themes, data from DM?
    Hopefully the errors you are getting means it didn't wipe everything off your device so you shouldn't have to. If they aren't there once you get the parts of the OS back on that is causing the problem you will need to restore then using the program you backed them up with.
    03-09-11 11:32 AM

I checked languages, docs to go etc...couple of games, VZW navigator, PTT, startup video...

nothing major...
    That's crazy. Those should have caused a problem.
    03-09-11 11:35 AM
    That's crazy. Those should have caused a problem.
    yes I know.

what is DOD root certificate? Do I need this because it is not checked

and also blackberry s/mime support package - what is that?
    03-09-11 11:37 AM
    The DOD is a government encryption app. If you don't work for the government you don't need it.

I don't remember what the s/mime support package is,but I get rid of it when I shrink an OS.
    03-09-11 11:40 AM
    The DOD is a government encryption app. If you don't work for the government you don't need it.

I don't remember what the s/mime support package is,but I get rid of it when I shrink an OS.
    Ok - thanks for being here, Midd! It's loading now....please please...let it go ok...
    03-09-11 11:43 AM

The s/mime package is for use with secure messaging and browsing. If you use an identity verification personal certificate for email, or you do online banking, you will want that installed. Many secure sites require it.
    middbrew and hamsterwheel like this.
    03-09-11 11:45 AM
    No problem hampster. It will be fine. The one thing about these devices is no matter what you do to the OS you can always get it back up and running.
    03-09-11 11:45 AM
    The s/mime package is for use with secure messaging and browsing. If you use an identity verification personal certificate for email, or you do online banking, you will want that installed. Many secure sites require it.
    ooops - ok...too late. Can I install that after, cuz now it's already loading now...

No problem hampster. It will be fine. The one thing about these devices is no matter what you do to the OS you can always get it back up and running.
    This is why we love BB, right? right??? Haha...
    As long as I have you lot, I'm ok with the mess ups. I think
    03-09-11 11:49 AM
    Good to know. I might have to start leaving it on from now on. Although I haven't had any issues so far.
    03-09-11 11:50 AM
    ooops - ok...too late. Can I install that after, cuz now it's already loading now...

This is why we love BB, right? right??? Haha...
    As long as I have you lot, I'm ok with the mess ups. I think
    Yes you can install it post install. When ready to do so let us know and we will help you do that.
    03-09-11 11:52 AM
    Yes you can install it post install. When ready to do so let us know and we will help you do that.
    Ok cool. You guys are the best! And thanks Underway for chiming in...

What would I do without the ramblers??? probably be having guns and tonics all day
    03-09-11 11:55 AM
    Hamster...OMG!!!
    Now I am so worried about my device! You have scared the ****e outta me! I'm almost afraid to go home and try to upgrade my phone!!!

I used BB Boss last night and nothing went wrong...

I'm not shrinking anything tonight. There is a bad voodoo out...

Thank goodness Middbrew and Underway are available to help!

Hamster...breathe!!!!!!
    03-09-11 12:09 PM
    Hamster...OMG!!!
    Now I am so worried about my device! You have scared the ****e outta me! I'm almost afraid to go home and try to upgrade my phone!!!

Thank goodness Middbrew and Underway are available to help!

Hamster...breathe!!!!!!
    Holy ****e is right Jaydee! I went food shopping for an hour, left my bb home cuz i wanted to charge it, and when I arrived back just now i saw Hamsters post after using the Boss shrinker! Now, that has the ****e scared outta me, I'm not going to attempt anything on mine. Its fine with the stupid extras that are on there.

hamster, i'm sorry you had so many issues! there must've been something funky going on maybe and thats why it happened...idk. but I'm glad Midd and Underway were here to help you out. TG for that!

and like jaydee said, Breathe.....it will all be ok after your done loading up the os, omg, i can imagine how you felt.
    03-09-11 12:21 PM
    I went to lunch with my wife, so I was hoping to hear how it went with hamsters issue. Hampster, did everything go alright with restoring the OS?

