could use a little help here guys and gals, here's the situation...

currently have 443 installed on my phone, downloaded the hybrid and installed on PC (left the current 443 os on my PC as I thought I read you were suppose to leave it on?) after hybrid install it started the apploader but then hangs up almost instantly when trying to connect to JVM saying loader is not responding

so I figured I would delete 443 from my pc and the hybrid and redownload both and reinstall 443. Can I run apploader and reinstall 443 over the 443 currently on my phone or do I need to use BBSAK to wipe phone first? ANY and ALL help/suggestions is much needed thanks yall
    lethal,
    I was having some issues installing straight .436 as well and was having the same problem that my device was not connecting to my comp. I ran the disk cleanup on my computer and did a battery pull on my bb (after i unplugged it from the comp) and tried again and it worked fine, so you might want to try that.
    02-20-11 06:28 PM

Yeah I saw that. My battery is very fine and I have no complaints. I'm about 20 hrs since my last charge and have 62% I think this may be the best battery life I ever had on any os ever.
    Wow! 20 hrs. and your still ONLY at 62%, thats GREAT! I'll have a better gauge tomorrow on how my batt life is after I charged up fresh tonight and start the day tomorrow
    02-20-11 06:32 PM
    ok, guys and dolls, I think I found an issue with Bolt. I just tried posting a screen shot using Bolt. I started typing the img code in the reply box, pulled up my email, copied the PB code, backed out to the reply box and went to click my menu key to paste, and it wont work. The menu key won't bring up any options. Now i didnt try a batt pull to see if it straightens it out. But just giving a heads up, in case it doesn't work for anyone else.

I'm gonna try a batt pull now, open Bolt again and see what happens.

I had to use the oem broswer to post it.

EDIT; batt pull did not fix that issue with c/p on Bolt. It still didnt work
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 02-20-11 at 07:14 PM.
    02-20-11 06:55 PM
    lethal,
    I was having some issues installing straight .436 as well and was having the same problem that my device was not connecting to my comp. I ran the disk cleanup on my computer and did a battery pull on my bb (after i unplugged it from the comp) and tried again and it worked fine, so you might want to try that.
    what did you use for your disk cleanup? I already deleted the previous 443 os from my program files in my control panel but still have the programfiles(x86)/commonfiles/research_in_motion folder. do I need to delete that or keep it?
    02-20-11 06:59 PM
    what did you use for your disk cleanup? I already deleted the previous 443 os from my program files in my control panel but still have the programfiles(x86)/commonfiles/research_in_motion folder. do I need to delete that or keep it?
    no i just clicked on the windows button on the bottom left of my comp, then typed in disk cleanup. an option came up and i ran that. (it clears cache, recycle bin, and stuff like that). Then i did a batt pull and tried again and it worked. I didnt delete the os off my computer and no you should not delete the research in motion folder.
    I would reinstall .443 to your computer, run the disk cleanup, do a battery pull and try the install using app loader again and see if that works.
    02-20-11 08:04 PM
    ok, guys and dolls, I think I found an issue with Bolt. I just tried posting a screen shot using Bolt. I started typing the img code in the reply box, pulled up my email, copied the PB code, backed out to the reply box and went to click my menu key to paste, and it wont work. The menu key won't bring up any options. Now i didnt try a batt pull to see if it straightens it out. But just giving a heads up, in case it doesn't work for anyone else.

I'm gonna try a batt pull now, open Bolt again and see what happens.

I had to use the oem broswer to post it.

EDIT; batt pull did not fix that issue with c/p on Bolt. It still didnt work
    Pink, I am able to paste text in there. My menu button works. But what image tag do you type in the reply box? I couldn't get it to work...
    02-20-11 08:37 PM
    no i just clicked on the windows button on the bottom left of my comp, then typed in disk cleanup. an option came up and i ran that. (it clears cache, recycle bin, and stuff like that). Then i did a batt pull and tried again and it worked. I didnt delete the os off my computer and no you should not delete the research in motion folder.
    I would reinstall .443 to your computer, run the disk cleanup, do a battery pull and try the install using app loader again and see if that works.

