Bingo! I think thats alot of the issue. The majority of folks think the webkit is just awesome. Isn't an extraction just locating and moving some cods? I know nothing about it, so this is just me speculating, but there are some really smart hybrid builders out there.
    Yeah, come to think of it...why HASN'T someone done this?
    Maybe the OS5 cods for the browser won't work...are their some system cods that HAVE to be the same as the radio file? or whatever?
    I dunno now. I'm drinking sangria for the game! LOL
    01-23-11 12:11 PM
    Well, JayDee? It's been what, an hour, hour and a half on this OS? How's the memory loss?
    01-23-11 12:16 PM
    Well, JayDee? It's been what, an hour, hour and a half on this OS? How's the memory loss?
    2 hours, 8 mins
    down 15MB
    About typical.
    01-23-11 12:19 PM
    If you installed QuickLaunch it has in it a choice to add the option "Reboot Device" as a selection. Which will do the same without having to try to twist your fingers to hit the keys. A nice little extra as part of the app.
    QL will prob be my next app to load up & I did know about the reset function it has avail within it
    I didn't get a chance to read over the functions of QL overall because there are so many, it does seem overwhelming to me. So I'll read it as many times as I need to till I understand it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 12:22 PM
    2 hours, 8 mins
    down 15MB
    About typical.
    Wow. Got Big Red on speed dial for when they finally release OS6?
    01-23-11 12:24 PM
    2 hours, 8 mins
    down 15MB
    About typical.
    There has got to be something between you and OS6 . I have been working with the new leak for just over an hour and I am showing a loss of 0.1 in memory. Or it has to be some app you are running.
    01-23-11 12:29 PM
    There has got to be something between you and OS6 . I have been working with the new leak for just over an hour and I am showing a loss of 0.1 in memory. Or it has to be some app you are running.
    Friendly suggestion here -- go back and review this thread from early December. You don't want to open that can of worms.
    01-23-11 12:33 PM
    Wow. Got Big Red on speed dial for when they finally release OS6?
    Yes, I have two advanced tech lines in my contacts list.
    And yes, it could be an app, but I have tried eliminating most of them and I don't know which it is. So...I just use them all and let it leak.
    Tired of running my phone without apps. And if I listed all my apps and you compared that list, we would have many the same. So obviously, the apps act differently with my phone as opposed to someone else's
    01-23-11 12:35 PM
    ok, that's what I was thinking-if it ain't broke, don't fix it! . Thanks again.

I rarely do batt pulls UNLESS I really have to, or if something has a lil hiccup.

Actually, bat pulls are good for the overall health of your device. It's not necessary to do bat pulls after installing most apps; however, there are a few that want you to do it. Thus, it is a good idea to go ahead and do one just for good measure. Bat pulls don't take but 2 or 3 minutes so why not just do it.

Oh waite, I just remembered, you are on OS5 with the 5 to 15 minutes reboots...
    01-23-11 12:40 PM
    I routinely do three battery pulls after an install.
    And I do one every day or two, depending on the amount of memory I have lost.

I think the 3 pulls after an install might be excessive but I think they help it to settle down a bit faster.
    I beleive that when you install an app a bat pull is just a good practice, as was mentioned, it cleans up the device and refreshes everything. Not always a necessity, just a "Best Practice" type of thing.

Doing multiple bat pulls following the install of an OS is right next to a requirement. You have to recognize that when an OS is installed one of the first things that loader does is to wipe the device, it then begins the load process by copying files to the device. At some point in the process, there are temporary files that are created to hold stuff as the install progresses and once the install is complete these temporary files are deleted.

Now, here is the important part, when the wipe occurs and the temporary files are deleted part of what happens is the the devices memory is left kind of messy and in need of a little cleanup and re-organization. A bat pull does that and in the process re-initiallizes stuff so that you end up with fresh device. By doing multiple bat pulls it seems that everything gets settled down and ready to perform their assigned tasks much more quickly, not sure exactly why this happens but it does.

+1 for the 3 finger reset. A battery pull is a last resort option for me. Done maybe 3 since June '10
    I believe the 3 finger salute does essentially the same thing as a bat pull and serves the same purpose. I like to do bat pulls because then the device is fully off and everything starts anew. Just me, but that's how I like to do it.
    01-23-11 12:57 PM
    QL will prob be my next app to load up & I did know about the reset function it has avail within it
    I didn't get a chance to read over the functions of QL overall because there are so many, it does seem overwhelming to me. So I'll read it as many times as I need to till I understand it

