I used BBHybrid to shrink the OS down to 92mb. I still have 271mb free. So far it seems a little quicker than 280. There is still a lot scrolling with the browser on CB. I'll play with it for awhile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 09:50 PM
    I would like to know if anyone could answer: is there a noticeable snappiness to the OS compared to OS 5? overall performance.
    11-07-10 11:26 PM
    Bob, I shrunk it using the shrink os app, nothing fancy and ended up with 132mb. Used to end up with 134mb on 280. After loading my bold shows 268mb mem. My side keys are fine and I had no issue doing it this way.
    My 2nd D/L went fine and no trouble with the exe.
    Jim, like you I got mine down to 132MB, not sure how much I got rid of but it is what it is. I have 263MB remaining, seems as we are pretty similar. On my last OS5 I was up around 300, I think those days are gone.

I used BBHybrid to shrink the OS down to 92mb. I still have 271mb free. So far it seems a little quicker than 280. There is still a lot scrolling with the browser on CB. I'll play with it for awhile.

Prince, you must have a better shrinker that Jim and I since we ended up at 132. You must wrap it tighter...

Everything seems to be working so far, I'll see how the day progresses.

Have a great day!
    11-08-10 06:22 AM
    I would like to know if anyone could answer: is there a noticeable snappiness to the OS compared to OS 5? overall performance.
    Greetings follow "zonie", I'm going to give you the bottom line first. It's all relative. So depending on where your at techie wise when it comes to phone operating systems it will make a difference as to how you perceive the differences.
    In my view, being a bit less than medium on the tech scale, I like the os alot and find it snappier regarding most of it's functions. Certain web sites seem to take longer to load than others did on os-5, some load faster, so depending on where you go, might make a difference. but thats a browser issue, not 6 overall. And if the column view feature of 5's browser is important to you than you will def miss that feature. The rest of the os moves quickly and is snappy, but there is a learning curve and once this is accomplished it's smooth sailing. I went back and forth several times between 5+6 before deciding 6 is where it's at for me. Once downloading it to your pc the install only takes 30 min or so and using app loader everything is saved and reloaded except for any app codes. If you like themes as some around here seem addicted to them and never leave home without several at the ready, then be ready for one theme on 6 and none others available yet.
    Sorry for rambling, but it is a relative question and should be compared to each individuals usage. To me 5 is easier to move thru, but maybe only until I got used to 6 more, then it became a toss up.
    Best advice is to just load it up and test drive it yourself. It is easy enough to revert back if you don't like.
    So, is it snappier or not? The real answer is both yes and no. Best answer: IMHO anyway, Yes. it's snappier in most functions, most of the time. The webkit took me the most to get used to.
    If you use your bold for business then you may want to stay put as that learning curve might be to much trouble while trying to deal with working.
    Hope this helped.
    Last edited by cbreze; 11-08-10 at 07:17 AM.
    11-08-10 06:52 AM
    Good Morning Ramblers! I was up late last night playing with .333, like a kid on xmas morning, Jaydee. There is definetly a learning curve. This OS is snappier than 280 and runs smoother. I use my BB a lot for work so I have to be able to get around it quickly. I prefer the calendar on 5 and the browser will take some getting used to. But I'm going to give it a real test drive this time. If you've been holding off on BB6, This is probably the one to try for yourself.
    11-08-10 07:51 AM
    Greetings follow "zonie", I'm going to give you the bottom line first. It's all relative. So depending on where your at techie wise when it comes to phone operating systems it will make a difference as to how you perceive the differences.
    In my view, being a bit less than medium on the tech scale, I like the os alot and find it snappier regarding most of it's functions. Certain web sites seem to take longer to load than others did on os-5, some load faster, so depending on where you go, might make a difference. but thats a browser issue, not 6 overall. And if the column view feature of 5's browser is important to you than you will def miss that feature. The rest of the os moves quickly and is snappy, but there is a learning curve and once this is accomplished it's smooth sailing. I went back and forth several times between 5+6 before deciding 6 is where it's at for me. Once downloading it to your pc the install only takes 30 min or so and using app loader everything is saved and reloaded except for any app codes. If you like themes as some around here seem addicted to them and never leave home without several at the ready, then be ready for one theme on 6 and none others available yet.
    Sorry for rambling, but it is a relative question and should be compared to each individuals usage. To me 5 is easier to move thru, but maybe only until I got used to 6 more, then it became a toss up.
    Best advice is to just load it up and test drive it yourself. It is easy enough to revert back if you don't like.
    So, is it snappier or not? The real answer is both yes and no. Best answer: IMHO anyway, Yes. it's snappier in most functions, most of the time. The webkit took me the most to get used to.
    If you use your bold for business then you may want to stay put as that learning curve might be to much trouble while trying to deal with working.
    Hope this helped.
    Jim, I agree pretty much with what you have said. I think BB6 is snappier that OS5, I don't have any navigation problems because I use QL for pretty much everything.

