OK, got Shane's latest installed last night. Seems to be running very well. About 282 MB free.

The one annoying thing is that the install process, although it reinstalls everything, doesn't put my apps back as I had them. I have put AAAALLLLLL of vzw's "CrapApps" in a folder and hidden it, along with games and instant messaging. Once done, I had to redo the whole deal, what a PITA. I thought the install process used to put the device back like it was as far as apps go, of course, depending on my memory is nolonger a wise thing to do!
    I found a fix for that. The next time you reload the OS, restore your THEME SETTINGS when you're restoring your SOUNDS. There should be only one THEME record. Select that and you're good to go -- wallpaper, icons, and everything, so long as the wallpaper file is still where you last had it.
    01-11-11 12:21 PM
    I was rambling in a thread about rambling. :}
    (I already knew the answer tbchwy. I had a 8530... they had loads of trackpad issues as well. In fact, I bet every blackberry device with a trackpad has several threads about trackpads)
    01-11-11 12:51 PM
    I was rambling in a thread about rambling. :}
    (I already knew the answer tbchwy. I had a 8530... they had loads of trackpad issues as well. In fact, I bet every blackberry device with a trackpad has several threads about trackpads)
    lol...ok, I guess I'm so jaded by people ignoring the cleverly disguised search function, I assumed. You know what they say when you assume, but it doesn't apply in this case!
    01-11-11 01:48 PM
    And the reigning Queen of the "links".

Bob, did you use that new shrinker app? Works great. It easily shrinks out that dumb start-up video, plus lots of other options.
    I didn't have to much app issues, strangely tho some were already security enabled.(no code input required) Since I use Q/L exclusively and no icons I never have to look at the crap stuff. 292mb here.
    Jim, What new shrinker app??
    01-11-11 02:21 PM
    Jim, What new shrinker app??
    Maybe it's not new, I've never used it before. It(BB BOSS) pops up when you install Scrid's latest hybrid. Which is awesome btw. You might want to give it a look.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/6-...9650-a-573538/
    01-11-11 07:29 PM
    I haven't heard of BB BOSS. Sprint's 415 is running great for me. I'm sticking with this until the VZW official drops.
    01-11-11 08:30 PM
    They say that new shrinker app is great because it even gets rid of the stupid opening videos for you as well as a bunch of other things. I haven't tried it yet but will as soon as VZW's official drops. I have decided to stay put with what I have right now. I don't think changes in java files are gonna cure this:

01-11-11 08:40 PM
    Jaydee, does the memory loss ever straighten out, or does it just keep dropping?
    01-11-11 08:46 PM
    They say that new shrinker app is great because it even gets rid of the stupid opening videos for you as well as a bunch of other things. I haven't tried it yet but will as soon as VZW's official drops. I have decided to stay put with what I have right now.
    Good for you. I agree, that the Java is not your issue. I loaded Shane's 398/424 hybrid just because I was bored waiting for Big Red to drop their OS6. If you are already running a 398 hybrid, I'd make the same choice and wait Verizon out.

The BB BOSS tool is every bit as good as you've heard. It did, however, miss that 22MB of startup video the first two times that I used it. I finally just took the 4 files and moved them directly into the Removed Files folder, then ran APPLOADER. I also noticed that, in Shane's hybrid, there is a line in BLACKBERRY.ALX that loads the old OS5 telephone ringtones COD. I don't know if he includes it in the distribution file, but I already had it loaded in the JAVA folder. The old ringtones loaded right up with the rest of the OS files. Sweet!
    01-12-11 12:22 AM
    Jaydee, does the memory loss ever straighten out, or does it just keep dropping?
    I haven't left it long enough to see if it drops to 50 or below because once it gets to 47 or 48 I find I have to restart because of lagging a bit.
    I hate restarting because it takes my media folder an hour to catch up. Ever try to use your media folder, like choose a new wallpaper right after a reboot or batt pull? It takes an hour to get control of my card. The trackpad doesn't move and the green bar at the bottom has to re index everything and it takes forever.

