Haha yea sorry vad is voice activated dialing. When u open the shrinker don't remove voice activated dialing. Also, berryweather berrybuzz and quicklaunch all have options to backup the settings within the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ok, I found the back up setting for BeWeather and BerryBuzz & stored those I didn't know some apps do that, then again, I never had this many apps on my bb lol. I know bbm has the backup/remote email feature.
    My card only has 4.5gb left(its an 8gig) I think I need a 16gb, or even a 32gb.
    Ok, so jaydee, then don't worry about the VAD files? Well, I'm not doing this thing tonight so I won't go crazy about it now

01-23-11 04:07 PM
    What a frustrating day for me. 431 is driving me nuts. Appworld wont connect to give me my apps (well, the few I have there). Browser wont remember passwords. Soooo, I'll be heading back to the Sprint 415 official. No leak. No Hybrid. Until the next one
    sorry to hear your having trouble with 431 sky. Get back home on 415 again & the wrinkles will be ironed out for you

01-23-11 04:09 PM
    What a frustrating day for me. 431 is driving me nuts. Appworld wont connect to give me my apps (well, the few I have there). Browser wont remember passwords. Soooo, I'll be heading back to the Sprint 415 official. No leak. No Hybrid. Until the next one
    I won't use App World. Once upon a time, I did. Then I backed up the cods with BBSAK. Now, when I upgrade my OS, I install the cods for the apps from my flash drive with BBSAK instead of App World. Anything else I want to buy, I go elsewhere...never App World. Always shrink the damn thing outta my install too.

Browser? Since I discovered Bolt, I don't use anything BUT...

Sorry it's not working!!!
    01-23-11 04:19 PM
    You're correct in that the three finger salute is essentially the same as a battery pull, and for most purposes, will accomplish the same thing. However, a battery pull for at least 3 minutes will allow the components to completely discharge, thereby rendering the volatile memory truly clean.

You can equate the three-finger reset to the CTRL-ALT-DEL or a warm start on your PC, and the battery pull to a power-on reset (hitting the PWR button on your PC) or a cold start.
    You are exactly correct.
    01-23-11 04:47 PM
    My card only has 4.5gb left(its an 8gig) I think I need a 16gb, or even a 32gb.
    Nah. 8GB is just fine, if you do not keep your entire music and/or video collection in your phone. I occasionally archive my photos to my PC, so I don't have much on my card, typically just 4-5mb. That also keeps the indexing time down at reboot.
    01-23-11 04:52 PM
    Ok since we are getting close (?) to a VZW release...what do you guys think I should do about my "problem"?

Wait for an official release, install with just native apps and keep track of the memory? Then call if it is still leaking? Of course, you can tell me what I should do at that time, cause I know I'll be posting!!!!!
    Well since it didn't happen with os-5 then you can't go back to that "official" and complain right now. I'd load up what ever I wanted as far as apps(don't deprive yourself)and just do a 3 finger reset whenever need be. Screw the bat pull as your just going for the refresh anyway. Or set it for auto reboot, whatever Then when the verizon official is released and you get that on, see leaks, then call and pitch a b!tch. Thats what I'd most likely do.
    Yep, for now, business as usual! Including massive leaks!

When the official drops, I would load the official and nothing else. Let it go for at least a few hours, you have been able to tell within a couple of hours how a new OS will perform leak wise so it won't take very long. Presuming that the sive is in full operation, I would leave it for a day if you can stand it. This would give you ample amunition with which to call vzw and then it is "Ready, Fire, Aim!" letting them have it with both barrels.

If you load 3rd party stuff then they are going to tell you that the 3rd party apps are causing the leak and will want you to go through some mega PITA process to isolate the rogue app. By having a clean device with nothing but their SW, they can't point fingers at anything else other than their own SW. They should then give you a replacment device.

