Must mean you need to go back to BB6!!!
    Isn't it time for a new leak????
    12-11-10 11:53 AM
    Isn't it time for a new leak????
    No kidden'. What is with these folks, don't they understand we need a new leak? Or bettery yet, doesn't vzw understand that we need an official?
    12-11-10 02:57 PM
    well it sounds like verizon is getting ready to release blackberry 6. BlackmanX who is a very reliable source tweeted this morning that verizon has a very stable build of os6 that is more than likely to get released. He didnt say what version, but more than likely that version will get leaked before it gets officially released.
    12-11-10 03:03 PM
    well it sounds like verizon is getting ready to release blackberry 6. BlackmanX who is a very reliable source tweeted this morning that verizon has a very stable build of os6 that is more than likely to get released. He didnt say what version, but more than likely that version will get leaked before it gets officially released.
    So RR, any idea on time frame?
    Worth it for me to wipe and reload a 407 hybrid or stand my ground and wait?
    Things have settled down a bit and I am topping out at 23 MB down or so...
    12-11-10 03:11 PM
    its hard to tell JD, to me it sounds like its close but you know verizon, things could change last minute.
    If i were you i would just stay where you are because it sounds like things are leveling out and not leaking any additional memory.
    12-11-10 03:30 PM
    JayDee, I think it's a crapshoot on which way to go; however, if you put a gun to my head and said I had to give an opinion I would say load .407. If you remember, not an easy task for old guys like me with severe memory leaks, there were all kinds of people saying when our Baby Bolds were going to be released, from about 2/3/2010 til it finally dropped on about 6/10/2010. We could go through the same spiral again.

Where's tourboy, we need a thread on when BB6 will drop...
    12-11-10 05:09 PM
    Well, I thank you both for your opinion. I really want to load 407 BUT...
    I do have a ton of events coming up, meetings everyday after work and a few Christmas concerts, etc. Just enough that I won't have a block of time to slowly watch my Baby Bold and add back apps one at a time....

I'm thinking I may stand pat for another week or so...over Christmas I have time off from work and things will have calmed down around here. Then I can reload something if a leak or the official hasn't dropped.

By then, maybe there will be another hybrid to try
    I'm thinking about Scrid's...the one you have Bob. I really want to get rid of all the 333 files I can and go for something higher.
    12-11-10 05:17 PM
    Well, I thank you both for your opinion. I really want to load 407 BUT...
    I do have a ton of events coming up, meetings everyday after work and a few Christmas concerts, etc. Just enough that I won't have a block of time to slowly watch my Baby Bold and add back apps one at a time....

I'm thinking I may stand pat for another week or so...over Christmas I have time off from work and things will have calmed down around here. Then I can reload something if a leak or the official hasn't dropped.

By then, maybe there will be another hybrid to try
    I'm thinking about Scrid's...the one you have Bob. I really want to get rid of all the 333 files I can and go for something higher.
    Great idea, the .407 I'm running si SCrid's latest as far as I know. it is running very well on my device, no problems at all other than the slow page rendering in the browser.

If I were you, I would install .407 over a fresh .333 and turn apploader loose and let it do its thing including reloading all of your apps. I believe that you are now beyond bothering to load apps one at a time, just go for the gusto.
    12-11-10 05:24 PM
    Great idea, the .407 I'm running si SCrid's latest as far as I know. it is running very well on my device, no problems at all other than the slow page rendering in the browser.

If I were you, I would install .407 over a fresh .333 and turn apploader loose and let it do its thing including reloading all of your apps. I believe that you are now beyond bothering to load apps one at a time, just go for the gusto.
    Gusto goes down well with gin.

I wonder if the radio is your problem. You've tried most all the flavors of OS6 Java with no success. The hybrids that you've tried are all 333-based, right? If I understand it correctly, the file that does not get changed with a hybrid is the SFI. If so, then I'd wait for a new leak (or maybe even something with a carrier label) with a new radio and start again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-10 06:02 PM
    Gusto goes down well with gin.