I have used the shrink on phone and didn't have a problem, so it is a bit odd that it caused a problem. I wouldn't be afraid of using BB Boss to shrink stuff off of the phone. Remember, you can always reload an OS. You just have to make sure you back up your stuff.
    03-09-11 12:55 PM
    I went to lunch with my wife, so I was hoping to hear how it went with hamsters issue. Hampster, did everything go alright with restoring the OS?

I have used the shrink on phone and didn't have a problem, so it is a bit odd that it caused a problem. I wouldn't be afraid of using BB Boss to shrink stuff off of the phone. Remember, you can always reload an OS. You just have to make sure you back up your stuff.
    I was wondering also how it went. Has anyone heard from Hamster since she started reloading?

As for shrinking stuff on my phone, I'm leavin well enough alone today, Jaydee said it, theres a voodoo in the air. I'm supersticious(sp?) and believe in that stuff as crazy as it sounds. Nothings doing any harm on my bb, so I no touchie
    03-09-11 01:09 PM
    Hamster...OMG!!!

Thank goodness Middbrew and Underway are available to help! :

Hamster...breathe!!!!!!
    Let me tell you, I'm becoming a pro at loading OS's
    Yes - I was pretty stressed out, but thank god for Midd and Underway!

Holy ****e is right Jaydee! I went food shopping for an hour, left my bb home cuz i wanted to charge it, and when I arrived back just now i saw Hamsters post after using the Boss shrinker! Now, that has the ****e scared outta me, I'm not going to attempt anything on mine. Its fine with the stupid extras that are on there.

hamster, i'm sorry you had so many issues! there must've been something funky going on maybe and thats why it happened...idk. but I'm glad Midd and Underway were here to help you out. TG for that!

and like jaydee said, Breathe.....it will all be ok after your done loading up the os, omg, i can imagine how you felt.
    Thanks P1nk...I can create quite the excitement can't I?
    Not to worry - I had help...
    Those stupid extras is what got me in trouble...they will remain on my phone from now on.

Right - Here's the update. Had to go get my son (which I was late for and had to have a friend pick him up as my device was still rebooting and I didn't want to leave it in case...)
    But I digress...

Here's the deal:
    Rebooted back with the fugly default theme (this has never happened in any other install - always rebooted with the one I had selected)
    Lost my contacts in address book
    Lost my calendar entries
    Lost my sms messages
    Lost my email messages
    Lost my BBM contacts (but was able to restore through device)

So I will now go back to DM and restore what I can.

FWIW, I don't think it was BB Boss...seems like I hadn't registered...I dontated and started the process, and it was doing it's thing, but I think it was because of my not registering - haven't received a code yet.
    So could that be it?

So there you have it!
    I can't believe what a mess I made of things...
    03-09-11 01:12 PM

Right - Here's the update. Had to go get my son (which I was late for and had to have a friend pick him up as my device was still rebooting and I didn't want to leave it in case...)
    But I digress...

Here's the deal:
    Rebooted back with the fugly default theme (this has never happened in any other install - always rebooted with the one I had selected)
    Lost my contacts in address book
    Lost my calendar entries
    Lost my sms messages
    Lost my email messages
    Lost my BBM contacts (but was able to restore through device)

So I will now go back to DM and restore what I can.

FWIW, I don't think it was BB Boss...seems like I hadn't registered...I dontated and started the process, and it was doing it's thing, but I think it was because of my not registering - haven't received a code yet.
    So could that be it?

So there you have it!
    I can't believe what a mess I made of things...
    It isn't because you hadn't registered it. It is a free program, the developer just has the request for donations set to pop up a lot. I have used it a couple of times to shrink out stuff from an OS that is loaded on the phone without a problem.

When you calm down (maybe in a day or two) you might try again and remove some of those thing one at a time.

I took out all the media files and the DoD and everything when as planned. So I'm baffled by your issue.
    03-09-11 01:22 PM
    Let me tell you, I'm becoming a pro at loading OS's
    You are definitely becoming a pro at loading an OS. A pro will have loaded several OSs, bricked a phone at least once, and given some advice about it.
    03-09-11 01:25 PM
23,186 ... 486487488489490 ...