So I deleted Ubertwitter. And installed Twitter for BlackBerry just for a trial. And it seems to be better behaved than what I had originally. It's been an hour and I have experienced only 7MB loss. Quite a difference from the what? 24 I had earlier. So I will leave Twitter on and see how it goes.

Underway, how large was your memory leak with T4BB?
    15-17MB. But I had no memory leak before I put on the latest Twitter for BlackBerry update. If I try it again, I'll put on the version that came with the .333 or .280 OS leaks.
    11-13-10 07:13 PM
    When I awoke this morning, my memory had leaked 31MB during the night from midnight to 6:30 am.

Interestingly enough, I am not the only one with the problem. People are starting to post in the finding and fixes thread that they are also suffering memory leaks with 333. So maybe I'm not crazy after all...

Have a good Sunday, Essex Ramblers!!!
    11-14-10 10:22 AM
    When I awoke this morning, my memory had leaked 31MB during the night from midnight to 6:30 am.

Interestingly enough, I am not the only one with the problem. People are starting to post in the finding and fixes thread that they are also suffering memory leaks with 333. So maybe I'm not crazy after all...

Have a good Sunday, Essex Ramblers!!!
    I still think it curious why not everyone is affected with this memory drain. I have also seen other posts relating similiar experiences as yours. Logically it would indicate some type of common denominator. Something that causes this. "What"(?) is the question.
    Possibilities:
    1. method of installation
    2. suspect app/apps
    3. tainted sd card
    4. bad Downloaded file
    5. sim issue. (i'm stretching)
    6. a setting on the bold
    7. a bbsak/hybrid tool issue
    8. ????what????????????
    I'm confounded by this but glad I don't have the issue which just confounds me more. Why don't i have it as well as all the others with solid no mem leak installations?
    Jaydee, Why do you seem to have issues no matter which os you install.(no offense intended) Maybe just your frazzeled-ness makes it seem worse.
    If I had the problems you relate having I doubt I'd want to ever leave my current os.
    Anyway, it's sunday, and a slow day on CB so anybody want to speculate why the memory leaks might be happening to a select few of us and what might be some possible reasons?
    I do think there is most likely more than one possibility which could make it seem worse than it is. The beta FB for instance could cause leak issues but not all, could be more behind the scenes. But for JayDee to lose that much in about 6 hours is really got to be something going on. Is it app related or os?
    Got another question, see next post below
    Last edited by cbreze; 11-14-10 at 11:21 AM.
    11-14-10 11:18 AM
    I cannot figure out how to get the division function to work on the calculator. There's + and - and x, but no way to divide. WTF am I missing here? This has been bugging the crap outta me for ever since I had my bold. I seldom need it but when I do . Grrrrrrrr!!!! Anybody? , I gotta be missing something really simple.
    11-14-10 11:20 AM
    I cannot figure out how to get the division function to work on the calculator. There's + and - and x, but no way to divide. WTF am I missing here? This has been bugging the crap outta me for ever since I had my bold. I seldom need it but when I do . Grrrrrrrr!!!! Anybody? , I gotta be missing something really simple.
    Hey cBreze it's done this way: 4 / 2= 2

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-10 11:42 AM
    Hey cBreze it's done this way: 4 / 2= 2

So simple, I knew it. Thanks a bunch.
    11-14-10 11:53 AM
    I'm confounded by this but glad I don't have the issue which just confounds me more. Why don't i have it as well as all the others with solid no mem leak installations?

Jim, I have no idea why you are lucky enough not to experience this. All I know is this...I know my way around a laptop, OS and my phone. Not that it matters to you, but I am a network troubleshooter for work. I am a CCNA. I am no dummy. (I know you didn't say that, nor did you hint that). For whatever reason, something is wrong and I am not making it up. I know how to install an OS. It is VERY VERY frustrating for me. Believe me. I am the one people come to for help. Here, I am helpless and still I DO come to everyone for help. Ask Paul. I have no qualms about asking for help. I will admit when I have trouble.

Jaydee, Why do you seem to have issues no matter which os you install.(no offense intended) Maybe just your frazzeled-ness makes it seem worse.
    If I had the problems you relate having I doubt I'd want to ever leave my current os.