I wonder if the radio is your problem. You've tried most all the flavors of OS6 Java with no success. The hybrids that you've tried are all 333-based, right? If I understand it correctly, the file that does not get changed with a hybrid is the SFI. If so, then I'd wait for a new leak (or maybe even something with a carrier label) with a new radio and start again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes, Underway. I am thinking the radio file is the problem as well since I haven't been able to lose the 333 radio file. It makes sense. I did try the 280/333/357 hybrid for half a day but did not give it time to settle, I installed all the apps on top of it right away, etc. Maybe the 280 radio would be a better choice. But I do not want to go backwards, as you say.

I would like to wait for something better...onward and upward.

Every problem I had on my Curve 8330 and on the phone I turned into VZW was caused by the SFI file. It's why I had hybrids on the 8330. The SFI file was the source of all the clangs, chirps, squelches, etc.

It stands to reason that it is the problem here too.
    Bring on a NEW LEAK!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 12-11-10 at 06:20 PM.
    12-11-10 06:17 PM
    Yes, Underway. I am thinking the radio file is the problem as well since I haven't been able to lose the 333 radio file. It makes sense. I did try the 280/333/357 hybrid for half a day but did not give it time to settle, I installed all the apps on top of it right away, etc. Maybe the 280 radio would be a better choice. But I do not want to go backwards, as you say.

I would like to wait for something better...onward and upward.

Every problem I had on my Curve 8330 and on the phone I turned into VZW was caused by the SFI file. It's why I had hybrids on the 8330. The SFI file was the source of all the clangs, chirps, squelches, etc.

It stands to reason that it is the problem here too.
    Bring on a NEW LEAK!!
    How about if you hybrid the hybrid by bringing the .280 SFI forward to the .333 base?

Of course that is not saying the the .280 SFI is not the same SFI that is in .333, or that if we get a new leak it will have a new SFI. We'll need to check the files and see what we can find about the various SFI files. I don't have a copy of the .280 leak, not sure how I missed that one but I did.

I think I am going to start making a copy of the installed files to another folder to keep for posterity, it would certainly help if I had a .280 SFI as I could then look at the properties and see if they differ in any way, that would tell us if there had been a change to the file in the .333 leak.

Anyone got a .280 SFI? I have a .333 handy.
    12-11-10 07:05 PM
    How about if you hybrid the hybrid by bringing the .280 SFI forward to the .333 base?

Of course that is not saying the the .280 SFI is not the same SFI that is in .333, or that if we get a new leak it will have a new SFI. We'll need to check the files and see what we can find about the various SFI files. I don't have a copy of the .280 leak, not sure how I missed that one but I did.

I think I am going to start making a copy of the installed files to another folder to keep for posterity, it would certainly help if I had a .280 SFI as I could then look at the properties and see if they differ in any way, that would tell us if there had been a change to the file in the .333 leak.

Anyone got a .280 SFI? I have a .333 handy.
    Oh I have ALL of them. Do you need it installed?
    What do I do? Install 280 and then copy the file and get it to you?
    12-11-10 08:06 PM
    Oh I have ALL of them. Do you need it installed?
    What do I do? Install 280 and then copy the file and get it to you?
    I think all we need is the file size, creation date and modified date. I have an older SFI from OS5/.621, when I compared the two files these were the attributes that would serve to identify the file version if you will. I have seen some files actually have version numbers, I was hoping that RIM had included them but no. File name "rim0x07001504.sfi" is the same in OS5 and BB6.

Thus, compare these attributes to the .333 version of the SFI:
    • Size: 34.8 MB (36,562,012 bytes)
    • Created: Wednesday, ‎October ‎27, ‎2010, ‏‎3:02:24 AM
    • Modified: Wednesday, ‎October ‎27, ‎2010, ‏‎4:02:24 AM
    Let's see if this tells us anything a all. Keep ing.
    Last edited by BoDeb; 12-11-10 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Opps I put the wrong version #, .333 is correct.
    12-11-10 09:02 PM
    I think all we need is the file size, creation date and modified date. I have an older SFI from OS5/.621, when I compared the two files these were the attributes that would serve to identify the file version if you will. I have seen some files actually have version numbers, I was hoping that RIM had included them but no. File name "rim0x07001504.sfi" is the same in OS5 and BB6.

