I have been out of it (don't ask) for a bit - Jaydee - you are still having memory problems and if I recall, you got a "new" Bold and it still has these problems? Odd to say the least (and I'm sure you've had more to say).

I'm on the official Verizon OS. What I find strange is I can go for a day or two with battery drops of about 1.3%/hour (meterberry) and then suddenly have drops of over 4% per hour. Last night I noticed the yellow/orange battery symbol in Meterberry and so opened it up - 48 hours, 1.3% and the battery was still 55%. Other days I'm off the charger in the morning and down to 23 percent that same evening.

And there is generally no change in my routine and/or locations.
    What is the chance that vzw is having tower problems and your device is struggling to get you a good signal, this is known to desimate batteries.

When you are loosing battery quickly have you checked to see what is running that might be impacting your battery?

I ask these questions because I have had severe battery problems to the point that I purchased a 2600 battery, problem solved.
    12-04-10 02:11 PM
    @F2-how well you know me! LOL
    I've had plenty to say. Yes, new device (well, refurb) and still memory bleed. PS Glad you found your way off that snow-covered mountain!

@Underway-I think all languages, VZW pushed junk, VZnav, city id, vcast crap, maps, app world, application center, setup wizard, password keeper, all games, all social networking except BBM, those are the things I normally shrink out. Is it better to leave some of that stuff on and then DELETE them AFTER install? Either by cods or by choosing DELETE?
    I think I would agree with Underway on the app cntr, also question why get rid of the device setup.

I'd probably keep the application center because I think it's integrated into OS6 now. Yo can probably dump the rest. I won't hurt to leave the language files and such onboard, then let the OS startup routine dump the unused languages. As to the rest, delete them after you have a stable-running OS.

BTW, I found a way to disable third-party apps from automatically starting at boot-up. Remember Windows Safe Mode? OS6 has that, too. Here's how (mostly quoted from the onboard OS6 help):

1. Pull and install battery.
    2. When the red LED goes out, press and hold ESCAPE key as the device is loading.
    3. When the dialog appears, hit OK.

When safe mode is on, a safe mode indicator appears in the device status section of the Home screen. To turn off safe mode, do a battery pull.

You might try the safe mode trick first, and see if you can isolate any of your memory offenders. Then look at loading the OS again.
    I had seen the safe mode thing somewhere else, appreciate the reminder.

I think this may be a way for JayDee to determine if her leaks are BB6 or 3rd party apps. I would take the position that if they are BB6 they are most probably firmware related but could be hardware. In either case she needs to create a ruckus with vzw and get a new device as soon as official comes out and she has a chance to verify the problem has not gone away. By the way, JayDee, you might use the Safe Mode trick after official release and tell them that you know the problem is not 3rd party apps, as they will undoutedly try to tell you, because you used safe mode to verify that the problem existed with no 3rd party apps running. That should remove pretty much all their avenues of escape.
    12-04-10 02:19 PM
    Underway and Bob,
    Thank you for the ideas!
    Bob, I was thinking of selective startup in msconfig when you mentioned a way to turn off those auto-starting apps. And Underway found SAFE MODE!!!!

I am using it now. Booted into safe mode. Only 37 instead of 49 apps start up. Of course, no Meterberry so I will check options for the totals. I only need one app this afternoon and evening, and I have already checked that it works in safe mode so I am good to try this experiment for a while.

Interestingly enough, my phone drops -2 the first 30 mins. and then 6, 7, or 8 more the next 30 mins. It has been a regular pattern. Of course, if it does NOT occur now...it's an app. If it does....hoo boy! I don't wanna think about it!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. How many BB users can say they boot in safe mode? HAHAHAHAHAHA...we're such geeks!

Will post again later.
    12-04-10 02:36 PM
    Underway and Bob,
    Thank you for the ideas!
    Bob, I was thinking of selective startup in msconfig when you mentioned a way to turn off those auto-starting apps. And Underway found SAFE MODE!!!!

