Hey Jim, Congratulations on your "Master" status!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    cbreze likes this.
    12-13-10 06:48 AM
    Jim,
    Congrats on the Master status!!!
    I am going to move to 407 as well tonight. I have more time as soon as I get home from work and my meetings today.
    I have replaced the sfi radio file with the 280 file to see if that helps my leak. Let's hope I can make calls after all that!

Let me know how it's running for you!!!
    Thanks for the congrats JayDee. 407 seems to be running fine as any other incarnation of 6 imo anyway. I like 6 alot, but the browser may drive me to some G+T's
    It may need to settle down some more(hopin like heck)then perhaps it will load a little quicker. As you mentioned the CB site is really awful for webkit. It loads faster if you don't switch it to default view(forum setting), but then the endless, hair pulling, scrolling/zooming is neccessary. By switching to "default" view the magnifying glass magically appears, giving you one shot at a text wrap. If it fails to wrap you have to go back to the previous screen to get the mag glass again for another shot at it. Gee, why no column view option?? In 5 as we all know you can be done browsing by the time you've read a couple posts with 6. Unbelievable, but it may drive me back to 5. I'm active on several forums and it's the same for all.
    So, basically what it boils down to is one's own individual usage. If the webkit was fast as we all thought it was supposed to be then it'd be way less of an issue for sure. If this doesn't stabilize and get quicker in a day or two, I'll likely revert back.
    Side note: funny how I had to become a BB "master" before I figured what I was doing wrong in my hybrid installs.

Jim,
    Congratulations on reaching "Master" status. I for one have appreciated your thoughtful posts here in the rambler haven.

I think I'm going to patch my .407 tonight to overlay the .380 or whatever it is that SCrid dopped last week.
    Thanks Bob, It's a good day to be a rambler.
    As I posted above 6 being what it is I may not be able to stick with it due to the sluggish browser. Gonna give this hybrid time to settle then decide.

Hey Jim, Congratulations on your "Master" status!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for the congrats Keith. You still hangin' with 5?
    Side note: You in that cold blizzard weather area? Be careful driving,and stay warm. I got to put up with 80 degrees again today. Shorts weather.
    12-13-10 10:37 AM
    In celebration of becoming a "master"
    Congrats on the Master status, Jim!!!
    cbreze likes this.
    12-13-10 10:57 AM
    Thanks for the congrats JayDee. 407 seems to be running fine as any other incarnation of 6 imo anyway. I like 6 alot, but the browser may drive me to some G+T's
    It may need to settle down some more(hopin like heck)then perhaps it will load a little quicker. As you mentioned the CB site is really awful for webkit. It loads faster if you don't switch it to default view(forum setting), but then the endless, hair pulling, scrolling/zooming is neccessary. By switching to "default" view the magnifying glass magically appears, giving you one shot at a text wrap. If it fails to wrap you have to go back to the previous screen to get the mag glass again for another shot at it. Gee, why no column view option?? In 5 as we all know you can be done browsing by the time you've read a couple posts with 6. Unbelievable, but it may drive me back to 5. I'm active on several forums and it's the same for all.
    So, basically what it boils down to is one's own individual usage. If the webkit was fast as we all thought it was supposed to be then it'd be way less of an issue for sure. If this doesn't stabilize and get quicker in a day or two, I'll likely revert back.
    Side note: funny how I had to become a BB "master" before I figured what I was doing wrong in my hybrid installs.

Thanks Bob, It's a good day to be a rambler.
    As I posted above 6 being what it is I may not be able to stick with it due to the sluggish browser. Gonna give this hybrid time to settle then decide.

Thanks for the congrats Keith. You still hangin' with 5?
    Side note: You in that cold blizzard weather area? Be careful driving,and stay warm. I got to put up with 80 degrees again today. Shorts weather.
    Jim, Am I ever in it. I didn't leave the house at all yesterday. I wish I could have, instead I watched the Bears get pummeled by the Patriots. Our high today is 9 degrees!! We won't see shorts around here for quite awhile.
    12-13-10 11:05 AM
    So Bob and I are both going to move to 407 tonight. Who's gonna join us?
    Keith? Paul?...

I have my os all ready to go...added 280 sfi to the 357/359/407
    That would make my hybrid...WHAT?
    280/357/359/407????
    What an alphabet soup!!!
    12-13-10 11:12 AM
    Keith? Paul?...

