Thanks middbrew! Your information is a great help think I will start with getting bbsak on my laptop and take it from there.

I know I have seen the link to the hybrid somewhere, but does anyone have it offhand along with the direct link?

Thanks again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Here's the link to Shane's install. It has the option to use it with either 431 or 443. Shane was having some battery issues so he went with 431. He also added the updated .12 for twitter, .46 for BBM, and .26 for facebook. http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/6-...nstall-586961/
    02-20-11 04:12 PM
    02-20-11 04:14 PM
    I have been following the .443 upgrade/install between the infamous ramblers all day and have a few basic questions before I decide about this venture.

First would this upgrade help with an annoying problem I have been experiencing since late Friday.....almost every time I go to load a page I get an error about not being able to connect to the internet. I stop the load and click the restart and the page loads immediately.

Next, have most loaded the leak or the hybrid? Not sure I understand the difference.

Lastly, what is BBSAK? And I have DM 6 on my laptop....is this just as good as DM 5?

Thanks to all of you for your help! Your patience is so appreciated! :-)

Infamous, now?

Yes, this seems to address the occasional inability of the browser to connect via WiFi.

The straight vs hybrid seems to be about 50/50 in this thread. The hybrid is a combination of the base OS (in this case, 443) and some of the files from another version or versions. Some think that a particular combination runs better than others. Others don't. You really can't go wrong here with this one, hybrid or not. I'd suggest that you start with the straight version, and load a hybrid later if there's something about the OS that you just don't like or doesn't work for you.

Blackberry Desktop Software 6 is a major rewrite of Desktop Manager 5. I've read that DS6 is supposed to work better with OS6. I still have DM5 on one machine, and I've not tried it with a BB with OS6. It's on my daughter's computer, and she has a Tour -- no OS6 issues there!
    02-20-11 04:20 PM
    Jim call me crazy, and Dr.Prince I prob need meds, but after an install, I need my icons in a certain place, folder, order. Otherwise my OCD gets the best of me
    I think we're all a little OCDish each in our own way and when it comes to our BB Bolds watch out as we're very protective of just how we set it up and such.
    It's all good tho, be boring if we were all the same. Then we'd have nothing to learn from each other.
    That said maybe it's why I have fewer issues with installs and reloads, I have a simpler setup. In any case we're all learning here.

EDIT: How's the battery life experience? Not enough time yet? I loaded this up yesterday and have not charged since and am only down to 68%. This may be due to the fact I did not load the 6.1 files this time. Some have said that was a battery hog. Could be something to that. Again, I'm very pleased with this hybrid. Best yet, bar none!
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-20-11 at 04:29 PM.
    02-20-11 04:24 PM
    P.s. jaydee, my apps did load back on without a hitch, as far as I know. I still have to finish setting up while trying to enjoy lunch at the same time!

It is strange that yours don't all go back.
    My apps are gonna be the death of me. But anyway, this OS seems a lot faster and smoother FWIW. I have 302MB with all 20 apps and 10 themes.
    WooHoo Back to OS5 numbers baby. I likey.

Reboot is faster too!
    I loaded Shane's hybrid like Jim and Middbrew before me.
    If Jim, OS R US says do it, I do it!!!!
    02-20-11 04:40 PM
    Got a question and thought maybe someone might know. Referring to the screen shot below, I was wondering if there is a setting to make the "vorino battery" text to go away below the clock. I've had themes with os-5 that could have an inserted app of your choosing and not show the actual name of the app. It could be something in the code that theme makers leave out don't know, but thought I'd just put it to the group for any input. Doesn't seem to make any diff what I slide into that slot either, it all has the app's name in text form. Be a lot cleaner without the text. TIA!

LMAO! But,Glad you got it sorted out. Trust me it was worth it.
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-20-11 at 04:46 PM.
    02-20-11 04:44 PM
    My apps are gonna be the death of me. But anyway, this OS seems a lot faster and smoother FWIW. I have 302MB with all 20 apps and 10 themes.