I am using it now. Booted into safe mode. Only 37 instead of 49 apps start up. Of course, no Meterberry so I will check options for the totals. I only need one app this afternoon and evening, and I have already checked that it works in safe mode so I am good to try this experiment for a while.

Interestingly enough, my phone drops -2 the first 30 mins. and then 6, 7, or 8 more the next 30 mins. It has been a regular pattern. Of course, if it does NOT occur now...it's an app. If it does....hoo boy! I don't wanna think about it!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. How many BB users can say they boot in safe mode? HAHAHAHAHAHA...we're such geeks!

Will post again later.
    Remember that "What's Running" app that I called eye candy? Run that from the home screen, then make it show all apps. Find MeterBerry and run it. If you get the Java error, run the other MeterBerry app on the list. Then, you can monitor your memory usage. Start apps one at a time from the What's Running app to see what kills your phone.
    12-04-10 02:42 PM
    OK guys...it's definitely NOT an app!!!
    After 10 min...-2.4
    after 20 mins...-2.4 no change

so I'm thinking ok we got this!
    after 30 mins...-7.3MB

I'm a gonna watch it for another 30 minutes, then reboot normally and enjoy my evening. I'm going to a Christmas Concert and show by the Albany Symphony Orchestra and I need my Scoremobile to keep track of AUBURN!!!!!

Screw my phone...POS.
    Gotta be OS or hardware.
    12-04-10 03:22 PM
    After 10 min...-2.4

after 30 mins...-7.3MB

I'm a gonna watch it for another 30 minutes, then reboot normally and enjoy my evening. I'm going to a Christmas Concert and show by the Albany Symphony Orchestra and I need my Scoremobile to keep track of AUBURN!!!!!

Screw my phone...POS.
    Gotta be OS or hardware.
    Since you now know it's not apps, are you going to use straight 333 or bite the bullet and load 975? Remember themes?!
    Last edited by Underway99; 12-04-10 at 04:15 PM.
    12-04-10 04:13 PM
    Since you now know it's not apps, are you going to use straight 333 or bite the bullet and load 975? Remember themes?!
    No sticking with 6!!!!

but another half hour has gone by and it has stabilized at -6.2MB

Hmmmmm

maybe it's done dropping? I will watch tonight.
    12-04-10 04:21 PM
    After 10 min...-2.4

after 30 mins...-7.3MB

Screw my phone...POS.
    Gotta be OS or hardware.
    What is a confirmed YANKEE doing watching SEC football?
    12-04-10 04:31 PM
    Gotta see who's going to get beat by Oregon...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-10 04:54 PM
    Gotta see who's going to get beat by Oregon...

I have a sneaking suspicion she has motives different from yours!
    12-04-10 06:28 PM
    Bob, I'm watching the best college team in the nation and I'm a fan because a very close friend of mine attended Auburn and he introduced me to college ball. So War Eagle! LOL

Who's Oregon?

Anyway...my phone. 3 hours my phone held steady at about -5.3MB.
    Then I added back BerryWeather and in an hour's time it dropped to -18MB.
    I guess I found the problem. Now before you say but "I use it and it doesn't do that to my phone", let me tell you. I use a whole bunch of user created icons sets in berryweather made by people on these forums. I do not use the icon set that came with the app. So maybe that is the problem. Still in safe mode, I deleted BeWeather. Then I restarted the phone in normal mode...without BeWeather. It was still dropping slowly and I never did give it a proper trial because I'm gonna run BeWeather even if it IS causing a memory leak. So basically, even though I think I have the answer, it does me no good cause I'm gonna run it anyway.

Oh and even though I was in Safe Mode, QL was still working because I took a screen shot with QL.
    Maybe tomorrow, while at home, I will delete BeWeather first, boot to Safe Mode again, and then add back other apps to test.
    12-04-10 10:02 PM
    Bob, I'm watching the best college team in the nation and I'm a fan because a very close friend of mine attended Auburn and he introduced me to college ball. So War Eagle! LOL

Who's Oregon?

