All of my backups have been done on DM. Hmmmmm....that includes dated .ipd files from my old bold 8330, my 9650 on OS5 and now my bold on os6. Do you think there might be a bunch of old stuff I should delete off my pc because of this? Remember when I did my upgrade to OS6 that it was done OTA. (still so thankful this worked well for me, lol)
    TJ, I backup my device every day, I just keep the backups from the last month on my pc.
    TJC70 likes this.
    02-23-11 10:10 PM
    I downloaded it!! I'm trying to customize the menu now!!! What does the option "Default Launch Method, or the alternate launch methods" mean when I'm trying to add an App to the menu?!
    Hi there BBAddict....I found it very helpful to watch the videos of QL online. They are on their nokiasoft website. Sometimes the visual is well worth it.
    02-23-11 10:11 PM
    TJ, I backup my device every day, I just keep the backups from the last month on my pc.
    Prince, this sounds like a perfect plan to me! Where on my pc would I delete all those old backups? Holy craperonies there's gonna be a ton as I backup several times a week!
    02-23-11 10:15 PM
    Prince, this sounds like a perfect plan to me! Where on my pc would I delete all those old backups? Holy craperonies there's gonna be a ton as I backup several times a week!
    Mine are in my documents, I have a folder I call Blackberry, imagine that. I'm a little OCD about doing backups. I backup everyday at home, every once in awhile I'll forget, and I usually backup on my laptop at work. There's been a couple of times when I've had to go back and find a backup from a couple of weeks ago for whatever reason. That's my system and it works for me. I need a Dr. Prince Show to help me get inside my head with these backups!
    TJC70 likes this.
    02-23-11 10:27 PM
    Yikes! I only have DM loaded on my pc as my twins are always on the laptops (hard to believe all 8th grade textbooks are now online)....and I haven't backed up to BBSAK.

So being that the backup isn't showing up on the main screen as the date of last backup even though I have a dated .ipd file.....should I delete DM and try to reinstall it? Will that save any previous backups just in case?

Thanks for your help btw
    Reinstalling DM might be a good answer. Make sure that you get the latest DM (or DS, as it is now called Blackberry Desktop Software) from RIM. Don't use the release that came on the disc in the 9650 box. The early version of DS6 had some issues. I don't recall any specific details, but there were some Windows compatability problems among others. The disc that came with my wife's Bold in December was the first DS6 release, as were the discs that came with the two 9330 Curves that I bought in January, so I'm sure that there are still some older discs floating around.

My backups are saved in the default directory set up by DM. Look in your documents folder for a folder labeled BLACKBERRY. Inside is a folder labeled BACKUP. So long as you didn't change the default settings when you installed DM, I expect that your backup files (*.IPD) will be there. I would suggest that you copy the BACKUP folder to somewhere else on your computer (or better yet, a flash drive) before you uninstall DM. I don't know if the uninstall routine will remove your backups, so it doesn't hurt to be careful.
    Last edited by Underway99; 02-23-11 at 11:22 PM.
    TJC70 likes this.
    02-23-11 11:11 PM
    Mine are in my documents, I have a folder I call Blackberry, imagine that. I'm a little OCD about doing backups. I backup everyday at home, every once in awhile I'll forget, and I usually backup on my laptop at work. There's been a couple of times when I've had to go back and find a backup from a couple of weeks ago for whatever reason. That's my system and it works for me. I need a Dr. Prince Show to help me get inside my head with these backups!
    HAHA! I think we have enough topics amongst the ramblers to fill at least 5 seasons of the Dr. Prince Show!!

OCD is the only way to be. My friends tease me that I probably alphabetize my spice racks! Of course my spices are grouped accordingly, but I will never admit that to them! lol

Ok, back to topic lol.....so I will delete tons of mine as it really doesn't make sense to have them all. And to be completely honest....I have tried to open them in the past and my pc says it is unable to open the .ipd file so I wouldn't know what to do if I ever did need to reference one! Now that's OCD to the max
    02-23-11 11:15 PM
    HAHA! I think we have enough topics amongst the ramblers to fill at least 5 seasons of the Dr. Prince Show!!