This is why, Jim, If you remember correctly, I kept saying I have a phone that works perfectly on 975 and does everything I want it to. I am in no hurry to upgrade. I said it I don't know how many times. I meant it! And problems like this are part of the reason why. I had the chirp, squelch, speakerphone blast, etc with VZW. Just my area and the towers. It's documented in these forums somewhere. Others have had these problems, too. I'm sorry if I sound "frazzled" to you. I guess my character flaw is to keep after something until it submits. It's how I solve problems at work. I keep complaining, and keep looking for a solution and eventually solve the problem. I guess by always posting here, it sounds like I'm frazzled to you. No, no, its just be being persistent. If nothing, I am persistent. It's just how I am. Especially when it is my phone.

Jim, we're friends and you know me pretty well by now.
    No offense meant or taken. So we're good.
    11-14-10 12:05 PM
    JayDee,
    Perhaps "frazzeled" was a poor choice of words. I think just anxious to get your baby back in prime cond. is what I was meaning. I'm certainly no different when I do any upgrade.
    I consider myself pretty new as a returnee to BB after my 5 year hiatus. Which makes me grateful for you and all the others that offer their expertise on the forum. I learn alot from you and the rest of the essex threadin' gang sometimes directly and alot of times indirectly. I firmly appreciate all the help from everyone, to many to name, that have made my bb experience so much richer.
    I was on the front line along with others urging you to upgrade from your comfort zone of 5/975. Leaving all your themes behind as well. Then your having various issues with getting to it work properly is frustrating to watch. My limited expertise shows as I suggest things that you've already considered. I must say tho I find it ironic that for someone with my experience I can find it so effortless to upgrade/downgrade in minutes(see jim knock wood QUICK) when someone with your experience of many, many upgrades and hybrid installs has such crazy issues. I'm the scientist type and always thinking there's a reason/solution for everything.
    I hope the next leak you had mentioned earlier makes itself known soon and this will be the leak to end all leaks. Also, surely the "official" verizon upgrade has to be coming soon.
    Friends want to help friends, so when they can't, it can be frustrating is all. Especially when one of them was saying "just do it"LOL!
    Looking ahead to the next leak! Cheers!
    Ciao,
    11-14-10 01:24 PM
    Friends want to help friends, so when they can't, it can be frustrating is all. Especially when one of them was saying "just do it"LOL!
    Jim, don't worry! I went into this with eyes wide open.
    I knew things wouldn't be perfect like they were with 975. And I had to make the jump sometimes and get in the pool with both feet, so to speak.

It's very sweet for you to say your are frustrated because I am having a rough go of it. I appreciate your concern. I know Paul, Bob, Prince, RR, Underway are also very helpful and concerned, as well. I'm so lucky to have such great friends to take care of me!!!!

Lucky girl

It will all work itself out! Another leak will be coming soon and I'll be off on some other train!!!!

LOL Have a good afternoon!!!
    11-14-10 01:42 PM
    Well, let me weigh in on all of this and add my $.02.

JayDee, I don't have a CCNA, but I do have A+, Network+ as well as MCP certifications to go along with a long career in computing software and hardware support and I've also taught A+ and Network+ certification courses. So, like you I know my way around a number of computer related hardware devices and I understand the software side as well. If I go back to my early days of software development and support, we had large programs that had to run in very small numbers of resources. Many of the smaller machines had 128 or 256K of RAM and the mainframes had 512 or maybe 756, of RAM. It was incombent on us as programers to do several things in our programs to insure that we didn't push the envelope beyond its limits, such as break our programs up into segments that would run in small chunks of memory and very careful housekeeping to be sure that resources we used were returned to the OS when we were done with them.

I say all of that to say this, I've become convinced that your problems are app related. I have seen in the last 15 or 20 years as the resources available have increased and processors have gotten faster and faster, developers have become very sloppy in their coding methodologies. It is no longer as necessary to to the things that we did because there are lots of resources avalilable in todays environment, result: sloppy code, the result of sloppy code: memory leaks, freezeups, niggly little things that tend to drive people like you and me around the bend. Fortunately, like Jim, I don't have the leak problem. But then, I also have very few apps that didn't come with the OS.

