I found the folder on my BB and deleted it there. Do I still need to delete from the computer? Sorry..it's early yet
    No just from your device
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    02-11-11 07:48 AM
    I liked that icon set, but not at cost of introducing a memory leak. I am sticking with the default icon set, it doesn't leak.
    i gotcha.

well, mine could be from a few things i think. On OS5, i had the paid vers of BW for about 12hrs before upgrading to OS6. BUT while i was on os5 i only had about 2-3 icon sets for BW, now i have 10. and BatEx, well i'm loaded up there as well. SOOO it could be a combo of paid BW and all the icons i have, or its just OS6 with all of that. idk. whats your opinion of what i lost so far, 20mb over 23hrs. within the norm? i really dont know because i never had this issue is why i'm asking your opinion.
    02-11-11 07:57 AM
    Holy Crap! You may be on to something! i just downloaded a BW set (after my last post) and dropped 7mb!
    Hmmmm. Going to remove it now and see.
    Hamster, what set did you just load that you dropped that quickly?

i'm curous to know, in case its one that i have as well. TY doll!
    02-11-11 07:59 AM
    i gotcha.

whats your opinion of what i lost so far, 20mb over 23hrs. within the norm? i really dont know because i never had this issue is why i'm asking your opinion.
    That to me is a big drop. I know others say that that's how the OS works, it uses memory and releases it after hitting a threshold. I dropped 6 or 7MB in an hour and I deleted the icon set, and poof, back to normal.

I don't use BW for more than just the homescreen icon anyway. I know it's winter and therefore, COLD! I care more about the forecast in the summer so I can plan for golf :-)
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    02-11-11 08:05 AM
    Hamster, what set did you just load that you dropped that quickly?

i'm curous to know, in case its one that i have as well. TY doll!
    It was the PlainlyBetterXL-Caribbean. IDK if it is that one or not. I'm going to delete all mine - I only had 4, but I'm curious now. Now I'm down 12!:eek

Edit: Deleted them all, reboot, and back to normal - ie 252 ish (which is still way down from OS5) which i gather for OS6 is within the norm?
    Last edited by hamsterwheel; 02-11-11 at 08:25 AM.
    02-11-11 08:14 AM
    That to me is a big drop. I know others say that that's how the OS works, it uses memory and releases it after hitting a threshold. I dropped 6 or 7MB in an hour and I deleted the icon set, and poof, back to normal.

I don't use BW for more than just the homescreen icon anyway. I know it's winter and therefore, COLD! I care more about the forecast in the summer so I can plan for golf :-)
    ok thanks. thats what i fig'd, loosing that much is NOT normal. I guess i'll start by removing SOME of my BW icons and go from there. if it works great, if not, they're going back onlol.
    It was the PlainlyBetterXL-Caribbean. IDK if it is that one or not. I'm going to delete all mine - I only had 4, but I'm curious now. Now I'm down 12!
    12! holy crow! do a batt pull after your done deleting if you haven't already, and start your "watching" all over again to see what results you'll get now.

i didn't have that set, but i'm about to play the "your outta here" game with mine and see what happens also.

jaydee, now that Paul has brought this point for the BW icons and mem leak, is this something you've looked into on your device also? idk how many sets you have, but MAYBE its something else you could try out
    02-11-11 08:25 AM
    Interestingly enough re B weather, I noticed my temp readings mainly in the morning are off. They read to low by as much as 15 degrees. Also strangely enough I think it's been this way since I moved to 466. I know that sounds weird. They were always extremely accurate before tho. I have made no BW setting changes and use stock icons.
    02-11-11 08:27 AM
    ok thanks. thats what i fig'd, loosing that much is NOT normal. I guess i'll start by removing SOME of my BW icons and go from there. if it works great, if not, they're going back onlol.

12! holy crow! do a batt pull after your done deleting if you haven't already, and start your "watching" all over again to see what results you'll get now.

i didn't have that set, but i'm about to play the "your outta here" game with mine and see what happens also.

jaydee, now that Paul has brought this point for the BW icons and mem leak, is this something you've looked into on your device also? idk how many sets you have, but MAYBE its something else you could try out
    yeah - did that and memory went back up to normal...will just see what happens today.
    02-11-11 08:28 AM

good luck, post your results!
    02-11-11 08:36 AM
    Interestingly enough re B weather, I noticed my temp readings mainly in the morning are off. They read to low by as much as 15 degrees. Also strangely enough I think it's been this way since I moved to 466. I know that sounds weird. They were always extremely accurate before tho. I have made no BW setting changes and use stock icons.
    luckily enough, my BW temps have been accurate there. with just running stock BW, have you noticed any mem leak at all Jim? (you have paid or free vers?)
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 02-11-11 at 08:44 AM.
    02-11-11 08:41 AM
    yeah - did that and memory went back up to normal...will just see what happens today.
    ok, i just deleted 4 sets, but i had to do a batt pull because now i lost my trackpad function on my screen , BUT if i hit my bb menu key, it works. ugh! frustration is setting in!

