Agreed. Even if she could get OS5 (975) to run on it again, she'll still have the issue again when she loads the official OS6. At the very least, however, there is no longer any doubt.
    After 1 hour the loss is 10.7MB.
    And all I did was let it sit in the charger.
    I'm on with Verizon now and explaining my paint chipping problem. They are examining my "options".

they tell me NO. they have no other accounts of paint chipping so I would have to pay 90 dollars with my insurance to get it replaced. So I am out of luck there, too
    I only paid 99 for the phone five months ago. I will not pay 90 for a refurb.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-20-10 at 06:47 PM.
    11-20-10 06:26 PM
    After 1 hour the loss is 10.7MB.
    And all I did was let it sit in the charger.
    I'm on with Verizon now and explaining my paint chipping problem. They are examining my "options".
    Grovel, whine, cajole, cry and any other adjetive you can think of!
    11-20-10 06:41 PM
    They tell me NO. they have no other accounts of paint chipping so I would have to pay 90 dollars with my insurance to get it replaced. So I am out of luck there, too
    I only paid 99 for the phone five months ago. I will not pay another 90 for a refurb.

They are calling Blackberry to see if they will authorize a refurb.
    What bull****e.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-20-10 at 06:58 PM.
    11-20-10 06:48 PM
    They tell me NO. they have no other accounts of paint chipping
    So they're either lying or the person you spoke with has not talked to anyone of the many others who have had the paint chip issue. Sounds probably like the standard scripted BS response tho.
    11-20-10 06:53 PM
    If you bought your Bold new, it should still be under warranty, right? I am sure that paint peeling and the condition of your trackpad should be covered. I'd try again by calling the advanced tech support folks at 866-406-5154 and make sure that they also know about your intermittant chirping and clanking problems, and that you tried reloading both the .732 and .975 official OS. Remind them about your occasional signal issues with .732 and .975 too.
    11-20-10 06:56 PM
    If you bought your Bold new, it should still be under warranty, right? I am sure that paint peeling and the condition of your trackpad should be covered. I'd try again by calling the advanced tech support folks at 866-406-5154 and make sure that they also know about your intermittant chirping and clanking problems, and that you tried reloading both the .732 and .975 official OS. Remind them about your occasional signal issues with .732 and .975 too.
    Yes under warranty. No, paint chipping not covered.
    So says first level rep and second level technician.

When she calls me back, after talking with "Blackberry", I will call the number you suggest and explain all the details.

PS 2 hours in......-12.0MB
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-20-10 at 07:15 PM.
    11-20-10 07:03 PM
    Yes under warranty. No, paint chipping not covered.
    So says first level rep and second level technician.

When she calls me back, after talking with "Blackberry", I will call the number you suggest and explain all the details.

PS 2 hours in......-12.0MB
    Paint chipping from the keyboard and peeling trackpad is not covered? Wow. How can they call that "normal wear" or whatever they told you as the reason that they would not replace it?

When I have had to call the advanced tech folks, they have never failed to offer a replacement after running through their troubleshooting matrix. Not once. Make sure that you emphasize the operating issues vice the cosmetic. You can throw that in as well, but make the focus the OS issue. It'll help if you sound like you know more than they do. You likely do, anyway.

Keep your head up and stick to your guns. If nothing else, they'll have to replace your Bold when they release OS6 and it doesn't work for you.
    11-20-10 07:43 PM
    Paint chipping from the keyboard and peeling trackpad is not covered? Wow. How can they call that "normal wear" or whatever they told you as the reason that they would not replace it?

When I have had to call the advanced tech folks, they have never failed to offer a replacement after running through their troubleshooting matrix. Not once. Make sure that you emphasize the operating issues vice the cosmetic. You can throw that in as well, but make the focus the OS issue. It'll help if you sound like you know more than they do. You likely do, anyway.

Keep your head up and stick to your guns. If nothing else, they'll have to replace your Bold when they release OS6 and it doesn't work for you.
    VZW called back. Nope. they insist that I pay the 90 dollars to replace it with a refurb.

So I am going to call the advanced line now. What do I tell them? Not about OS6 about the problems with OS5? chirping, and the paint?
    11-20-10 07:48 PM
    Yea they will not replace for pain chipping or a pealing trackpad because it does not affect the performance of the phone. Its purely cosmetic and does not affect the operation. Im guessing your gonna have a hard time getting a replacement because most of your issues are not hardware related.
    11-20-10 08:06 PM
    VZW called back. Nope. they insist that I pay the 90 dollars to replace it with a refurb.

So I am going to call the advanced line now. What do I tell them? Not about OS6 about the problems with OS5? chirping, and the paint?
    Sure. You've had all sorts of real issues with the various OS releases. Just tell them about each of them. Emphasize that you've had no real relief with the different OS versions, and that you are tired of dealing with it. The occasional memory and signal problems won't hurt either. Tell the tech that you've done everything that you can think of to make the phone work correctly. Leave out the part about OS6. Telling them about the unauthorized OS will make them end the call quick. I'd emphasize the trackpad peeling rather than the paint on the shell. That's cosmetic. Oh, and try to avoid having them tell you to take the phone to a store so they can check it out. If you do that, you'll have to put 975 back on it first and hope that it chooses that moment to chirp or lose signal. Invariably, it'll work in the store.

