You're right. I thought this was an old Essex pre-release thread. Sorry everyone. I stand corrected, admonished, and forever ashamed of my insidious remark about calling the thread ancient. I just saw the word Essex and stopped reading there.
    OK, we forgive you!

12-07-10 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion but this IS the second refurb from VZW.
    I am going to wait till the official hits and when it leaks, start the parade of refurb devices. And reboot in the meantime. And do you represent driphter? or just run a hybrid?
    I'd have to agree, JayDee. You've done Yeoman's work to isolate the memory problem. I'd also be leaning toward a hardware problem, like PC Bob, and others have suggested. We are all running some flavor of OS6, likely with the same source files, since we seem to spend some time here. It looks like many of us are having no memory issues with OS6, so, since you've isolated your apps with no resolution, the only other source is hardware. If what you are running is working, then just go with it. The chance that you went from a phone with memory problems to another with the same problems isn't all that good, but that's apparently what happened. Just put VZW advance tech support on your speed dial and wait for the official release.

And head back to Costco for the Costco-sized bottle of gin.
    12-07-10 10:20 AM
    I'd have to agree, JayDee. You've done Yeoman's work to isolate the memory problem. I'd also be leaning toward a hardware problem, like PC Bob, and others have suggested. We are all running some flavor of OS6, likely with the same source files, since we seem to spend some time here. It looks like many of us are having no memory issues with OS6, so, since you've isolated your apps with no resolution, the only other source is hardware. If what you are running is working, then just go with it. The chance that you went from a phone with memory problems to another with the same problems isn't all that good, but that's apparently what happened. Just put VZW advance tech support on your speed dial and wait for the official release.

I've made this same point numerous times over the 9550 forums, especially with one specific dunderhead:

jaydee's case shows that all BlackBerries are not equal. And while one person's berry may not have a particular issue, that in no way means the issue doesn't exist.

I still believe that if her leak was hardware related, it would leak with OS5. I don't know that jaydee has run 333 or whatever variant she prefers, without any any apps, and then installing them one-by-one. That would be my suggestion, but that suggestion is second only to "don't worry about it".

By the way, I gave up on that argument, since the member obviously doesn't get how things really work....as evidenced by their useless, meaningless posts.
    12-07-10 10:35 AM
    Just put VZW advance tech support on your speed dial and wait for the official release.

I don't know that jaydee has run 333 or whatever variant she prefers, without any any apps, and then installing them one-by-one. That would be my suggestion, but that suggestion is second only to "don't worry about it".
    @Underway-what is that advanced tech support number again? I could use it later! Oh and I prefer Bombay Sapphire gin, not the other stuff! HAHA

@pcgizmo-Paul, I didn't speak with you this weekend because you were busy but I DID conduct an experiment. I ran a clean copy of just 333 and it began to leak immediately. So I added my apps back in disgust. Also, I ran 333/357 and ran it in SAFE MODE with no apps. I added one app at a time back...actually I only added back BeWeather and the thing went crazy and memory dropped like a stone. At which time I got disgusted and added back all my apps.

So your original advice of "don't worry about it" is what I am following FINALLY!!!!

I have uninstalled Meterberry and I reboot when before I step in the shower and at lunch and after dinner. Seems to work for me. This is as "don't worry about it" as I (type A personality) can get. LOL

Thanks for the help everyone. You are all correct. It's my phone, its the OS and its my apps. I just don't have the right combination.
    12-07-10 10:50 AM
    Well, I've developed an issue with berryreader on 5/983. It has not worked right since I downgraded. I get a "not found" error. The icon isn't all there either, like an empty envelope. I've tried deleting and re-installing to no avail. Weird, but if this is the only thing then I'll deal with it as the browser in column view is smokin' fast. If we'd get another 6 leak or dare I wish for the verizon "official" I'd jump back up. Might anyway if I find anymore issues. Or try 975. But I do prefer the sig bar stability of 983 over 975.
    I'm having a hard time keeping up with JayDee, what'd you settle on?

working my way to 1k
    12-07-10 11:52 AM
    Well, I've developed an issue with berryreader on 5/983. It has not worked right since I downgraded. I get a "not found" error. The icon isn't all there either, like an empty envelope. I've tried deleting and re-installing to no avail. Weird, but if this is the only thing then I'll deal with it as the browser in column view is smokin' fast. If we'd get another 6 leak or dare I wish for the verizon "official" I'd jump back up. Might anyway if I find anymore issues. Or try 975. But I do prefer the sig bar stability of 983 over 975.
    I'm having a hard time keeping up with JayDee, what'd you settle on?

working my way to 1k
    Jim,
    Funny you should mention BerryReader. I haven't put it back on my phone since all my memory woes started because I thought maybe the constant updating was a problem. But it works fine on OS6.....all flavors too cause believe me, I've had them all!

