Hi to all the "ramblers" out there. I'm still road trippin' , but thought I'd pause for a check-in. I'm surprised to see jaydee still having issues with her bold, and the replacement at that. What the heck gives? Still losing memory? My 333 os has been really solid. It is so curious why some have such issues with it and some do not. If I lose 1mb in 24 hrs. it would be unusual. I reboot every morning usually although on this trip I must confess I have failed to remember to reboot and I have suffered no ill effects. I dunno, but hope you get it worked out.
    I had thanksgiving with my daughter and her hubby, then helped them with a move to San Antonio, in the great state of Texas.(gettin' close to Bob country, I know) He is going to be under going some intensive training at Fort Sam Houston for the next 18 months. San Antonio is a great city. We had a wonderful time looking around and site seeing while taking a break from other chores. I'm in Albuquerque right now staying with the kid for awhile longer. She has a place outside of the city and we're investigating what needs to be done to shut it completely down for an extended period of time as the real estate market is so crapped out, selling is not an option right now.
    I'm surprised that the next leak for the bold has not dropped yet. Funny, but before I left for the road, I went back to 5 because I thought it would be better for road operations(yeah, go figure) and both my files of 975 and 983 were somehow messed up, corrupted or something, but they did not work at all. I jumped back to 333 and am in a good spot again. Those fives must have gotten worn out from all the continuous reloads I had done in the past. !
    Anyway , I was kinda hoping that the next leak would be ready to load by the time I got back home, although not sure when that may be, but maybe still eh?
    I hope everybody had a great holiday and JayDee, I hope you get your memory issue figured out. I've been missing you "ramblers". I'll have some catching up to do. Gotta go,
    Ciao all,
    Last edited by cbreze; 11-28-10 at 09:09 AM.
    11-28-10 09:06 AM
    Jim,
    Great to hear from you!!!!
    Glad you are enjoying your travels and your family! We miss you on the boards and will be happy when you are safe at home and posting again with us.

My memory problem is a mystery for science...LOL I am having a good time, (although frustrated), figuring it out. I too was hoping for another leak but seeing as we haven't gotten that yet...i may try another hybrid. You know me. I say I don't like change and then I try every hybrid out there. lol

Hope to hear from you again soon. And really? Back to 5 again?
    Shame on you! If I can stick to 6 with all my troubles...lol
    11-28-10 09:26 AM
    Just the first two screens of my event log. What's all this mean?

#BlackBerry Event Log (cpt)

#HwID: 0x7001504

#DPIN:
    #PVer: 4.4.0.234

#AVer: 6.0.0.357

a System - JVM:INFOp= ,a='6.0.0.357',o='4.4.0.234',h=7001504 - 11/28 09:03:58
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:54
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:54
    JayDee, your memory leaks are going to drive me crazy! Please understand that it will be a very short trip.

Ok, all of that gobbledegook is pretty meaningless unless you have the programs to see what they really mean or unless there is documentation that RIM has produced that interprets the messages. This is one of the things that drove me nuts as a programer, the errors were pretty uninteligable until you got a rather think error manual out and looked up the error codes to read the full version of the error messages. Even then, it could be dificult to figure out since we programmers are not known for clear and meaningful documentation of our stuff. Most smart software companies employ technical writters to produce the documentation if they want their users to understand what is going on.

Therefore, I think you are on the right track. Wipe the phone and reload just the version of BB6 you wish to run, allow that to run for several hours and see how things go. I would almost like to see if you ran it for 24hrs what would happen to the memory. The point here is that it would be worthwhile to prove whether or not the OS looses memory all by itself or not. If the OS looses memory by itself, then there is not much point in single loading of the apps since you then know who the culprit is.

This is not to say that one or more apps aren't contributing to the memory loss, but if the OS is loosing on its own there is not much to be gained by trying to isolate apps since they may not be loosing it on their own but rather exaserbating the loss by the OS. If the OS is not loosing memory on its own, then single loading of apps will identify the bad actor and allow for the developers to be notified that they have a problem in their code.