A word of advice, if they ask you to take a survey following the call, tell them yes. I did this when I first called about my new Baby Bold back in June and the massive battery drain problem I was told there was nothing they could do to help. When they contacted me for the survey, I lowered the boom on them, especially the CSR that I spoke to about how he seemed to only be able to read a script back to me as everytime I made a point he responded word for word with the same answer. I got a call from a supervisor the next day and the following day I had an NIB device in hand.
    01-23-11 04:59 PM
    Nah. 8GB is just fine, if you do not keep your entire music and/or video collection in your phone. I occasionally archive my photos to my PC, so I don't have much on my card, typically just 4-5mb. That also keeps the indexing time down at reboot.
    Oh boy, Underway is correct!
    I have a 16GB card and I had it up to like 13 or 14 full. Then it was taking forever to index so I archived about half of it off to my PC and now carry about 6-7GB. Which kinda makes me mad because I paid for a big card but.....
    01-23-11 05:00 PM

When the official drops, I would load the official and nothing else. Let it go for at least a few hours, you have been able to tell within a couple of hours how a new OS will perform leak wise so it won't take very long. Presuming that the sive is in full operation, I would leave it for a day if you can stand it. This would give you ample amunition with which to call vzw and then it is "Ready, Fire, Aim!" letting them have it with both barrels.

If you load 3rd party stuff then they are going to tell you that the 3rd party apps are causing the leak and will want you to go through some mega PITA process to isolate the rogue app. By having a clean device with nothing but their SW, they can't point fingers at anything else other than their own SW. They should then give you a replacment device.

A word of advice, if they ask you to take a survey following the call, tell them yes. I did this when I first called about my new Baby Bold back in June and the massive battery drain problem I was told there was nothing they could do to help. When they contacted me for the survey, I lowered the boom on them, especially the CSR that I spoke to about how he seemed to only be able to read a script back to me as everytime I made a point he responded word for word with the same answer. I got a call from a supervisor the next day and the following day I had an NIB device in hand.
    In my experience, as long as I can tell the tech folks exactly what I've done when they tell me to try something, they assume that I know more than they do (that may sometimes be true! ) and they proceed to equipment replacement.

+1 on the survey too. When they give you the opportunity to explain your marks, be honest yet not condescending. In my forever that I've been with BigRed, I've had only one bad experience, and it didn't last long past the supervisor's call the next morning.
    01-23-11 05:11 PM
    Either old age, a non-cooperative PC or a bad download are getting to me or something, I'm not sure.

I installed a clean .415 and just to be sure I copied the "Research In Motion" folder to another folder so I could compare files after the .431 install. Did the .431 install and nothing, I repeat nothing happened. I compared the Java file size in both and the .sfi file names and sizes, complete duplicates.

Now I have tried to download the .431 again and I can't save it to disk for some reason. I'm off to do a bat pull on my PC. Opps, restart.
    01-23-11 05:15 PM

In my experience, as long as I can tell the tech folks exactly what I've done when they tell me to try something, they assume that I know more than they do (that may sometimes be true! ) and they proceed to equipment replacement.

+1 on the survey too. When they give you the opportunity to explain your marks, be honest yet not condescending. In my forever that I've been with BigRed, I've had only one bad experience, and it didn't last long past the supervisor's call the next morning.
    Thank you both for your words of wisdom, and Jim before you!
    I'd be lost without you guys taking care of me!
    Everything that you have said makes mega sense and I will be following this course of action I am sure, when the time comes. I realize I am just renting this handset, as surely a newer one will be coming my way eventually. lol Just wish we could find out the cause...
    01-23-11 05:16 PM
    Everything that you have said makes mega sense and I will be following this course of action I am sure, when the time comes. I realize I am just renting this handset, as surely a newer one will be coming my way eventually. lol Just wish we could find out the cause...
    Yea, me to. If for no other reason than to satisfy my technogeek curiousity!
    01-23-11 05:26 PM
    JayDee, Check this out: http://crackberry.com/updated-theme-...l-os-6-devices

Or maybe you have already seen it, I just didn't hear the screams of histerical pleasure so I thought I'd mention it.
    01-23-11 06:01 PM
    No RR, that's not true anymore.
    Side keys work fine in both 415 and 431 after shrinking out VAD.
    I do it all the time!!!
    really? i read in the fixing and findings thread that some peoples side keys were not working because of this on .431?
    i dont know because i always leave VAD just to be safe.
    01-23-11 06:29 PM
    Oh boy, Underway is correct!
    I have a 16GB card and I had it up to like 13 or 14 full. Then it was taking forever to index so I archived about half of it off to my PC and now carry about 6-7GB. Which kinda makes me mad because I paid for a big card but.....
    ok, I will take the advice from both of you and stay w/the 8gig. I currently have 435 songs & the rest are pic's taking up the room on my card. I loooooove my wp's
    So, on another note. I was looking for the app keys & I don't know where the heck to find them is it the same thing as the "activation codes?" If so, then I have those sorry to be asking such a noob question, but like I've said, I've never had apps on my previous bb before to know about this stuff

