Gonna be an AWESOME criminal minds tonight....parmesan popcorn is ready!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 07:59 PM
    Hey gang, I'm baaaaccccckkkkkk!

Been very busy for the last several weeks with any number of things going on. Life just happens... I'm usually off to dinner and a meeting on Wednesday nights with a group but am relegated to staying close to the porcelin God tonight as I have a colonoscopy tomorow morning. Got to be at the facility at Oh Dark Thirty in the morning. As I said, life happens.

Well seems as all kinds of stuff has been happening in my absence, P!nk seems headed to 5k posts in record time, Boxer has some kind of 2600 battery issue (mine is a jewel, never a problem and I don't worry about running out of juice any more), Jim is still changing OSs at the drop of a hat and JayDee's memory containment process is a sieve.

Seems nothing has changed.

A few comments on some of what I have read:
    • I have contended for some time now that the memory leak problem is firmware related. My suspicion, FWIW, is that there is some form of memory module in the device whose design or manufacturing QC is not up to snuff. Some of us get good ones that flawlessly and others don't and they lose memory like crazy. My device has been up for 6d 21h and I'm at -1.4. I'm running the 443/450/466 hybrid and have found no problems at all.
    • I have both MB and Bat Ex running on my device and have had for a week or so with no issues. At least for me neither of them is a problem.
    • I saw some discussion about actual free space on our devices. I'm certainly confused, MB says 267.2, Bat Ex says 331 of 369, the Help Me screen shows 280.2. So, the real question is who is correct? I suspect that they are each reporting different valuses bacause they are not reporting exactly the same thing and/or are not calculating in the same manner. I would certainly like to know, the technogeek in me (read that as OCD analretentive geek, etc) is bothered by such things.
    • I guess I need to visit the hybrids forum and see what's new. I can't let Jim get too far ahead of me.
    03-02-11 08:28 PM
    Excuse me, but who WAS the person who just posted under Bob's name? Do we KNOW him?

OHHHHHHH, it's Bob!!!!!!

And it's about time!
    Dr Prince was going to have a show dealing with grief and loss...

Welcome back Bob and good luck tomorrow with your exam. Saying a prayer for you!
    Thanks JayDee, I appreciate the kind words. I'll try to not be away for such a long time again, don't want to give Dr. Prince fodder for his shows...

PS - Getting old is not for wooses....
    03-02-11 08:47 PM

Been very busy for the last several weeks with any number of things going on. Life just happens... I'm usually off to dinner and a meeting on Wednesday nights with a group but am relegated to staying close to the porcelin God tonight as I have a colonoscopy tomorow morning. Got to be at the facility at Oh Dark Thirty in the morning. As I said, life happens.

Well seems as all kinds of stuff has been happening in my absence, P!nk seems headed to 5k posts in record time, Boxer has some kind of 2600 battery issue (mine is a jewel, never a problem and I don't worry about running out of juice any more), Jim is still changing OSs at the drop of a hat and JayDee's memory containment process is a sieve.

• I have contended for some time now that the memory leak problem is firmware related. My suspicion, FWIW, is that there is some form of memory module in the device whose design or manufacturing QC is not up to snuff. Some of us get good ones that flawlessly and others don't and they lose memory like crazy. My device has been up for 6d 21h and I'm at -1.4. I'm running the 443/450/466 hybrid and have found no problems at all.
    • I have both MB and Bat Ex running on my device and have had for a week or so with no issues. At least for me neither of them is a problem.
    • I saw some discussion about actual free space on our devices. I'm certainly confused, MB says 267.2, Bat Ex says 331 of 369, the Help Me screen shows 280.2. So, the real question is who is correct? I suspect that they are each reporting different valuses bacause they are not reporting exactly the same thing and/or are not calculating in the same manner. I would certainly like to know, the technogeek in me (read that as OCD analretentive geek, etc) is bothered by such things.
    • I guess I need to visit the hybrids forum and see what's new. I can't let Jim get too far ahead of me.
    Best wishes and prayers with your colonoscopy tomorrow Bob! I have had four along with a colon resection in 2003 for my crohns disease.