Anyway...my phone. 3 hours my phone held steady at about -5.3MB.
    Then I added back BerryWeather and in an hour's time it dropped to -18MB.
    I guess I found the problem. Now before you say but "I use it and it doesn't do that to my phone", let me tell you. I use a whole bunch of user created icons sets in berryweather made by people on these forums. I do not use the icon set that came with the app. So maybe that is the problem. Still in safe mode, I deleted BeWeather. Then I restarted the phone in normal mode...without BeWeather. It was still dropping slowly and I never did give it a proper trial because I'm gonna run BeWeather even if it IS causing a memory leak. So basically, even though I think I have the answer, it does me no good cause I'm gonna run it anyway.

Oh and even though I was in Safe Mode, QL was still working because I took a screen shot with QL.
    Maybe tomorrow, while at home, I will delete BeWeather first, boot to Safe Mode again, and then add back other apps to test.
    My family is from Louisiana, so I would pull for the other tigers normally; however, since Auburn is doing so well this year I guess it is "Go Tigers" instead of "Geaux Tigers". Not being that big a football fan, I don't really follow it a whole lot. I'm a bit of a Longhorn fan, kind of by default for these reasons:
    1. I'm an investor in UT, my wife and I graduated (read spent a ton of money for that to happen) her son from there.
    2. He married a girl who also graduated from there.
    3. My wife works for an industry group that operates under the auspicees of the UT College of Engineering.
    What choice do I have? As a result, I have a lot of fun with it. My golf cart is very close to UT burnt orange, I have a UT Longhorns logo'd golf bag with some UT head covers and on Friday before a game I deck out in UT colors to play golf with the men's golf association at our club.

However, I went to school in Louisiana, attended what is now Univ of LA Lafayette and got my degree from Nichols State Univ. so my roots are in LA and I am a full blooded cajun. Soooo, I do sometimes pull for LA teams and also of course for the SEC. FWIW.

Now, why not install BW with the "stock" icons and see if that makes a difference. You are right, I do run BW and don't loose mem but we have had that discussion. The discussion right now is how do we get your Baby to quit leaking memory or at least slow it down to where you can get better use/enjoyment form it. If you re-install with stock icons and that fixes the problem you might make it known to the icon set developers that their icons are causing problems in hopes that they can find out why and fix the problem.

This being the case, I doubt that vzw would replace the phone after official due to mem leaks caused by BWs user created icon sets.

OK, this one really is rambling; but then again this is the rambling thread...
    12-04-10 10:56 PM
    +1 on running BW with stock icons. Maybe you've found a fault in the icon toolset. I wonder if this whole thing could really be so simple...

12-04-10 11:41 PM
    Bob, Nice to hear a native SEC or Southern born and bred guy isn't gonna kick me out of the fanbase. I am an all NFL fan...or was...until two years ago when I started cheering for Auburn. What a time to be a fan, huh? My friend is not surprised I have the same passion for the Tigers as I do for my other team...

As for my phone, I restarted this morning with the default iconset for BerryWeather. But alas, after an hour and a half...I'm down 8.5MB.

I dunno. Maybe it's BeWeather altogether?
    Or maybe it's just my hardware. I am thinking about Willyboys 8.2 hybrid. Or I have a clean copy of 333 that Paul sent me. Maybe just not shrinking 333 would be a good think to try. I'm so confused...
    12-05-10 07:25 AM
    Bob, Nice to hear a native SEC or Southern born and bred guy isn't gonna kick me out of the fanbase. I am an all NFL fan...or was...until two years ago when I started cheering for Auburn. What a time to be a fan, huh? My friend is not surprised I have the same passion for the Tigers as I do for my other team...

As for my phone, I restarted this morning with the default iconset for BerryWeather. But alas, after an hour and a half...I'm down 8.5MB.

I dunno. Maybe it's BeWeather altogether?
    Or maybe it's just my hardware. I am thinking about Willyboys 8.2 hybrid. Or I have a clean copy of 333 that Paul sent me. Maybe just not shrinking 333 would be a good think to try. I'm so confused...
    This really is strange, I've been up 38 hours and have lost 1.3 MB, go figure. I'm at my whits end to understand what is going on with your Baby Bold, there has to be an explanation, I sure wish we could figure it out. At least if we knew what was causing the problem even if it could not be fixed that would certainly help.

