yes I agree with you, jaydee has said this before also, and actually quite a few of the Ramblers have said this, that the custom bw sets cause leaks, some more than others. It really does just p*ss me off though that you can't use your phone to its full potential like you want to w/out a damn leak!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I do remember them saying that actually, now that you mention it. Yes, it's a pain. I might just get rid of bbmeter so then I won't know at all
    I say let's move on and not worry about it anymore and just enjoy. I'm fed up with monitoring and just want to use my phone the way I want.

BTW...This QL thing is neato!!! Why did anyone not tell me about it??? lol!
    02-19-11 07:59 PM
    I wasn't invited to be part of the Beta for the new BBM, so I don't have a keycode for that one. Do I just use my generic BetaZone login password?
    underway, no you have to have been part of the original bbm testing to have a keycode for this version to work. Honestly i would not worry about this version because you cant really use any of the new features unless others have 6.0 installed and no one has it yet so its kind of useless. I would however give the new twitter app a go, because it adds some new features and some ui improvements.
    underway99 likes this.
    02-19-11 08:00 PM
    underway, no you have to have been part of the original bbm testing to have a keycode for this version to work. Honestly i would not worry about this version because you cant really use any of the new features unless others have 6.0 installed and no one has it yet so its kind of useless. I would however give the new twitter app a go, because it adds some new features and some ui improvements.
    I have two Beta zone keycodes, but none for BBM. Thanks.

The frst time I loaded it, I went followed the directions and ran the batch file. After reboot and again when I started BBM, I was not asked for a keycode. I discovered that my loaded version was still 5/46, so I installed all 15 COD files with BBSAK. No change. It looks like I'll wait for this one. Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Underway99; 02-19-11 at 08:30 PM.
    02-19-11 08:22 PM
    RR, You mentioned that 443 was the best build. Can you be more specific how it compares to 431? Also, is the browser similar to 466 with the thumbnail view?
    02-19-11 08:25 PM
    RR, You mentioned that 443 was the best build. Can you be more specific how it compares to 431? Also, is the browser similar to 466 with the thumbnail view?
    Prince,
    for me .443 is a little snappier and faster than .431. the browser is faster for sure and overall it just transitions from one app to another quicker.
    .443 is also very stable and does not have any of the bugs that both .431 and .446 have. there is no wifi bug with .443, there is no sms bug with .443 and for me i had a bug in .431 where it would not send an sms, and that is gone with this build. .443 also has the new sms style where it just breaks up the sms into multiple messages instead of converting the longer messages to mms which is a nice feature. And yes .443 has the thumbnail view that was there is .466.
    There is a small bug that affects copy and past for app keycodes, but you can manually input them and it works just fine. All other copy and past functions work just fine, its only broke for inputting app keycodes for some reason.
    I also have less of a memory leak in .443. Overall it takes the best of .431 and .466 and combines them in one solid bug free build. I highly recommend .443, as its been the best build i have used so far.
    pr1nce likes this.
    02-19-11 08:33 PM

I just installed 443 today and dont see much difference from 466. Yes there is thumbnail for browser and the broswer does seem to be a bit faster but other than that I didnt notice anything different.

Thanks rryoung for your input on the leaks..

Underway, I feel ya on the QL, I just bought it yesterday and LOVE IT. I was always trying to find the best theme with the most allowable user icons on the homescreen but that is no longer an issue since I can have everything and anything I want at the click of the space! Best 5 bucks I have ever spent!!
    pr1nce likes this.
    02-19-11 08:37 PM
    Prince,
    for me .443 is a little snappier and faster than .431. the browser is faster for sure and overall it just transitions from one app to another quicker.
    .443 is also very stable and does not have any of the bugs that both .431 and .446 have. there is no wifi bug with .443, there is no sms bug with .443 and for me i had a bug in .431 where it would not send an sms, and that is gone with this build. .443 also has the new sms style where it just breaks up the sms into multiple messages instead of converting the longer messages to mms which is a nice feature. And yes .443 has the thumbnail view that was there is .466.
    There is a small bug that affects copy and past for app keycodes, but you can manually input them and it works just fine. All other copy and past functions work just fine, its only broke for inputting app keycodes for some reason.
    I also have less of a memory leak in .443. Overall it takes the best of .431 and .466 and combines them in one solid bug free build. I highly recommend .443, as its been the best build i have used so far.
    +1.

Jump on this, either the base 443 or Shane's 443 (450-466) hybrid. I'm running the hybrid -- very smooth. Skip the 6.1 files, BTW. They don't seem to add much but a battery drain.
    pr1nce likes this.
    02-19-11 08:52 PM
    Prince,
    Thanks RR, I appreciate your feedback on 443. 431 has run great for me, I don't have the wifi bug that some had and I have NO memory leak with 431. But if the browser's a little faster and it has the thumbnail view I'll probably load it up later tonight.
    02-19-11 08:52 PM
    Well sounds like Jim the newly crowned GENIUS!!!! (Congrats Jim!!!) and RR have had great luck with 443. If RR's memory leak could slow to that level...did he say about 7MB? then I am all for trying it. So Sunday night, I shall!!!!

