Eah
    Good Morning Ramblers!!!!
    I finally got my approval from Mobihand, (after 18 hours). Without QL active on my phone I thought I would go buggy! I finally put the dang phone down and went to bed! How much of a geek am I? I got up at 2 am to check and see if Mobihand had responded yet!!!! LMAO...I kid you not!

Anyway, yes Paul, the BBM thing has been resolved. I have a several fewer friends, but hey! I make friends easily enough...lol

All the apps are back and I mean ALL. I put everything back since I feel confident that none of them are troublemakers. Of course, something could still go wrong but I will assume everything is fine until I see memory figures like I had before.

I still have my original Bold here. I have a battery I can put in it for the time being. What is my next step before I send it back?

Oh and THANK YOU to all of you great guys for your support!!!
    I really appreciate your help, ideas, encouragement, prompting, etc.
    Yea JayDee, congrats on getting your new baby up and rinning. And in record time I might add, except for MH taking so long to get your new pin setup.

Your next step is to do a second wipe on your old phone. Don't see the need to load an OS on it since they will wipe the memory, scrub it down and probably disinfect it to boot. So just wipe it to a 507 (I think its the right error #) pack it up and send it on its way. Send only the carcus, don't send anything else that came with the refurb.
    11-24-10 09:29 AM
    Send only the carcus, don't send anything else that came with the refurb.
    That's all they sent me was the carcass and another SIM card.
    I will do it to a 507 error then and sent it on it's way for a proper spa treatment and manicure/pedicure (new keyboard).
    11-24-10 09:33 AM
    Bob, you're right. Jaydee, just wipe it to a 507 ERROR "No software loaded" or something to that effect. Let VZW worry about it from there.
    11-24-10 09:38 AM
    I read JayDee's post where she tells us about her 11MB overnight leak with her hybrid. After much thought, I have to wonder if she could possibly have a hardware problem.Thoughts anyone?
    I think her new phone proves that it's not a hardware issue. Which is what I told her when this all started.
    11-24-10 12:40 PM
    I think some clarification is in order PC. For everyone else reading, Paul and I have had a conversation today about my new Bold which is now down 16 + MB from this am. So that is why we figure. It is not a hardware issue but an app or combo of app and os. Honestly, I have deleted all the apps I can think of....twitter went this am and so did berryreader. They were the last 2 I installed so.... But as you can see, makes not matter. I am still happy nonetheless as the phone works without a chirp and the keyboard is pristine as is the rest of the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 01:26 PM
    Oh my Jaydee. Will you be considering getting rid of OS6 and go back to OS5?
    11-24-10 02:00 PM
    No no Mojave. I like os6 too much to go back. Its not bad really and I can live with it. My work works fine and if I wasn't checking meterberry every 10 min utes I would never know!
    Oh my Jaydee. Will you be considering getting rid of OS6 and go back to OS5?
    11-24-10 02:08 PM
    No no Mojave. I like os6 too much to go back. Its not bad really and I can live with it. My work works fine and if I wasn't checking meterberry every 10 min utes I would never know!

+1, the less I check meterberry the less I worry about memory fluctuations.
    11-24-10 02:24 PM
    Happy Thanksgiving guys !

Hope each of you have a blessed day.
    11-24-10 05:09 PM
    I think some clarification is in order PC. For everyone else reading, Paul and I have had a conversation today about my new Bold which is now down 16 + MB from this am. So that is why we figure. It is not a hardware issue but an app or combo of app and os. Honestly, I have deleted all the apps I can think of....twitter went this am and so did berryreader. They were the last 2 I installed so.... But as you can see, makes not matter. I am still happy nonetheless as the phone works without a chirp and the keyboard is pristine as is the rest of the phone.

Hey Jaydee saw this on another forum regarding the 6.0 memory leak ..not sure if it helps or not :
    I thought that i solved my memory leak problem. Found out that after every battery pull, the universal search will say �indexing.. �. Logically indexing means lots of memory will be used.