Hey P1nk,

I had the same feeling about QL when I first was reading about it.....overwhelming. But I took the plunge and purchased it and had not regretted doing so. All I did was "play around" with it and then QL started to make sense to me. Love it!! Now....I would be lost without it!!
    01-23-11 12:59 PM
    ok I believe I understand this. IF at any point I finally decide to go with 431 leak, I will most likely be checking in with you guys here before I do something to be sure I know what I'm doing. I've got a pretty good idea, but having an idea & actually doing it can be very different sometimes.
    Just in case you do decide to do it, let me offer some advice on what you should do before you begin the process:
    • Be sure to backup your settings in any apps that you have like BerryWeather, QuickLaunch, MetterBerry, etc. These will be backed up to your SD card and you can retore them following the OS install and have those apps back to exactly like they were pre OS install.
    • Backup your data with DM, this way you will be sure that you can restore the data following the OS install.
    • Backup your 3rd party apps with something like BBSAK or similar tool. You never know when an install with go arye and you will need that backup. I have been very grateful on occasion that I had it!
    • Make a list of all of the app keys for your apps so that you can re-enter them quickly and easily. I have the file on both my PC and my device.
    Just a few simple things that will make your OS upgrade experience a more pleasant one. I imagine that someone else will mention these things but just wanted to let you know so that if you don't have a good backup tool for example, you can get it ahead of time and check it out.
    Mojave likes this.
    01-23-11 01:07 PM
    Hey P1nk,

I had the same feeling about QL when I first was reading about it.....overwhelming. But I took the plunge and purchased it and had not regretted doing so. All I did was "play around" with it and then QL started to make sense to me. Love it!! Now....I would be lost without it!!
    Yes, absolutely. QL is a must have when using a berry. It allows one to use the phone without practically any icons to clutter up your screen and allows quick access to any type of file you want. On my QL menu, I have a shortcut to a favorite picture, a song I like to hear everyday, and other handy items, like App switcher, so I can be doing whatever on my phone, hit the side key which open QL menu and then choose the home screen, BBM, Phone, etc in one motion. Setting it up can be a bit scary but it's worth it, believe me.
    01-23-11 01:10 PM
    I beleive that when you install an app a bat pull is just a good practice, as was mentioned, it cleans up the device and refreshes everything. Not always a necessity, just a "Best Practice" type of thing.

Doing multiple bat pulls following the install of an OS is right next to a requirement. You have to recognize that when an OS is installed one of the first things that loader does is to wipe the device, it then begins the load process by copying files to the device. At some point in the process, there are temporary files that are created to hold stuff as the install progresses and once the install is complete these temporary files are deleted.

Now, here is the important part, when the wipe occurs and the temporary files are deleted part of what happens is the the devices memory is left kind of messy and in need of a little cleanup and re-organization. A bat pull does that and in the process re-initiallizes stuff so that you end up with fresh device. By doing multiple bat pulls it seems that everything gets settled down and ready to perform their assigned tasks much more quickly, not sure exactly why this happens but it does.

I believe the 3 finger salute does essentially the same thing as a bat pull and serves the same purpose. I like to do bat pulls because then the device is fully off and everything starts anew. Just me, but that's how I like to do it.
    You're correct in that the three finger salute is essentially the same as a battery pull, and for most purposes, will accomplish the same thing. However, a battery pull for at least 3 minutes will allow the components to completely discharge, thereby rendering the volatile memory truly clean.

You can equate the three-finger reset to the CTRL-ALT-DEL or a warm start on your PC, and the battery pull to a power-on reset (hitting the PWR button on your PC) or a cold start.
    Last edited by Underway99; 01-23-11 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling (again)
    01-23-11 01:28 PM
    Ok since we are getting close (?) to a VZW release...what do you guys think I should do about my "problem"?

Wait for an official release, install with just native apps and keep track of the memory? Then call if it is still leaking? Of course, you can tell me what I should do at that time, cause I know I'll be posting!!!!!
    01-23-11 01:48 PM
    Ok since we are getting close (?) to a VZW release...what do you guys think I should do about my "problem"?

Wait for an official release, install with just native apps and keep track of the memory? Then call if it is still leaking? Of course, you can tell me what I should do at that time, cause I know I'll be posting!!!!!
    Well since it didn't happen with os-5 then you can't go back to that "official" and complain right now. I'd load up what ever I wanted as far as apps(don't deprive yourself)and just do a 3 finger reset whenever need be. Screw the bat pull as your just going for the refresh anyway. Or set it for auto reboot, whatever Then when the verizon official is released and you get that on, see leaks, then call and pitch a b!tch. Thats what I'd most likely do.
    01-23-11 01:54 PM

Use it as you normally would and just watch. I would suggest that you make a complaint to the tech folks about a memory issue with your current replacement phone on OS5, possibly mentioning that you are hoping that OS6 will be the fix. They might even send you a replacement now. Then, after OS6 is released, when the problem is still there or if you still have the issue with the second replacement phone, you can call them and have a recent history for this problem. It could smooth the road for the future.
    01-23-11 02:03 PM
    Actually, bat pulls are good for the overall health of your device. It's not necessary to do bat pulls after installing most apps; however, there are a few that want you to do it. Thus, it is a good idea to go ahead and do one just for good measure. Bat pulls don't take but 2 or 3 minutes so why not just do it.

