Hey jaydee, here's a good one, my Bold starts up with 263.x free, consistently. I've had 333 for almost 2 weeks now and 263 has been the magic number. This morning I rebooted while I was getting ready for work. Right now MeterBerry says 270.1 free!

Not quite sure how I grew 7mb, but I did.

I don't think groveling is necessary. Just call them and tell them you can't tell one key from another unless they're painted with a letter. I'd ask them something along the lines of "So I can expect a replacement device when??!!"
    I agree; however, the groveling suggestion was for JayDee's benefit, she said she like to whine so why not.
    11-19-10 07:54 AM
    I agree; however, the groveling suggestion was for JayDee's benefit, she said she like to whine so why not.
    Ah, well, my mistake!
    11-19-10 08:40 AM
    I wonder what the accuracy rate is of our mem's mb measurements. Mine is almost always 270.6mb, day in and day out. I can bet what it's going to be without even looking. Maybe it's stuck there. I know how it can be tho when we have something thats not quite right. We just want it right . NOW!
    I've also noticed more people mentioning the mem loss now also.
    Maybe the next leak will be soon.
    I tried installing a hybrid last nite and followed all directions and it wouldn't install. I guess I was bored and wanted the experience.
    Would this be the correct procedure:
    1. Install a clean 333 to pc and shrink it with "shrink os"
    2. Install hybrid file to pc(was scrid's)
    3. Run app loader.
    Everything was there and app loader said it was done after a couple min.
    Obviously nothing happened, but a file from an old app I didn't want was removed as I instructed in the app loader process.
    So I dunno. My 333 is running so fine I'll just wait for the next leak.
    Side note: I do have a new 64 bit wm7 lappy. Another reason I wanted to give it a try was to test out the new pc. My old vista unit worked fine installing new os's.
    Anyway Mornin' all!
    11-19-10 08:57 AM
    Jim,
    I installed the 333/357 hybrid but I didn't use Scrid's. So I can't tell you what his directions are. But I did this:
    Install a clean 333.
    Install a clean 357.
    Copy 357 java folder into 333 java folder and REPLACE what's there.
    Shrink.
    Load.

That was it for me.
    It's a great hybrid but but doesn't stop my memory leak...
    Lost 20+MB in half a day. Rebooted at 3 pm today and I'm at -16MB again.
    I have Meterberry set to reboot my device right before I get up so I won't be aggravated when I open my eyes. LOL
    11-19-10 06:56 PM
    Jim,
    I installed the 333/357 hybrid but I didn't use Scrid's. So I can't tell you what his directions are. But I did this:
    Install a clean 333.
    Install a clean 357.
    Copy 357 java folder into 333 java folder and REPLACE what's there.
    Shrink.
    Load.

That was it for me.
    It's a great hybrid but but doesn't stop my memory leak...
    Lost 20+MB in half a day. Rebooted at 3 pm today and I'm at -16MB again.
    I have Meterberry set to reboot my device right before I get up so I won't be aggravated when I open my eyes. LOL
    Thanks for the info JayDee. I'm thinking I'll just stick at least until I get back from a road trip. Maybe by then another leak will drop on us. My bold is really working well right now. I was getting antsy is all. I'm seeing lots of others with apparent memory leaks also. Weird how some and not all can be affected and running the same O.S.
    11-19-10 09:02 PM
    Yeah, the memory leak isn't the only problem I had either. Remember me yelling about the fonts being huge? Others have that too!
    And I couldn't' send email from my handset for some reason. And QL won't send a screen shot to save my life...

Other people are now writing about these problems.

But on 333/357, my email works. That's it. Still have the other 3 problems...probably because I still have 333 files. Can't wait for another leak!
    11-19-10 09:23 PM
    Yeah, the memory leak isn't the only problem I had either. Remember me yelling about the fonts being huge? Others have that too!
    And I couldn't' send email from my handset for some reason. And QL won't send a screen shot to save my life...

Other people are now writing about these problems.

But on 333/357, my email works. That's it. Still have the other 3 problems...probably because I still have 333 files. Can't wait for another leak!
    This is so weird how some are having such issues and some like myself and alot of others are having a really good experience. Then wasn't it underway who said his memory started disappearing suddenly after being fine?
    My 333 is rock solid, but if it wasn't I'd dump it in a NY minute. I've actually been running it for over 2 weeks I think. A new personal best for me.
    11-19-10 09:34 PM
    That's right. I did suddenly have memory issues, almost as bad as JayDee's. It turned out to be caused by the updated BB Twitter client that I loaded that same day. Since I dumped that app, my Bold has been rock-solid.

However, I don't think that JayDee's issues are all related to specific apps or OS6 in general. She's tried too many combinations of OS (both straight .333 and her .333/.357 hybrid) and apps to think that she has only one problem. I think that she has both a hardware AND a software/OS problem. The combination may be what is making this so tough to isolate.