Oh to answer your question, I currently have 333/357/359 hybrid.
    I am going to install a 357/359/407 hybrid in a few days. I need a night of no upgrading to have enough time to get to the store to buy more gin!

Run, run to 1K!!!!!
    12-07-10 12:28 PM
    I've not yet installed a hybrid and actually had trouble with SCrids due to a java error. I'm sure it was installer error on my part. Is there any good tutorials around or could someone give be a basic guide line to install a hybrid?
    I start with a clean 6/333 on my pc, then D/L the hybrid file and run it. Should it install over the 333 and then install by app loader method? With SCrids I never could find it in the java folder after installing it. Like I said user error on my part probably.
    The 6/333 was a sweet ride for me , but it seemed to crash the browser sometimes, not a big deal, but it used to be fine.
    I may fiddle around with a hybrid some more. Gotta get my feet a little wetter.
    12-07-10 01:45 PM
    I've made this same point numerous times over the 9550 forums, especially with one specific dunderhead:

jaydee's case shows that all BlackBerries are not equal. And while one person's berry may not have a particular issue, that in no way means the issue doesn't exist.

I still believe that if her leak was hardware related, it would leak with OS5. I don't know that jaydee has run 333 or whatever variant she prefers, without any any apps, and then installing them one-by-one. That would be my suggestion, but that suggestion is second only to "don't worry about it".

By the way, I gave up on that argument, since the member obviously doesn't get how things really work....as evidenced by their useless, meaningless posts.
    I'm not sure that I totally agree with that, I think is is firmware that is being used differently in BB6. She didn't leak in OS5 but bleeds like a stuck pig in BB6; however, many of us running the same versons of BB6 have not experienced the leak problem, me for one.

I am contending that there is something different about the way BB6 handles memory through the firmware and it is therein that JayDee's leak is occuring. I agree that I could be all wet on this one, but based on what has take place with her phone(s) this idea makes sense to me.

I am also in the corner that says give it up for now and live with it until the official BB6 drops and then lay into the speed dial with advanced tech support.
    12-07-10 02:14 PM
    Jim,
    Funny you should mention BerryReader. I haven't put it back on my phone since all my memory woes started because I thought maybe the constant updating was a problem. But it works fine on OS6.....all flavors too cause believe me, I've had them all!

Oh to answer your question, I currently have 333/357/359 hybrid.
    I am going to install a 357/359/407 hybrid in a few days. I need a night of no upgrading to have enough time to get to the store to buy more gin!

Run, run to 1K!!!!!
    This is from SCrid? I think I will consider installing it also, since I installed .333/.357/.359 I have been having problems texting. I think that is when this started, I don't text often but had the need last few days communicating with someone who is big on texting and could not get a text to go, errored every time I tried. I think I will try this new one and see if that helps.
    12-07-10 02:18 PM
    I'm not sure that I totally agree with that, I think is is firmware that is being used differently in BB6. She didn't leak in OS5 but bleeds like a stuck pig in BB6; however, many of us running the same versons of BB6 have not experienced the leak problem, me for one.

I am contending that there is something different about the way BB6 handles memory through the firmware and it is therein that JayDee's leak is occuring. I agree that I could be all wet on this one, but based on what has take place with her phone(s) this idea makes sense to me.

I am also in the corner that says give it up for now and live with it until the official BB6 drops and then lay into the speed dial with advanced tech support.
    Firmware isn't hardware though Bob. I agree, BB6 handles memory differntly than OS5. If it were a hardware issue, wouldn't all of us have a memory leak similar to jaydees?

In any event, I think we've all done enough head scratching over this. I doubt an official BB6 will solve anything for jaydee, but at least she'll be able to call VZW.
    12-07-10 02:24 PM
    Three hours since restart. Down 19.5MB.
    This hybrid is worse than straight 333.
    Gonna change it on Thursday night unless we get another leak I'm putting on 357/359/407

Jim, I can help you with a hybrid install:

Install a CLEAN copy of 333.
    Download the java folder for the hybrid and unzip it.
    Move and replace all the contents of the java folder into the java folder of 333. This will overwrite the files.
    Use shrink if you want to.
    Then open apploader in C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe
    that's it.

If the hybrid has an installer, do the same thing except instead of COPYING AND REPLACING files, install the hybrid into THE PROPER PATH of 333 install. It will automatically install itself there and replace files for you.
    Then go on with my directions.
    BBM me if you need more please!!!
    Available anytime to help you, Jim!!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 12-07-10 at 04:28 PM.
    12-07-10 04:24 PM
    @Underway-what is that advanced tech support number again? I could use it later! Oh and I prefer Bombay Sapphire gin, not the other stuff! HAHA
    Can't you get that in the 55-gallon Costco drum?

