Good morning all, I'm back from my craptastic Wednesday. I had a memory leak over the weekend, so I thought I'd do a clean install of 280 and purge some of the junk built up since I installed 5.0.0.810 back in the summer. What a nightmare!!!!

The new FB beta doesn't play well with BB6 yet and would cause my Bold to hang at the BlackBerry splash screen. The progress bar would show 100% and just hang there. I took me 5 wipe and reloads to isolate it.

I thought my SD card was hosed, I thought it was a service book issue, corrupt datebases from my backup, I tried everything. I even installed 975 and all my 3rd party apps and then installed 280 over that.

The funny part is when I had the FB beta app before this reinstall, I didn't have any problem rebooting. Very strange!!!!
    Paul,
    Glad that there is nothing higher than a second story window where you are! I was really worried you were gonna be jumping from a roof!!!!

Remember this rule of thumb: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Glad you're back, buddy!
    11-04-10 09:50 AM
    Paul,
    Glad that there is nothing higher than a second story window where you are! I was really worried you were gonna be jumping from a roof!!!!

Remember this rule of thumb: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Glad you're back, buddy!
    Thanks, jaydee. Actually where I am now, the building has 19 floors, this is the one to jump from.

It was broke, I was diagnosing a memory leak.

It's a known issue (on the BB Beta forums) that doing a cabled install of the FB 1.9 beta hoses the OS! Unfortunately I found out the hard way.

So kids, I installed 810 this morning, grabbed all my 3rd party apps and installed them (this way I don't have all those icons on the all tray AND the downloads tray) and upgraded back to 280. Then I did an OTA install of the FB beta and rebooted. It's running like it should now.

Oh btw, jaydee, I broke your record: 8 wipe and reloads in 24 hours
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-04-10 at 01:09 PM.
    11-04-10 01:00 PM
    Actually where I am now, the building has 19 floors, this is the one to jump from.
    I have a bad day coming up tomorrow...I'm gonna need that address!
    11-04-10 01:05 PM
    PC im testing the beta of facebook 1.9 too, i notice a huge memory leak as well, but having the bold is so nice because with 220+ mb of free memory i dont really need to worry about a leak. In time the leak will get plugged but right now my device has lost about 30mb since the last reboot, but like i said i dont have an issue with that cause there is so much free memory.
    11-04-10 01:52 PM
    PC im testing the beta of facebook 1.9 too, i notice a huge memory leak as well, but having the bold is so nice because with 220+ mb of free memory i dont really need to worry about a leak. In time the leak will get plugged but right now my device has lost about 30mb since the last reboot, but like i said i dont have an issue with that cause there is so much free memory.
    I didn't know what was causing it at first, and since i'd gone 732>810>222>280 without a wipe I figured I was due to scrub the thing out. What a pain in the *** that was. I noticed it Sunday, when I went from hovering at 270 MB free, to 254.

The interesting thing was, I installed FB 1.9 using the USB cable the day it was available. No problems! Yesterday when I wiped and reloaded everything, installing FB 1.9 via USB hosed the whole works. How does that happen????????
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-04-10 at 01:58 PM.
    11-04-10 01:55 PM
    Hi all, was wondering something. Do BB's measure RAM and storage as the same pile of free memory? Because I see only the one file in the options under storage. I've had my suspicians because it varies with the os I happen to be running so I'm thinking this is the program memory portion that changes. It's kind of confusing to a relatively new user. If anyone has used winmo at all the big thing there is having loads of RAM(program memory). BB's just lump the two categories together then and call the whole ball of wax storage memory, right?
    11-04-10 02:15 PM
    Well, this morning I installed 975 from Verizon after being happy with 810 for ages.

Went well and my initial boot times were astounding but suddenly that changed. I still have not installed my contacts or calendar. It went from a bit over 4 minutes back to 9 or so. I have rebooted a number of times as I was reinstalling various of the databases. It stayed at 4 or so. About 6 reboots. Then I changed something in Beweather and another permission and bam back up to 9 minutes.

And then finding my activation codes or rather copy/pasting them is still a pain.

Which reminded me - time to install my contacts and calendar (and doing so now)
    11-04-10 04:15 PM
    F2, yeah I was happy at first with my boot times, but I am back to the 8-9 minute ones again too. And then it takes forever to get control of the phone so I have to wait anyway...

So I will be heading to OS6 as soon as they create themes for it.
    11-04-10 08:25 PM
    Well, this morning I installed 975 from Verizon after being happy with 810 for ages.