Good luck.
    11-20-10 08:09 PM
    Sure. You've had all sorts of real issues with the various OS releases. Just tell them about each of them. Emphasize that you've had no real relief with the different OS versions, and that you are tired of dealing with it. The occasional memory and signal problems won't hurt either. Tell the tech that you've done everything that you can think of to make the phone work correctly. Leave out the part about OS6. Telling them about the unauthorized OS will make them end the call quick. I'd emphasize the trackpad peeling rather than the paint on the shell. That's cosmetic. Oh, and try to avoid having them tell you to take the phone to a store so they can check it out. If you do that, you'll have to put 975 back on it first and hope that it chooses that moment to chirp or lose signal. Invariably, it'll work in the store.

Good luck.
    I am going to wait a few days before calling again. They still have my number on the fast track and I don't want to call attention to my whining. I will call on Monday night and tell them about the signal problems. In the meantime, full java 357 is going back over 333 and that is going on my phone tonight with all my apps and let the leaks come. I will just keep rebooting! 280 is lagging too much for my liking. It freezes when you try and scroll messages, too.

Also, When OS6 comes out for real; one of two things is going to happen. My phone will run with it perfectly (in which case I will use car paint and fix my keyboard or maybe I will replace the keyboard myself. I'm no dummy. I can do it) OR my phone WON'T run it, in which case VZW will have to make it right and more than likely I will get a new phone then. So, not to worry.

In the meantime, I will try all the leaks and use all my apps and continue to reboot as often as I need. WTH, it only takes 2 minutes. There are worse things that could happen. When they do, I will worry. Right now, well, that's why God made gin and topamax. LOL
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-20-10 at 08:46 PM.
    11-20-10 08:14 PM
    jaydee, I saw it suggested earlier, but have you tried installing a full version of .333 without shrinking anything out? Perhaps installing from apploader or DM instead of BBSAK altogether?
    11-20-10 09:14 PM
    jaydee, I saw it suggested earlier, but have you tried installing a full version of .333 without shrinking anything out? Perhaps installing from apploader or DM instead of BBSAK altogether?
    Pete, no i put back the 333 with the full 357 java folder.
    I did shrink a lot less this time. Only took out languages and third party apps, games, left anything system related...sim, ota upgrade, help, etc, default vids, sounds, etc.

It's already leaking like a sonofawhore. lol
    I don't even have all my apps back yet!
    I always use apploader to install and bbsak for app install.

If I feel up to it, later in the week, if we have not gotten another leak, i will do a full 333 load like Underway suggested.
    11-20-10 09:29 PM
    I am going to wait a few days before calling again. They still have my number on the fast track and I don't want to call attention to my whining. I will call on Monday night and tell them about the signal problems. In the meantime, full java 357 is going back over 333 and that is going on my phone tonight with all my apps and let the leaks come. I will just keep rebooting! 280 is lagging too much for my liking. It freezes when you try and scroll messages, too.

Also, When OS6 comes out for real; one of two things is going to happen. My phone will run with it perfectly (in which case I will use car paint and fix my keyboard or maybe I will replace the keyboard myself. I'm no dummy. I can do it) OR my phone WON'T run it, in which case VZW will have to make it right and more than likely I will get a new phone then. So, not to worry.

In the meantime, I will try all the leaks and use all my apps and continue to reboot as often as I need. WTH, it only takes 2 minutes. There are worse things that could happen. When they do, I will worry. Right now, well, that's why God made gin and topamax. LOL
    Willyboy has a new 333/337/344 hybrid (Willyboy v8.2). As long as you're starting over, maybe that one will work out?

Silly thought here. You have MeterBerry set to recover memory hourly when your Bold is idle, but you get to -20MB or more over several hours. MB won't let you choose an idle time under one hour. So try this instead when you get OS6 loaded: type MEMORY CLEANING into the search bar. Select ENABLE and CLEAN WHEN IDLE. Set your idle timeout to something short, maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Your phone may not be idle for an hour (maybe because of BW or BerryReader), which may be why MB won't clear the memory. This level of memory cleaning control is new for OS6. Can't hurt to try at this point, huh?

Go gin and tonic!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-20-10 09:41 PM
    Thanks for the tip on automatic memory cleaning. I had been doing it manually without realizing you could set it. So I did for every 15 mins. We'll see how it fares during the night.

In the meantime how appropriate for my screen:
    11-20-10 10:49 PM
    Thanks for the tip on automatic memory cleaning. I had been doing it manually without realizing you could set it. So I did for every 15 mins. We'll see how it fares during the night.