OCD is the only way to be. My friends tease me that I probably alphabetize my spice racks! Of course my spices are grouped accordingly, but I will never admit that to them! lol

Ok, back to topic lol.....so I will delete tons of mine as it really doesn't make sense to have them all. And to be completely honest....I have tried to open them in the past and my pc says it is unable to open the .ipd file so I wouldn't know what to do if I ever did need to reference one! Now that's OCD to the max
    You'll be my co-host for the OCD show, we'll talk about my backups and your spice rack!!! WOW
    02-23-11 11:21 PM
    Reinstalling DM might be a good answer. Make sure that you get the latest DM (or DS, as it is now called Blackberry Desktop Software) from RIM. Don't use the release that came on the disc in the 9650 box. The early version of DS6 had some issues. I don't recall any specific details, but there were some Windows compatability problems among others. The disc that came with my wife's Bold in December was the first DS6 release, as were the discs that came with the two 9330 Curves that I bought in January, so I'm sure that there are still some older discs floating around.

My backups are saved in the default directory set up by DM. Look in your documents folder for a folder labeled BLACKBERRY. Inside is a folder labeled BACKUP. So long as you didn't change the default settings when you installed DM, I expect that your backup files (*.IPD) will be there. I would suggest that you copy the BACKUP folder to somewhere else on your computer (or better yet, a flash drive) before you uninstall DM. I don't know if the uninstall routine will remove your backups, so it doesn't hurt to be careful.
    Aha!! It is the DS6 software that I am running that came with my Bold. Yes, that is exactly where my files are located as well. Going to copy to the flash drive in the morning and also copy the folder to another location (will be my first time doing that, fun times, lol).

Thank you very much for this information! It's nice to learn so much about my computer along with my BB!
    02-24-11 12:37 AM
    You'll be my co-host for the OCD show, we'll talk about my backups and your spice rack!!! WOW
    Co-host? Really?? SWEET!!!
    02-24-11 12:40 AM
    I noticed a funny thing over in the themes forum. Forum pages that have a big @$$ picture posted on it has working zoom and text wrap. Check out the first page of one of bbt's premium theme threads. The image is huge, making the text unreadable, but zooming makes the text wrap and is easy to read. Certainly someone running the site can fix this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-11 02:24 AM
    443 isn't what we thought it would be. I've talked to a couple of friends today who are having similar issues with 443. They're headed back to 431 too.
    I'm with ya on this prince. It is not. Now my bold is still running slow. Not to mention having to do so many resets!! AARRRGH!. Do you have a show to help me deal with this crap?

lol on the spice racks...girl, you do need a show.

Aha!! It is the DS6 software that I am running that came with my Bold. Yes, that is exactly where my files are located as well. Going to copy to the flash drive in the morning and also copy the folder to another location (will be my first time doing that, fun times, lol).

Thank you very much for this information! It's nice to learn so much about my computer along with my BB!
    Glad you were able to get help here from this dysfunctional, ocd, rambling group! Hope it works!
    02-24-11 06:55 AM
    Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be able to wait until the weekend to go back to .431.
    Last night got an uncaught exception that battery ex was not responding or something like that. Reset.
    This morning, skins disappeared again. Reset.
    Now they are gone again, and the device is so slow to respond to anything

I don't have time right now, but later tonight it has to be done. UGH.

It really is weird how different versions of OS will work on some devices and not on others. Oh well. C'est la vie.
    02-24-11 07:07 AM
    Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be able to wait until the weekend to go back to .431.
    Last night got an uncaught exception that battery ex was not responding or something like that. Reset.
    This morning, skins disappeared again. Reset.
    Now they are gone again, and the device is so slow to respond to anything

I don't have time right now, but later tonight it has to be done. UGH.

It really is weird how different versions of OS will work on some devices and not on others. Oh well. C'est la vie.
    Indeed, no two installs are the same. I'm still on the fence about going back to 431. 443, while not great, isn't bad either. I don't have the problems I had with 466, and the lags diminishes with time.
    02-24-11 07:15 AM
    Wow, it seems like .431 is going to be the next "ol trusty" OS. That's twice I've come runnin back to it now.

Wow, it seems like .431 is going to be the next "ol trusty" OS. That's twice I've come runnin back to it now.