I am going to put BattEx back on right now and enjoying "playing with my phone" as Pink so aptly put it! I too miss being able to customize the thing the way I want. I tell you, no one was happier than me when Al3azim's first theme for 6 came out and I could put it on my phone. D-a-m-n! Was I happy!!!!

Anyway, I'm off to cruise late night tv and see if I can find any of the magic memory leak stuff Underway says they're selling....

Oh and from now on, I got another Genius to consult! Jim- celebrate!!

Pretty soon Ramblers...we's gonna be too hot for anyone to handle!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 02-19-11 at 09:04 PM.
    cbreze likes this.
    02-19-11 09:01 PM
    Well sounds like Jim the newly crowned GENIUS!!!! (Congrats Jim!!!) and RR have had great luck with 443. If RR's memory leak could slow to that level...did he say about 7MB? then I am all for trying it. So Sunday night, I shall!!!!

I am going to put BattEx back on right now and enjoying "playing with my phone" as Pink so aptly put it! I too miss being able to customize the thing the way I want. I tell you, no one was happier than me when Al3azim's first theme for 6 came out and I could put it on my phone. D-a-m-n! Was I happy!!!!

Anyway, I'm off to cruise late night tv and see if I can find any of the magic memory leak stuff Underway says they're selling....

Oh and from now on, I got another Genius to consult! Jim- celebrate!!

Pretty soon Ramblers...we's gonna be too hot for anyone to handle!
    Thanks for the congrats JayDee. I feel so much smarter now. LOL!
    I've only leaked about 3mb using batt-ex, but have come to dislike the icon. I suppose it's probably skinable but I have found another called "vorino battery". It has an amazing amount of stuff you can do to customize it with different colors. It reminds me of the vorino clock which was the same for color customization. In any case I ended up with the best of both. I use the vorino for battery and the Batt-Ex for memory monitoring, so I'm very pleased with that arrangement.
    As for the new hybrid, it is running very nice and I'm very happy with it.
    +1 to everything everyone is saying about it. I highly recommend it or at least a straight 443 as an option. Seems an all around solid build. This time I did not load the 6.1 files as I never knew what they may have helped anyway and seem to have even better battery life. So jump on in the waters fine.
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-19-11 at 10:09 PM.
    02-19-11 10:06 PM
    Thanks for the congrats JayDee. I feel so much smarter now. LOL!
    I've only leaked about 3mb using batt-ex, but have come to dislike the icon. I suppose it's probably skinable but I have found another called "vorino battery". It has an amazing amount of stuff you can do to customize it with different colors. It reminds me of the vorino clock which was the same for color customization. In any case I ended up with the best of both. I use the vorino for battery and the Batt-Ex for memory monitoring, so I'm very pleased with that arrangement.
    As for the new hybrid, it is running very nice and I'm very happy with it.
    +1 to everything everyone is saying about it. I highly recommend it or at least a straight 443 as an option. Seems an all around solid build. This time I did not load the 6.1 files as I never knew what they may have helped anyway and seem to have even better battery life. So jump on in the waters fine.

where may i find this hybrid DL link? and are there any special install instructions I need to be aware of or do I just DL'ed it and install it like a typica los install? I just recently went to 443 and am please thus far but curious about this hybrid!
    02-19-11 10:13 PM
    where may i find this hybrid DL link? and are there any special install instructions I need to be aware of or do I just DL'ed it and install it like a typica los install? I just recently went to 443 and am please thus far but curious about this hybrid!
    Here's the link to the hybrid that Jim has on his Bold right now:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/6-...nstall-587187/

As for instructions, I believe you start with a clean install of 443 on your pc and then add the hybrid by running the installer over the top of the files. If you read Shane's first post, he will give the directions in the thread I've linked.

His hybrids are very good.
    02-19-11 10:26 PM
    Jim, Congrats on your Genius status!!
    cbreze likes this.
    02-19-11 11:01 PM
    A question for those who have been using .443. By any chance have you seen the option to add Universal Search as a shortcut in QL? For some reason this option is no longer showing in QL with me running.443.
    02-19-11 11:12 PM
    Jim, Congrats on your Genius status!!
    Thanks Keith. You load up 443 yet?
    02-19-11 11:14 PM
    A question for those who have been using .443. By any chance have you seen the option to add Universal Search as a shortcut in QL? For some reason this option is no longer showing in QL with me running.443.
    Curious, but what would the advantage be to launch via QL?
    I happen to prefer my keyboard shortcuts being active myself so I keep universal search disabled. If I want to activate it I press "S". A one key press and quicker even than QL.
    02-19-11 11:20 PM
    I'm using Shane's 443 hybrid. I still have Universal Search with QL.
    02-19-11 11:21 PM
    Curious, but what would the advantage be to launch via QL?
    I happen to prefer my keyboard shortcuts being active myself so I keep universal search disabled. If I want to activate it I press "S". A one key press and quicker even than QL.
    For me, the advantage is so that I can still have Universal Search when I use a custom theme. Remember that the theme builder only has the Universal Search as part of the BlackBerry6 style. A Custom6 style doesn't allow the (S) shortcut for Universal Search.
    Last edited by Underway99; 02-19-11 at 11:55 PM.
    02-19-11 11:24 PM
    For me, the advantage is so that I can still have Universal Search when I use a custom theme. Remember that the theme builder only has the Uniersal Search as part of the BlackBerry6 style. A Custom6 style doesn't allow the (S) shortcut for Universal Search.
    Guess ya got me there. Ah, the devil's in the details.
    02-19-11 11:28 PM
    I figured it out, I had installed an older version of QL, when I switched over to .443 because it did not make the transfer with Loader. So I just updated to QL 3.7 and it showed up again.