If she believes that the .333 files are the problem, then perhaps she could try Willyboy's 8.1 hybrid. That is .280-based with some .294. Or SCrid's hybrid with .344 and .357 files. That would at least eliminate the .333 files that she suspects.

Just my two cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-19-10 at 10:46 PM.
    11-19-10 10:38 PM
    That's right. I did suddenly have memory issues, almost as bad as JayDee's. It turned out to be caused by the updated BB Twitter client that I loaded that same day. Since I dumped that app, my Bold has been rock-solid.

However, I don't think that JayDee's issues are all related to specific apps or OS6 in general. She's tried too many combinations of OS (both straight .333 and her .333/.357 hybrid) and apps to think that she has only one problem. I think that she has both a hardware AND a software/OS problem. The combination may be what is making this so tough to isolate.

If she believes that the .333 files are the problem, then perhaps she could try Willyboy's 8.1 hybrid. That is .280-based with some .294. Or SCrid's hybrid with .344 and .357 files. That would at least eliminate the .333 files that she suspects.

Just my two cents

I'm another one with a rock solid device on BB6. I have been watching my mem loss and it has hovered between about .7 and 2.0 over the last week or so. I've been running SCrid's .357 which I installed using his instructions and have no problems.

I am fairly convinced that JayDee's problems are more hardware than anything else and that she need to cut her losses and get it replaced. My thoughts fwiw.
    11-20-10 12:22 AM
    I'm another one with a rock solid device on BB6. I have been watching my mem loss and it has hovered between about .7 and 2.0 over the last week or so. I've been running SCrid's .357 which I installed using his instructions and have no problems.

I am fairly convinced that JayDee's problems are more hardware than anything else and that she need to cut her losses and get it replaced. My thoughts fwiw.
    You could be right. She could plead/whine/rant/bat-the-eyes/etc to get a replacement from VZW because of the condition of the keyboard and shell. Because OS6 works for many of us, it is also possible that her copy of OS6 (.333) could be corrupted. Perhaps somebody here with a private host could post for her a known good distribution file, so she can verify that any issues are from the phone, not the OS, when she gets the new 9650 and wants to load OS6.

So many of us uninstall and reinstall the OS on our computers before we wipe and reload our phones or install a hybrid, but I suspect that most use the same downloaded archive of the OS that we first loaded. So long as you are getting good results, there is nothing wrong with reloading using the same file that you started with, but if you have the same problems numerous times, perhaps the software LOAD is not the problem. It could very well be the source software download itself. Get another copy from a different source and try again.

I am also not sure that some of us don't sometimes shrink too much out of the OS before we load it. Many talk of how much they were able to dump before installing the OS on their phones. For the most part, folks had a pretty good idea of what could be safely removed from the v4 and v5 OS. What if some of the new modules for OS6 have dual functions? An example is that reassigning the functions for the convenience keys is tied to voice activated dialing. Shrink out the VAD modules, and you can't reassign the key functions. Could some of the new OS6 memory management be done in some of the little-used modules that many shrink out? Aside from removing the unused language files and some of the pre-packaged third-party apps, maybe we should just load the OS on the phone as designed. On the older phones, it was important to be able to get as much free memory as possible. For our 512MB Bolds, I'm confident that there won't be very many folks that will be able to use the entire 280MB of free memory (250MB for JayDee ). Load the kitchen sink on JayDee's new Bold and then see how the OS functions.
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-20-10 at 03:09 AM.
    11-20-10 03:06 AM
    Underway and Bob...you both have some good ideas. I know I have used the same download of 333 over and over again for everything. That could be the problem. I will get a clean copy from somewhere to start again.

I might just try Willyboy's hybrid like you said Underway and eliminate the 333 files altogether. Many people have gone back to 280 because 333 is giving them so much trouble.

I also stand accused and guilty of shrinking too much out of the OS. If I load it all on, I'm only going to delete parts of it after. Why not delete it all to begin with? But I see your point about parts of the OS relying on other files. Initially I DID delete VAD and of course, my side keys did not work and I had to put them back with cods. When they fix that problem, you can bet that I'm blowing away VAD in a heartbeat!

I have a copy of Scrid's hybrid and I can find Willyboy's. Either one will work for me. I can try NOT to shrink too much out of the OS. I can't resist taking some things out tho. With OS5 I could carry 32 apps and 20 installed themes and never had a leak. I expect to be doing much the same under OS6 if not more.

Sometime today or tomorrow, I will try and load a different OS to see what happens. I am going to load all my apps on since none of those seem to be the problem. Then very soon, I will get a refurbished device from VZW to replace my worn keyboard and track pad and see if that makes any difference if I do not have some luck here.