PS the colder the colyte the better....and drink it quick with a straw

03-02-11 09:13 PM
    Bob, Good luck with the colonoscopy tomorrow. I've been there and done that. The worse part is the prep.
    03-02-11 09:20 PM
    I'm taking my 85 year old dad to the clinic in the morning for the same procedure. He says he'll be good for the next ten years.

03-02-11 09:32 PM
    Question for the ramblers. I have been using quicklaunch for prolly 2 years now and I have never been able to get it to launch the sms inbox using a hotkey. I have set it to multiple different hotkeys and still nada. Its set as "l" right now and when I press the spacebar then "l" it brings up the messages inbox and not the sms inbox. Any key I set it too it always brings up the messages app instead of sms. Anybody use a quicklaunch hotkey to bring up sms inbox, and if so help me out! Its been driving me nuts for years!

03-02-11 10:05 PM
    Question for the ramblers. I have been using quicklaunch for prolly 2 years now and I have never been able to get it to launch the sms inbox using a hotkey. I have set it to multiple different hotkeys and still nada. Its set as "l" right now and when I press the spacebar then "l" it brings up the messages inbox and not the sms inbox. Any key I set it too it always brings up the messages app instead of sms. Anybody use a quicklaunch hotkey to bring up sms inbox, and if so help me out! Its been driving me nuts for years!

rr, I just checked mine and it brings up the messages inbox for just a split second then the sms inbox. I don't normally use this but that's what it does.
    rryoung likes this.
    03-02-11 10:12 PM
    Now it's going to the sms inbox. There's a bug or something because it flashes twice.
    03-02-11 10:17 PM
    Best wishes and prayers with your colonoscopy tomorrow Bob! I have had four along with a colon resection in 2003 for my crohns disease.

Using Dulcolax and Miralax, Miralax in Crystal Light Peach Tea. Yup, cold is better.

Bob, Good luck with the colonoscopy tomorrow. I've been there and done that. The worse part is the prep.
    Not my first dance, you are right, the prep is a PITA (Literaly )

And thanks all for the kind words.
    03-02-11 11:09 PM
    I mixed my drink with Crystal Light lemonade. I still can't drink lemonade and my exam was eight years ago!!
    03-02-11 11:13 PM

Been very busy for the last several weeks with any number of things going on. Life just happens... I'm usually off to dinner and a meeting on Wednesday nights with a group but am relegated to staying close to the porcelin God tonight as I have a colonoscopy tomorow morning. Got to be at the facility at Oh Dark Thirty in the morning. As I said, life happens
    Good luck with that Bob, and as Prince said the worst part is the prep, the rest is easy. And I like the suggestion to drink that prep juice cold, I'll def try that next time. That stuff is the ****zzzle.
    Welcome back and don't be a stranger, just don't stop being strange.
    03-03-11 12:08 AM
    [QUOTE=P1nkD1am0nds;6099010]Jim, who knows what the deal is! Usually I don't recover any mem while browsing till I clear my cache out, and even then, I don't regain that much back.

If it is something internally faulty that doesn't have the ability to gain the mem back, what doesn't make sense to me is why do some devices recover & function ok, while others like jaydees, hamsters & mine just drop? Ya know what I mean? It's mind boggling!

You can add me to that list, how does it work? Could it be Battery Ex.? What happens if you un install it? Will it get better?
    03-03-11 12:43 AM
    [QUOTE=essex2start;6101740]
    Jim, who knows what the deal is! Usually I don't recover any mem while browsing till I clear my cache out, and even then, I don't regain that much back.

If it is something internally faulty that doesn't have the ability to gain the mem back, what doesn't make sense to me is why do some devices recover & function ok, while others like jaydees, hamsters & mine just drop? Ya know what I mean? It's mind boggling!

You can add me to that list, how does it work? Could it be Battery Ex.? What happens if you un install it? Will it get better?
    It is strange how memory loss varies from device to device. I can go 4 -5 days and lose maybe 1.5-3 MB.
    03-03-11 01:18 AM
    [QUOTE=princebb;6101792]

It is strange how memory loss varies from device to device. I can go 4 -5 days and lose maybe 1.5-3 MB.
    I feel the same about battery life. I mean usage patterns vary widely but I've seen posts claiming much better battery life than I've ever had, even with similar usage. There are a ton of variables to consider with battery life also, but my gut feeling is that some radio chips are just more efficent than others. All meet specs, but some blow the specs out of the water. Similar to some of the Intel CPUs; you may get one that OverClocks like mad and the next fella can't OC at all.