plz post with how your mem is doing as well like Paul suggested.
    good luck, post your results!
    trust me i'll be keeping an eye on it
    02-11-11 08:43 AM
    So has anyone else notice any change in the accuracy of their B weather?

Btw. Trying to post this right now I'm getting the same "server busy" error I got on other os versions when I had wifi on. It's a conflict between the 3G signal and the wifi. It loCks the data up. The only solution is to leave wifi off.
    EDIT: others were claiming that some wifi issue had been fixed with 466, I guess this is a diff issue.
    Last edited by cbreze; 02-11-11 at 08:53 AM.
    02-11-11 08:46 AM
    alright, idk wtf is going on, but i just booted back up after deleting a few BW icons, and in 2mins. i've lost 1MB already!

EDIT: ok, according to my files free(opts>device) i'm at 256, according to bb meter i'm at 244 free mem. now, since i've rebooted that 1mb hasnt changed. and i deleted another 3 sets of BW icons BOOOO!
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 02-11-11 at 08:57 AM.
    02-11-11 08:51 AM
    I'm goingto wipe and reload 466 to see if any of my issues clear up. I doubt it, but it's worth a try.
    02-11-11 08:55 AM
    i gotcha.

well, mine could be from a few things i think. On OS5, i had the paid vers of BW for about 12hrs before upgrading to OS6. BUT while i was on os5 i only had about 2-3 icon sets for BW, now i have 10. and BatEx, well i'm loaded up there as well. SOOO it could be a combo of paid BW and all the icons i have, or its just OS6 with all of that. idk. whats your opinion of what i lost so far, 20mb over 23hrs. within the norm? i really dont know because i never had this issue is why i'm asking your opinion.
    OK for all of you experiencing leaks on OS6...BW has a lot to do with it. I have watched various sets make the memory drop faster than others.

That's not to say that OS6 isn't the culprit in my case, but if I add a BW set and a BattEx set and a theme on top of it all and ....before you know it -30MB

So you all have a choice. Like pcgizmo did-delete the custom icon set and he is back to normal. Go back to OS5, back to normal. Delete your themes and use the fugly OS6 one, back to normal. As for me...I have determined that BW and BattEx are bad apps because of the custom sets BUT as Pink described, I am not going to do without them as they give me pleasure when I look at my home screen.

I firmly believe with all my testing of specific apps and now about icons within the apps that those two are the causes of some serious leaks because of the customer-created sets. Then again, if I posted this in the Beweather or Battex thread, they would jump on me and say no way. However, I HAVE seen people post there saying it has happened to them.

And all of us who added a theme to our OS6...for me, a bigger drop isn't much difference than my big drop to begin with. For the rest of you, it is traumatic. Think about what you want from your phone.

AND THEN DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!
    Happy Friday!
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    02-11-11 09:02 AM
    Pink, I have about 150 Battex sets and maybe 60 BW sets on my card. That does not affect the memory leak. What does is choosing to use them on your home screen. and constantly changing them. Your phone doesn't give back the unused files very quickly...in my case...NEVER, until I reboot.
    02-11-11 09:05 AM
    alright, idk wtf is going on, but i just booted back up after deleting a few BW icons, and in 2mins. i've lost 1MB already!

EDIT: ok, according to my files free(opts>device) i'm at 256, according to bb meter i'm at 244 free mem. now, since i've rebooted that 1mb hasnt changed. and i deleted another 3 sets of BW icons BOOOO!
    Whoa! Calm down. That's how my device drops. It will stabilize around some number soon. Usually around 30 or so for me. But try different bw icons and see which work better for you IF THE LEAK BOTHERS YOU. Which it obviously does.
    I find the Faint line is a leaker so I don't use them. Just pull the batt and watch BBMeter. Or if you get really disgusted, uninstall BBMeter like I did once and say F-it. What I don't know (or can't see) can't bother me.