Remember, I always have OS troubles. I had 699 to begin with and it was wonderful. I loaded 810 and had the chirp, back to 732 and had the clanging. Had to go to a hybrid for OS5 for a while, too, remember? Then 975 came out and I jumped on it. Was perfect. I'm beginning to think I should have stayed there...
    11-20-10 07:59 AM
    Jaydee:

To be honest, unless, someone messed with your version of the OS download file (to create virus or problems), either it would work or not work as it is an EXE file. So it cannot really be corrupted and run on the computer. Now since we all rely on the sources of LEAKED OS's, someone could mess with it, I guess, and post it on megaload or whatever.

But getting a copy from someone with no known problems might be a good idea anyway.

And doing less shrinking might help - you never know if some module might serve a secondary purpose (like vad and convenience keys) and clean memory periodically. One has to hope it is not any of those language files which I always blow away.

Good luck
    11-20-10 10:37 AM
    Hiya F2...you are now speaking to the owner of a 9650 with 6.0.0.333/357 on it!!!
    Yay!
    Here's the link I used tonight to get Shrink:
    BBHybrids Tool (Public Version) - Downloads - BBHybrids Forums

Thinking of taking the plunge????
    I got the limes!!!
    Thanks for the link.

I missed this reply. Actually, been just drinking the tonic water alone - a waste I'm sure.

If I plunge anywhere, it will be the mountains tomorrow for the first ski trip of the season. And I'm sure to plunge at least once or twice.

I think I will continue to play it safe with OS 5 and wait for you folks to help shake out the bugs. Generally, I've been reasonably quick to adopt some of the beta's but I think some of the OS 6 issues like the Browser are just enough reason to hold off. If the Browser's lack of column view of some equivalent becomes a permanent limitation I may yield but at this point, I will stick with the known interface and browser and S L O W R E B O O T!
    11-20-10 10:45 AM
    Underway and Bob...you both have some good ideas. I know I have used the same download of 333 over and over again for everything. That could be the problem. I will get a clean copy from somewhere to start again.

I might just try Willyboy's hybrid like you said Underway and eliminate the 333 files altogether. Many people have gone back to 280 because 333 is giving them so much trouble.

I also stand accused and guilty of shrinking too much out of the OS. If I load it all on, I'm only going to delete parts of it after. Why not delete it all to begin with? But I see your point about parts of the OS relying on other files. Initially I DID delete VAD and of course, my side keys did not work and I had to put them back with cods. When they fix that problem, you can bet that I'm blowing away VAD in a heartbeat!

I have a copy of Scrid's hybrid and I can find Willyboy's. Either one will work for me. I can try NOT to shrink too much out of the OS. I can't resist taking some things out tho. With OS5 I could carry 32 apps and 20 installed themes and never had a leak. I expect to be doing much the same under OS6 if not more.

Sometime today or tomorrow, I will try and load a different OS to see what happens. I am going to load all my apps on since none of those seem to be the problem. Then very soon, I will get a refurbished device from VZW to replace my worn keyboard and track pad and see if that makes any difference if I do not have some luck here.

Remember, I always have OS troubles. I had 699 to begin with and it was wonderful. I loaded 810 and had the chirp, back to 732 and had the clanging. Had to go to a hybrid for OS5 for a while, too, remember? Then 975 came out and I jumped on it. Was perfect. I'm beginning to think I should have stayed there...
    I'm sure that F2 is probably right, that the chance of a corrupted source file is remote. But we need to eliminate as many of the possible causes of your OS6 issues as can be found. This is just one.

You're also right about the folks headed back to 280. I had no real complaints with that one. I jumped to 333 because I was hoping that it fixed the bedside mode/clock issue and the intermittant display problem in the messages list. No joy for either of those, but I saw no reason to downgrade.

I don't know that I would immediately load all of your apps when you slick and reload. Maybe you should go slowly and run just the plain phone with MeterBerry for a day or two to make sure that it works as desired before you start loading it up. No wallpapers, no nothing.

Don't go thinking that you should have stayed with 975. Look how many folks have learned so much by following the trail of your pulled-out hair. You're performing a great service to the CB nation!
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-20-10 at 11:43 AM.
    11-20-10 11:41 AM
    I'm sure that F2 is probably right, that the chance of a corrupted source file is remote. But we need to eliminate as many of the possible causes of your OS6 issues as can be found. This is just one.

You're also right about the folks headed back to 280. I had no real complaints with that one. I jumped to 333 because I was hoping that it fixed the bedside mode/clock issue and the intermittant display problem in the messages list. No joy for either of those, but I saw no reason to downgrade.

I don't know that I would immediately load all of your apps when you slick and reload. Maybe you should go slowly and run just the plain phone with MeterBerry for a day or two to make sure that it works as desired before you start loading it up. No wallpapers, no nothing.