I would suggest that you go with .333 and shrink out only the languages and vzw pushed CrApps. It will make for a larger install but you've got the memory to handle it. I would also suggest that you don't load any 3rd party apps for several hours, even over night if you can wait that long and see how it performs. I would probably do at least one bat pull shortly after completing the load and then let is sit and see what happens. Don't even load MB, use the native features to see what memory does.
    12-05-10 10:05 AM
    I'd probably keep the application center because I think it's integrated into OS6 now.
    Why doesn't install by default then? I don't have app center on my BB6 install, and I didn't remove it. The only things I made sure didn't install is the extra language crap, and the useless Help app.

This really is strange, I've been up 38 hours and have lost 1.3 MB, go figure. I'm at my whits end to understand what is going on with your Baby Bold, there has to be an explanation, I sure wish we could figure it out. At least if we knew what was causing the problem even if it could not be fixed that would certainly help.

I would suggest that you go with .333 and shrink out only the languages and vzw pushed CrApps. It will make for a larger install but you've got the memory to handle it. I would also suggest that you don't load any 3rd party apps for several hours, even over night if you can wait that long and see how it performs. I would probably do at least one bat pull shortly after completing the load and then let is sit and see what happens. Don't even load MB, use the native features to see what memory does.
    +1, my uptime is about 3 days now, and I'm down 2.2MB. I've suggested several times to run just the OS without any apps to see what issues are native to the OS itself. I'm relying less and less on MeterBerry, something just seems a little wonky about it under BB6.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-05-10 at 10:17 AM.
    12-05-10 10:13 AM
    Why doesn't install by default then? I don't have app center on my BB6 install, and I didn't remove it. The only things I made sure didn't install is the extra language crap, and the useless Help app
    I did not shrink out the application center, but it is not loaded as a separate application on my phone. The Application Management applet in OPTIONS gives much of the same functionality. Not knowing if BBSHRINK had been coded to recognize the new OS with it's potentially new CODs and such, I was not sure if BBSHRINK would remove something that the applet would need. I have been very careful not to take too much away -- just languages and the VZW stuff. Most of what I've deleted has been uninstalled from the phone with BBSAK after I load the OS.

+1 on your MeterBerry observation. I can't put my finger on just what's different, and the developer has said that MB is OS6-compatible, but I've wondered if it's giving me the true story of how my phone is running. Was MB intended to be used continuously? As I understand it, MB is a great tool for troubleshooting, but do we necessarily need continuous monitoring?
    Last edited by Underway99; 12-05-10 at 12:12 PM.
    12-05-10 12:07 PM
    Thanks for your patience with me Bob and Underway. I appreciate all the suggestions and help you've given me in trying to troubleshoot this problem. I thought in safe mode I had it conquered but not to be.

I am reinstalling straight 333 and just doing a light shrink for a change. I can wait until tonight to add back some apps. I want to see if regular 333 will work for me before I move to another hybrid. Yes, I found another one I can try but I'll do this first.

Will keep you posted.

Underway, is there a list of cods I can remove as I want to delete crap? I mean, I know which cods to delete for the useless video but for other things I mean...like maps, ota upgrade, password keeper, blab blab....
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 12-05-10 at 12:47 PM.
    12-05-10 12:29 PM
    Thanks for your patience with me Bob and Underway. I appreciate all the suggestions and help you've given me in trying to troubleshoot this problem. I thought in safe mode I had it conquered but not to be.

I am reinstalling straight 333 and just doing a light shrink for a change. I can wait until tonight to add back some apps. I want to see if regular 333 will work for me before I move to another hybrid. Yes, I found another one I can try but I'll do this first.

Will keep you posted.
    Whoa -- another hybrid? Share? What does it fix?
    12-05-10 12:44 PM
    What is the chance that vzw is having tower problems and your device is struggling to get you a good signal, this is known to desimate batteries.