If the problem is with the OS, then there is nothing that can be done until official BB6 is released.

Hope all of this makes sense to you, since I'm not a Java developer I'm hard pressed to fully understand what the OS components are doing and how they do it.
    11-28-10 02:02 PM
    Hi to all the "ramblers" out there. I'm still road trippin' , but thought I'd pause for a check-in. I'm surprised to see jaydee still having issues with her bold, and the replacement at that. What the heck gives? Still losing memory? My 333 os has been really solid. It is so curious why some have such issues with it and some do not. If I lose 1mb in 24 hrs. it would be unusual. I reboot every morning usually although on this trip I must confess I have failed to remember to reboot and I have suffered no ill effects. I dunno, but hope you get it worked out.
    I had thanksgiving with my daughter and her hubby, then helped them with a move to San Antonio, in the great state of Texas.(gettin' close to Bob country, I know) He is going to be under going some intensive training at Fort Sam Houston for the next 18 months. San Antonio is a great city. We had a wonderful time looking around and site seeing while taking a break from other chores. I'm in Albuquerque right now staying with the kid for awhile longer. She has a place outside of the city and we're investigating what needs to be done to shut it completely down for an extended period of time as the real estate market is so crapped out, selling is not an option right now.
    I'm surprised that the next leak for the bold has not dropped yet. Funny, but before I left for the road, I went back to 5 because I thought it would be better for road operations(yeah, go figure) and both my files of 975 and 983 were somehow messed up, corrupted or something, but they did not work at all. I jumped back to 333 and am in a good spot again. Those fives must have gotten worn out from all the continuous reloads I had done in the past. !
    Anyway , I was kinda hoping that the next leak would be ready to load by the time I got back home, although not sure when that may be, but maybe still eh?
    I hope everybody had a great holiday and JayDee, I hope you get your memory issue figured out. I've been missing you "ramblers". I'll have some catching up to do. Gotta go,
    Ciao all,
    Jim, glad to hear you and family are well. I had been wondering where you were til JayDee told me you were "On the Road Again" (by my neighbor down the road, Willie Nelson) (No, I don't know him, he just lives a few miles from me).

Enjoy the time with your family, we don't get as much of that as we like these days. My kids are at least 3.5hrs away, one of them is in Albuquerque, and my step son that lives 30min away is busy with his family (2 boys) so we don't see them as often as we would like.
    11-28-10 02:09 PM
    OK Bob and everyone else. Here is the 24 hour total....since my last restart...-40MB lost.

I usually restart twice a day with a battery pull. Now you know why...
    Gonna wipe and try no apps in another day or so. Got stuff going on right now but maybe tomorrow or the next day. If I experiment at all, I will let you know.
    11-28-10 06:01 PM
    OK Bob and everyone else. Here is the 24 hour total....since my last restart...-40MB lost.

I usually restart twice a day with a battery pull. Now you know why...
    Gonna wipe and try no apps in another day or so. Got stuff going on right now but maybe tomorrow or the next day. If I experiment at all, I will let you know.
    Good, give it a go if you can. All of us are really concerned about your situation and would like to understand what is going on.

I think worst case is that vzw gives you another new/refurb device following BB6 official and you can tell them about the severity of your memory leaks. Perhaps that is what it is going to take for RIM to be pushed into fixing the problem; however, it could be a 9650 specific problem and they don't know about it yet since those having the problem are on leaked versions of the OS.

I'm sure it will get resolved at some point, in the mean time we are here with you to help where we can.
    11-28-10 06:19 PM
    Jim, glad to hear you and family are well. I had been wondering where you were til JayDee told me you were "On the Road Again" (by my neighbor down the road, Willie Nelson) (No, I don't know him, he just lives a few miles from me).
    Yeah, I love that song. I heard Willy lost some weight lately too. About 6 ounces, one of those special diets, eh?
    11-28-10 09:06 PM
    QUOTE=cbreze;5818132]Yeah, I love that song. I heard Willy lost some weight lately too. About 6 ounces, one of those special diets, eh? [/QUOTE]

Yeah, 6oz of pot!
    11-28-10 09:38 PM
    I just received a new 9650 to replace my wife's 9630. Wow, what a difference! Her trackpad is straight and the keyboard has red paint instead of that pink-ish tone that the early ones (mine) had.

