Well to be honest since my first bb I was always in the habit of checking the mem log, it's what i learned here on CB over 2yrs ago, but things changed since then and the devices are a little more advanced now as compared to a device from 2yrs ago. When I first got my Bold in Dec it didn't occur to me to check it but today it was acting kinda sluggish and it gave me an issue while I was trying to set a BW custom set and I said to myself let me just check it out. That's when I found all those errors like the one I posted---idk how many of them there are but if I had to guess, over 25. I don't know if I should be concerned about it, but since my post I did just let it roll off my shoulder and forgot about it and decided to leave well enough alone. Im due for a batt pull now anyway, I'm up 14hrs and down 42MB. :roll eyes: YaY Me! LOL

So all my poking around with it and I forgot about it anyway!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    More that likely that your device was acting sluggish becuase of memory issues. When a device runs low on available memory it will run sluggish. Lots of folks were swearing that the 9650 had to have a faster processor than the 9630, we later learned that it actually had the same processor. What was different was the fact that the 9650 has twice the memory, hence it is able to run faster because it has more memory in which to do it's work without constantly having to page data in and out of its memory. The same thing happens to PCs, when your are lacking memory they run slow, when there is lots of memory they run much more efficiently.

Thus, watch your memory loss numbers and when they start getting a bit high pull the plug and reboot your device. I'd say that when you are approaching 40MB of lost memory it is probably time to reboot.

I'll admit to not knowing a lot about the internals of these devices; however, having lots of years of tinkering with and programing computers from massive mainframes to PCs, I have a fair idea of what is going in the bowels of a device.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    03-04-11 08:55 PM

Gradient6 by Al3azim in beta...
    You're gonna love this!!
    03-04-11 10:26 PM
    I'll admit to not knowing a lot about the internals of these devices; however, having lots of years of tinkering with and programing computers from massive mainframes to PCs, I have a fair idea of what is going in the bowels of a device.
    Bob, I'm glad you're back and the exam was negative. But you came back talking about the bowels of the device! LMAO

It just made me lose it for a minute!!!
    03-04-11 10:55 PM
    Morning everyone!
    To add to what Bob has said about memory...
    I have found that losses of 45, 50, even to 70MB in a day (yes, we all know I have gone that far!) do not generally bother my device. However, I find that when I get to UNDER 200MB for total available memory...everything seems to lag a bit. That's when I was seeing the hourglass constantly and had to reboot. Now rebooting is not a problem because it is only 2.5 minutes out of service, right? But with mine...the media card is practically UNAVAILABLE for at least an HOUR after a batt pull.

This is an annoyance for me as I send a lot of pics on BBM, change my wallpaper, and like to look through my many pics to change wallpaper with the themes I am trying. I do a lot more of that lately for screen shots since I have started writing, etc....

So yes, as soon as you see the hourglass and it starts re-occurring enough to make you swear...REBOOT.

Now if you need lessons on how to SWEAR...I'm ur gal!

Have a good Saturday Essex Ramblers!!!!!
    03-05-11 08:12 AM
    Well, I've been up for 8d 19h 9m and have had the huge loss of 1.8MB. As I have said before, I am convinced that it is not the software/skins/icons that are really causing this problem for all of you. I'm totally convinced that the problem emminates from a firmware problem which is not allowing proper memory management to occur. Certainly the apps may have poor housekeeping routines and I actually believe that some do, but the OS through it's own code or the firmware (I think most the firmware) is as much the culperit. My $.02 FWIW.
    I agree it is probably a firmware issue. This makes since considering two different devises running the same OS and apps can lose different amounts of memory and have different amounts of battery drain. I typically have a memory drop of 15mb over a 5 day period and my wife running the same apps and OS will only drop about 5mb. The only difference is we might have a different theme, but most of the time it is one I made just with different variations.
    03-05-11 08:28 AM
    More that likely that your device was acting sluggish becuase of memory issues. When a device runs low on available memory it will run sluggish. Lots of folks were swearing that the 9650 had to have a faster processor than the 9630, we later learned that it actually had the same processor. What was different was the fact that the 9650 has twice the memory, hence it is able to run faster because it has more memory in which to do it's work without constantly having to page data in and out of its memory. The same thing happens to PCs, when your are lacking memory they run slow, when there is lots of memory they run much more efficiently.

