Playing golf huh?? We have a winter weather advisory for tonight and tomorrow with 4-6 inches of snow coming!
    12-03-10 07:58 AM
    Does anyone here know how the "Top Posters" list works?? My posting had been pretty much nil for a week or so, but got back on the horse earlier this week. Now I'm second to pkcable in the list.

I've been tearing up the Storm2 forum over VZW's latest bowl of hash: 9550 - 5.0.0.1015
    12-03-10 08:31 AM
    Does anyone here know how the "Top Posters" list works?? My posting had been pretty much nil for a week or so, but got back on the horse earlier this week. Now I'm second to pkcable in the list.

I've been tearing up the Storm2 forum over VZW's latest bowl of hash: 9550 - 5.0.0.1015
    I don't know but I think the poster with the biggest loud mouth goes to the top of the list!

....oh, is that YOU???
    12-03-10 08:32 AM
    I don't know but I think the poster with the biggest loud mouth goes to the top of the list!

....oh, is that YOU???
    Ummm, I don't know about loudest, but for a while there I was the brashest!!!! LOL

You should remember because you were one of my minions!!!

12-03-10 08:37 AM
    Ummm, I don't know about loudest, but for a while there I was the brashest!!!! LOL

You should remember because you were one of my minions!!!

HAHA...that's right, Oh Great Leader of the Pack!
    hahahahahahahahahaha
    I actually liked it when we were evil lol
    12-03-10 09:03 AM
    hahahahahahahahahaha
    Yes, good times, jaydee, good times! I'm not going hybrid on my Bold, I'm waiting for the next leak. Storm2's latest bag of mess may get a test drive this weekend.
    12-03-10 09:13 AM
    Underway, you are running straight 333?
    Same here....Bob, it's that one or second lag between clicking on the notification bar and it actually dropping down. The Manage Connections bar (very top with the date, time and connection icons) does the same thing. It's been in all 3 leaks.
    JayDee, I am running straight 333. I tried Willyboy's 8.1 and 8.2, a few others that I found at DCOM, the full 357 Java, and Scrid's earlier 333/344/357 hybrid. I haven't tried Scrid's new one yet. None worked as well on my machine as the straight 333. FWIW, I loaded 333 on my wife's new Bold the day she got it (Monday), and she's lost 0.5MB of memory. She's on it a whole lot more that I use mine, too. Go figure.

As to the lag, it mostly seems to happen (on both Bolds, BTW) the first time that I hit the notfication bar after I reboot. It's almost like it has to load the instruction the first time, then caches it for later use. I don't like it, but I can live with it because the thing otherwise runs so well.
    Last edited by Underway99; 12-03-10 at 11:16 AM.
    12-03-10 10:37 AM
    Hey Bob, Congrats on your 1,000th post and your Master status. I've been working alot lately and just noticed it.
    Thanks Prince.
    12-03-10 01:47 PM
    hahahahahahahahahaha
    Yeah, and you two sucked a few others of us into that pack as well.

But, it's OK since those jacka$$e$ needed a dressing down. They have been very quiet of late.
    12-03-10 01:52 PM
    OK, here goes! I'm going to setup and load SCrid's latest hybrid. Wish me luck!
    12-03-10 01:53 PM
    Yeah, and you two sucked a few others of us into that pack as well.

But, it's OK since those jacka$$e$ needed a dressing down. They have been very quiet of late.
    Sucked in??? lol, I don't recall putting a gun to your head , but you're right, the dressing down wasn't totally unwarranted, and it's been a nicer place as of late.
    12-03-10 02:22 PM
    Hey jd have u checked out the new app what's running on my phone? It's listed on the front page of the cb blog and it seems like a very useful app that can help u figure out you'd memory leak issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-10 07:12 PM
    Hey jd have u checked out the new app what's running on my phone? It's listed on the front page of the cb blog and it seems like a very useful app that can help u figure out you'd memory leak issues.