However, for some reason when I was loading .333 over .280 the loader froze and I eventually got a message that it could not complete the process, not sure why. I restarted the loader and it completed fine that time and installed my apps, but not in the same setup/folders as I had them previously. I was able to use DM and restore my apps from the backup that apploader had made and all was OK. This just took a bit longer than expected but ended up OK.

Correct, there are no themes for BB6 as yet; however, one can change their wallpaper. I have mine set to the same WP that I used with OS5, in fact the same one that is my avitar, and I use the BeWeather icons over that in transparent format. With no Icons (app) on the home screen, I have the navigation bar at the bottom and the notification bar at the top with with BeWeather temp and MeterBerry battery notifications. Otherwise, my screen is clean. If I could get rid of the navigation bar at the bottom I would be a happy camper with a QL shortcut to my folders of which there are not many.

Although I have not had time to do much with my Baby Bold since I got .333 completed last night, it seems to be running fine at this point.

Y'all have a terrific day!
    11-08-10 07:53 AM
    Good Morning Ramblers! I was up late last night playing with .333, like a kid on xmas morning, Jaydee. There is definetly a learning curve. This OS is snappier than 280 and runs smoother. I use my BB a lot for work so I have to be able to get around it quickly. I prefer the calendar on 5 and the browser will take some getting used to. But I'm going to give it a real test drive this time. If you've been holding off on BB6, This is probably the one to try for yourself.
    I'm not crazy about the calendar on either OS5 or BB6. I really like to use categories with assigned colors for my calendar entries. I do ths on Outlook and back when I had my Palm Treo 755P the colors transferred to it. Made for being able to quickly glance at the calendar and know what kind of entries were up for a particular day. I find that helpful and wish I could do that with the BB calendar.
    11-08-10 07:59 AM
    Thanks for the info Prince! All of you guys posting has helped me to decide that I really ought to get with it and at least TRY an OS6 flavor. I'm sure you all will give me moral support if I decide to install over my 975.

I don't use the calendar anymore on my BB...all my email accts are with Google and it just messed up my contacts and calendar so badly that I ditched Google sync and the calendar idea altogether. Just the browser that worries me. Guess I will try later this week. Got some free time.

When I do, you will see the gin consumption numbers increase for the US Population...that will be me!!!!
    11-08-10 08:07 AM
    Thanks for the info Prince! All of you guys posting has helped me to decide that I really ought to get with it and at least TRY an OS6 flavor. I'm sure you all will give me moral support if I decide to install over my 975.

I don't use the calendar anymore on my BB...all my email accts are with Google and it just messed up my contacts and calendar so badly that I ditched Google sync and the calendar idea altogether. Just the browser that worries me. Guess I will try later this week. Got some free time.

When I do, you will see the gin consumption numbers increase for the US Population...that will be me!!!!
    Awwww JayDee, it really won't be that bad, besides the gin will make your Baby Bold act really strange due to the moisture on the internals. Oh, you meant that YOU were going to consume the gin!!!!

PS. You know that we will be here for you, hold your nose and JUMP on in.
    11-08-10 08:11 AM
    Congrats to jaydee on 3,000 posts!

And, jaydee, if you do decide to jump into the 6.0.0.333 pool, we're all here to help you along.
    11-08-10 10:24 AM
    Jaydee, of course we'll be here for you gin or no gin!
    11-08-10 11:23 AM
    AwWw you guys are the sweetest! A girl always loves attention, that's for sure! And don't worry, I got lotsa questions already!!

11-08-10 11:41 AM

Sorry to interrupt this regularly scheduled BBOS6 Luv fest...LMAO
    but we got snow...BOB!!!!!!!
    11-08-10 02:58 PM
    You're kidding snow already! It was 70 here today. I know we're going to pay for this soon though.

