I've noticed over the last week or so that my daily memoy loss seems to vary between <1 MB and around 10 MB. My memory was stable until I started adding custom themes. I've downloaded only al3azim's OS6 stuff (yes, all of them) and Foppa17. Coincidence? Possibly. I've also been loading and unloading hybrid OSs. With the hybrids, though, I've only been loading and using the stock theme.

I'm tempted to unload all my custom themes for a week or so, for evaluation. Thoughts, JayDee? P1nk? Hamster?
    well, Underway, being that you said your mem leak has increased AFTER you started dwlding custom themes, then what I would say, is if you can tolerate the bu++ fugly OS6 theme for 7 days straight to confirm your hunch of mem loss, then I would say try it out to see if that is the issue.

Now,if you delete the custom themes you have for those 7 days and keep track of your mem and it improves, then you know for sure it the themes causing it, and at that point you can decide if you want to tolerate the mem loss and have your bb looking nice with a custom theme, or stick with the oem 6 theme and have a clean mem track.

If it were me and I suspected the themes, I would delete them, keep track for 7 days or so, and then make a judgement call. thats just MHO.
    02-18-11 05:24 PM
    btw, being i mentioned i'm doing 2 batt pulls a day now, TG for the quick boot up time on OS6!

Jaydee, I think i rem you mentioning before, or i'm just loosing my mind for sure. but i have noticed when i do a batt pull, it seems that as soon as i boot up, my mem starts to drain rather quickly, but then seems to start to teether off a bit slower as it gets to a certain point where it doesnt leak "as fast" but is still leaking. So in theory, doing 2 pulls a day, more helpful or "harmful"?

Opinion on that?
    02-18-11 05:32 PM
    Jaydee, I think i rem you mentioning before, or i'm just loosing my mind for sure. but i have noticed when i do a batt pull, it seems that as soon as i boot up, my mem starts to drain rather quickly, but then seems to start to teether off a bit slower as it gets to a certain point where it doesnt leak "as fast" but is still leaking. So in theory, doing 2 pulls a day, more helpful or "harmful"?
    Pink and Underway,
    I had noticed some change in memory leak after adding custom themes to tell you the truth, but after a few days and switching themes around every day and testing themes and rebooting several times and adding updates etc...I never did get a number on it. Then over the past two days, my memory leak slowed to a crawl for me...only what 27 over a day and a half? That's D-A-M-N fine if I do say so myself!!!!

Do I think custom themes affect the memory? Eh. Maybe yes, because people like Paul who does not use custom themes will tell us he has no memory leak. However, he does not run BatteryEx or custom icon sets for BeWeather either. So I think maybe the answer to Underway's question is ...YES! everything matters but as Pink says, I am not willing to go without any of it. I have decided to use my phone the way I used it under OS5...custom themes, BeWeather, BattEX etc... to make me happy.

When I get really disgusted, I will call VZW and complain about needing a new device.
    02-18-11 05:52 PM
    You guys could just set an auto reboot for say 6, 12 and again @ 6pm. I believe Q/L has this function, not sure as I just do a 3 key salute in the morning. But same diff, and at least then you know when and it's not a BP hassle each time.
    02-18-11 05:54 PM
    I've noticed over the last week or so that my daily memoy loss seems to vary between <1 MB and around 10 MB. My memory was stable until I started adding custom themes. I've downloaded only al3azim's OS6 stuff (yes, all of them) and Foppa17. Coincidence? Possibly. I've also been loading and unloading hybrid OSs. With the hybrids, though, I've only been loading and using the stock theme.