Oh waite, I just remembered, you are on OS5 with the 5 to 15 minutes reboots...
    yes Bob, there were a couple I dwld that I did a batt pull afterwards but I usually don't. I will get in the habit of maybe a once a week just for 'routine' & then do one aft every new app install
    Yes I'm on OS5 but my Bold boots up in about 3-4mins tops so it won't bother me........now my kids S2 on the other hand takes her 10 min+ glad its not mine anymore! The touch screen on that buster just drove me to drink!!! The kids loves it though-to each his own!

01-23-11 02:50 PM
    Hey P1nk,

Thanks again Mojave it will be the next app I purchase sometime this week. I like to leave 2-3 days inbetween just in case something I dwld decides to 'misbehaves'

01-23-11 02:52 PM
    pink if and when you decide to install os6 and if you decide to shrink stuff, make sure you dont remove the VAD files as they are tied to the side keys in os6. If you remove these files the sidekeys on your bold will not work.
    01-23-11 03:15 PM
    Just in case you do decide to do it, let me offer some advice on what you should do before you begin the process:
    • Be sure to backup your settings in any apps that you have like BerryWeather, QuickLaunch, MetterBerry, etc. These will be backed up to your SD card and you can retore them following the OS install and have those apps back to exactly like they were pre OS install.
    • Backup your data with DM, this way you will be sure that you can restore the data following the OS install.
    • Backup your 3rd party apps with something like BBSAK or similar tool. You never know when an install with go arye and you will need that backup. I have been very grateful on occasion that I had it!
    • Make a list of all of the app keys for your apps so that you can re-enter them quickly and easily. I have the file on both my PC and my device.
    Just a few simple things that will make your OS upgrade experience a more pleasant one. I imagine that someone else will mention these things but just wanted to let you know so that if you don't have a good backup tool for example, you can get it ahead of time and check it out.
    thanks for this Bob, Here is my usual routine:
    1) I usually do a dm backup every 2wks.
    2) Every since I started loading apps up, I usually do a Bbsak back up that day or the day after, basically w/in 2days of getting a new app I'm backing up.
    3) Now,the back up settings to the SdCardoption - this I've never done I didn't know you could do this or how to.
    4) As for my app keys, I've saved the emails that confirmed my Mobi purchases, but BB App World does not give confirmation, so I will work on getting this done for all of them.
    These are my apps as of today:
    AutoResize 1.0
    BeWeather 2.2.1
    BerryBuzz 3.2.18
    Blackberry App World 1.1.0.35
    Bolt 2.31
    CaptureIt 1.4
    Fancy Characters 4.1.5
    FontCollection 2.0
    HandyLogs Sugar/Glucose/Insulin/A1C App 2.1
    MobiHand Superstore 2.02.355
    Mobile Recovery 1.1.0
    My Verizon 6.0.0
    Poynt 1.6.0.71
    SmileyFaces Pack 4.47.72
    ZonaSnap 1.1.0.8

I think in BeWeather I saw something in the menu key when I brought it up to edit my options about backing up the settings. I'll check now
    Damn, I've had a berry for 2+yrs prior to getting my Bold & I honestly didn't have much time to do as much as I'm doing now, but wow, I'm learning so much more to boot! I can't thank you guys enough

01-23-11 03:23 PM
    pink if and when you decide to install os6 and if you decide to shrink stuff, make sure you dont remove the VAD files as they are tied to the side keys in os6. If you remove these files the sidekeys on your bold will not work.
    thanks rr, but you do realize your talking Greek to me, right? LOL I'll keep it in mind though

01-23-11 03:24 PM
    Haha yea sorry vad is voice activated dialing. When u open the shrinker don't remove voice activated dialing. Also, berryweather berrybuzz and quicklaunch all have options to backup the settings within the app.
    thanks rr, but you do realize your talking Greek to me, right? LOL I'll keep it in mind though

01-23-11 03:40 PM
    No RR, that's not true anymore.
    Side keys work fine in both 415 and 431 after shrinking out VAD.
    I do it all the time!!!
    01-23-11 03:42 PM
    What a frustrating day for me. 431 is driving me nuts. Appworld wont connect to give me my apps (well, the few I have there). Browser wont remember passwords. Soooo, I'll be heading back to the Sprint 415 official. No leak. No Hybrid. Until the next one
    01-23-11 03:56 PM
23,186 ... 364365366367368 ...