01-23-11 06:59 PM
    jaydee, they gave you great advice!
    Just like you all have done for me

01-23-11 07:02 PM
    really? i read in the fixing and findings thread that some peoples side keys were not working because of this on .431?
    i dont know because i always leave VAD just to be safe.
    Well I know it hasn't been a problem since 333 for me. It works great. But I know of one person who posted saying he did not shrink anything but his keys are not working. SO it led me to believe that has nothing to do with it.

But no, I ALWAYS shrink it out and mine works fine.
    01-23-11 07:06 PM
    JayDee, Check this out: Updated theme builder coming by the end of January - Includes support for all OS 6 devices | CrackBerry.com

Or maybe you have already seen it, I just didn't hear the screams of histerical pleasure so I thought I'd mention it.
    Bob, I DID know that!!! Thanks again for reminding me tho because I am going to start looking for it. And a day after it comes out I am writing to Al3azim and demanding my theme!!!!!! LMAO!!!

I already put him on alert!
    01-23-11 07:08 PM
    pink if and when you decide to install os6 and if you decide to shrink stuff, make sure you dont remove the VAD files as they are tied to the side keys in os6. If you remove these files the sidekeys on your bold will not work.
    RR, I always remove the VAD files when I shrink an OS and never had a problem with the side keys. I just did it again today with .431.
    01-23-11 07:46 PM
    Bob, I DID know that!!! Thanks again for reminding me tho because I am going to start looking for it. And a day after it comes out I am writing to Al3azim and demanding my theme!!!!!! LMAO!!!

I already put him on alert!
    Poor guy, I feel for him!

However, I'll be right there with you!
    01-23-11 07:54 PM
    I hope Newberry is his first one. Cause if it is I will finally switch to OS6
    01-23-11 07:59 PM
    OK, now I am really puzzled. I finally got the .431 to work and after it completed its install it brought up BBH tools which I closed because I wanted to use BB Boss. Anyway, I ran BB Boss and checked a ton of stuff to be removed from appworld to vad and everything in between. Ran the shrinker and it said that it shrunk out 0MB. Sooo, I then ran BBH tools and guess what, after checking all the same stuff it said that shrunk out 0MB.

What the h e double hockey sticks is going on? I checked and it was pointing at the right folder, I'm confused. This is just not right to confuse a citizen as senior as I am, we confuse very easily.

Any ideas? Both said that I had 143MB in my Java folder. I think I am going to go ahead and install this upgrade, just scratching my head over this one.
    01-23-11 08:01 PM
    Just in case you do decide to do it, let me offer some advice on what you should do before you begin the process:
    [LIST][*]Be sure to backup your settings in any apps that you have like BerryWeather, QuickLaunch, MetterBerry, etc. These will be backed up to your SD card and you can retore them following the OS install and have those apps back to exactly like they were pre OS install.
    Does Meterberry have a backup option? I can't find it but maybe I have an older version?
    01-23-11 10:19 PM
    Does Meterberry have a backup option? I can't find it but maybe I have an older version?
    Nah, that was an oops! 100 lashes w/wet noodle.
    01-23-11 10:21 PM
    Nah, that was an oops! 100 lashes w/wet noodle.
    I can bring a real bull whip to the party and save the noodles for a good sauce.

Thanks for the fast correction. I think apps that have lots of settings absolutely need backup/restore options. Altho, unlike SOME WHO WILL NOT BE NAMED, I don't do OS changes as frequently as I once did. I guess adventurousness is falling by the wayside in place of some short term stability.
    01-23-11 10:27 PM
    I can bring a real bull whip to the party and save the noodles for a good sauce.

Thanks for the fast correction. I think apps that have lots of settings absolutely need backup/restore options. Altho, unlike SOME WHO WILL NOT BE NAMED, I don't do OS changes as frequently as I once did. I guess adventurousness is falling by the wayside in place of some short term stability.
    Be careful now, I resemble that remark!
    01-24-11 05:55 AM
23,186 ... 365366367368369 ...