JayDee said hers was pretty good too. Is the build quality on these actually getting better?
    11-29-10 04:01 PM
    I just received a new 9650 to replace my wife's 9630. Wow, what a difference! Her trackpad is straight and the keyboard has red paint instead of that pink-ish tone that the early ones (mine) had.

JayDee said hers was pretty good too. Is the build quality on these actually getting better?
    Could be, mine is OK. My TP is slanted just slightly and the red is fairly red, could be reded but quite acceptable. The device I have now was made in Mexico on 6/26/10, that is fairly early on.
    11-29-10 07:56 PM
    My keyboard is a different model that what I had originally...I mean, the letters are brighter white and the red is a deep crimson...not a flat pink.

I have developed another problem. When I use my camera, the phone shows a 507 error and reboots. It doesn't happen all the time but enough that I am now concerned that I will have to go back to 975.

I am going to get a copy of 280 from Paul, not use my own, and re-load 280 to try and see if the leak and the camera thing are resolved. If not, I may go back to 975. I mean, I have been reasonable and I just can't take it if the camera is not going to work. I use it a TON!!!!!!
    11-29-10 08:08 PM
    My keyboard is a different model that what I had originally...I mean, the letters are brighter white and the red is a deep crimson...not a flat pink.

I have developed another problem. When I use my camera, the phone shows a 507 error and reboots. It doesn't happen all the time but enough that I am now concerned that I will have to go back to 975.

I am going to get a copy of 280 from Paul, not use my own, and re-load 280 to try and see if the leak and the camera thing are resolved. If not, I may go back to 975. I mean, I have been reasonable and I just can't take it if the camera is not going to work. I use it a TON!!!!!!
    There are others that are having the camera/reboot issues, not sure if they are on BB6. I'll go take a look and let you know what I find out.
    11-29-10 08:20 PM
    JayDee, I only saw a couple of BB6 users having the problem. What seems to be a common problem is "Smart Wi-Fi", are you running that?

Another one is a battery meter program for a Jawbone, F2 said he had the problem with the reboots, removed the Jawbone battery meter and the problem seems to have gone away.

Hope you have one of these and can delete it and thus resolve the reboot issue.

Seems to me that your mem leaks should be enough to cause you to pull your hair out, or hunt down the Gin bottle, you don't need the reboot issue to add to your torcher.
    11-29-10 08:34 PM
    Could be, mine is OK. My TP is slanted just slightly and the red is fairly red, could be reded but quite acceptable. The device I have now was made in Mexico on 6/26/10, that is fairly early on.
    My keyboard is very good, bright white letters and deep red numbers. My device was made in Mexico on 5/24/10.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 08:51 PM
    Jd I had the camera reboot issues on every build of 5.0 so far since being on 6 I haven't had the issue.

11-29-10 09:28 PM
    Jd I had the camera reboot issues on every build of 5.0 so far since being on 6 I haven't had the issue.

It's interesting that there does not seem to be a common thread with this issue. Some had the Smart Wi-Fi app, others the Jawbone battery meter app, and it seems that others had neither yet still had the reboot problem.

Gratefully I have not had the problem, but then, I don't use the camera all that often. Maybe it has to do with the number of pictures one takes at which time a reboot is necessary.
    11-29-10 10:49 PM
    It's interesting that there does not seem to be a common thread with this issue. Some had the Smart Wi-Fi app, others the Jawbone battery meter app, and it seems that others had neither yet still had the reboot problem.