That is why I use Universal Search on QL because of using themes. If you hit "S" you get the option of adding to speed dial instead of the Universal Search.
    02-19-11 11:34 PM
    If I wasn't so chicken s*** I would try the new leak myself..but alas I'm afraid I would mess something up
    Down 1.5mb is awesome and still while changing stuff around

As for the Bold Touch, I saw it too and it looks sweet! I just got this Bold so I might have to wait awhile as I don't think I can afford to buy it out right
    I am soooo right there with ya Hamster! It sounds great, but considering my upgrade to .431 was my first upgrade ever on BB AND I DID IT OTA (not knowing any better and with no real recent backup) I think I got pretty darned lucky!!! Wiping the brow here as I just read a post jaydee made on the official .431 thread about how most of you NEVER upgrade OTA (and here I thought I was Miss Smarty Panty doing that while I slept....efficient Tammy, not)!!

As far as the memory leaks.....I think I'm doing pretty darned good here (I don't have a clue in HE-double hockey sticks how to track that btw)!!! Wink wink!!

On a positive note, I did post my first screenshot today so I'm proud ;-) Tomorrow I might figure out how to put a picture and signature on my profile!! Woot woot!!

It's so comforting to be in the company of such smarties! ;-)

02-20-11 12:03 AM
    I am soooo right there with ya Hamster! It sounds great, but considering my upgrade to .431 was my first upgrade ever on BB AND I DID IT OTA (not knowing any better and with no real recent backup) I think I got pretty darned lucky!!! Wiping the brow here as I just read a post jaydee made on the official .431 thread about how most of you NEVER upgrade OTA (and here I thought I was Miss Smarty Panty doing that while I slept....efficient Tammy, not)!!

As far as the memory leaks.....I think I'm doing pretty darned good here (I don't have a clue in HE-double hockey sticks how to track that btw)!!! Wink wink!!

On a positive note, I did post my first screenshot today so I'm proud ;-) Tomorrow I might figure out how to put a picture and signature on my profile!! Woot woot!!

TJ, that is all fine, work at the pace you feel comfortable with. An app you can pick up for free would be BatteryMeter, it will allow you to track how you are doing in both your battery and memory discharge rates. Remember you are only a question away from getting an answer or at least being pointed in the correct direction.
    02-20-11 01:35 AM
    Wiping the brow here as I just read a post jaydee made on the official .431 thread about how most of you NEVER upgrade OTA (and here I thought I was Miss Smarty Panty doing that while I slept....efficient Tammy, not)!!

OH TJ...we get smarter as the day wears on! lol
    Don't worry about the OTA. If it worked then you are all set. If it hadn't, we'd a said told ya so and fixed it for ya! We're geeks here lol we do all sorts of stuff you might not want to try at home!!!

The app Jimi was mentioning is BBMeter. It's free and very useful!!
    02-20-11 06:56 AM
    Good morning. Here I am once again on the precipice of another OS upgrade for no other reason but to see what happens. If I don't decide to wait for a bit longer, Il be doing the 443(450-466) hybrid.
    I think Dr. Prince needs to increase my medication..
    02-20-11 07:38 AM
    OH TJ...we get smarter as the day wears on! lol
    Don't worry about the OTA. If it worked then you are all set. If it hadn't, we'd a said told ya so and fixed it for ya! We're geeks here lol we do all sorts of stuff you might not want to try at home!!!

The app Jimi was mentioning is BBMeter. It's free and very useful!!
    Jaydee, truer words have never been spoken I swear if it weren't for you guys here, I'd be lost A big shout out to the smarty, geeky ramblers!

And as far as upgrading the OS...Do you think I should try it? Is it the same process as just using apploader you told me about? With the last one I used DM, and this one won't be on there.

I have BatteryEx back on my phone!! I'm setting both skins on that and BW to default out of curiosity...but I'm sure I'll be playing again very soon
    Can't not. What's a memory leak here and there anyway? I want to have fun!
    02-20-11 08:02 AM
23,186 ... 450451452453454 ...