Thanks for the heads up RR!!!
    I just bought it and am waiting for the download link to install. I think I will give it a try tonight and see what happens.
    12-03-10 07:18 PM

I have it, and while it's a good way to see just what's running and what is installed, you're left on your own when it comes to deciding what to do with the information. I have found no way within the app to see just what resources are being used. You can delete an app or COD, but cannot always identify any other dependencies. It looks nice, but appears to be eye-candy.
    12-03-10 07:23 PM
    Sucked in??? lol, I don't recall putting a gun to your head , but you're right, the dressing down wasn't totally unwarranted, and it's been a nicer place as of late.
    Nah, no gun. Just a case of RA at the way you were treated with the suspension and all. When I saw a subsequent post, after you were on vacation..., I let loose on them as well. Posts got deleted, at least mine did, and JayDee informed us that the mods were watching us.

Post in question was belittling someone for no reason at all other than they didn't agree with them.
    12-03-10 07:26 PM
    Back up, everything seems to be OK. I'm going to do a bat pull and go eat dinner, then I'll see how things are going. I'll post more later.
    12-03-10 07:28 PM
    Did a bat pull, device seems to be running OK. I have 255 MB of free memory, I shrunk the install down to about 202 MB, don't think I can get it much smaller without loosing valuable stuff.

I've been back up for about 20 minutes, lost about 0.6 MB of mem. Bat pull took a little less than 4 min.

I've started several apps, pretty snappy, pertty similar to .333 & .357. Browser seems a little better but still hangs as it gets to about 75% of the way through the rendering process, no change there.

So far so good.
    12-03-10 08:12 PM
    OK so I installed and am running the "What's Running in my Phone " app.
    Do you know I have 49 apps running?
    Holy computer malfunction, Batman!

So, I was able to force delete some apps but can't tell how much memory the running apps are taking up. But you know what? I didn't realize that certain apps are running with the phone from start up...like Zona Snap, Slacker, Poynt, Fancy Characters, bluetooth, Reminders???? what's that?

And how can I keep these apps without having them run auto at startup???
    12-03-10 08:40 PM
    OK so I installed and am running the "What's Running in my Phone " app.
    Do you know I have 49 apps running?
    Holy computer malfunction, Batman!

So, I was able to force delete some apps but can't tell how much memory the running apps are taking up. But you know what? I didn't realize that certain apps are running with the phone from start up...like Zona Snap, Slacker, Poynt, Fancy Characters, bluetooth, Reminders???? what's that?

And how can I keep these apps without having them run auto at startup???
    I wonder if the BB OS has a file similar to the one that Windows has/used to have that dictates what runs at startup. There are tons of apps in the Win world that will set themselves up to auto start. There was an app that you could run and un-check the apps that you didn't want to auto start at boot. Its been so long that I can't remember the name of the app or how to start it, and I think that most if not all of that function has passed on to the Registry.

My $.02 fwiw.
    12-03-10 10:43 PM
    Good morning Ramblers.

Well my Baby Bold made it through the night in fine form. It lost a whopping .05 MB of memory since the last bat pull at about 7:30pm. Everything still seems to run fine except for the lag in page rendering on the cloud.

Just for grins, I looked at my signal log to see what my signal had been doing. It has been pretty steady at about -98 db all night long, that I think is better than I had been getting. I must admit that I have not watched the log much since I installed .357 originally and even .333, so it may have been better since then. I still only show 2 or maybe 3 bars on the signal meter but I don't think I see as much fluctuation as I was seeing when I first got my Baby Bold, that would be an improvement and would save some battery. (Not that I need it since I put the 2600 in the device)

I'll report again later, have a terrific day!
    12-04-10 08:53 AM
    Good morning Ramblers.

Well my Baby Bold made it through the night in fine form. It lost a whopping .05 MB of memory since the last bat pull at about 7:30pm. Everything still seems to run fine except for the lag in page rendering on the cloud.