Thus, compare these attributes to the .333 version of the SFI:
    • Size: 34.8 MB (36,562,012 bytes)
    • Created: Wednesday, ‎October ‎27, ‎2010, ‏‎3:02:24 AM
    • Modified: Wednesday, ‎October ‎27, ‎2010, ‏‎4:02:24 AM
    Let's see if this tells us anything a all. Keep ing.
    Bob:
    Under 280
    Name: rim0x07001504.sfi...same
    • Size: 35.0 MB (36,759,756 bytes)
    • Created: October 01, 2010 4:34:50 AM
    • Modified: October 01, 2010 4:34:50 AM
    Not much difference. You have the later date which only proves that 333 was created AFTER 280.

Is this like being a detective? I kinda like it!
    12-12-10 08:45 AM
    Bob:
    Under 280
    Name: rim0x07001504.sfi...same
    • Size: 35.0 MB (36,759,756 bytes)
    • Created: October 01, 2010 4:34:50 AM
    • Modified: October 01, 2010 4:34:50 AM
    Not much difference. You have the later date which only proves that 333 was created AFTER 280.

Is this like being a detective? I kinda like it!
    I don't think that there is anything to be lost by trying a 280 installation. Make sure that you keep an eye on your battery drain with 280. Didn't SCrid say something about the signal stability and battery usage with the 280 radio? Since you've minimized the likelihood of the Java being bad, you might be able to keep the newer Java, too. You're running one of SCrid's hybrids, right? Recall he posted that they could be installed over 280. Suppose you drop the 280 radio into the CDMA folder and run APPLOADER?
    12-12-10 09:08 AM
    I don't think that there is anything to be lost by trying a 280 installation. Make sure that you keep an eye on your battery drain with 280. Didn't SCrid say something about the signal stability and battery usage with the 280 radio? Since you've minimized the likelihood of the Java being bad, you might be able to keep the newer Java, too. You're running one of SCrid's hybrids, right? Recall he posted that they could be installed over 280. Suppose you drop the 280 radio into the CDMA folder and run APPLOADER?
    So wait, how do I do this?
    I take the radio (sfi) file into the cdma folder once installed...the one from 280 replacing the hybrid one from 333.

Then Scrid's hybrid for the rest (359-407)

Once it's all installed, run apploader? So the only 280 files would be the radio file and no 333 files would be left because I am using the 359-407 hybrid.

Is this right?
    12-12-10 10:58 AM
    I take the radio (sfi) file into the cdma folder once installed...the one from 280 replacing the hybrid one from 333.

Once it's all installed, run apploader? So the only 280 files would be the radio file and no 333 files would be left because I am using the 359-407 hybrid.

Is this right?
    Sort of. I had written with the comment about replacing the SFI, figuring that you were already runnning one of SCrid's hybrids without the 407. To be honest, I've lost track of all the different combinations that you've tried. That's why I asked about a troubleshooting log yesterday.

The best way is for you to install the straight 280, then install his latest hybrid on top of the 280. The 280 Java will be gone, replaced with the combination of 359/380/407 or whatever he's stirred into the mix, but the 280 radio should remain.
    12-12-10 11:36 AM
    Sort of. I had written with the comment about replacing the SFI, figuring that you were already runnning one of SCrid's hybrids without the 407. To be honest, I've lost track of all the different combinations that you've tried. That's why I asked about a troubleshooting log yesterday.

The best way is for you to install the straight 280, then install his latest hybrid on top of the 280. The 280 Java will be gone, replaced with the combination of 359/380/407 or whatever he's stirred into the mix, but the 280 radio should remain.
    well, I have scrid's hybrid installed already and the 357/359/407 installed and ready on my hdd. So can I just copy the sfi from 280 into the cdma folder and then run apploader? That should work, right?
    12-12-10 12:20 PM
    well, I have scrid's hybrid installed already and the 357/359/407 installed and ready on my hdd. So can I just copy the sfi from 280 into the cdma folder and then run apploader? That should work, right?
    As I understand it, that would be correct.
    12-12-10 12:48 PM

Is this right?

