ok, this is confusing to me. If you have more than one OS dwld'd to your computer, doesn't that confuse the compt when you need to load an OS to your ph and it will not load anything?? or have I misunderstood something here. Which is very possible considering I've never done this before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Nope. The leaked installer replaces every file in the OS folder. You only need to install 415 to write registry values to the PC so apploader knows there is an OS to install to the BB.
    Sometimes the leakers cant get the installer exe, but they can copy the install directory. When that happens, this is the only way to get the OS onto another BB.
    01-23-11 10:16 AM
    I have not had any difficulty there, but I have read the same thing; that you want to have just one OS installed in the PC.

In this case, especially, I would not expect a problem, since the 431 supposedly overwrites all the 415 files, thereby leaving just one OS on your computer. It just needs the existing folders and registry structure to be in place since the installer will not write them directly like in a complete release.
    Yup, that is exactly it, Underway. RiseAgainstOdds who leaked this I believe is tweeting to remind everyone that this is a complete OS not a hybrid.
    So Pink, you need to install 415 but then this leak overwrites it all.
    So far, it seems smoother, more responsive and faster to boot. Also starts with more memory.

Browser Sorry Jim.
    Bolt it is for me.
    01-23-11 10:18 AM
    ok, that's what I was thinking-if it ain't broke, don't fix it! . Thanks again.

I rarely do batt pulls UNLESS I really have to, or if something has a lil hiccup.

I lean the other way, P1nk. I pull the battery or do a three-finger reset after EVERY install. While ensuring that the new software loads completely and cleanly, this also clears out any traces of the installer or other temporary files that may have been left behind -- no memory loss/drain from the installer. I'd like to think that I have avoided some issues by doing this every time.
    01-23-11 10:23 AM
    Yup, that is exactly it, Underway. RiseAgainstOdds who leaked this I believe is tweeting to remind everyone that this is a complete OS not a hybrid.
    So Pink, you need to install 415 but then this leak overwrites it all.
    So far, it seems smoother, more responsive and faster to boot. Also starts with more memory.

Browser Sorry Jim.
    Bolt it is for me.
    Oh, good. More memory to lose...

Has the memory countdown started yet?
    01-23-11 10:25 AM
    I lean the other way, P1nk. I pull the battery or do a three-finger reset after EVERY install. While ensuring that the new software loads completely and cleanly, this also clears out any traces of the installer or other temporary files that may have been left behind -- no memory loss/drain from the installer. I'd like to think that I have avoided some issues by doing this every time.
    I routinely do three battery pulls after an install.
    And I do one every day or two, depending on the amount of memory I have lost.

I think the 3 pulls after an install might be excessive but I think they help it to settle down a bit faster.
    01-23-11 10:27 AM
    +1 for the 3 finger reset. A battery pull is a last resort option for me. Done maybe 3 since June '10
    01-23-11 10:28 AM
    Does a battery pull make column view work?
    01-23-11 10:29 AM

I think the 3 pulls after an install might be excessive but I think they help it to settle down a bit faster.
    Maybe I misunderstood P1nk's battery pull question. I thought she was referring to a BP after installing an app. I do that every time (BP or reset). After an OS load, at least three BP (not the three-finger reset) to settle the OS. I typically do another one after about a day. Then, I can start evaluating how it works.
    Last edited by Underway99; 01-23-11 at 10:39 AM.
    01-23-11 10:30 AM
    Does a battery pull make column view work?
    Depends. You climb up onto a beer can with your left foot while you're holding your Bold in your right hand and a gin bottle in the left. If you can even accomplish a BP in that condition, you can certainly make column view work!
    01-23-11 10:33 AM
    Depends. You climb up onto a beer can with your left foot while you're holding your Bold in your right hand and a gin bottle in the left. If you can even accomplish a BP in that condition, you can certainly make column view work!
    Hey! I'm gonna try that!!!!!
    01-23-11 10:36 AM
    ok thanks. then maybe this is a habit i should get into after installing a 3rd party app.

your speaking of an OS install here correct? I was curious about batt pulls after 3rd party app installs.
    +1 for the 3 finger reset. A battery pull is a last resort option for me. Done maybe 3 since June '10
    me too for the 3 finger. Its alot easier than removing the bling, taking off the back, pull the battery, put battery back in, put back cover back on, put bling back on....well you get the idea
    01-23-11 11:02 AM
    Maybe I misunderstood P1nk's battery pull question. I thought she was referring to a BP after installing an app. I do that every time (BP or reset). After an OS load, at least three BP (not the three-finger reset) to settle the OS. I typically do another one after about a day. Then, I can start evaluating how it works.
    yes i was talking about bp's after a 3rd party app install
    01-23-11 11:03 AM
    OK guys.....how do you do a "three-finger" reset? I also pull my battery. Thanks.
    01-23-11 11:21 AM
    Yes, you only want a copy of 415 installed on your pc. Remove all others
    To clarify downloaded is ok. Installed is the key here. Only 415 installed then install the leak over it.
    I have not had any difficulty there, but I have read the same thing; that you want to have just one OS installed in the PC.