280/357/359/407????
    What an alphabet soup!!!
    Jaydee, I won't be doing a hybrid, I don't see any benefit. I'm not having leak issues, don't think I'd load a hybrid even if I was. In fact, since removing Meterberry I don't even check memory any more. Right now Device Status & Info says File Free: 269,418,361 and when I checked it last week it was 270,xxx,xxx. Good enough for me!!!!

I am anxiously awaiting the next leak to load up though.
    12-13-10 11:32 AM
    Keith? Paul?...

280/357/359/407????
    What an alphabet soup!!!
    If you copy SCrid's 380 update to that, won't the 357/359 go away? And wouldn't you then have Spaghetti-Os with numbers?

I have 407 running very well on both Bolds. Webkit browser is still so-so, but I can live with that. Having said that, I'm finding that the browser seems to be getting better with each hybrid for loading mobile sites. It still is not very good at regular desktop sites ("Best viewed with [insert browser here]"), but the mobile sites seem to be faster than ever. It is certainly faster than with the Tour browser. I'm not sure why -- I wouldn't expect that there has been any change in how the Webkit handles mobile sites without a change in the regular sites as well. I just compared http://www.crackberry.com and http://m.crackberry.com, and the difference is night and day. The same goes for CNN, MSNBC, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Isn't Webkit supposed to blur the line between regular and mobile sites?

Bottom line here is that while I do not much like the Webkit browser, I can use the mobile sites and still have access to all the good things about OS6. I have found that Bolt does not seem to render pages much differently than the Webkit browser, so I'm resigned to using the Webkit for now. I sure would like to see OS6 release with the browser fixed. We'll see.
    Last edited by Underway99; 12-13-10 at 12:04 PM.
    12-13-10 11:45 AM
    Jaydee, I won't be doing a hybrid, I don't see any benefit. I'm not having leak issues, don't think I'd load a hybrid even if I was. In fact, since removing Meterberry I don't even check memory any more. Right now Device Status & Info says File Free: 269,418,361 and when I checked it last week it was 270,xxx,xxx. Good enough for me!!!!

I am anxiously awaiting the next leak to load up though.
    Thanks for the congrats Paul. I can't really tell the diff between this 407 hybrid and the 333 leak which it was loaded over. I wasn't having any issue with 333 either. Both run smooth enough. We should be due another leak soon I would think it's about time.
    12-13-10 12:07 PM
    Keith? Paul?...

280/357/359/407????
    What an alphabet soup!!!
    Jaydee, I'm with Paul on this one, no serious leak for me on 333. I see there's a new leak for the 9700. C'mon, our 9650's need some BB6 leak love too! Or better yet an "official".
    Last edited by princebb; 12-13-10 at 12:23 PM.
    12-13-10 12:19 PM
    Jaydee, I'm with Paul on this one, no serious leak for me on 333. I see there's a new leak for the 9700. C'mon our 9650's some BB6 leak love too! Or better yet an "official".
    +1 where the he|| is 398???????? Oh and clicking the trackpad on accident, I see I still have Device & Status Info open....Free File 270,908,341! Seems to be pretty stable.

I often think some of these hybrids are created just for the sake of having something to do.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-13-10 at 12:32 PM.
    12-13-10 12:23 PM
    If you copy SCrid's 380 update to that, won't the 357/359 go away? And wouldn't you then have Spaghetti-Os with numbers?

The same goes for CNN, MSNBC, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Isn't Webkit supposed to blur the line between regular and mobile sites?
    Underway yes I will have 280/380-407. That's a nice round number!
    Oh and the webkit browser...how do I get mobile sites on it? I think they would render better. I have to choose the mobile version or does it just go to the full site anyway?
    12-13-10 12:49 PM
    +1 where the he|| is 398???????? Oh and clicking the trackpad on accident, I see I still have Device & Status Info open....Free File 270,908,341! Seems to be pretty stable.

I often think some of these hybrids are created just for the sake of having something to do.
    So what if they are? Installing something other than straight 333 which craps on my phone makes me feel like I am doing something to solve a problem.
    8 hours uptime on my phone...down 18MB

The speed at which it drops MB depends on the quality of my wireless connection I have found. At home it doesn't seem to drop as fast. And when I was out with no wireless connection and forgot to turn it off, it dropped even faster. Make sense? At work it drops moderately because we have wireless but sometimes I vacillate between two different networks.