I went to the universal search bar and select �search option�. Disable all the search (youtube, emails, etc etc etc) except �contacts� and �homescreen�.

and now my memory seems quite stable (30 minutes since i batt pull and it stays on 86MB)
    11-24-10 05:16 PM

Now that is annoying, and here we all thought we had is figured out that it was a HW/FW issue. Sheesh.

Now the question becomes how do we determine what is causing the leaks. One idea that strikes me is that BB6 does in fact handle memory defferently and any apps that have not be updated to include new memory handling routines are the culprits that are leaking.

JayDee, do you know which of your apps are OS5/BB6 compatible? That is that they have been updated for BB6 compatablility. I know I have seen some apps that contend that they are. Perhaps if you know that info you could do some selective uninstall/reinstall to see if you can isolate the bad actor(s).

This may be barking up the wrong tree; however, I for one am about out of ideas.
    11-24-10 11:27 PM
    Hey Jaydee saw this on another forum regarding the 6.0 memory leak ..not sure if it helps or not :
    Wizard, thank you for this! I have made the changes the poster suggests, but I kept Options in there as I am not too sure how to get around OS6 yet and I like having Options come up. Good to hear from you! Hope you and your family are well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Rambler friends!!!!

11-25-10 08:00 AM
    Happy Thanksgiving Ramblers! Have a great day with your family and friends.

11-25-10 09:12 AM
    Happy Thanksgiving to all my Rambling friends. Along with many other things I give thanks for all of you being a part of my life. I pray that all of you enjoy a very blessed day with your family and friends.
    11-25-10 01:04 PM
    Well, my wife was eligible for a new phone and we went yesterday thinking she'd be getting an LG Apex (US Cellular version of LG Ally). She wasn't a huge fan of it though and ended up liking the Curve 9330, so we now have two BlackBerries in the family . I know it's not the right forum for it, but I figured especially since Jaydee was such a theme fiend some may know; will themes for the 8500 series (which has the same resolution as the 9300 series) work on her phone? There's very few themes in the 9330 area but a lot in the 8500 area. Thanks for any help.
    11-25-10 07:14 PM
    Well, my wife was eligible for a new phone and we went yesterday thinking she'd be getting an LG Apex (US Cellular version of LG Ally). She wasn't a huge fan of it though and ended up liking the Curve 9330, so we now have two BlackBerries in the family . I know it's not the right forum for it, but I figured especially since Jaydee was such a theme fiend some may know; will themes for the 8500 series (which has the same resolution as the 9300 series) work on her phone? There's very few themes in the 9330 area but a lot in the 8500 area. Thanks for any help.
    Pete,
    The themes for the 8500 will only work on your wife's phone if they are the same OS. If the 9300 is on OS6 then no, they won't work because I believe the 8500 are all OS5, correct? I think all the themes in the 8500 area are all OS5...they would have to be...no OS6 themes except for the Torch and Style, right?
    11-25-10 07:29 PM
    Pete,
    The themes for the 8500 will only work on your wife's phone if they are the same OS. If the 9300 is on OS6 then no, they won't work because I believe the 8500 are all OS5, correct? I think all the themes in the 8500 area are all OS5...they would have to be...no OS6 themes except for the Torch and Style, right?
    Correct, I haven't installed OS6 on her phone (yet). So will OS5 themes made for the 8500 work on her phone running OS5? I may just download a couple and try it out. If they don't show up, the don't show up. I don't think it could actually do any damage I guess.
    11-25-10 07:36 PM
    Correct, I haven't installed OS6 on her phone (yet). So will OS5 themes made for the 8500 work on her phone running OS5? I may just download a couple and try it out. If they don't show up, the don't show up. I don't think it could actually do any damage I guess.
    Yes, same resolution and same OS should work! Try it. There are a ton for 8500!!!
    11-25-10 07:42 PM
    Well, wife and I have been in the Houston area for the last couple of days, played golf yesterday and the day before in shorts. aawww. A little cooler today, now 45, but I'm not playing today so it's OK. We head home tomorrow after spending this evening with one of my sons at his place.