Thanks for the advice but did not fix my problem, whenever I try to run apploader its saying that the handheld device loader failed to launch. I guess I give up on trying to load the hybrid and suppose I am just stuck with the straight 443 that I have now which is no problem as 433 has been running great for me but was eager and curious to try the hybrid
    02-20-11 08:49 PM
    if my problem is with apploader how can I re-install it? whats it tied to, DM? If I uninstall DM6 and re-install DM will that fix my problem? anyone got any clues?
    02-20-11 08:51 PM
    jaydee, I used this for my image codes, as I always have [ I m g ] & [ / I m g ] without the spaces of course. Now, after I copied the link from my email and went back to my post to paste my PB image link, when I clicked the menu key in Bolt to get "paste" absolutelY nothing came up at all! I clicked the menu key again thinking I didn't click it hard enough the first time, and no good. BUT, if I go onto an image that I wanted to copy, I can click the image, click menu key and get the 'download image' to work. I don't get it
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 02-20-11 at 09:00 PM.
    02-20-11 08:53 PM
    if my problem is with apploader how can I re-install it? whats it tied to, DM? If I uninstall DM6 and re-install DM will that fix my problem? anyone got any clues?
    Download a program for your PC called CCleaner. Go to download.com and get it. That should clean things up for you.
    02-20-11 09:04 PM
    Infamous, now?

Yes, this seems to address the occasional inability of the browser to connect via WiFi.

The straight vs hybrid seems to be about 50/50 in this thread. The hybrid is a combination of the base OS (in this case, 443) and some of the files from another version or versions. Some think that a particular combination runs better than others. Others don't. You really can't go wrong here with this one, hybrid or not. I'd suggest that you start with the straight version, and load a hybrid later if there's something about the OS that you just don't like or doesn't work for you.

Blackberry Desktop Software 6 is a major rewrite of Desktop Manager 5. I've read that DS6 is supposed to work better with OS6. I still have DM5 on one machine, and I've not tried it with a BB with OS6. It's on my daughter's computer, and she has a Tour -- no OS6 issues there!
    Infamous? LOL...I had to think about that for a moment. The twins and I were studying for a social studies test tomorrow and discussing the 'infamous Boston Massacre/Paul Revere'...wow, guess I was saying one thing and just typed it!

IMHO you ramblers are da sh*@....and that's meant in the most heartfelt way!!

I've been taking notes on doing this upgrade. (Yes, I'm ocd like that....but no, I don't alphabetize my spice racks as my friends accuse me of doing, lol). Gonna stick with DM6, load bbsak and give this a whirl as the loading/browsing/connectivity issue is driving me nuts!!

Everyones advice here has been invaluable! Many thanks :-) hang tight with me tomorrow as it may be a bumpy ride...wink wink!

02-20-11 10:56 PM
    TJ, we're always around to help. Good luck!
    02-20-11 11:27 PM
    Infamous? LOL...I had to think about that for a moment. The twins and I were studying for a social studies test tomorrow and discussing the 'infamous Boston Massacre/Paul Revere'...wow, guess I was saying one thing and just typed it!

I've been taking notes on doing this upgrade. (Yes, I'm ocd like that....but no, I don't alphabetize my spice racks as my friends accuse me of doing, lol). Gonna stick with DM6, load bbsak and give this a whirl as the loading/browsing/connectivity issue is driving me nuts!!

Everyones advice here has been invaluable! Many thanks :-) hang tight with me tomorrow as it may be a bumpy ride...wink wink!

TJ, We'll be here...did you see all my posts yesterday wile upgrading?
    The ramblers may be dysfunctional, but always ready and willing to help anyone...!!
    02-21-11 06:43 AM
    G'Morning all!

Ok here's my first thoughts on 443...

I'm not sure about it.
    After the required 3 battery pulls, it was still quite laggy.
    Also, at one point I dropped 18mb of memory in an hour - now granted that settled down a bit, but it was unnerving because one of the reasons I upgraded was to see if it had better memory management.
    The other thing that bothered me was that after some use, my media pictures would not load....and the baterryex skins would disappear.
    Only a battery pull would fix this.?? And I had to do several.
    The browser? Didn't see much difference - in fact it was slower.
    And the last thing...when I plugged it in to charge, the charging lightning bolt on the default battery did not show....(I think I read someone here having that issue as well).
    So it's too soon to tell, I'm going to try it today and see if everything has settled and hope it runs smoother...
    Otherwise, back to .431 it is for me, and memory leaks be damned. It was pretty solid and I had none of these issues.
    Maybe 443 does not like my Bold
    02-21-11 06:51 AM
    G'Morning all!

Ok here's my first thoughts on 443...