Why is that????
    I know batt pulls are quicker but I resist them because my track pad is so sluggish after I do pull batt.
    01-12-11 06:28 AM
    And the reigning Queen of the "links".

Bob, did you use that new shrinker app? Works great. It easily shrinks out that dumb start-up video, plus lots of other options.
    I didn't have to much app issues, strangely tho some were already security enabled.(no code input required) Since I use Q/L exclusively and no icons I never have to look at the crap stuff. 292mb here.
    Yep, I did use it and I like it. Very easy to use and the UI is complete, showing you everything.

I sucked it out of the install and set it up so I can use it when I want to.
    01-12-11 07:44 AM
    I found a fix for that. The next time you reload the OS, restore your THEME SETTINGS when you're restoring your SOUNDS. There should be only one THEME record. Select that and you're good to go -- wallpaper, icons, and everything, so long as the wallpaper file is still where you last had it.
    That makes sense, I can back to the regular VZW wallpaper, had not thought of the theme idea. I'll look into it next time. Thanks
    01-12-11 07:46 AM
    I haven't heard of BB BOSS. Sprint's 415 is running great for me. I'm sticking with this until the VZW official drops.
    A couple of guys over on the Leaks or Hybrid thread built it to replace the BBHybrids tool, this one is somewhat specific to BB6. They, the Hybrids builders I think, got together a list of what you can safely shrink out and then build this app. It's great. Check over in those threads, you may find it available there. I sucked it out of the install for Shane's latest Hybrid.
    01-12-11 07:51 AM
    I'm with you, prince.
    01-12-11 08:03 AM
    A couple of guys over on the Leaks or Hybrid thread built it to replace the BBHybrids tool, this one is somewhat specific to BB6. They, the Hybrids builders I think, got together a list of what you can safely shrink out and then build this app. It's great. Check over in those threads, you may find it available there. I sucked it out of the install for Shane's latest Hybrid.
    Bob, I also installed Shane's hybrid on my laptop just to pull out the BB BOSS shrinker. It's got a lot of items!

But I am leaving my OS install on my phone alone till VZW drops something. Let's hope its soon. Then will begin my TRIALS....
    01-12-11 08:07 AM
    Bob, I also installed Shane's hybrid on my laptop just to pull out the BB BOSS shrinker. It's got a lot of items!

But I am leaving my OS install on my phone alone till VZW drops something. Let's hope its soon. Then will begin my TRIALS....
    It's gonna take a bunch of gin for you to last with the same OS for another 6 days! It's already been several days since you last updated...
    01-13-11 01:15 AM
    Hey kids, I think I am venturing off into Android territory. My line is eligible to upgrade, and I think I may do it since VZw is dropping the NE2 program after 1/16. This way I'll have one last NE2 when I tire of my Droid2.

I tried my brother-in-law's Droid over the Christmas holiday, and the browsing is just amazing. I know there's more to a smartphone than just browsing, but I look stuff up all the time, and don't always want to go to my PC.

I'm not leaving my Rambling friends completely, not sure if that's good news or bad news I'll still chime in with my infamous brash/snarky comments!

I haven't made up my mind completely yet, just doing a lot of tire kicking. I like the Bold, I'm just not up for the $30 data plan really, and I can get the $15/150MB plan on the Droid2. 2011 is the year of trmming the expenses, and every little bit helps.
    01-13-11 10:35 AM
    Hey kids, I think I am venturing off into Android territory. My line is eligible to upgrade, and I think I may do it since VZw is dropping the NE2 program after 1/16. This way I'll have one last NE2 when I tire of my Droid2.

I tried my brother-in-law's Droid over the Christmas holiday, and the browsing is just amazing. I know there's more to a smartphone than just browsing, but I look stuff up all the time, and don't always want to go to my PC.

I'm not leaving my Rambling friends completely, not sure if that's good news or bad news I'll still chime in with my infamous brash/snarky comments!