In the meantime how appropriate for my screen:
    I did not realize that the memory cleaner was improved for OS6, either. I found it several days ago when I was looking around the OPTIONS app. There isn't a manual for OS6 on our Bolds yet, so the only way to see what's there is to look around. Or look here to see if somebody else has found it yet.

You might want to disable the automatic memory recovery in MeterBerry while you have the native memory cleaner enabled. I can see a lockup coming if both apps try to clean memory at the same time.
    11-20-10 11:22 PM
    Nice wallpaper and battery icon. I suppose that it helps if you can laugh about it...
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-20-10 at 11:40 PM.
    11-20-10 11:25 PM
    Nice wallpaper and battery icon. I suppose that it helps if you can laugh about it...
    What else can I do but laugh?

Overnight 6 hours, charging on nightstand...it lost 15.2MB of memory. What about this automatic cleaner? Even when I run it, it doesn't recover any measurable memory...so that leads me to believe it's leaking from somewhere that memory cleaner doesn't touch.
    11-21-10 07:54 AM
    I wonder if the memory cleaner handles software buffers / caches only and not anything managed by hardware contollers?

You said that the memory drain levels off, right? Almost like a chunk of memory gets filled and not released. I'm stumped here. You may just have to ride this one out until Big Red sends you a replacement.

I suppose that you can make a game out of this. See how MUCH memory you can lose/fill/misplace/etc in a 24 hour period. Open a new bottle of gin every time you exceed the previous day's total, or when the hourly drain hits your target. You might as well have fun with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 10:27 AM
    I wonder if the memory cleaner handles software buffers / caches only and not anything managed by hardware contollers?

You said that the memory drain levels off, right? Almost like a chunk of memory gets filled and not released. I'm stumped here. You may just have to ride this one out until Big Red sends you a replacement.

I suppose that you can make a game out of this. See how MUCH memory you can lose/fill/misplace/etc in a 24 hour period. Open a new bottle of gin every time you exceed the previous day's total, or when the hourly drain hits your target. You might as well have fun with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's like the garbage bucket filling up, but no one is emptying it.
    I never recoup the lost memory...unless I restart.

If I could go an entire day I would except I use an app called Internals and it shows the free memory and used memory. Here's a screen shot:

When the purple lines get too close to the top, my phone actually becomes so sluggish it practically locks up. SO I have to reboot or I can't use it. Right now it is leveling off and I have some "room" to play with.
    11-21-10 10:36 AM
    It's like the garbage bucket filling up, but no one is emptying it.
    I never recoup the lost memory...unless I restart.

If I could go an entire day I would except I use an app called Internals and it shows the free memory and used memory. Here's a screen shot:

When the purple lines get too close to the top, my phone actually becomes so sluggish it practically locks up. SO I have to reboot or I can't use it. Right now it is leveling off and I have some "room" to play with.
    Does Internals provide a way to see what applications are running when the memory usage spikes?
    11-21-10 12:10 PM
    I just looked at the app again. It doesn't tell me what's running. It just shows the spikes and valleys. But as that top line gets closer to the top, things get rough. I can't move around much. Does it make sense?

The app tracks battery usage, storage card and antennae usage, too but doesn't tell me which apps are doing it.
    11-21-10 12:46 PM
    I just looked at the app again. It doesn't tell me what's running. It just shows the spikes and valleys. But as that top line gets closer to the top, things get rough. I can't move around much. Does it make sense?

The app tracks battery usage, storage card and antennae usage, too but doesn't tell me which apps are doing it.
    Hmmm. I cannot imagine that there is no app like Windows Task manager that will allow you to see and turn off anything running on your phone.

At this point, I'd have to conclude that something fried in the handset. You may just have to hope that VZW will replace it tomorrow.
    11-21-10 01:00 PM

A couple of things that might shed some light on what is happeining.

Normally what happens is that a certain amount of the available memory is allocated to the OS to do its magic. Just because you have 512MB total and ~260MB of free memory does not mean that it is all available to the OS. When the available memory used gets above about 80% there is not really enough memory for the OS to operate efficiently and thus it becomes sluggish.

I truly believe that the issue is related to firmware that is being used in a different way in BB6 that is causing the leak that you is expriencing. I believe that the problem is that there is an issue with the firmware and that if she has not gotten them to replace her device by the time that BB6 is released she will then have an iron clad reason for them to replace it because you can then tell them about the leaks and the severity of them.
    11-21-10 01:07 PM
    Well, here's a good one! I have not restarted my phone since 9:30 this am so it's been about 9 hours. My phone bottomed out at -20.1MB and I resisted the urge to reboot to just see how low it would go. It has been on the charger for about a half hour and now suddenly I'm at -13.1MB.

How did that happen? Did Memory Cleaning gain memory? I didn't do anything manually. Weird. I gained like 7MB...interestingly the same amount Paul said he gained the other day...a flaw in the OS? A quirky coincidence? Jus saying...weird!!!

And then another hour later...sitting in the charger...it drops to -28.3MB!!!!
    Bizarre!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-21-10 at 06:40 PM.
    11-21-10 05:38 PM
23,186 ... 316317318319320 ...