BTW, the number for VZW advanced tech support: 8664065154
    12-07-10 04:26 PM
    Firmware isn't hardware though Bob. I agree, BB6 handles memory differntly than OS5. If it were a hardware issue, wouldn't all of us have a memory leak similar to jaydees?

In any event, I think we've all done enough head scratching over this. I doubt an official BB6 will solve anything for jaydee, but at least she'll be able to call VZW.
    True, firmware is not hardware; however, it is hardcoded routines usually on ROM (this may have changed of late but it sure used to be) and what I think is that BB6 uses some stuff not used by OS5 and that it is from there that the leak is emminating.

Official BB6 will only give her the ability to bother them until they give her a device that works, you are exactly right. The only chance that official BB6 could help her is if RIM has discovered that some devices are reacting poorly to some code and have changed the code to correct that. Slim chance.
    12-07-10 04:32 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion but this IS the second refurb from VZW.
    I am going to wait till the official hits and when it leaks, start the parade of refurb devices. And reboot in the meantime. And do you represent driphter? or just run a hybrid?
    Smart move. I don't represent Driphter in the sense that I am a mod or whatever, but I am an active member and it that sense am more then happy to promote the website. I think it's a good place to learn new stuff and ask questions without being " slaughtered" like sometimes happens here Everybody helps each other out. My phone's have run so good as on hybrids from the builders there.

@ Bodeb True, RIM will only adjust their coding if enough error reports come in. And to be honest, why would they if only a few users report this back and most don't? I am still amazed by how it's possible that certain firmware plays nice with a lot of the same type of devices and then suddenly acts weird on another device with same hardware.
    Last edited by Mistik1973; 12-08-10 at 12:12 AM.
    12-07-10 11:58 PM
    Smart move. I don't represent Driphter in the sense that I am a mod or whatever, but I am an active member and it that sense am more then happy to promote the website. I think it's a good place to learn new stuff and ask questions without being " slaughtered" like sometimes happens here Everybody helps each other out. My phone's have run so good as on hybrids from the builders there.

@ Bodeb True, RIM will only adjust their coding if enough error reports come in. And to be honest, why would they if only a few users report this back and most don't? I am still amazed by how it's possible that certain firmware plays nice with a lot of the same type of devices and then suddenly acts weird on another device with same hardware.
    Precisely my point. It not only happens on our devices but on other hardware as well. I guess it's a question of where the gremlins choose to takeup residence.
    12-08-10 07:10 AM
    Good Morning Essex Ramblers!!!

Hope everyone is well and bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
    No, my leak is still there, but I have gotten some good news. A friend who has a worse leak than mine has installed the 407 hybrid and he says it is a great improvement and the leak has slowed. So JayDee will be loading this hybrid soon...maybe tonight to give it a try! Just need to check a few comments in the thread first.

Also, for any of you who are looking for Blackberry styled wallpapers for your Baby Bold, go to Sunny's thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f123/bb...6/index58.html

At the end of the thread, the newest posts, he has some Christmas wallpapers incorporating the BB logo. If anyone is interested. You would save the FOURTH one of the series since that one is formatted to the right size for our Bolds.

Purple AND Christmas? Who can go wrong with that?
    12-08-10 08:01 AM
    Precisely my point. It not only happens on our devices but on other hardware as well. I guess it's a question of where the gremlins choose to takeup residence.
    I agree with you Bob, I made a similar assertion earlier in the thread:

12-08-10 08:09 AM
    oh and we shouold never deny it doesn't exist. Zillion posts of jaydee and others is proof enough. You can just crack your brains on why.
    12-08-10 08:34 AM
    oh and we shouold never deny it doesn't exist. Zillion posts of jaydee and others is proof enough. You can just crack your brains on why.
    +1, when I installed VZW'sa official 5.0.0.607 on mystorm2 back when it was first released, I had terrible battery drain. There was a thread in the S2 forums about it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/ho...culous-471083/

Anyway, one doofus in particular kept saying the issue was a crock, it was my apps, blah blah bah. He didn't have the issue, so it was a crock.

That kind of thinking is foolish at best!
    12-08-10 08:40 AM
    And I have to say that I know I have been complaining forever about this memory leak, but I am so appreciative that you all believe me!

And it is NOT in my head! (Cause there isn't much in there...LMAO)
    No seriously, I felt like I did something wrong, until I tried everyone's advice and the problem still didn't disappear.

I appreciate all the help though!
    Thanks everyone!
    12-08-10 08:50 AM
    Three hours since restart. Down 19.5MB.
    This hybrid is worse than straight 333.
    Gonna change it on Thursday night unless we get another leak I'm putting on 357/359/407

Jim, I can help you with a hybrid install:

Install a CLEAN copy of 333.
    Download the java folder for the hybrid and unzip it.
    Move and replace all the contents of the java folder into the java folder of 333. This will overwrite the files.
    Use shrink if you want to.
    Then open apploader in C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe
    that's it.