I'm not sure about it.
    After the required 3 battery pulls, it was still quite laggy.
    Also, at one point I dropped 18mb of memory in an hour - now granted that settled down a bit, but it was unnerving because one of the reasons I upgraded was to see if it had better memory management.
    The other thing that bothered me was that after some use, my media pictures would not load....and the baterryex skins would disappear.
    Only a battery pull would fix this.?? And I had to do several.
    The browser? Didn't see much difference - in fact it was slower.
    And the last thing...when I plugged it in to charge, the charging lightning bolt on the default battery did not show....(I think I read someone here having that issue as well).
    So it's too soon to tell, I'm going to try it today and see if everything has settled and hope it runs smoother...
    Otherwise, back to .431 it is for me, and memory leaks be damned. It was pretty solid and I had none of these issues.
    Maybe 443 does not like my Bold
    Hamster,
    Maybe the re is something wrong with your install?
    I did Shame's hybrid and my BattEx skins work fine and did from the first go. The browser sux crap like it always did but I am using Bolt just fine. Don't tell me you gave up on Bolt, too? I've never had a problem with it. As far as the charging bolt showing, mine is.

The memory leak is huge tho. 42 in 11 hours. but to be honest, I was changing around BeWeather skins, customizing two themes and playing with my camera, so... will test today. If the memory loss isn't horrific here on 443, I will be staying put. Take each of your probs one at a time and research them? or download Shane's hybrid and install over you 443 and see if that works?
    02-21-11 07:01 AM
    Hamster,
    I did Shame's hybrid and my BattEx skins work fine and did from the first go. The browser sux crap like it always did but I am using Bolt just fine. Don't tell me you gave up on Bolt, too? I've never had a problem with it. As far as the charging bolt showing, mine is.

The memory leak is huge tho. 42 in 11 hours. but to be honest, I was changing around BeWeather skins, customizing two themes and playing with my camera, so... will test today. If the memory loss isn't horrific here on 443, I will be staying put. Take each of your probs one at a time and research them? or download Shane's hybrid and install over you 443 and see if that works?
    Jaydee...that was the first thing that came to mind - the install. I did exactly as you and the others told me to, but who knows?
    Bolt - no, not given up, but seriously the small font is killing me. At least with the native browser I can zoom and as much of a PIA the scrolling is, I can read it!

Hybrid. I don't use that word! lol! Just kidding. Is it easy to do?
    I'm going to give it today and see how it runs and I'll post back and let you guys know the status..
    Thanks for the help...
    02-21-11 07:13 AM

TJ, one of us is always around to help, and of course if we can we certainly will.
    TJ, We'll be here...did you see all my posts yesterday wile upgrading?
    The ramblers may be dysfunctional, but always ready and willing to help anyone...!!
    dysfunctional but most helpful
    Hamster,

My batt skins work also, yea the borwser still sucks @$$, mem leak seems to be much better than it was but i'm still using BW default fonts. I have that paste issue with Bolt, so I'm going to delete it and try re-installing it to see if theres a change, if not, its outta here for good! Don't need the shizz!
    Jaydee...that was the first thing that came to mind - the install. I did exactly as you and the others told me to, but who knows?
    Bolt - no, not given up, but seriously the small font is killing me. At least with the native browser I can zoom and as much of a PIA the scrolling is, I can read it!

Hybrid. I don't use that word! lol! Just kidding. Is it easy to do?
    I'm going to give it today and see how it runs and I'll post back and let you guys know the status..
    Thanks for the help...
    Hamster, I'm sorry your having issues with the install. Maybe try what jaydee suggested will help or resolve all the issues.

I have to say, 443 is moving quicker for me than 431 did. I permanently lost all my auto tx codes I had, tried getting them back thru a restore, but for some reason, they didnt. Oh well. I lost all my saved emails also, but I was able to get those back-those were more important than my auto tx, I can always rebuild it.

As for Bolt, after the upgrade, I'm having issues with using the paste function, idk why. So I also have reverted back to using the oem browser with zooming in and toggling left to right to read it.

BTW, with your BattEx skins disappearing, that happened to me last week BEFORE we even upgraded to 443. this is know to happen, I've seen a few people post about it in the BattEx thread. Usually backing out and then going back in fixes the issue, if not a batt pull will So that should put your mind at ease with that issue.

Keep us posted and of course if theres anything we can help you with, we will
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 02-21-11 at 09:42 AM.
    02-21-11 09:37 AM
    Pink,
    Autotext gets lost with every install as RIM changed the module name to word substitution so the installer doesn't know where the replacement is I guess. Some kinda RIM snafu that has never been fixed. Rebuild every time. Or better yet, keep all the autotext things in memopad so them you can just paste in.

Even word substitution backups from install to install don't work. Really a glaring error as I understand it because other phones don't have autotext and bbs do...so what the fuc*?
    02-21-11 10:02 AM
    i loaded shanes hybrid over 443 last night and it's really fast. no problems until i loaded my old ringtones back. then i get a java lang error. other than that it's fast and the best os i've had so far.
    02-21-11 10:13 AM
    Alright, so maybe the OS just needed to settle a bit...Everything seems to be running fine now. Phew.
    And memory has settled down, no leaks so far, though I do still have only BW default icon.
    I'll keep track if those annoying issues pop up again.