+1 431 is the one to recommend.
    TJ, I have always backed up my device data with DM but I have never tried a third party backup with it. Maybe I will. Maybe then I won't have to reinstall everything individually again leater if I do that...Now you have me thinking.

Jim,Underway, Prince, Paul, Skyboxer, Bob, Middbrew? Someone?...can you give me directions as to how to do a third party backup with DM???
    Then I can use Apploader, which will add back device data and then I can run DM backup for all my apps and themes? Can I do that???

I'm trying to streamline the process.
    02-24-11 07:18 AM

Lookin' that way skyboxer....431 was stable and smooth, and apart from the memory leaks - which were app related ie bw icons sets, it was great.
    Runnin' there myslef later.
    02-24-11 07:21 AM
    Hi there BBAddict....I found it very helpful to watch the videos of QL online. They are on their nokiasoft website. Sometimes the visual is well worth it.
    Thanks! I will do that today sometime!
    02-24-11 07:21 AM
    Thanks! I will do that today sometime!
    Oops.....thats nikkisoft...darn insomnia!

Back to bed I go.
    blackberryaddict85 likes this.
    02-24-11 07:27 AM
    TJ, I have always backed up my device data with DM but I have never tried a third party backup with it. Maybe I will. Maybe then I won't have to reinstall everything individually again leater if I do that...Now you have me thinking.

Jim,Underway, Prince, Paul, Skyboxer, Bob, Middbrew? Someone?...can you give me directions as to how to do a third party backup with DM???
    Then I can use Apploader, which will add back device data and then I can run DM backup for all my apps and themes? Can I do that???

JD,
    I dont really use bbsak, this is how i back up my third party apps using dm. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/
    02-24-11 07:32 AM
    I'm with ya on this prince. It is not. Now my bold is still running slow. Not to mention having to do so many resets!! AARRRGH!. Do you have a show to help me deal with this crap?

lol on the spice racks...girl, you do need a show.

Glad you were able to get help here from this dysfunctional, ocd, rambling group! Hope it works!
    Oh heck yeah! I think that's WHY I DO learn so much......I'm a natural born dysfunctional, ocd, ramblin' kinda gal!!!!

Enjoy the day....I have to admit that I have been awake all night working on my pc, 2 laptops, bb and reading CB. Pathetic I know but I am determined to get all this done before I go back to work full time next Tuesday! Time to catch some Zzzzzs
    02-24-11 07:35 AM
    Hey Jaydee, I finally figured out how to get skins to my phone but one problem. I renamed the folder and put the skins in the folder . Folder name came to my phone but I can't open the new folder on my phone ! Its like there is only one skin in the new folder . Can you please step down from your throne for a minute to help your humble servant your Heiness ! Lol

02-24-11 07:35 AM

That would be super! Honestly I thought that DM actually did backup my third party apps along with my device data.

I'll be anxious to see what the general consensus is early this afternoon when I wake back up. Btw, during my all nighter I downloaded File Scout...it is on sale on cb and thought it might help with all the problems I am having with the batteryex skins.
    02-24-11 07:42 AM
    Hey Jaydee, I finally figured out how to get skins to my phone but one problem. I renamed the folder and put the skins in the folder . Folder name came to my phone but I can't open the new folder on my phone ! Its like there is only one skin in the new folder . Can you please step down from your throne for a minute to help your humble servant your Heiness ! Lol

Hi Buford...
    The most common problem is having a second folder within the battery ex skin folder. Make sure there isn't an extra folder in there somewhere. This happened to me and the skins wouldn't show up on the phone.
    Try that
    02-24-11 07:52 AM
    Oh heck yeah! I think that's WHY I DO learn so much......I'm a natural born dysfunctional, ocd, ramblin' kinda gal!!!!

Enjoy the day....I have to admit that I have been awake all night working on my pc, 2 laptops, bb and reading CB. Pathetic I know but I am determined to get all this done before I go back to work full time next Tuesday! Time to catch some Zzzzzs
    TJ, you know you were up all night organizing the spice rack!! Haha

02-24-11 07:54 AM
23,186 ... 462463464465466 ...