I'm tempted to unload all my custom themes for a week or so, for evaluation. Thoughts, JayDee? P1nk? Hamster?
    You make a good point about the themes...I have all al3's themes for OS6, and I got them very soon after I upgraded so I can't tell if that has affected the memory leaks because I didn't have that crappy stock one for too long.
    But yes - Try it out - you don't have all the battex and bw skins that we girls do so you might be able to be a good test to see how much themes really do have an impact.
    02-18-11 05:57 PM
    You guys could just set an auto reboot for say 6, 12 and again @ 6pm. I believe Q/L has this function, not sure as I just do a 3 key salute in the morning. But same diff, and at least then you know when and it's not a BP hassle each time.
    cbreze..I just got Ql and did set at 7am every morning, but maybe I'll set another time during the day as well - good idea. I can't quite get the 3 key salute for some reason - very uncoordinated, so it's always BP...but this will make it easier.
    02-18-11 06:00 PM
    Pink and Underway,
    I had noticed some change in memory leak after adding custom themes to tell you the truth, but after a few days and switching themes around every day and testing themes and rebooting several times and adding updates etc...I never did get a number on it. Then over the past two days, my memory leak slowed to a crawl for me...only what 27 over a day and a half? That's D-A-M-N fine if I do say so myself!!!!

Do I think custom themes affect the memory? Eh. Maybe yes, because people like Paul who does not use custom themes will tell us he has no memory leak. However, he does not run BatteryEx or custom icon sets for BeWeather either. So I think maybe the answer to Underway's question is ...YES! everything matters but as Pink says, I am not willing to go without any of it. I have decided to use my phone the way I used it under OS5...custom themes, BeWeather, BattEX etc... to make me happy.

When I get really disgusted, I will call VZW and complain about needing a new device.
    Yeah - I've pretty much decided as you Jaydee...I like the way it looks and I don't really want to give up any of it either.
    02-18-11 06:02 PM
    My issue is the browser crashing more often now and I'm not even speed scrolling thru Pink's posts anymore since her font is so nice now. My mem is stable as always. I have a few themes, 1 premium and the rest I made. I may try the new leak or a hybrid to see if it helps my browser at all. I dunno, the rest of it is so fine I hate to mess with it. Ah! I know, I can use Bolt! Not!
    My new theme has a full set of custom icons and my mem is stable so far. I'll be watchin' it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-11 06:05 PM
    Pink and Underway,

I don't have a memory leak issue. I'll lose about 20MB for a whole week.

But I do think a combonation of those things you mention may do it. I use custom themes and BerryWeather with the custom icons. I don't use BattEX so that may be part of the issue.
    02-18-11 06:05 PM
    Pink and Underway,

I'm with ya on this, I'll just deal with it and throw a fit sometimes about itLOL

I honestly would hate having to swap out devices, only because I know the way this one functions and what if the replacement is worse.
    I've been planning to do that thru QL for my scheduled reboots, now I just need to figure out 2 or 3 times of the day that would be most convient for scheduling it.
    Yeah - I've pretty much decided as you Jaydee...I like the way it looks and I don't really want to give up any of it either.
    +1 Hamster. But I'll still whine about it every now and then
    My issue is the browser crashing more often now and I'm not even speed scrolling thru Pink's posts anymore since her font is so nice now. My mem is stable as always. I have a few themes, 1 premium and the rest I made. I may try the new leak or a hybrid to see if it helps my browser at all. I dunno, the rest of it is so fine I hate to mess with it. Ah! I know, I can use Bolt! Not!
    My new theme has a full set of custom icons and my mem is stable so far. I'll be watchin' it.

your browser is still crashing!? that does suck. Even with my nice new color and font
    I don't have a memory leak issue. I'll lose about 20MB for a whole week.

But I do think a combonation of those things you mention may do it. I use custom themes and BerryWeather with the custom icons. I don't use BattEX so that may be part of the issue.
    Thanks for your inputt Midd. I wish my mem leak was only 20MB a WEEK, in fact i'm sure jaydee and Hamster do also!
    02-18-11 06:21 PM
    I'm not looking to permanently dump themes. Quite the contrary. I merely want to know what is causing the leak that I did not have before themes. It's that not knowing part that has me.

I specifically called out JayDee, P1nk, and Hamster because you all have done a LOT of theme collecting, and might have particular insight here.
    02-18-11 06:27 PM
    I'm not looking to permanently dump themes. Quite the contrary. I merely want to know what is causing the leak that I did not have before themes. It's that not knowing part that has me.