Reboot is faster too!
    302MB? What all did you get rid of? I added only SS and PhotoBucket, and I have 255MB. I lost 30-35MB.
    02-20-11 04:46 PM
    Got a question and thought maybe someone might know. Referring to the screen shot below, I was wondering if there is a setting to make the "vorino battery" text to go away below the clock. I've had themes with os-5 that could have an inserted app of your choosing and not show the actual name of the app. It could be something in the code that theme makers leave out don't know, but thought I'd just put it to the group for any input. Doesn't seem to make any diff what I slide into that slot either, it all has the app's name in text form. Be a lot cleaner without the text. TIA!

This is your theme, right? I mean, you wrote it?

I think that TB allows you to hide or disable the application label. I'll try it in a bit when I have TB fired up.
    cbreze likes this.
    02-20-11 04:49 PM
    302MB? What all did you get rid of? I added only SS and PhotoBucket, and I have 255MB. I lost 30-35MB.
    Mine hangs around 312mb with a couple themes and about 15 apps
    02-20-11 04:50 PM
    This is your theme, right? I mean, you wrote it?

I think that TB allows you to hide or disable the application label. I'll try it in a bit when I have TB fired up.
    My theme? heck no! I wish I could do stuff this good. It's the one premium theme I have. When I make themes I don't have this issue and as you say it can be left off. I was thinking possibly there was some obscure setting adjustment I missed. As I scroll thru the icons in my files the text always shows up when you touch an icon, so was hoping there was some setting adjustment, I know grasping at straws here. I'll put it to the theme builder, maybe on the next upgrade, thanks tho.
    02-20-11 04:55 PM
    cbreeze more than likely the theme builder wanted that to be a weather slot and kept the text always on (which is a button you can enable within theme builder) so you can always see the conditions and temp.
    cbreze likes this.
    02-20-11 04:58 PM

Yes, it is a setting in TB. Who ever made the theme left the box checked that has the app name displayed.
    cbreze likes this.
    02-20-11 04:59 PM
    I deleted everything. I'm not kidding. Everything but BBM and Docs to Go, Tasks and Memopad. That's about it.

Jim, That's a theme thing I believe. The text is there by developer's design.
    Oh geez! RR and Middbrew beat me to it!
    Well, at least we are all in agreement!
    cbreze likes this.
    02-20-11 05:02 PM
    Thanks RR, midd and underway. Of course it's a weather slot and has to be that way. Makes perfect sense now. If I put the weather in that slot I'd want to see the conditions, duh.
    02-20-11 05:05 PM
    I deleted everything. I'm not kidding. Everything but BBM and Docs to Go, Tasks and Memopad. That's about it.

Yep, we seem to have a consensus. Thanks for your input.
    I guess the reason I have a tad more mb of mem then you is because I don't use Docs, Tasks, or memo pad, so I delete.
    02-20-11 05:09 PM

Reboot is faster too!
    Reboot is faster! And all my apps were reloaded. Sorry you had trouble Jaydee...that has got be frustrating as s***.
    Granted, I don't have that much stuff on my phone..Maybe 5 themes and maybe 5 or 6 apps. My memex says 335mb free and bbmeter at 275...still find that very weird...such a huge variance btwn the 2. Oh well.
    Haven't tried the browser yet....still playing around!
    02-20-11 05:25 PM

Yep, we seem to have a consensus. Thanks for your input.
    I guess the reason I have a tad more mb of mem then you is because I don't use Docs, Tasks, or memo pad, so I delete.
    How about fonts? Which do you delete?

Oh, and what are MBP files? Are they safe to dump?
    02-20-11 05:25 PM
    could use a little help here guys and gals, here's the situation...

currently have 443 installed on my phone, downloaded the hybrid and installed on PC (left the current 443 os on my PC as I thought I read you were suppose to leave it on?) after hybrid install it started the apploader but then hangs up almost instantly when trying to connect to JVM saying loader is not responding

so I figured I would delete 443 from my pc and the hybrid and redownload both and reinstall 443. Can I run apploader and reinstall 443 over the 443 currently on my phone or do I need to use BBSAK to wipe phone first? ANY and ALL help/suggestions is much needed thanks yall
    02-20-11 05:28 PM

I delete Indic, Japanese, misc, and a couple others. The browser needs a few of the fonts I think. I have the Font App Collection so I add fonts myself. MBP...blew it away, whatever it is. If I need it, I will add back a cod. If I can.
    02-20-11 05:29 PM
    could use a little help here guys and gals, here's the situation...