Am I crazy? No, don't answer that!
    12-13-10 12:56 PM
    Underway yes I will have 280/380-407. That's a nice round number!
    Oh and the webkit browser...how do I get mobile sites on it? I think they would render better. I have to choose the mobile version or does it just go to the full site anyway?
    Loading mobile sites seems to be kind of hit and miss with this browser. I am not sure how the browser refers to itself as a desktop or mobile browser. In OS5, you could force the browser to load pages as IE, Firefox, etc, if you found a particularly troublesome page. For OS6, sometimes the site will detect the mobile browser and load the mobile page, and sometimes it doesn't. When the browser loads the regular page, I look for a mobile link. When I get to the mobile page, I add a link to my home screen. If I'm feeling really Bold ("Bold", get it?) I make it a favorite.
    12-13-10 01:02 PM
    So what if they are? Installing something other than straight 333 which craps on my phone makes me feel like I am doing something to solve a problem.

The speed at which it drops MB depends on the quality of my wireless connection I have found. At home it doesn't seem to drop as fast. And when I was out with no wireless connection and forgot to turn it off, it dropped even faster. Make sense? At work it drops moderately because we have wireless but sometimes I vacillate between two different networks.

So, what happens if you secure the WiFi? Do you still drop memory?
    12-13-10 01:05 PM

Easy there, Gunsmoke! Don't get yourself all twisted in knots.
    12-13-10 01:15 PM

So you're saying I shouldn't load a new OS?
    12-13-10 01:35 PM

So you're saying I shouldn't load a new OS?
    No, i said I'm waiting for the next leak/official. I don't see any benefit in loading all the crazy hybrids

222/280/333/357/359/407/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx
    12-13-10 01:38 PM
    No, i said I'm waiting for the next leak/official. I don't see any benefit in loading all the crazy hybrids

222/280/333/357/359/407/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx
    Why am I listening to you???
    Your phone WORKS!
    Mine doesn't!!!! hahahahahahaha
    280/380-407 goes on tonight!!

PS Even if we DO get an official, there's probably no way I run it straight, anyway. I will; with this leaky phone; more than likely need a hybrid so I am scoping them out now!!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 12-13-10 at 01:47 PM.
    12-13-10 01:45 PM
    Your phone WORKS!
    Mine doesn't!!!! hahahahahahaha
    280/380-407 goes on tonight!!
    Wow. It would seem to me that maybe you SHOULD listen to someone who can make their phone work!
    12-13-10 01:50 PM
    Wow. It would seem to me that maybe you SHOULD listen to someone who can make their phone work!
    Oh really? And what CONSTRUCTIVE advice is he giving me?
    Know what guys? Forget it.
    I'll take care of my phone myself.
    Thanks for the help!
    12-13-10 01:53 PM
    I don't know, I wasn't criticizing you. I was just telling you that I wasn't loading up 407 over 333.

You seem to be taking my comments personally, and there not meant to be taken that way.

You have to use what works for you.
    12-13-10 01:57 PM
    Oh really? And what CONSTRUCTIVE advice is he giving me?
    Know what guys? Forget it.
    I'll take care of my phone myself.
    Thanks for the help!
    Whoa! Little sarcasm there, that's all. All in fun and such.

I'm would hope that nobody is givng you any real grief here. I'd be looking for a solution too if I had the same issues that you've had with the phone. It wouldn't matter that some folks thought it wouldn't work. We all know that every one of these handsets are different in some manner. You may yet find a solution that works for you.
    12-13-10 02:06 PM
    I'm would hope that nobody is givng you any real grief here.
    I'm certainly not giving anyone any grief. What I do or don't do makes sense for me.

That is all.
    12-13-10 02:10 PM
    I've never had an instance where a hybrid "helped", but we are definitely due for a new leak... I get the ~20mb memory leak as well, but it doesn't hurt anything.... pointless to continue to load hybrid builds when the problem is in the core of 333 that isn't changing until a new complete build is leaked.

Either way, aside from a random reboot after a picture once and a while 333 seems to work fine and is light years better than OS5, i'll tolerate the reboot problem and minor memory loss that doesn't hurt anything until it's perfected.

Now where's that next leak???
    12-13-10 03:10 PM
    Here's something I've noticed lately. I'm getting an error screen(not numbered) box that pops up when I'm using the browser that says." insufficient data service signal. contact your service provider if this problem persists". I started getting these pop ups a couple weeks ago and now they are way more frequent. Don't know if this 407 hybrid has anything to do with the frequency. So far I can close the box and move on to what I'm doing, but lately it's getting worse and taking up to 3 trys sometimes to get rid of it. My signal is fine and I'm generally on wifi, but not always when it happens. It's happened on 333 then 5/983 and now 407. Color me clueless.
    12-13-10 03:38 PM
23,186 ... 330331332333334 ...