Just for grins, I looked at my signal log to see what my signal had been doing. It has been pretty steady at about -98 db all night long, that I think is better than I had been getting. I must admit that I have not watched the log much since I installed .357 originally and even .333, so it may have been better since then. I still only show 2 or maybe 3 bars on the signal meter but I don't think I see as much fluctuation as I was seeing when I first got my Baby Bold, that would be an improvement and would save some battery. (Not that I need it since I put the 2600 in the device)

I'll report again later, have a terrific day!
    Bob, you said you have not dropped any memory during the night. But then again, your Bold has never had that problem. I don't think I am going to bother to move to this hybrid because more than likely, I will still experience memory leaks since that is what my phone does with OS6. I can't see the addition of .359 files making any difference for me. My signal and battery life have always been fine so there's nothing for me to gain there.

I suppose I will continue to reboot two to three times a day and wait for the official 6. And get another Bold when that comes out because it will leak... only thing I haven't tried is straight 333 with no shrinking but with the memory loss I experience, and no shrinking, I will be down quite a bit by the end of the day...That might be my next experiment if I feel like it.

Thanks for the info.
    12-04-10 09:48 AM
    I have been out of it (don't ask) for a bit - Jaydee - you are still having memory problems and if I recall, you got a "new" Bold and it still has these problems? Odd to say the least (and I'm sure you've had more to say).

I'm on the official Verizon OS. What I find strange is I can go for a day or two with battery drops of about 1.3%/hour (meterberry) and then suddenly have drops of over 4% per hour. Last night I noticed the yellow/orange battery symbol in Meterberry and so opened it up - 48 hours, 1.3% and the battery was still 55%. Other days I'm off the charger in the morning and down to 23 percent that same evening.

And there is generally no change in my routine and/or locations.
    12-04-10 11:19 AM
    JayDee,

It's probably OK to shrink out the language files, VZW-specific stuff and such, but not much else for now.

At least OS6, since it has no themes yet, is easy to reconfigure after a reload. No having to start from scratch with theme settings.
    12-04-10 11:19 AM
    I have been out of it (don't ask) for a bit - Jaydee - you are still having memory problems and if I recall, you got a "new" Bold and it still has these problems? Odd to say the least (and I'm sure you've had more to say).
    JayDee,

It's probably OK to shrink out the language files, VZW-specific stuff and such, but not much else for now.

At least OS6, since it has no themes yet, is easy to reconfigure after a reload. No having to start from scratch with theme settings.
    @F2-how well you know me! LOL
    I've had plenty to say. Yes, new device (well, refurb) and still memory bleed. PS Glad you found your way off that snow-covered mountain!

@Underway-I think all languages, VZW pushed junk, VZnav, city id, vcast crap, maps, app world, application center, setup wizard, password keeper, all games, all social networking except BBM, those are the things I normally shrink out. Is it better to leave some of that stuff on and then DELETE them AFTER install? Either by cods or by choosing DELETE?
    12-04-10 11:40 AM
    @Underway-I think all languages, VZW pushed junk, VZnav, city id, vcast crap, maps, app world, application center, setup wizard, password keeper, all games, all social networking except BBM, those are the things I normally shrink out. Is it better to leave some of that stuff on and then DELETE them AFTER install? Either by cods or by choosing DELETE?
    I'd probably keep the application center because I think it's integrated into OS6 now. You can probably dump the rest. It won't hurt to leave the language files and such onboard, then let the OS startup routine dump the unused languages. As to the rest, delete them after you have a stable-running OS.

BTW, I found a way to disable third-party apps from automatically starting at boot-up. Remember Windows Safe Mode? OS6 has that, too. Here's how (mostly quoted from the onboard OS6 help):

1. Pull and install battery.
    2. When the red LED goes out, press and hold ESCAPE key as the device is loading (yes, the whole time).
    3. When the dialog appears, hit OK.

When safe mode is on, a safe mode indicator appears in the device status section of the Home screen. To turn off safe mode, do a battery pull.

You might try the safe mode trick first, and see if you can isolate any of your memory offenders. Then look at loading the OS again.
    Last edited by Underway99; 12-04-10 at 02:28 PM.
    12-04-10 01:53 PM
23,186 ... 322323324325326 ...