Thus, watch your memory loss numbers and when they start getting a bit high pull the plug and reboot your device. I'd say that when you are approaching 40MB of lost memory it is probably time to reboot.

thanks for your input Bob. Usually when my device gets to be a loss of 20-25ish MB's I reboot, but its not that sluggish at that time. The other day when I was poking around at my event log, that's when I realized my mb's had dropped to 40 something at that point AND I was having issues setting BW home screen & custom icons, which is the main reason I viewed my event log. So, since I've done a battery pull earlier this morn I rechecked my event log & so far I haven't seen that same error I saw so many times yesterday-i was relieved! (i know, i know-you told me not to fudge with it, but it was bugging me so i just had to see for myself that the error was gone)
    Jaydee, I'm loving the look of Gradient 6! can't wait till Al releases that one
    Hamster, I know why my bb didn't reboot at scheduled time yest, long story short-i had my test run for 6:05am lol and didn't have a chance to reset the device so the changes can take effect! It came up today for it, so on Monday it should reboot as needed! Let's hope! LOL

Have a good day all!

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 03-05-11 at 06:23 PM.
    03-05-11 12:07 PM
    Morning everyone!
    I have found that losses of 45, 50, even to 70MB in a day (yes, we all know I have gone that far!) do not generally bother my device. However, I find that when I get to UNDER 200MB for total available memory...everything seems to lag a bit. That's when I was seeing the hourglass constantly and had to reboot. Now rebooting is not a problem because it is only 2.5 minutes out of service, right? But with mine...the media card is practically UNAVAILABLE for at least an HOUR after a batt pull.

This is an annoyance for me as I send a lot of pics on BBM, change my wallpaper, and like to look through my many pics to change wallpaper with the themes I am trying. I do a lot more of that lately for screen shots since I have started writing, etc....

So yes, as soon as you see the hourglass and it starts re-occurring enough to make you swear...REBOOT.

I agree with you jaydee, when my device starts creeping around 200mb avail, that's also when I start to see a laaaaaaaag! Amazingly enough I've had patience with it and I don't think I'll meed swearing lessons right now, ty for that though LMAO!

03-05-11 01:51 PM
    Thanks for the good wishes, all the good wishes from the ramblers must have worked, all is clear and I got a 5 yr repreive.
    That's great news Bob! Happy to hear it!

03-05-11 04:40 PM
    Bob, I'm glad you're back and the exam was negative. But you came back talking about the bowels of the device! LMAO

It just made me lose it for a minute!!!
    Glad I could add some levity to your day!!!!

I hope this is not the fodder for your next program...
    03-05-11 05:48 PM

Gradient6 by Al3azim in beta...
    You're gonna love this!!
    I'm liking this one, but then it's by Al3azim!
    03-05-11 05:51 PM
    Morning everyone!

JayDee, it is very difficult to talk in terms of when a reboot is needed, as I know you are very well aware, I chose 40-50MB loss based on recollections that somwhere in that neiborhood you started seeing degridation on your device; however, relying on my memory is not a very good idea... Anyway, your statement that >200MB free on the device is when you start seeing enough degridation to begin the swearing routine and do your bat pull is probably a pretty good threashold. One should recognize that there is no hard and fast rule here, it all depends on the apps that are running on the device, how much memroy they need to function properly, etc. etc. etc. It is a guessing game; however, JayDee's rule of thumb that when the hourglass begins to impact your patience level do a battery pull, that makes good sense.
    03-05-11 05:58 PM
    I agree it is probably a firmware issue. This makes since considering two different devises running the same OS and apps can lose different amounts of memory and have different amounts of battery drain. I typically have a memory drop of 15mb over a 5 day period and my wife running the same apps and OS will only drop about 5mb. The only difference is we might have a different theme, but most of the time it is one I made just with different variations.
    Exactly, if the devices were in fact excatly identical down to the smallest module and its firmware code/purpose in life, then every device would lose the exact same amount of memory over the same time period when running the same list of apps. It is pretty obvious that this is not the case. There are many of us running the same or similar lists of apps but losing/not losing memory at deferring amounts of uptime. I have racked my brain trying to come up with explanations for this to no avail ever since JayDee first upgraded to BB6 and installed the seive on her device.

It is really interesting that she lost no memory when running OS5, that tells me that there is firmware in the 9650 that was not used by OS5; thus, it had no chance to not play nice. I would love to hear other hypothises on this, but this is the best one I can come up with.
    03-05-11 06:07 PM
    Exactly, if the devices were in fact excatly identical down to the smallest module and its firmware code/purpose in life, then every device would lose the exact same amount of memory over the same time period when running the same list of apps. It is pretty obvious that this is not the case. There are many of us running the same or similar lists of apps but losing/not losing memory at deferring amounts of uptime. I have racked my brain trying to come up with explanations for this to no avail ever since JayDee first upgraded to BB6 and installed the seive on her device.

It is really interesting that she lost no memory when running OS5, that tells me that there is firmware in the 9650 that was not used by OS5; thus, it had no chance to not play nice. I would love to hear other hypothises on this, but this is the best one I can come up with.
    THIS is a very accurate reading! When I was on OS5 I didn't have a mem leak either!