Gratefully I have not had the problem, but then, I don't use the camera all that often. Maybe it has to do with the number of pictures one takes at which time a reboot is necessary.
    It's funny that you should be mentioning the Jawbone battery app. Big Red is packaging the Jawbone Icon headset free with the Bold. Perhaps I'll keep it in the package for now. It came with my wife's new Bold today. She won't miss it...

BTW, her Bold was manufactured in Mexico 11 days ago, on 18NOV. Can't get much newer than that. It had 975 on it out of the box. I loaded 333 before I gave it to her. Seems to be great for her, so far.
    11-29-10 10:58 PM
    It's funny that you should be mentioning the Jawbone battery app. Big Red is packaging the Jawbone Icon headset free with the Bold. Perhaps I'll keep it in the package for now. It came with my wife's new Bold today. She won't miss it...

BTW, her Bold was manufactured in Mexico 11 days ago, on 18NOV. Can't get much newer than that. It had 975 on it out of the box. I loaded 333 before I gave it to her. Seems to be great for her, so far.
    Wow, that is getting it in the system pretty quickly. I don't think the BT device is the problem, only the battery meter app that runs on the phone to keep up with the Jawbone's battery level.

Probably a smart move loading BB6 on the device before she even saw it, let her get used to the phone with BB6 and she will never know the difference.

I'm slowly working on my wife, I have my Tour 9630 here that I am trying to get her to use. I've even thrown out that all she needs is a $15.00 data plan to get up and running. We'll see what she decides. I think I would even downgrade my plan to the $15.00 on since a large amount of the time that I am using the browser I can do so on Wi-Fi which bypasses your data plan as I understand it since the communication to the cloud is via the broadband connection. I went back and lookied at the amount of data that I have used in the last 10 or 11 months and I never came close to going over the amount allocated to the $15.00 plan, so what the hey if they will allow me to downgrade, why not.
    11-29-10 11:19 PM
    Good Mornin Ramblers!

No I do not have Smart Wi-fi, as I have read about those problems. I do not have the Jawbone thingy either. I just have a dysfunctional Bold. I am worried that since I gave up my original Bold for this refurb, I actually gave up a phone that was ok with the camera to get one that someone had a problem with...know what I'm saying?

I am so turned around by the problems I'm having I really don't know what to do. Paul suggested 280 for me. Do you think it will be very laggy? I have no patience for that. My copy moves fluidly right now, no lags or sticks. Just the fleeing memory and sometimes the camera reboot. I have even gotten the font size to where I can enjoy reading.

And even the memory...so I reboot. When I do reboot, I get back all the memory that I lost. That's a good thing. But the camera may be a deal breaker...

Advice please on what my next move should be?
    There's Scrid's 357/359/344 over 333 hybrid
    Willyboy'sv 8.2 357 over 333
    Full java 357 over 333 (which I have right now)
    Willyboy's v8.1 based on 280 (which I have tried and it was laggy...course I never gave it a chance)
    333-no shrinking, no added files...I have never actually tried that, you know.

I'm open to suggestions. My nickname should be "Iupgradedaily"
    11-30-10 08:10 AM
    I'm pretty sure that PC can tell you how to change your nick...

I didn't have any real difficulties with 280. The lag wasn't bad, nor was the battery usage, about which some have complained. I upgraded because I wanted to fix the clock and the notification bar lag. No joy for either of those, but it wasn't worth going back because everything else still worked.

I don't recall you mentioning the camera problem with straight 333. If so, I'd probably revert back. You didn't regain your memory with the hybrid, but now have the camera problem.

Did you try just the phone naked (the phone, that is)? Just the OS on it?
    11-30-10 08:40 AM
    I'm pretty sure that PC can tell you how to change your nick...

I didn't have any real difficulties with 280. The lag wasn't bad, nor was the battery usage, about which some have complained. I upgraded because I wanted to fix the clock and the notification bar lag. No joy for either of those, but it wasn't worth going back because everything else still worked.

I don't recall you mentioning the camera problem with straight 333. If so, I'd probably revert back. You didn't regain your memory with the hybrid, but now have the camera problem.