When you are loosing battery quickly have you checked to see what is running that might be impacting your battery?

I ask these questions because I have had severe battery problems to the point that I purchased a 2600 battery, problem solved.
    That was what I was thinking - bad reception causing power-draining searches. But as indicated, routines and locations have generally been similar. I was wondering if Rim's Twitter app might be the cause but it was running that 48 hours with 1.3 drain - so no particular problem. Berryweather is also always on. So it could be signal issues - I think Seattle may be one of Verizons "4g" test markets so maybe they are messing with the towers.

Contrary to popular belief I was not buried in a snow cave under a high mountain peak with no reception - though when I am, I try to remember to turn off the connections in advance. Because, yes, hiking or skiing in this area revolves around getting off the main corridors with high peaks that block reception. Although a few weeks ago, when I did forget to turn off the connections, the phone rang in the middle of nowhere - it was a wrong number!

Again, I'm still on OS 5 but I rarely even check memory anymore unlike with my Tour and the even older 8830. I do have a dictionary program that loads on bootup that canNOT be exited/closed - irritating and I wrote to them and complained. It does have a close/exit menu item but it fails to do either.
    12-05-10 12:47 PM
    Whoa -- another hybrid? Share? What does it fix?
    Yes, BDHP v 4.0
    over a base of 333 with files of 344 and 357
    A friend of mine on BBM who is also having a lot of trouble with leaks said his has not leaked in 12 hours on this hybrid.

Was thinking of trying it if straight 333 doesn't work.
    12-05-10 12:54 PM
    That was what I was thinking - bad reception causing power-draining searches. But as indicated, routines and locations have generally been similar. I was wondering if Rim's Twitter app might be the cause but it was running that 48 hours with 1.3 drain - so no particular problem. Berryweather is also always on. So it could be signal issues - I think Seattle may be one of Verizons "4g" test markets so maybe they are messing with the towers.

Contrary to popular belief I was not buried in a snow cave under a high mountain peak with no reception - though when I am, I try to remember to turn off the connections in advance. Because, yes, hiking or skiing in this area revolves around getting off the main corridors with high peaks that block reception. Although a few weeks ago, when I did forget to turn off the connections, the phone rang in the middle of nowhere - it was a wrong number!

Again, I'm still on OS 5 but I rarely even check memory anymore unlike with my Tour and the even older 8830. I do have a dictionary program that loads on bootup that canNOT be exited/closed - irritating and I wrote to them and complained. It does have a close/exit menu item but it fails to do either.
    If they are tinkering with the towers in your area, Lord only knows what they are doing or what kind of service impact they could cause. My undertanding is that LTE will coexist with 3G so my expectation would be that they will mount the devices on the same towers and possibly share some of the equipment, who would know. You might have MB monitor your signal for a while and see if there are any big dipps that show up.

If they are screwing with the towers, you can only hope that they hurry and get it done and leave your towers alone after that...
    12-05-10 12:58 PM
    Yes, BDHP v 4.0
    over a base of 333 with files of 344 and 357
    A friend of mine on BBM who is also having a lot of trouble with leaks said his has not leaked in 12 hours on this hybrid.

Was thinking of trying it if straight 333 doesn't work.
    I think this was SCrid's approach prior to using the .359 files for the one that I am now running. Seems as I saw where it was laggy or something. I'll try and find his comments on it and let you know.
    12-05-10 01:02 PM
    I had read the same thing. I downloaded that one, but did not install it. Lag, however, is not your immediate concern. If your friend says that it fixed his memory leak, then it might be worth trying. I still think that your best bet is the straight 333. Good luck.

12-05-10 01:12 PM
    I had read the same thing. I downloaded that one, but did not install it. Lag, however, is not your immediate concern. If your friend says that it fixed his memory leak, then it might be worth trying. I still think that your best bet is the straight 333. Good luck.

Totally agree this is not an immediate concern, just wanted her to have the info incase she found it she would not be surprised. I'm with you on the .333, that one seems to be the best base BB6 as best I can tell.
    12-05-10 01:21 PM
23,186 ... 323324325326327 ...