So your hypothises for this being a firmware issue on OS6 and not being able to 'distribute' the memory according seems right on target Bob! Damn, RIM needs to higher you!lol I know, I know, your a retired man now!
    03-05-11 06:15 PM
    hey all. I have been messing around in theme builder latley and have made a few themes. One is just a stock os5 looking theme but with 7 mini icons. The latest one i created is a simple clean weather oriented theme. All the elements on the homescreen (clock, date, battery, and signal meters) are all hidden icons and can be clicked!
    03-05-11 06:42 PM
    hey essex threaders, I just downloaded the new blackberry protect, and damn is that a useful awesome app. It has so many awesome security features, and i tested out all the features and it works perfectly. If you dont have it i suggest it, it will be a lifesaver if you ever need it!
    03-05-11 07:09 PM
    hey essex threaders, I just downloaded the new blackberry protect, and damn is that a useful awesome app. It has so many awesome security features, and i tested out all the features and it works perfectly. If you dont have it i suggest it, it will be a lifesaver if you ever need it!
    RR I like your theme! Very nice! Congratulations. Are you going to make it available to the masses?

Is the Blackberry Protect like Mobile Recovery? I have that from VZW and I like that as well. You can call your phone if its lost, wipe it, etc.
    It tracks with GPS. I took it off my phone last time I upgraded and haven't put it back on. Maybe I'll download this app and see if I like it better.
    03-05-11 07:21 PM
    Where did you get it? I don't know anything about it but would like to at least look into it and see if it is something I want.
    03-05-11 07:28 PM
    RR I like your theme! Very nice! Congratulations. Are you going to make it available to the masses?

Is the Blackberry Protect like Mobile Recovery? I have that from VZW and I like that as well. You can call your phone if its lost, wipe it, etc.
    It tracks with GPS. I took it off my phone last time I upgraded and haven't put it back on. Maybe I'll download this app and see if I like it better.
    JD, I hadnt planned on making the theme available to the masses, but if people want it I would be more than happy to send them the theme. I never had a way to provide ota's for people, but stephanie over at phantombbthemes was kind enough to provide me with an ftp site so i can now host ota files.

as for the blackberry protect, yea it sounds like mobile recovery with a few more features. If lost you can remotely lock, wipe, set a password, send an audible alerts, send a message, and locate via gps. It also allows backup and restore and you can set it to backup daily, weekly, or monthly. I tried out all the features and they all worked perfectly (gps even found my exact location in seconds!). its not an app you will use everyday, but if you lose your phone, or someone steals it, it will be a lifesaver. Plus what the heck its free and gives me some piece of mind!

bob,
    here is the link to the website where you can download the app (can also download the app from appworld). this is the website where you access the online portion for the app as well. And for all those who ask, your id and password is the same for appworld.
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Protect
    ThePinkChameleon and bodeb like this.
    03-05-11 07:38 PM
    hi girls! I was dwlding some wps and TJ I know b'flies are your fav and who ever else would like this wp as well

Enjoy!

Oh and there's more great walls here: LUV MY BB BLOG

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 03-05-11 at 07:57 PM.
    03-05-11 07:55 PM
    hi girls! I was dwlding some wps and TJ I know b'flies are your fav and who ever else would like this wp as well

Enjoy!

Oh and there's more great walls here: LUV MY BB BLOG

Ooooohhh lah lah Pink! Yes I do love my butterflies and heading over to check out those wps now! Thanks!!

03-05-11 08:15 PM
    bob,
    here is the link to the website where you can download the app (can also download the app from appworld). this is the website where you access the online portion for the app as well. And for all those who ask, your id and password is the same for appworld.
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Protect
    Thanks RR, after posting that question I happened to be on the CB home page and saw their blurb about it and followed the link there to it. I got it; however, I'm not happy that I had to install Appworld on my device. It PO'd me a while back and I swore off of it. I'll leave it on for the moment but I doubt it will be there long.

Thanks again.
    03-05-11 08:54 PM
    okay im messing with making my themes available ota. will someone try downloading the theme and see if it works? its for 6.0.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12907169/sim...le_weather.jad
    hamsterwheel and bodeb like this.
    03-05-11 09:16 PM
    It works! I haven't checked it out yet as its activating as I type, but the link is good and the .jad file is recognized by BB6

rryoung likes this.
    03-05-11 09:19 PM
    that link you posted rr, can I dwld right from my bb?

03-05-11 09:25 PM
    awesome, thanks skyboxer and yes pink it should work right from your bb
    03-05-11 09:26 PM
23,186 ... 479480481482483 ...