Hope all are having a wonderfull weekend.

By the way, where's Jim? Have not seen posts from him in a few days it seems.
    Last edited by BoDeb; 11-26-10 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Add comment.
    11-26-10 12:33 PM
    Well, wife and I have been in the Houston area for the last couple of days, played golf yesterday and the day before in shorts. aawww. A little cooler today, now 45, but I'm not playing today so it's OK. We head home tomorrow after spending this evening with one of my sons at his place.

Hope all are having a wonderfull weekend.

By the way, where's Jim? Have not seen posts from him in a few days it seems.
    Bob, glad you are enjoying your weekend...long weekend for us working folk! I spent the AM shopping online and the afternoon will be spent getting the tree up. Maybe decorate it tomorrow...depends on how much gin I have available in the house...LOL

Jim is traveling so we should hear from him after he ends up back home, I would think. We wish everyone safe travels...
    11-26-10 12:56 PM
    Bob, glad you are enjoying your weekend...long weekend for us working folk! I spent the AM shopping online and the afternoon will be spent getting the tree up. Maybe decorate it tomorrow...depends on how much gin I have available in the house...LOL

Jim is traveling so we should hear from him after he ends up back home, I would think. We wish everyone safe travels...
    We are back home, great trip, saw kids, granddaughter and a bunch of friends.

It's way toooooo early to decorate a tree. I believe that sometime between the 15th and 20th are just a fine time to do it. Christmas has become too commercial for my liking. But then again, they didn't ask me for my opinion anyway.
    11-27-10 04:36 PM
    Glad you're back home safely, Bob!

I have not rebooted my phone since last night at 9pm so that's 21 hours and I have a memory loss of exactly 26MB.

Weird. That is very high. Still. But I have put back all my apps, even Twitter. Does not seem to matter which I leave off and which I load so might as well enjoy the ones I use.

Would apps that are loaded but NOT OPEN stll cause memory to leak?
    And what is the difference between the memory I am losing from my phone and the one that Internals tracks? It always says 90MB RAM. Where does that 90 come from? And most of the day, except for when I was taking a picture or two, it remained steady at 41MB Free. When it stays steady like that and leaves me some odd number to use, my phone operates smoothly. When it jumps up and leaves me only 6 or 7 MB then everything is herky-jerky and I can't scroll or choose wallpaper or use the track pad or anything.
    11-27-10 05:11 PM
    Glad you're back home safely, Bob!

I have not rebooted my phone since last night at 9pm so that's 21 hours and I have a memory loss of exactly 26MB.

Weird. That is very high. Still. But I have put back all my apps, even Twitter. Does not seem to matter which I leave off and which I load so might as well enjoy the ones I use.

Would apps that are loaded but NOT OPEN stll cause memory to leak?
    And what is the difference between the memory I am losing from my phone and the one that Internals tracks? It always says 90MB RAM. Where does that 90 come from? And most of the day, except for when I was taking a picture or two, it remained steady at 41MB Free. When it stays steady like that and leaves me some odd number to use, my phone operates smoothly. When it jumps up and leaves me only 6 or 7 MB then everything is herky-jerky and I can't scroll or choose wallpaper or use the track pad or anything.
    Not familiar with Internals (app? BB feature?) but I'll try to address the memory issue.

An OS allocates a portion of available memory for its use in executing the processes that are needed to run the device. For devices like a smartphone, I think the manufacturer/OS developer (RIM) determines the amount of memory that will be used by the OS and the OS reserves that memory at boot time.

Normally the OS can't allocate any more memory for its use, the remainder of the memory is reserved for app storage, data, etc. So, when it is executing its processes, includes apps that we load and startup, the OS allocates memory for the process/app to use. It is incumbent on the process/app to return that memory when it has finished using it; however, due to a number of possibilities, a process or app doesn't return that memory (poor housekeeping in the coding, code glitch, etc can cause this) so that memory has been lost to the OS until some other process identifies it and returns it to the OS (MeterBerry, etc) or a reboot is done, that is a memory leak.