Don't go thinking that you should have stayed with 975. Look how many folks have learned so much by following the trail of your pulled-out hair. You're performing a great service to the CB nation!
    Most ashuredly, JayDee has been our tried and true OS stress tester.

I agree that downloading a fresh copy from another source is a good idea; however, I also agree that the chances that someone twiddled the bits in the one JayDee originally downloaded is probably acurate. That said, one doesn't know what was done to it pre-uploading to the file server.

I would also agree to the idea that moving slowly with the app installation process is a good one. I would want to test the bare bones device first to insure that it is working properly and doesn't have any mem leaks, then, if you install your apps and start to have leaks you know that the problem is not the device or the OS but the apps that were installed. If you dump them all on at one time, you woiuld have a harder time identifying the culprit(s). By moving slowly you can monitor as you do it and tell what apps are causing the leak or contributing to it.
    11-20-10 02:12 PM
    Hey Essex Ramblers, first of all I want to thank Jaydee and Paul for helping me out of a real traumatic experience this morning. Here's what happened. A couple of nights ago, I was beta testing the new version of QL, when I noticed that I was unable to email a screen shot from QL. Then I started having problems sending any emails. At this time I was running .333, so after thinking about it and talking to a few people I decided to wipe my phone and re-load a fresh copy of 333. Using version 1.9 of bbsak. I began the wipe, and then it happened, the dreaded white screen of death. I had encountered an error 507, my Bold was nuked. I plugged my phone into DM and bbsak and my phones pin was unrecognizable. I was up until the wee hours trying to re-load the os. Finally this morning after contacting jaydee, who had been in touch with Paul, It was suggested that I try loading the os thru bbsak, even though my device PIN wasn't recognized.
    Well the bottom line is it worked. By the way I re-loaded .975 for the time being. I might re-load a clean .333, but right now I don't need anymore drama. Thanks again Jaydee and Paul.

11-20-10 02:30 PM
    Essex Ramblers...guess what?
    JayDee is upgrading (or in her case downgrading) her OS again!
    I am installing Willyboy's v 8.1 based on 280 on my 9650.
    I am hopeful that the memory BLEED will be gone. I am asking loader to restore Meterberry, BeWeather, BeBuzz and QL.
    The big 4 as I call them. Pretty safe, i think.

I will keep track and then see what happens to the memory. Will post Meterberry shots occasionally to keep you posted.

Say a prayer for me...lol
    F2, I bought more tonic. You drank it all.
    11-20-10 03:34 PM
    Essex Ramblers...guess what?
    JayDee is upgrading (or in her case downgrading) her OS again!
    I am installing Willyboy's v 8.1 based on 280 on my 9650.
    I am hopeful that the memory BLEED will be gone. I am asking loader to restore Meterberry, BeWeather, BeBuzz and QL.
    The big 4 as I call them. Pretty safe, i think.

I will keep track and then see what happens to the memory. Will post Meterberry shots occasionally to keep you posted.

Say a prayer for me...lol
    F2, I bought more tonic. You drank it all.
    Prayer to...Jack?

Everybody get your drinks ready. We'll all pour at once.
    11-20-10 04:00 PM
    Prayer to...Jack?

Everybody get your drinks ready. We'll all pour at once.
    Well, we might wanna hold on the drinks.

Been up and running for 30 minutes. Meterberry said I started at -.2MB
    Currently at -.9MB

Doesn't look like this was the answer either.
    11-20-10 04:23 PM
    Well, we might wanna hold on the drinks.

Been up and running for 30 minutes. Meterberry said I started at -.2MB
    Currently at -.9MB

Doesn't look like this was the answer either.
    Relax. Mine does that too. Starts at -0.2, then settles at less than -1.0 in the first hour or so.

How many battery pulls? It'll take at least two or three.
    11-20-10 04:27 PM
    Relax. Mine does that too. Starts at -0.2, then settles at less than -1.0 in the first hour or so.

How many battery pulls? It'll take at least two or three.
    Another battery pull. Another 30 minutes....-3.3MB
    11-20-10 05:03 PM
    Give it a little more time. Mine does the same thing following a bat pull. I think it might settledown in a while.

11-20-10 05:07 PM
    Might be time to call it hardware.
    11-20-10 05:09 PM
    Might be time to call it hardware.
    That's been my though for a couple of days. She needs to replace anyway regarless of the mem leak problem.

11-20-10 05:15 PM
    That's been my though for a couple of days. She needs to replace anyway regarless of the mem leak problem.

Agreed. Even if she could get OS5 (975) to run on it again, she'll still have the issue again when she loads the official OS6. At the very least, however, there is no longer any doubt.
    11-20-10 05:48 PM
23,186 ... 315316317318319 ...