The only one thing that is not showing up still is the lighting bolt charging thing on the default battery icon.

As far as autotext..do you know I never added my own Gotta work on that
    02-21-11 10:15 AM
    i loaded shanes hybrid over 443 last night and it's really fast. no problems until i loaded my old ringtones back. then i get a java lang error. other than that it's fast and the best os i've had so far.
    This is weird as I have been getting 3 java.lang type errors every time I reboot and it's been on every os since I came over to 6. I just hit "OK" and move on they seem to not be an issue at least.
    RE the ringtones if you store them on a mem card they will come with you for every upgrade no prob. Have you checked out the ringtones section of CB? That is one huge ringtone library. D/L and save to mem card. I always shrink out all the ringtones prior to installing any new os and use my own.

Alright, so maybe the OS just needed to settle a bit...Everything seems to be running fine now. Phew.
    Glad to hear it. I was thinking it was time to get you to hybrid ville. It's coming down the road. "There it is , up ahead the signpost, "welcome to "hybrid zone" . LOL. Good morning btw! We had a storm over the weekend and I've got yard work on the schedule this week. Loads of cleanup...YUCK!
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-21-11 at 11:19 AM.
    02-21-11 11:14 AM
    Pink,

Autotext gets lost with every install as RIM changed the module name to word substitution so the installer doesn't know where the replacement is I guess. Some kinda RIM snafu that has never been fixed. Rebuild every time. Or better yet, keep all the autotext things in memopad so them you can just paste in.

Even word substitution backups from install to install don't work. Really a

glaring error as I understand it because other phones don't have autotext and bbs do...so what the fuc*?
    wtf is right! I had some library going of links

It clicked when you made the point that on OS5 it was called "auto text" and now its "word substitution" its gonna take me a while to rebuild it. Oh well!
    And memory has settled down, no leaks so far, though I do still have only BW default icon.
    I'll keep track if those annoying issues pop up again.

The only one thing that is not showing up still is the lighting bolt charging thing on the default battery icon.

As far as autotext..do you know I never added my own Gotta work on that
    Hamster I had to do about 5-6 batt pulls till I was leveled out also, but I'm glad it has improved for you

Btw, I knew I forgot to mention to you also, my batt doesn't show the bolt when charging either! Go figure!

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 02-21-11 at 11:24 AM.
    02-21-11 11:18 AM
    [QUOTE=cbreze;6073547]This is weird as I have been getting 3 java.lang type errors every time I reboot and it's been on every os since I came over to 6. I just hit "OK" and move on they seem to not be an issue at least.
    RE the ringtones if you store them on a mem card they will come with you for every upgrade no prob. Have you checked out the ringtones section of CB? That is one huge ringtone library. D/L and save to mem card. I always shrink out all the ringtones prior to installing any new os and use my own.

thanks. i was just using the 2 cods that rim had with the old tones. i wasn't loading on the card so maybe that will help. i didn't have the error until i downloaded the ringtones but i may have dwld some apps as well. i did a wipe and shrink and the shrink could have caused it but the prob didn't show up on the first reboot.
    02-21-11 11:30 AM

thanks. i was just using the 2 cods that rim had with the old tones. i wasn't loading on the card so maybe that will help. i didn't have the error until i downloaded the ringtones but i may have dwld some apps as well. i did a wipe and shrink and the shrink could have caused it but the prob didn't show up on the first reboot.
    Your shrinking of the OS more than likely DID NOT cause the java error. I shrink nearly everything out of the OS and I never get the error. Maybe its from some other app you installed.
    02-21-11 11:59 AM
    Your shrinking of the OS more than likely DID NOT cause the java error. I shrink nearly everything out of the OS and I never get the error. Maybe its from some other app you installed.
    JayDee, I don't know why I get mine either, but as I said it's been on every incarnation of 6 whether hybrid or straight. It seems to be a non-issue as far as performance. It's always three errors. Pops up with every reboot. I remember Shane saying something about it re one of his hybrids. Saying it was not a big deal. Have you gotten them at all? I'm not worried about it and there are worse things that could be going on like large mem leaks or poor battery which I have escaped thus far. So just curious is all.
    EDIT: Is java lang a language error? I always shrink all languages and all fonts.
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-21-11 at 12:08 PM.
    02-21-11 12:05 PM
23,186 ... 456457458459460 ...