I specifically called out JayDee, P1nk, and Hamster because you all have done a LOT of theme collecting, and might have particular insight here.
    I wouldn't quit themes either, but just to confirm your hunch about your mem leak, i would ditch them for a week or so. I understand your curiosity about where/what is causing your mem leak, just like i'm curious as to whats happening with mine, but i'm not willing to delete any of my apps off my phone to find out for sure.
    02-18-11 06:37 PM

Wish I did have some insight for you Underway, but honestly, IDK what it could be - I had the same amount of themes running on 5, and no problems at all. But I also did not have BW or all these BattEx skins either. I really don't think it's the themes to be honest - I believe al3 makes solid releases.
    If you test out the no theme theory for a few days, I'll be willing to try the no skins for awhile to see what it really is.
    02-18-11 06:41 PM
    Wish I did have some insight for you Underway, but honestly, IDK what it could be - I had the same amount of themes running on 5, and no problems at all. But I also did not have BW or all these BattEx skins either. I really don't think it's the themes to be honest - I believe al3 makes solid releases.
    If you test out the no theme theory for a few days, I'll be willing to try the no skins for awhile to see what it really is.
    OK, I deleted BatteryEx and am rebooting now. Even though i have done this drill before, I am willing to try it again. BattEx isn't vital to me...all themes have a battery meter, so I will go without it for a day and see what the memory leak looks like after a while.

I also deleted two themes I downloaded and installed but will never use. I still have my 5 custom Al3azim themes and I added a couple Foppa themes, although I haven't used them.
    02-18-11 07:00 PM
    I have BW skins(approx 30) installed and BattEX skins(approx 160), that are stored on my sd card. NOW, I know the skins on BW will cause the mem leak while USING them. Do any of you think that even if I leave my custom BW skins on my card but use the default skin if my mem leak will slow down or cease?

The reason I'm asking this is because i don't know if jaydee has tried this, and what results you got out of it if you did, or would i just be wasting my time trying.

I have to honestly say, the mem leak is really starting to discourage me. I'm seriously considering going back to OS5 at this point, yea, its buggin me that bad

D'OH!
    Files sitting on your SD card will NOT cause mem leaks. A file has to be in use to be able to cause anything, mem leaks or otherwise. All those files are doing is taking up realestate on your card rent free.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    02-18-11 07:07 PM
    i agree with you as far as Al3's themes go, i've never used a theme before the Rambler's suggest Al to me, and since i've used Al's themes, I haven't used anyone elses because I have the security that his themes are stable.

If you do the BattEx thing, I'll hop in with ya so we can compare notes with each other.
    OK, I deleted BatteryEx and am rebooting now. Even though i have done this drill before, I am willing to try it again. BattEx isn't vital to me...all themes have a battery meter, so I will go without it for a day and see what the memory leak looks like after a while.

I also deleted two themes I downloaded and installed but will never use. I still have my 5 custom Al3azim themes and I added a couple Foppa themes, although I haven't used them.
    I'm interested in hearing what your results will be now that you ditched BattEx.

On the other hand, if you rem me mentioning a while back, when I had BW on another device, it caused a major mem leak. within hours I lost about 12-13mb i think it was, so my theory of BW still having a bad mem leak will always be in the back of my mind.
    02-18-11 07:08 PM
    Fellow ramblers...I finally got QL! Now do any of you have any tips on it?
    YES, use it for eveything.
    02-18-11 07:09 PM
    Files sitting on your SD card will NOT cause mem leaks. A file has to be in use to be able to cause anything, mem leaks or otherwise. All those files are doing is taking up realestate on your card rent free.
    TYVM for this Bob. Its what I thought, but wasn't sure.

But being i change around my wp, BW skin & BattEx skin at least twice a day minimum, that could be another reason why my mem is leaking worse than it was before. Prior to having so many BW/BattEx skins, I changed my wp once every morn and that was it. I think I need to start that habit again and see how my mem leak goes.
    02-18-11 07:12 PM
    TYVM for this Bob. Its what I thought, but wasn't sure.