Here's how I would do it:
    1. Copy the .SFI file from the .280 install and save it somewhere.
    2. Uninstall .280
    3. Install .333
    4. Hybridize it. (whichever hybrid overly you want to use, I would recommend SCrid's latest .407 with the .359 files)
    5. Replace the .333 .SFI file with the .280 .SFI file
    6. Light shrink
    7. Run apploader
    To me this appears to be a very simple and safe way to go.

Don't know where this thought came from but....., I wonder if one could take an OS5 (let's say 5.0.0.983) and overlay the Java folder with BB6 (maybe 6.0.0.407), it may actually take a couple of Java folders to replace all of the .983 files. I have no idea if this would work, and I think I lean toward the no side; however, we know that JayDee's Baby Bold didn't leak memory on OS5 but does on BB6. We further suspect that it is something like the radio file or some other file in the base OS that is the bad actor. Thus, if you run an OS5 base with BB6 Java, if they could play nice together that might be an interesting test to see if it addrssed the mem leaks yet gave some of the BB6 upgrades.

Just a crazy idea and I have no reason to believe that it would actually work, just thunking on the keyboard.
    12-12-10 01:18 PM
    Bob, what you propose I do, I had actually set up already! HAHA

I have actually installed 333 and SCrid's hybrid over it. I took the sfi from 280 and replaced the 333 sfi. All I need do tomorrow...when I have some time, is to lightly shrink and run apploader.

As far as taking parts of OS5 and dumping OS6 java into it...I dunno. When I had the chirp in OS5, I created my own hybrids by mixing and matching radio files and cods and I got some versions that did not make calls, or made calls with no sound, would not ring, etc...very unpalatable things. So I wonder...
    12-12-10 04:46 PM
    Bob, what you propose I do, I had actually set up already! HAHA

I have actually installed 333 and SCrid's hybrid over it. I took the sfi from 280 and replaced the 333 sfi. All I need do tomorrow...when I have some time, is to lightly shrink and run apploader.

As far as taking parts of OS5 and dumping OS6 java into it...I dunno. When I had the chirp in OS5, I created my own hybrids by mixing and matching radio files and cods and I got some versions that did not make calls, or made calls with no sound, would not ring, etc...very unpalatable things. So I wonder...
    Actually, I'm fairly convinced that it would not work. I have to believe, I think, that there is more to the base OS that must be compatible with what is in the Java folder which would impact compatablilty of a cross OS hybrid. Don't think I'm up to trying it to be honest.

I think I am going to load SCrid's latest myself, I've been very busy this weekend with other things so I've not had the time to mess with this much. I think I may attack it tomorrow night, unless I get some wild idea in the next few hours and actually do it tonight.
    Last edited by BoDeb; 12-12-10 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Add a thought
    12-12-10 05:07 PM
    Well, I've plunged in to hybrid territory. In celebration of becoming a "master" I loaded my first (407) and so far it is very nice. Might even be better when it settles down like I've been hearing.
    JayDee, I read your post re: the crappy browsing experience in CB when using the webkit. Not sure 407 will be much better for that, but I'll maybe go to "bolt". I used bolt before for forum viewing and while "it is what it is", it does give a better forum browsing experience than the webkit. (like column view) imho anyway. I really love 6, but sure miss having column view for forums. Gonna trial this 407 for awhile. I hear it's from the "style". Maybe it's either "the one" or close to the one verizon will give us.
    ciao,
    12-12-10 11:42 PM
    Jim,
    Congrats on the Master status!!!

I am going to move to 407 as well tonight. I have more time as soon as I get home from work and my meetings today.
    I have replaced the sfi radio file with the 280 file to see if that helps my leak. Let's hope I can make calls after all that!

Let me know how it's running for you!!!
    cbreze likes this.
    12-13-10 05:52 AM
    Jim,
    Congratulations on reaching "Master" status. I for one have appreciated your thoughtful posts here in the rambler haven.

I think I'm going to patch my .407 tonight to overlay the .380 or whatever it is that SCrid dopped last week.
    cbreze likes this.
    12-13-10 06:10 AM
23,186 ... 329330331332333 ...