HAHA. I know it's no laughing matter but...WELCOME TO MY WORLD
    02-11-11 09:11 AM
    Pink, I have about 150 Battex sets and maybe 60 BW sets on my card. That does not affect the memory leak. What does is choosing to use them on your home screen. and constantly changing them. Your phone doesn't give back the unused files very quickly...in my case...NEVER, until I reboot.
    and i thought i was bad with my BatEx collection at 33 right now. lol. Well, I just downsided my BW icons to the default one plus 3 custom. I'll stay with that and go from there and see what happens. i'm guilty of changing my wp, BatEx icon & BW sets daily to match. ocd thing lol. maybe what i will have to consider is a daily scheduled reboot with QL to keep my ocd about the mem down to a "non-anxiety" level.
    Whoa! Calm down. That's how my device drops. It will stabilize around some number soon. Usually around 30 or so for me. But try different bw icons and see which work better for you IF THE LEAK BOTHERS YOU. Which it obviously does.
    I find the Faint line is a leaker so I don't use them. Just pull the batt and watch BBMeter. Or if you get really disgusted, uninstall BBMeter like I did once and say F-it. What I don't know (or can't see) can't bother me.

HAHA. I know it's no laughing matter but...WELCOME TO MY WORLD
    i dont use any 'faint' line ones, but ty for the warning on that. As for BB Meter, i'm just about to that point of saying A BIG F IT and deleting it. I've always just keep eye on my opt>device>files free that way and was content enough doing that. maybe i NEED to go back to that simplicity so i dont stress myself out about this. I LOVE os6 and WILL NOT! ya hear that guys! WILL NOT revert back to OS5! (and to think, you guys had to drag me to it alsolmao!)

ok, so, now i have a better perspective of what "jaydees day in the life of mem leaks" is like. LMAO! (i know as well, its no laughing matter) BUT i will also do what i need to make myself happy and keep my bb blingin with swagga!
    02-11-11 09:19 AM
    ok, so, now i have a better perspective of what "jaydees day in the life of mem leaks" is like. LMAO! (i know as well, its no laughing matter) BUT i will also do what i need to make myself happy and keep my bb blingin with swagga!
    Actually, if I remember correctly from yesterday, I was the one who told Paul to keep an eye on his memory when he told me he used a custom BW set. So in answer to your question Pink...YES! I have considered EVERYTHING (or so it seems) in my quest to cure my memory ailments.

Funny thing is, when I called VZW and spoke to a CSrep about it, they did not care which apps I had running. They believed there should be no memory leak no matter what apps you run. In fact, they say USE YOUR PHONE.

Yup, yup. That's what I'm doing.
    I still say its OS6 or OhSicks...
    02-11-11 09:25 AM
    I'm booting up to a clean 466, cant wait to see what bugs await me now.
    02-11-11 09:28 AM
    i just cheked and in a 12 hour period i had about half a megabyte loss (0.59). Is that good, bad, or acceptable?
    02-11-11 09:45 AM
    I'm booting up to a clean 466, cant wait to see what bugs await me now.
    I'm thinking of going back to the hybrid 6.1/431/448/450. It was the best running os I've tried yet. For whatever reason the 466 seems to not be as smooth at times. Even tho it started out really smooth and I've added nothing new. I use my own homemade themes, but did so with the above hybrid as well. So I dunno. Maybe I'll go chill on 5 for awhile. HA! I would however like to try that theme builder and see what I might be able to do with it. Don't think I'd be satisfied there in 5ville for very long.
    02-11-11 09:49 AM
    i just cheked and in a 12 hour period i had about half a megabyte loss (0.59). Is that good, bad, or acceptable?
    Tats very good and usually about what I get.
    02-11-11 09:51 AM
    I'm thinking of going back to the hybrid 6.1/431/448/450. It was the best running os I've tried yet. For whatever reason the 466 seems to not be as smooth at times. Even tho it started out really smooth and I've added nothing new. I use my own homemade themes, but did so with the above hybrid as well. So I dunno. Maybe I'll go chill on 5 for awhile. HA! I would however like to try that theme builder and see what I might be able to do with it. Don't think I'd be satisfied there in 5ville for very long.
    5ville is CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS!
    Stay Away!!!
    HAHA Jim, seriously, I figured you'd be going back to your favorite hybrid. I would if I were you!!! Whatever works!!!
    02-11-11 09:55 AM
    Just checked my Bweather again. It's reading 12 degrees lower than the actual temp. It's always been accurate within a degree or two. Remeber the issues a few days ago everyone was having with Bweather updates failing?
    I think I may have started having this issue then as it has been going on for a few days.
    I'm going back to hybridland.
    02-11-11 10:34 AM
23,186 ... 429430431432433 ...