11-08-10 04:00 PM
    You're kidding snow already! It was 70 here today. I know we're going to pay for this soon though.
    74 here and should be 70's from now on. (pay for this?)We are in payback mode for all the 110 degree paying we did this summer.
    It's all natures wonderful balancing act.
    Nice snow JayDee. Your cold snowy days would be a wonderful time to snuggle up to your baby bold and introduce it to 6/333.
    11-08-10 06:08 PM
    AwWw you guys are the sweetest! A girl always loves attention, that's for sure! And don't worry, I got lotsa questions already!!
    Guys secretly like girls to think they're sweet
    I like your updated pic btw. Now that's "sweet".
    Goin' for 6/333 anytime soon?
    I do believe this incarnation of 6 will keep me from backslidin'.
    11-08-10 07:08 PM
    Guys secretly like girls to think they're sweet
    I like your updated pic btw. Now that's "sweet".
    Goin' for 6/333 anytime soon?
    I do believe this incarnation of 6 will keep me from backslidin'.
    Jim, we can't use a calendar on you to see when you'll switch back...we gotta use an egg-timer....LOL

J/K and ty for the kind words!
    11-08-10 07:15 PM
    Jim, we can't use a calendar on you to see when you'll switch back...we gotta use an egg-timer....LOL

J/K and ty for the kind words!
    Ha,Ha! So true. Two days ago I was on the egg timer. Went back to 5 to try a theme I really liked that was updated. Was headed back to six within minutes. 5 just doesn't do it for me anymore, it seems mundane and kinda old school to me now.
    Side note: I tried a "style" the other day to check the browser and found it to be the smoothest webkit experience yet. So hopefully the bold's is very close to "official".
    11-08-10 07:33 PM

Sorry to interrupt this regularly scheduled BBOS6 Luv fest...LMAO
    but we got snow...BOB!!!!!!!
    Well, wully bully. I'm soooo happy for you, please do me a favor and keep it right there. I'll not be wanting any of it. Got up around 70 or so today, had to work so no golf; however, I'll be on the course tomorrow and I'll probably be in shorts as it is going to be about 80.
    11-08-10 07:42 PM
    Good morning Essex ramblers. Flipping thru my BB6 trays today, I landed on Meterberry and saw free app memory was at 244.x. My guess is the FB 1.9 beta is leaking since everything was fine before.

11-09-10 08:39 AM
    Good morning Essex ramblers. Flipping thru my BB6 trays today, I landed on Meterberry and saw free app memory was at 244.x. My guess is the FB 1.9 beta is leaking since everything was fine before.
    OK, that alone is enough to make me ill. I have to learn a whole new terminology? What the heck is a tray?

And how long is it going to take me to get used to where everything is on my Baby Bold? Can I customize the screen for Favorites? Is that a "tray" too?
    11-09-10 08:50 AM
    Trays are groups of icons. There's: All, Frequent, Favorites, Downloads and Media. You can mark apps as Favorites.

11-09-10 08:55 AM
    So you see the 6 icons at a time and have to scroll through a big long string to get to what you want?

Here's my question: Can I put Contacts, Media, Messages, SMS and BBM on one screen and have it always in front so I can get to it quickly if I need to?

And what does ALL show? All the icons that you don't have in folders?
    Are there folders anymore?
    Can I create a folder for crapps?
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-09-10 at 09:15 AM.
    11-09-10 09:12 AM
    The ALL tray works like OS5 with the default theme does: it can show the first 6 icons, or you can open the tray to see all your apps.

The other trays work the same way. I put 6 frequently used apps at the top of All, 6 different ones on Favs, I have 3 in my Downloads. So I can swipe from left > right or right > left to scroll thru the apps i use most. It's similar to the multiple home screens in android.

You can create a crap folder but not a crap tray.

I'll make a quick video to show you.
    11-09-10 09:21 AM
    Thanks PC!! This will go a long way in calming my fears!
    Now in my Downloads folder, I have currently 30 apps that I use on my phone. They all have icons. What equivalent is there for finding my apps? I put them on the Downloads "Tray" ?

I mean, I know I can put them all on QL but that is way too cumbersome to scroll through and besides, I like the icons.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-09-10 at 09:34 AM.
    11-09-10 09:25 AM
23,186 ... 302303304305306 ...