Now, how to identify the culprit. Not an easy process by any means. I would be nice if there were program lists of all the programs that those having mem leaks had loaded on their devices. One could narrow down the suspect list by looking for the common programs and start with those. Not a very easy/reasonable approach. Removing all of your programs and reinstalling them is probably the best solution; however, very time consuming. I've been mulling this one over since yesterday afternoon and can't honestly say that I have come up with an ingenious solution.

I realize that this post is not going to solve your problems; however, for what it might be worth I wanted to share my thoughts. I'm hoping that a new leak (BB6) shows up soon as well, to me that means that they are trying to resolve some of the issues that have been reported and we will get that much cleaner of a release when it does become "Official".
    11-14-10 02:42 PM
    Bob,
    I appreciate the information. Jim and I believed all along it was an app; but alas, my attempts to find out which one has been unsuccessful. Paul has been telling me it's an app as well. I am just very frustrated. I am willing to bet that the next leak that comes along will help me.

I can uninstall my apps and put them back one at a time.
    It will probably be the best way to go. What you said makes a lot of sense about the coding. I appreciate all the info and I guess I will begin the uninstall of all my apps shortly and see how far i get tonight...

Or maybe I will just live with it...and reboot every couple of hours.
    Will let you know what happens if I find out anything definitive.
    11-14-10 03:07 PM
    Bob,
    I appreciate the information. Jim and I believed all along it was an app; but alas, my attempts to find out which one has been unsuccessful. Paul has been telling me it's an app as well. I am just very frustrated. I am willing to bet that the next leak that comes along will help me.

I can uninstall my apps and put them back one at a time.
    It will probably be the best way to go. What you said makes a lot of sense about the coding. I appreciate all the info and I guess I will begin the uninstall of all my apps shortly and see how far i get tonight...

Or maybe I will just live with it...and reboot every couple of hours.
    Will let you know what happens if I find out anything definitive.
    Yeah, that is a veritable pain in the a$$. Wish there was an app that would list memory consumption by taking samples every 15 minutes or some such, keeping a log of the readings. That would make it fairly easy to at least identify suspect apps.
    11-14-10 03:36 PM
    JayDee, did you un/reinstall apps last night, if so how did it go and did you find the culprit?

Have a terrific day!
    11-15-10 08:55 AM
    JayDee, did you un/reinstall apps last night, if so how did it go and did you find the culprit?

Have a terrific day!
    No Bob, I got lazy and decided to live with the memory drain.
    What I DID realize is that after upgrading to OS6, I never bothered to go to Mobihand and switch my versions of the big 3 software to OS6 versions: BerryBuzz, BerryWeather and BerryReader. I am in the process of doing that now. Maybe that will make a difference.

Overnight, I only had a 17MB loss. I had changed BeWeather before I went to bed. We will see. Another mystery...
    11-15-10 09:31 AM
    No Bob, I got lazy and decided to live with the memory drain.
    What I DID realize is that after upgrading to OS6, I never bothered to go to Mobihand and switch my versions of the big 3 software to OS6 versions: BerryBuzz, BerryWeather and BerryReader. I am in the process of doing that now. Maybe that will make a difference.

Overnight, I only had a 17MB loss. I had changed BeWeather before I went to bed. We will see. Another mystery...
    I have to admit that I thought about that yesterday, but I figured that it would have been one of the first things that you did, and I didn't want to embarass you if you had not done one of the things that you have passed on countless times to the new BB owners.

Having said that, I wouldn't stop at just the big 3. Make sure that you update all of whatever background apps you have. If you use any apps that have NOT been updated for OS6, you might want to look for alternatives. The older apps probably work, but maybe not particularly well with the new OS. Conversely, if you have updated anything, you might want to downgrade to the last working version that you had. Perhaps an updated app (like T4BB on my BB, for example) is not working like the older one for your particluar configuration.
    11-15-10 10:45 AM
    I have to admit that I thought about that yesterday, but I figured that it would have been one of the first things that you did, and I didn't want to embarass you if you had not done one of the things that you have passed on countless times to the new BB owners.