03-03-11 01:44 AM
    rr, I just checked mine and it brings up the messages inbox for just a split second then the sms inbox. I don't normally use this but that's what it does.
    thanks for checking for me prince. mine dosent even flash it just brings up the messages inbox. must be a bug, guess ill just have to do it the long way lol.
    03-03-11 06:34 AM

Good luck today, Bob! Wishing you well! And welcome back, we missed you around here
    The whole different numbers on the actual free space bothers the heck out of me as well..I mean come on...if the technogeek in you finds out, please let this bunch of OCD, dysfunctional ramblers know!

I'm taking my 85 year old dad to the clinic in the morning for the same procedure. He says he'll be good for the next ten years.

Good luck to your dad too! 85 and going strong, awesome!

[QUOTE=essex2start;6101740]
    Jim, who knows what the deal is! Usually I don't recover any mem while browsing till I clear my cache out, and even then, I don't regain that much back.

essex, some of us did do a an experiment by un installing it, and FWIW, the memory did get better. But I wasn't willing to let it stop from enjoying using the skins etc..The bigger culprit I found was BW Icons...the default one fine, but changing them up caused great amounts of leaks. I've started using them again, and though am still experiencing the leaks, not as bad. I'm on 23hrs with -13...is that good, I don't know, but eh...I'm going to live with it!

As for battery life...Mine is alright for now...seems like 443 has settled down on my device for the time being, but who knows when , as like Jaydee said..it will get stooopid...

Oh, Good Morning all!
    03-03-11 06:42 AM
    Well, my memory is wild...from 7pm last night to 4 this am when QL reboots my phone...39MB loss. I went to bed at 10pm! So for the hours it just sat plugged in on the nightstand...
    1:30am-2:45am...total loss 23.1 MB....

How can that be? (I have BeBuzz turn off all indicators at 2 am..., too)

If anyone wants a mystery to unravel...here you go. What do I do? TURN OFF MY PHONE TO SAVE 23MB???? I never turn it off tho...NEVER!

EDIT: my memory ON MY PHONE is wild.... before Skyboxer or F2 pops in here and starts in on me....HAHA
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 03-03-11 at 07:12 AM.
    03-03-11 07:07 AM
    Well, my memory is wild...from 7pm last night to 4 this am when QL reboots my phone...39MB loss. I went to bed at 10pm! So for the hours it just sat plugged in on the nightstand...

If anyone wants a mystery to unravel...here you go. What do I do? TURN OFF MY PHONE TO SAVE 23MB???? I never turn it off tho...NEVER!
    I feel for you Jaydee, I really do...I complain about my leaks and they are nothing compared to yours...
    FWIW, mine leaks overnight too while charged in? Don't know why either.
    We need Sherlock Holmes at this point...Very strange.
    Well, turning off, might be an option. Try it just one time and see, if it helps?
    As much as it would bug you do it
    03-03-11 07:13 AM
    I feel for you jaydee i dont understand there has to be something running that you are not aware of, and i am sure you have looked, bur i just checked mine and in 2 days time since i last started the BB I only have lost 3mb. I have over 30 Apps installed and i use a lot of the chat programs, weather, etc. The only thing I can think of is that i am always on wifi at work or home (I even have bluetooth running all the time).

I wonder if it can be all those themes you have instaled?
    Last edited by LrdAnkh; 03-03-11 at 07:54 AM.
    03-03-11 07:48 AM
    Gonna be an AWESOME criminal minds tonight....parmesan popcorn is ready!!

i fell asleep, i was sooooo wiped out! Oh well, theres always the re-runs on ION, TNT and that other channel, forget the name of it. LOL

BOB!!!!!!! its so nice to see you-we've missed you!! first off, good luck on the coloscopy, my hubs had his done the other day. Ugh! He was cranky! LOL

As for the BB Meter and the device showing diff amounts of mem avail. I think I've fig'd it out. I'll try to explain without going in circles. lol.

Ok, so your device opts say one thing, but if you look at your BB Meter# and then go into Options>Device>App Management, then in there "side scroll" to app storage, you'll see the "usage bar" in there the "free" number should match or be very close to your BB Meter #. So I hope that helps anyone who was wondering
    Excuse me, but who WAS the person who just posted under Bob's name? Do we KNOW him?