But being i change around my wp, BW skin & BattEx skin at least twice a day minimum, that could be another reason why my mem is leaking worse than it was before. Prior to having so many BW/BattEx skins, I changed my wp once every morn and that was it. I think I need to start that habit again and see how my mem leak goes.
    Pink, That's what I do right now. I know you asked before about batt pulling several times a day. To tell you the truth, I WOULD do that except I lose control of my Media folder for about an hour after a batt pull. That is, I must have so many pics on my card (over 5000) that it takes that long to index and I am not able to flip through them smoothly looking for a pic or wallie for almost an hour after a BP. That's why I only do it in the am and change the wallpaper the night before.

I think I need to off-load some of my pics. Really.
    02-18-11 07:33 PM
    Pink, That's what I do right now. I know you asked before about batt pulling several times a day. To tell you the truth, I WOULD do that except I lose control of my Media folder for about an hour after a batt pull. That is, I must have so many pics on my card (over 5000) that it takes that long to index and I am not able to flip through them smoothly looking for a pic or wallie for almost an hour afte
    r a BP. That's why I only do it in the am and change the wallpaper the night before.

5000! I do a reboot in the am, but lately have been
    Doing two or more because of the memory issue. I too am guilty of changing wp, skins, etc throughout the day more than Ever! So I think our little experiment will help us come closer to the solution, hopefully
    02-18-11 07:57 PM
    Pink, That's what I do right now. I know you asked before about batt pulling several times a day. To tell you the truth, I WOULD do that except I lose control of my Media folder for about an hour after a batt pull. That is, I must have so many pics on my card (over 5000) that it takes that long to index and I am not able to flip through them smoothly looking for a pic or wallie for almost an hour after a BP. That's why I only do it in the am and change the wallpaper the night before.

wow, its funny you mention that! After a batt pull, my pictures are weird to flip through also! For the life of me, I couldnt figure out why the lagging was going on, but I dont have that many wps. I know my numbers are up there, but you've got ALOT! lol.

take a day and clean out the closet
    02-18-11 07:58 PM
    YES, use it for eveything.
    Got it still figuring it out
    02-18-11 08:18 PM
    Has any of yall got your feet wet on the new leak ?

02-18-11 08:44 PM
    well, Underway, being that you said your mem leak has increased AFTER you started dwlding custom themes, then what I would say, is if you can tolerate the bu++ fugly OS6 theme for 7 days straight to confirm your hunch of mem loss, then I would say try it out to see if that is the issue.

Now,if you delete the custom themes you have for those 7 days and keep track of your mem and it improves, then you know for sure it the themes causing it, and at that point you can decide if you want to tolerate the mem loss and have your bb looking nice with a custom theme, or stick with the oem 6 theme and have a clean mem track.

If it were me and I suspected the themes, I would delete them, keep track for 7 days or so, and then make a judgement call. thats just MHO.
    Theme = Newberry

Uptime = 4d 4h 9m

Mem = -1.9

I gotta believe that it is a HW thing and not the themes or how many skins you have; however, since I don't use the skins I suppose they could be the problem. I'd suggest that you go back to the base versions of BW & Batex without the fancy and see what happens. I currently run BW on 15 minute intervals, although I have batex I a currenlty using MB and I don't suffer from leaks. I did have one for about a day when I first installed Newberry, but a bat pull fixed that problem. FWIW...

Why delete the themes? Just activate the GI issue BB6 theme, files that are just sitting there don't cause memory leaks. It's kind of like your car, it causes no emissions when the engine is not running.
    Last edited by BoDeb; 02-18-11 at 08:47 PM.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    02-18-11 08:45 PM

I'm running Al3azim's themes, been doing so since before he released them. Had a bit of a leak when I first installed Newberry, another bat pull fixed the problem. As you will note in a post above after over 4 days I'm -1.9MB. The two things that are different for me from most of you is that I don't use skins and special icons and I am not using battery ex although I have it on my phone. I disable it after every reboot, will probably ditch it soon. I got it when there was a lot of talk that MB was causing all of the mem leaks but since I didn't ever have a problem I have continued to use MB.

Does Battery Ex give you a mem loss indication or are you getting that information from the system log data? I may activate bat ex just to see if it introduces a mem leak on my device.
    02-18-11 09:01 PM
23,186 ... 445446447448449 ...