currently have 443 installed on my phone, downloaded the hybrid and installed on PC (left the current 443 os on my PC as I thought I read you were suppose to leave it on?) after hybrid install it started the apploader but then hangs up almost instantly when trying to connect to JVM saying loader is not responding

so I figured I would delete 443 from my pc and the hybrid and redownload both and reinstall 443. Can I run apploader and reinstall 443 over the 443 currently on my phone or do I need to use BBSAK to wipe phone first? ANY and ALL help/suggestions is much needed thanks yall
    If the 443 on your phone operates correctly, you can load over it.
    If your can't boot up your phone or you stopped it in the middle of loading, better to wipe it with BBSAK. However, if you wipe, Apploader will not be able to restore any of your data or apps, you will have to do that from back ups.

And you are correct to delete everything from your pc and re-download and reinstall it all from scratch...best way to get a clean error free install!
    02-20-11 05:35 PM
    I delete Indic, Japanese, misc, and a couple others. The browser needs a few of the fonts I think. I have the Font App Collection so I add fonts myself. MBP...blew it away, whatever it is. If I need it, I will add back a cod. If I can.
    Thanks. I haven't broken down yet and loaded the Font Collection.
    02-20-11 05:53 PM
    I think we're all a little OCDish each in our own way and when it comes to our BB Bolds watch out as we're very protective of just how we set it up and such.
    It's all good tho, be boring if we were all the same. Then we'd have nothing to learn from each other.
    That said maybe it's why I have fewer issues with installs and reloads, I have a simpler setup. In any case we're all learning here.

EDIT: How's the battery life experience? Not enough time yet? I loaded this up yesterday and have not charged since and am only down to 68%. This may be due to the fact I did not load the 6.1 files this time. Some have said that was a battery hog. Could be something to that. Again, I'm very pleased with this hybrid. Best yet, bar none!
    Well, I've just sat down aft running around alllll day....and realized none of my auto text that I've added transferred my links, color codes etc. that sucks! i'll have to load it in from my back up i did. I also lost my custom fonts that I loaded on, but I have a folder on my laptop saved, so those will be dumped back on too. I'll deal with it tomorrow. The only other thing I did notice is some of the menu boxes are chopped on the bottom. I tried changing the font size down to 9, i usually do 10 or 11, and no change. Battery life, to soon to tell, after my 4 batt pulls i was down to 35%, but prior to loading the os i was only at 85%, so it put a big draw on the batt from rebooting so many times. But boot time is soooo much quicker than 431! What could it have taken 2 minutes fully?!? i was like wow! I just stepped into the browser real quick, and I like the bookmarks as thumbnails! so far, very snappy-quicker than 431 thats for sure!!!

Reboot is faster too!
    sorry to hear about your apps, that does suckage.

As for mem, I'm teetering at 280 according to my device opts and at 270 according to BB Meter. I'm looking better than I did on 431, where as I was at 250 from device opts and 240ish from BB Meter.
    wow, 312 is a sweet numba!

I see everyone else had their hands on this, but I would've guessed it was a theme setting too.
    Reboot is faster! And all my apps were reloaded. Sorry you had trouble Jaydee...that has got be frustrating as s***.
    Granted, I don't have that much stuff on my phone..Maybe 5 themes and maybe 5 or 6 apps. My memex says 335mb free and bbmeter at 275...still find that very weird...such a huge variance btwn the 2. Oh well.
    Haven't tried the browser yet....still playing around!
    Yay! your leaking HamsterLOL Your numbers after loading are good too! Ballin'!

ok, so what does the "MPB" files actually mean? Idk either.
    02-20-11 06:00 PM

Shane said that the 443 wasn't as good for battery life as 436. He's combined the 436 and 443 hybrids into a single distribution.
    02-20-11 06:16 PM
    Regarding fonts, I always click the "all" button. It never deletes all of them, must be a failsafe or something. I add my own anyway.

Shane said that the 443 wasn't as good for battery life as 436. He's combined the 436 and 443 hybrids into a single distribution.
    Yeah I saw that. My battery is very fine and I have no complaints. I'm about 20 hrs since my last charge and have 62% I think this may be the best battery life I ever had on any os ever.
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-20-11 at 06:24 PM.
    02-20-11 06:21 PM
    I delete all the fonts, never had a problem.

02-20-11 06:25 PM
23,186 ... 455456457458459 ...