OHHHHHHH, it's Bob!!!!!!

And it's about time!
    Dr Prince was going to have a show dealing with grief and loss...

Welcome back Bob and good luck tomorrow with your exam. Saying a prayer for you!

Oh guys, read my blog post about Clockr here:
    Clockr- Premium Theme for BlackBerry by PhantomBBThemes | BlackBerry Empire
    can't wait to read you write up on that!

sorry to hear about the crohns, but yes, the colder the better.

rr, i saw the Prince noticed its a bug, but could it also be theme releated if your using one? Just a thought as well.
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 03-03-11 at 10:02 AM.
    03-03-11 07:50 AM

Essex, I highly doubt its BattEx because it uses so little as far as mem wise on your device, BUT if you'd really like to see if thats the culprit. Un-install it for a day or 2, watch your mem. If you see an improvement, then you know BattEx is the culprit. If no improvement, the you can re-install and possibly rack your brain trying to figure out what it is! and go crazy in the process. jaydee, hamster & i have come to the conclussion, its just the way out devices are, FTW we're gonna pimp'em the way we want and do a daily batt pull or 2 a day!
    i wish mine mem leak was that little! you are lucky Doc!

I feel the same about battery life. I mean usage patterns vary widely but I've seen posts claiming much better battery life than I've ever had, even with similar usage. There are a ton of variables to consider with battery life also, but my gut feeling is that some radio chips are just more efficent than others. All meet specs, but some blow the specs out of the water. Similar to some of the Intel CPUs; you may get one that OverClocks like mad and the next fella can't OC at all.

I agree with you Sky for the battery use as well. for some it drains like an open faucet and for others it closed shut!

EDIT: my memory ON MY PHONE is wild.... before Skyboxer or F2 pops in here and starts in on me....HAHA
    holy crappazoid!

btw, turning off your device at night "halts" the mem leak at where you left off. Example last night I shut off at 223mb free after loosing from 258 all day yest. so this morn my device just picked back up fresh from 223, and then starts the lose from there. I did a batt pull anyway to re-fresh.

Which leads me to my next question, I set up QL to do a reboot every morn at 6am. Its not doing it. did I miss a setting somewhere for it that I over looked?
    I feel for you Jaydee, I really do...I complain about my leaks and they are nothing compared to yours...
    FWIW, mine leaks overnight too while charged in? Don't know why either.
    We need Sherlock Holmes at this point...Very strange.
    Well, turning off, might be an option. Try it just one time and see, if it helps?
    As much as it would bug you do it
    Yes Hamster, turning off just halts it at the number you left off at and when you turn back on it'll pick back up from that number and leak from there.

BTW iHiker, good luck to your Dad as well!!
    03-03-11 08:03 AM
    Which leads me to my next question, I set up QL to do a reboot every morn at 6am. Its not doing it. did I miss a setting somewhere for it that I over looked?

Yes Hamster, turning off just halts it at the number you left off at and when you turn back on it'll pick back up from that number and leak from there.

BTW iHiker, good luck to your Dad as well!!
    I set it up too, to do a reboot and not doing it....hmmm.

Ok good to know about turning off, thanks...I don't turn it off - ever...at night it goes into bedtime mode...just in case for that one call I might need to take...

Jaydee - just read your article: Fabulous! Makes me want to go buy it!!!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-03-11 08:25 AM
    jaydee, what a great write up on "Clockr" I'm sure Stephanie @ BB Phantom will be most proud to see her name in lights!

I am still very interested in this as well, and honestly after reading your article, I'm giving consideration to buying this in the near future
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    03-03-11 08:38 AM
    I set it up too, to do a reboot and not doing it....hmmm.

Ok good to know about turning off, thanks...I don't turn it off - ever...at night it goes into bedtime mode...just in case for that one call I might need to take...

Jaydee - just read your article: Fabulous! Makes me want to go buy it!!!
    yes, turning off will just halt the leak at the number it has already leaked to.

I understand what you mean, I used to leave mine on all the time as well, but I've gotten to the point where if someone REALLY needs me, they have my home# to call if theres an emergency.
    03-03-11 08:40 AM
23,186 ... 476477478479480 ...