If the hybrid has an installer, do the same thing except instead of COPYING AND REPLACING files, install the hybrid into THE PROPER PATH of 333 install. It will automatically install itself there and replace files for you.
    Then go on with my directions.
    BBM me if you need more please!!!
    Available anytime to help you, Jim!!!!
    Thanks for your offer of assistance JayDee. I had trouble a couple times previously getting the java files moved. I'm rockin' 983 and really liking the browser with the column view so I'll probably hang with it for awhile, maybe till the next leak. This browser runs circles around web kit for my usage anyway. I just do not get the web kit hype. the rest of 6 is great.
    Keep plugging those leaks and keep the G+T's comin'
    12-08-10 09:55 AM
    Thanks for your offer of assistance JayDee. I had trouble a couple times previously getting the java files moved. I'm rockin' 983 and really liking the browser with the column view so I'll probably hang with it for awhile, maybe till the next leak. This browser runs circles around web kit for my usage anyway. I just do not get the web kit hype. the rest of 6 is great.Keep plugging those leaks and keep the G+T's comin'
    I have to admit that I don't quite get the Webkit hype either. Perhaps it's better if it runs on a bigger screen, but I just don't do much surfing on my 2.4-inch screen. I really like most of the other OS6 features, but I'm thinking that the Webkit browser (probably one of the biggest-cited improvements for OS6) by itself isn't a reason to upgrade. I tried loading the latest Bolt browser, but the page layouts don't typically come up any different than they do with the Webkit browser.

Is there any way to make the browser default to requesting a mobile version of a web site? Does the Webkit browser identify itself as a mobile browser? If not, can it be changed? I don't dislike the Webkit browser enough to revert to OS5, but I'm hoping that this browser is not the finished product.
    12-08-10 11:31 AM
    I have to admit that I don't quite get the Webkit hype either. Perhaps it's better if it runs on a bigger screen, but I just don't do much surfing on my 2.4-inch screen. I really like most of the other OS6 features, but I'm thinking that the Webkit browser (probably one of the biggest-cited improvements for OS6) by itself isn't a reason to upgrade. I tried loading the latest Bolt browser, but the page layouts don't typically come up any different than they do with the Webkit browser.

Is there any way to make the browser default to requesting a mobile version of a web site? Does the Webkit browser identify itself as a mobile browser? If not, can it be changed? I don't dislike the Webkit browser enough to revert to OS5, but I'm hoping that this browser is not the finished product.
    Not certain, but I think some sites detect a mobile device and thus load the mobile site page. I get both which makes me think this. AFAIK there is no browser setting to change to force it.
    As far as the webkit getting better it will most certainly get upgrades and tweaks as all mobile os's do over the months. However, I don't see anything changing that much other than subtle refinements perhaps. I tried a "style" which came preloaded with 6 and it's browser was virtually the exact same experience as we have with 6 on our bolds. Anyone holding out for a column view option will be disappointed. The speed and other things were on a par with the current 6/333. So little tweaks, of course, but nothing more imho.
    I browse various forums alot and the using the webkit was like pulling teeth. the 5's browser in column seemingly could load the same page 4 or 5 times before the webkit gets it done once. My opinion only. Why everybody loves/raves about it I have no clue.
    12-08-10 11:56 AM
    Good Morning Essex Ramblers!!!

Hope everyone is well and bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
    No, my leak is still there, but I have gotten some good news. A friend who has a worse leak than mine has installed the 407 hybrid and he says it is a great improvement and the leak has slowed. So JayDee will be loading this hybrid soon...maybe tonight to give it a try! Just need to check a few comments in the thread first.

Also, for any of you who are looking for Blackberry styled wallpapers for your Baby Bold, go to Sunny's thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f123/bb...6/index58.html

At the end of the thread, the newest posts, he has some Christmas wallpapers incorporating the BB logo. If anyone is interested. You would save the FOURTH one of the series since that one is formatted to the right size for our Bolds.

Purple AND Christmas? Who can go wrong with that?
    The .407 hybrid is loading on my Baby Bold as I type this. I'm hoping that it will fix my SMS problem that developed with the installation of the latest .357 w/.359.

I'll let you guys know what I see once I get it done. Wish me luck...
    12-08-10 05:41 PM
    I'll be anxious to see how you like 407 Bob. I was about to load when I posted in Scrid's thread and he told me to wait. He is going to compile a 333/380/407 for me because of my many many complaints....
    No he is going to compile it because he likes to compile hybrids, I guess. He said wait a bit so I will try the next incarnation of it!

All I want for Christmas is my leak to go away....

8 hours...-27.MB
    I find myself a little more at ease however, since I dumped Meterberry. That little chip always in the RED got my blood boiling...
    12-08-10 05:56 PM
23,186 ... 327328329330331 ...