Did you try just the phone naked (the phone, that is)? Just the OS on it?
    No Underway, i think this is my next move, though. Wipe and put on a new OS and just the OS and no apps at all for a day or so. Which OS should I choose?

I had straight 333 in the beginning but did a lot of shrinking. After that, I had straight 333 with minimal shrinking. No love there.

The camera problem is new with THIS REFURB. Since I am stuck with it till the official OS6 comes out, I am going to make the best of it. When 6 comes out and I still have problems, then VZW will be replacing the phone for me again.
    11-30-10 08:56 AM
    I've done well with straight 333. Some have had problems or just weren't happy with it, but it worked fine for me. I saw no improvement on my Bold with the hybrids that I tried. I used Willyboy's 8.1, and a few that I got from DCOM. Scrid said that the radio on 280 seemed to be better than 333, but I did not see it. Maybe it's because I live in a pretty large area -- coverage in San Diego is good all over.

I would try 333 first, but you won't go wrong with either 280 or 333. It may not be great, but it should work. You may find that the camera problem goes away too. Many of the folks that have written about the camera problem have been trying hybrids or had lots of apps that potentially caused their issue. The straight OS with nothing added will hopefully be good for you.

Oh, and I'd avoid shrinking the OS, too. You never know just what you're getting rid of.
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-30-10 at 09:55 AM.
    11-30-10 09:43 AM
    FWIW JayDee my bold running 333 has the camera issue that never showed up previously. I'm taking alot of pix lately and if I snap to many to fast it will sometimes(usually) cause a reboot. I found if I don't snap em off to fast then it works better. It seems the faster I take shots it can't process quick enough, gets frustrated and reboots. I just take it slower pausing maybe 5 to 10 secs between shots and it's not an issue. I do miss rapid firing the cam tho, so I'm hoping this will be fixed in the next incarnation of 6.
    11-30-10 10:47 AM

jaydee, did you still want the link to 280?
    11-30-10 10:47 AM
    Good Mornin Ramblers!

No I do not have Smart Wi-fi, as I have read about those problems. I do not have the Jawbone thingy either. I just have a dysfunctional Bold. I am worried that since I gave up my original Bold for this refurb, I actually gave up a phone that was ok with the camera to get one that someone had a problem with...know what I'm saying?

I am so turned around by the problems I'm having I really don't know what to do. Paul suggested 280 for me. Do you think it will be very laggy? I have no patience for that. My copy moves fluidly right now, no lags or sticks. Just the fleeing memory and sometimes the camera reboot. I have even gotten the font size to where I can enjoy reading.

And even the memory...so I reboot. When I do reboot, I get back all the memory that I lost. That's a good thing. But the camera may be a deal breaker...

Advice please on what my next move should be?
    There's Scrid's 357/359/344 over 333 hybrid
    Willyboy'sv 8.2 357 over 333
    Full java 357 over 333 (which I have right now)
    Willyboy's v8.1 based on 280 (which I have tried and it was laggy...course I never gave it a chance)
    333-no shrinking, no added files...I have never actually tried that, you know.

I'm open to suggestions. My nickname should be "Iupgradedaily"
    Iupgradedaily, Maybe you can figure out how to time the camera reboots to coincide with needed reboots for memory loss.

Based on everything I'm hearing I think I will sit really tight on my Baby Bold since I am not having any of these problems. Of course I don't use the camera all that much so if I ever do I could run into that issue I guess.

My only two issues are the browser lagging a little bit on rendering pages and my GPS tends to loose track of where it is and reports that I am in some really strange places on BeWeather. I can live with both of those.

You might try .280; however, seems as I have heard several posters saying that it tends to be laggy. Another option may be to go with SCrid's newest hybrid or one of the others and avoid shrinking anything other than languages out of it. I dunno what else might work, at this point I think it is a crap shoot.
    11-30-10 12:46 PM
23,186 ... 320321322323324 ...