Having said that, I wouldn't stop at just the big 3. Make sure that you update all of whatever background apps you have. If you use any apps that have NOT been updated for OS6, you might want to look for alternatives. The older apps probably work, but maybe not particularly well with the new OS. Conversely, if you have updated anything, you might want to downgrade to the last working version that you had. Perhaps an updated app (like T4BB on my BB, for example) is not working like the older one for your particluar configuration.
    Oh Underway, you would be helping me; not embarrassing me. But I thought of it yesterday.I didn't originally swap versions because I wasn't sure I was going to stick with OS6 honestly, but now that I am...well, no sense NOT to swap up and try a different version.

I guess the fact that all the apps WORK for 6, even if they are not written for 6 makes me want to keep them but, as Bob pointed out yesterday, they probably are troublesome. So that's what I am going to do now. Add and delete.

Looks pretty; even if it DOES leak:
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-15-10 at 11:11 AM.
    11-15-10 10:52 AM
    Oh Underway, you would be helping me; not embarrassing me. But I thought of it yesterday.I didn't originally swap versions because I wasn't sure I was going to stick with OS6 honestly, but now that I am...well, no sense NOT to swap up and try a different version.

I guess the fact that all the apps WORK for 6, even if they are not written for 6 makes me want to keep them but, as Bob pointed out yesterday, they probably are troublesome. So that's what I am going to do now. Add and delete.
    Very nice. I'm also partial to football. Never been a 'skins fan, though.

I see that you're running T4BB and an RSS reader. Since they are always running and polling, I wonder if those could be related to your memory problems, especially the Twitter client? What if you dump the T4BB and check it yourself every hour or so using the browser? I check my Twitter somewhat regularly by using their regular mobile site. Recall that T4BB was what caused my memory drain.
    Last edited by Underway99; 11-15-10 at 11:27 AM.
    11-15-10 11:23 AM
    I feel sorta bad for JayDee since the Skins are getting a royal ****-kicking tonight.
    11-15-10 08:33 PM
    I feel sorta bad for JayDee since the Skins are getting a royal ****-kicking tonight.
    Yeah, this is one of those go to bed at halftime games...
    11-15-10 08:46 PM
    [QUOTE=jaydee5799;5775648]Oh Underway, you would be helping me; not embarrassing me. But I thought of it yesterday.I didn't originally swap versions because I wasn't sure I was going to stick with OS6 honestly, but now that I am...well, no sense NOT to swap up and try a different version.

Looks pretty; even if it DOES leak:
    [/QUOT
    E]

I like your screen, but I decided I wanted a very clean screen, no app icons
    11-15-10 08:52 PM
    Yeah, this is one of those go to bed at halftime games...
    Sounds like our Longhorn games of late! Sheesh! Good treatment for insomnia...
    11-15-10 08:55 PM
    Wow. 45-14 at the half. This would be a really good evening for a Redskins fan to slick and reload her Bold.

Last edited by Underway99; 11-15-10 at 09:21 PM.
    11-15-10 09:18 PM
    Wow. 45-14 at the half. This would be a really good evening for a Redskins fan to slick and reload their Bold.

Naw, I like watching how low my memory on my Bold can fall....right now, we're at 21.4 down after 4 hours...we'll see what it is in the AM.

Kinda a game now.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-15-10 at 09:22 PM.
    11-15-10 09:20 PM
    Naw, I like watching how low my memory on my Bold can fall....right now, we're at 21.4 down...we'll see what it is in the AM.

Kinda a game now.
    If your memory falls enough, you'll forget the first half, right?

11-15-10 09:23 PM
    Naw, I like watching how low my memory on my Bold can fall....right now, we're at 21.4 down after 4 hours...we'll see what it is in the AM.

Kinda a game now.
    "Kinda a game now"? What game are YOU watching?

I'm down just 0.8MB for the entire day, and I lost just 0.7MB all day yesterday. All that I dumped is the BB Twitter app and the latest BB Facebook app. I didn't see any improvement until the Twitter app went away.
    11-15-10 09:35 PM
23,186 ... 311312313314315 ...