Now, why are you experiencing memory leaks while others of us (me) are not. I am still completely baffled by this one, it just doesn't fit the normal expectations of it happening to everyone using the bad actor app. The only difference would be if one/some users use features of the bad actor that most others don't use and it is that/those features that have the glitch causing the leaks. Very strange and a bit unlikely in my book.

So, your phone will/should continue to run smoothly until such time as there is insufficient memory for the OS to do OS things: trackpad, and other system stuff would fall into this area. We used to talk about the 80% threshold, once a device was using/lost more than 80% of its available memory one could expect the device to begin to slow down and become sluggish. This applies to disk/hard drives as well, since a certain amount of space is needed to handle to overhead/administration of the device.

Hope this explanation helps.
    11-27-10 06:03 PM
    Not familiar with Internals (app? BB feature?) but I'll try to address the memory issue.

So, your phone will/should continue to run smoothly until such time as there is insufficient memory for the OS to do OS things: trackpad, and other system stuff would fall into this area. We used to talk about the 80% threshold, once a device was using/lost more than 80% of its available memory one could expect the device to begin to slow down and become sluggish. This applies to disk/hard drives as well, since a certain amount of space is needed to handle to overhead/administration of the device.

Hope this explanation helps.
    Bob,
    Thanks for the explanation! Internals is an app which measures, among other things, memory usage. Between what you have told me and my conversations with Underway, I am convinced that something needs to be done about this leak. Like I said, I don't mind losing the 25 (or in last nights case 32MB) but when it stresses the available system memory to NOTHING and I can't use the track pad...that is very bad.

I am thinking of wiping again, restoring selectively...as I have been...and starting with NO APPS at all. I mistakenly assumed that since everyone else is using Berryweather and BerryBuzz and Meterberry I could instantly put them back...maybe not?

I have looked at my event log. I am taking the messages there and plugging them into Google to see exactly what is happening. I see a lot of the same repetitive stuff. I will post a log for you to peruse...just in case you can't get to sleep at night.....LOL
    11-28-10 08:06 AM
    Just the first two screens of my event log. What's all this mean?

#BlackBerry Event Log (cpt)

#HwID: 0x7001504

#DPIN:
    #PVer: 4.4.0.234

#AVer: 6.0.0.357

a System - JVM:INFOp= ,a='6.0.0.357',o='4.4.0.234',h=7001504 - 11/28 09:03:58
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:54
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:54
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:53
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:53
    a net.rim.ribbon.systemstatus - New text:redskins_wifi - 11/28 09:03:52
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:47
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:47
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:46
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:46
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:45
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:45
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:42
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:42
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:42
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:42
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:40
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:40
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:40
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:40
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:37
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:37
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:36
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:36
    a net.rim.ribbon.systemstatus - New text:redskins_wifi - 11/28 09:03:36
    a net.rim.rcp - TPpi - 11/28 09:03:28
    a net.rim.rcp - RXst - 11/28 09:03:28
    a net.rim.rcp - TPpg - 11/28 09:03:27
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:03:03
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:03:03
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:02:39
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:02:39
    E Application Control - IvHS - 11/28 09:02:38
    a System - CMM: Reset(2400) no sig from 0x33 - 11/28 09:02:38
    W net.rim.wlan.scan - RecS - 11/28 09:02:38
    a net.rim.wlan.scan - RecS - 11/28 09:02:38
    W net.rim.vpn - VPNd - 11/28 09:02:38
    W net.rim.vpn - VPvl - 11/28 09:02:38
    a net.rim.wlan.scan - PrEv 25698 - 11/28 09:02:38
    W net.rim.vpn - VPnp - 11/28 09:02:38
    W net.rim.vpn - PrEr - 11/28 09:02:38
    W net.rim.autotimezone - Sync 3 1290996158136 1290952958136 1 - 11/28 09:02:38
    11-28-10 08:15 AM
23,186 ... 319320321322323 ...