In this case, especially, I would not expect a problem, since the 431 supposedly overwrites all the 415 files, thereby leaving just one OS on your computer. It just needs the existing folders and registry structure to be in place since the installer will not write them directly like in a complete release.
    Nope. The leaked installer replaces every file in the OS folder. You only need to install 415 to write registry values to the PC so apploader knows there is an OS to install to the BB.
    Sometimes the leakers cant get the installer exe, but they can copy the install directory. When that happens, this is the only way to get the OS onto another BB.
    ok I believe I understand this. IF at any point I finally decide to go with 431 leak, I will most likely be checking in with you guys here before I do something to be sure I know what I'm doing. I've got a pretty good idea, but having an idea & actually doing it can be very different sometimes.
    01-23-11 11:23 AM
    OK guys.....how do you do a "three-finger" reset? I also pull my battery. Thanks.
    ALT-RIGHT SHIFT-DEL simultaneously. Just like the CTRL-ALT-DEL on your PC.
    Mojave likes this.
    01-23-11 11:25 AM
    ok I believe I understand this. IF at any point I finally decide to go with 431 leak, I will most likely be checking in with you guys here before I do something to be sure I know what I'm doing. I've got a pretty good idea, but having an idea & actually doing it can be very different sometimes.
    Not to worry -- we'll cover you.

BTW, understand that you do not have to have 415 loaded on your Bold, just on your PC.

Also, if you decide that you want to shrink the OS, JayDee is the queen of shrinkage. She can probably talk you through it better than any of us.
    01-23-11 11:29 AM
    holding asll 3 of these keys down at once:
    Left alt + right shift + del
    Hold those down till the screen blanks out and then it'll start the reboot process.

01-23-11 11:37 AM
    6.0.0.431 is up and running smooth. No problems the browser seems a little faster. I shrunk the you know what out of the OS. I've got 280 MB free.

01-23-11 11:39 AM
    ALT-RIGHT SHIFT-DEL simultaneously. Just like the CTRL-ALT-DEL on your PC.
    ahhhh, you got to it before I did. Lol!
    Not to worry -- we'll cover you.

BTW, understand that you do not have to have 415 loaded on your Bold, just on your PC.

Also, if you decide that you want to shrink the OS, JayDee is the queen of shrinkage. She can probably talk you through it better than any of us.
    thanks. Yes I did understand that part that 415 has to be on the PC not Beck.(My bold, yes I named thee-lol)
    Os shrinkage, now that I know nothing about so then if needed I'll bug jaydee!
    As of right now I'm still chicken, but all at the same time I am itchin'. so I'll just wait it out

01-23-11 11:41 AM
    holding asll 3 of these keys down at once:
    Left alt + right shift + del
    Hold those down till the screen blanks out and then it'll start the reboot process.

If you installed QuickLaunch it has in it a choice to add the option "Reboot Device" as a selection. Which will do the same without having to try to twist your fingers to hit the keys. A nice little extra as part of the app.
    01-23-11 11:49 AM
    Kool, I'd be all in for that procedure if it'd get me column view. Sometimes I feel like a slug of gin or something to keep me from throwing the #&@# thing against the wall while trying to browse. I remember browsers from years ago that worked better. Must not regress.
    I'm still getting some java . lang error on a fresh boot. No biggie, as a simple ok press sends it away. Was getting this on SCrids hybrid also.
    I see my browser still crashes and closes, but only on CB's site so far. Same as my last os, no change there.(cb thing?) Even tried a magical battery pull, wasn't expecting that to really do it and I wasn't disappointed. I guess it's bolt back to bolt time.
    From what I've been reading about the upcoming 6.1 there is no browser improvements coming with it, like column view. I think RIM truly believes that their webkit is the browser from the gods and there is nothing better until QVX or QNX or what ever tf it's called.
    I love the fluid transitions of 6 over 5. I really dislike the browser of 6 over 5.
    I see not much coming on the horizon or even for many months down the road from RIM. I might even be inclined to go for the storm 3 if verizon gets it later. I really don't like touch screens, but it does come with a trackpad, so that would help me out alot. The big pull would be the larger screen. I would imagine the webkit would work better with it and navigating around would be that much easier with the larger real estate. Time will tell for me. My upgrade comes in May, perhaps I'll try something diff.
    01-23-11 11:55 AM
    My Bold has not been out of its Otterbox cases on many months and the only reason the last time was Otterbox sent me a new case since there was a crack in the shell. 3-fingers it is - yesterday to restore the gps. Speaking of which - the gps is still working this morning in Berryweather. I should check daily and see how long it takes for it to go INACTIVE.

And having peeked at the next page here, no, I do not think a battery pull will restore Column View. And it is too bad no one has created a hybrid with the OS5 browser - I wonder if it is possible but no one really thinks anyone needs it or it is impossible.
    01-23-11 11:58 AM
    And it is too bad no one has created a hybrid with the OS5 browser - I wonder if it is possible but no one really thinks anyone needs it or it is impossible.
    Bingo! I think thats alot of the issue. The majority of folks think the webkit is just awesome. Isn't an extraction just locating and moving some cods? I know nothing about it, so this is just me speculating, but there are some really smart hybrid builders out there.
    01-23-11 12:04 PM
    If you installed QuickLaunch it has in it a choice to add the option "Reboot Device" as a selection. Which will do the same without having to try to twist your fingers to hit the keys. A nice little extra as part of the app.
    Yes, I like to use QL instead of trying to maneuver my fingers on those tiny keys!
    01-23-11 12:07 PM
    I have QL, and I've used that reset feature, as well as QuickPull. While they are supposed to do the same thing, I've found that often there is some kind of hang condition created when using the software reset that I just don't get when I use the keyboard. In my experience, the three-finger reset is just more reliable.
    Last edited by Underway99; 01-23-11 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    01-23-11 12:10 PM
23,186 ... 363364365366367 ...