I haven't made up my mind completely yet, just doing a lot of tire kicking. I like the Bold, I'm just not up for the $30 data plan really, and I can get the $15/150MB plan on the Droid2. 2011 is the year of trmming the expenses, and every little bit helps.
    I don't think I could have heard any worse news than if you told me they're taking away my birthday!

What about the $15 bb plan? Anyone got info on that?
    01-13-11 10:58 AM
    I don't think I could have heard any worse news than if you told me they're taking away my birthday!

What about the $15 bb plan? Anyone got info on that?
    the $15 data plan is limited to 150mb and I believe you can use that on a bb! I'm also not sure, but I think droids are data hogs, more so than bb's-but don't hold me to that statement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 11:02 AM
    Paul, I don't blame you for wanting to venture out of the BB zone. I question tho why a 150mb/month data plan would be a good idea on a device with such an awesome browser. Seems counter-intuitive.
    I do understand the NE2 logic. I'm not due for NE2 until May and I'll get only one shot at it so it's not a bad idea for you to take advantage of that offer. When I was on tmobile I had no less than half a doz devices that I swapped back and forth. The "sim" system made that sweet and easy. I did the same on verizon at first also once I figure out it wasn't to hard.
    My latest issue is I'm getting burned out using such a small screen device. This is becoming a gripe for me lately. When my NE2 comes up I'll be taking a serious look around also. If you go for a droid please come back and let us know of your experience. Coming from a longtime BB user I for one would love to hear about your impressions of android.
    No icrap in your future...eh?
    01-13-11 11:26 AM
    Paul, good luck with whatever you decide to do. I really do hope that you'll continue to "ramble" with us. Your knowledge and opinions are a valuable asset to this forum.
    01-13-11 12:49 PM
    Stop the presses folks, I got the $15 data plan for my Bold. I use between 76-99 MB per month, so this plan makes sense. I still may get a Droid, but I am going to wait on that. Feb 17 will be here real soon.

Have you resumed breathing now, jaydee?

Thanks everyone for the kind words, guess you'll all have to put up with me for a while longer.

Oh, btw, if you currently have NE2 now, you will not lose it after 1/16. That's only for new accounts activated after 1/16.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-13-11 at 01:48 PM.
    01-13-11 01:46 PM
    Stop the presses folks, I got the $15 data plan for my Bold. I use between 76-99 MB per month, so this plan makes sense. I still may get a Droid, but I am going to wait on that. Feb 17 will be here real soon.

Have you resumed breathing now, jaydee?

Thanks everyone for the kind words, guess you'll all have to put up with me for a while longer.

Oh, btw, if you currently have NE2 now, you will not lose it after 1/16. That's only for new accounts activated after 1/16.
    I have been thinking about droping my plan to the $15.00 jobie as well. I offered my wife my Tour with a $15.00 plan which ends up costing us practially nothing additional and we both have smartphones. She is thinking about it, very slowly I might add, so time will tell.

Glad to hear that we will continue to get NE2, that is very helpful in getting a new device every so often. These things keep getting more expensive...
    01-13-11 01:59 PM
    These things keep getting more expensive...
    Tell me about it! The in-store rep said she could put me behind the wheel of the Droid2 Global for $299 before the rebate (upgrade pricing w/ 2yr renewal). I asked very kindly if she needed her meds refilled?

No device is worth that. I still feel cheated out of $99 for the Storm2.
    01-13-11 02:32 PM
    yea pc the 150mb plan works for blackberries just fine (although i go over that every month so i just keep the unlimited plan) but if you were to get an android there is no way in H-e-l-l that would work. With my blackberry with heavy usage i would average about 200mb a month, i have been using my samsung fascinate for two weeks and im at 1gb so far. Androids are data hogs, and while i do enjoy the better browsing and GORGEOUS screen, productivity is just not as efficient as it is on a blackberry. It takes two to three steps to do what one click of a key can do on a blackberry.
    01-13-11 03:24 PM
23,186 ... 347348349350351 ...