Went well and my initial boot times were astounding but suddenly that changed. I still have not installed my contacts or calendar. It went from a bit over 4 minutes back to 9 or so. I have rebooted a number of times as I was reinstalling various of the databases. It stayed at 4 or so. About 6 reboots. Then I changed something in Beweather and another permission and bam back up to 9 minutes.

And then finding my activation codes or rather copy/pasting them is still a pain.

You could try 983, It's better than 975 imo anyway. My RF sig didn't ramp around near as much and seemed better over all. Also, curious why you have to re-install calendar + contacts.(edit: never mind I see you got it from verizon) Mine always save and re-install when I upgrade using app loader anyway. btw: my boot times were consistantly around 4 min with 983. Never changing after the initial bootups.
    11-04-10 11:15 PM

F2, yeah I was happy at first with my boot times, but I am back to the 8-9 minute ones again too. And then it takes forever to get control of the phone so I have to wait anyway...

BB6 .280 = ~3.5 minutes.
    11-04-10 11:16 PM

That's odd. I am almost tempted to stage a re-do. I think it had something to do with permissions but I'm not sure. I really loved the 4+ minute reboot.
    11-04-10 11:31 PM
    You could try 983, It's better than 975 imo anyway. My RF sig didn't ramp around near as much and seemed better over all. Also, curious why you have to re-install calendar + contacts.(edit: never mind I see you got it from verizon) Mine always save and re-install when I upgrade using app loader anyway. btw: my boot times were consistantly around 4 min with 983. Never changing after the initial bootups.
    If I recall this is only the second time things did not restore going back to the 8830 and the Tour. Usually, the restoration is automatic. I used Shrink-OS and I made my own backup but it also backed stuff up. My apps were restored but none of my data, my folders, positions, etc - gone.
    11-04-10 11:34 PM
    BoDeb - do not rub it in. I don't want to be scrolling web pages and while I don't change themes much at all, I want a Today theme.
    11-04-10 11:36 PM
    BB6 .280 = ~3.5 minutes.
    Oh yes Bob...glad you're sooooooo modest and would NEVER rub it in!
    Next we have to hear from that gizmo guy about how short HIS boot times are and my day will be complete!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey Essex Ramblers, Happy Friday!
    I wanna tell you about a neat app I discovered the other day out of necessity. I need directions and didn't want to do the "send mapquest directions to my bb email" thing so a friend told me about WAZE.

If you've never tried it, Waze is a turn by turn directions app, using GPS and it reads the directions aloud to you. WooHOO! Works like a charm! You can tweet your findings, you know, if you're stuck in hellacious traffic and the sort, but I needed it simply to get Mom to a doctor's office that we hadn't been to before.

I have to say for a FREE app, color me IMPRESSED. Needs work a bit. The maps as you are driving are spot on. But going around the loops on the Thruway, you know, the curves are not really TURNS to me but I was being told to take a left, etc. but I could deal with it. Street-wise IT WAS GREAT!!!!

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

If you try it, let me know what you think!

My car parked at work right now! Good way for my boss to know I'm really here!!! LOL As if my mouth didn't make it obvious!!!!

Last edited by jaydee5799; 11-05-10 at 07:02 AM. Reason: screen shots of what app can do
    11-05-10 06:50 AM
    BoDeb - do not rub it in. I don't want to be scrolling web pages and while I don't change themes much at all, I want a Today theme.
    you know F2 there is an app out there called Detoday i believe that lets you put your today items (messages, calender, etc) on your homescreen without a theme. It works like the berry weather homescreen icon where it puts it on the screen without the need for a special theme. You could use os6 with that for your today items.
    11-05-10 06:55 AM
    BB6 .280 = ~3.5 minutes.
    +1 - 2 minutes 54

I wanna tell you about a neat app I discovered the other day out of necessity. I need directions and didn't want to do the "send mapquest directions to my bb email" thing so a friend told me about WAZE.

If you've never tried it, Waze is a turn by turn directions app, using GPS and it reads the directions aloud to you. WooHOO! Works like a charm! You can tweet your findings, you know, if you're stuck in hellacious traffic and the sort, but I needed it simply to get Mom to a doctor's office that we hadn't been to before.
    Might have to check this one out, I don't always have my Garmin in the car.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-05-10 at 07:25 AM.
    11-05-10 07:22 AM
    you know F2 there is an app out there called Detoday i believe that lets you put your today items (messages, calender, etc) on your homescreen without a theme. It works like the berry weather homescreen icon where it puts it on the screen without the need for a special theme. You could use os6 with that for your today items.
    Thanks for the info. Does it OVER_RIDE the Beweather stuff or complement it by just overlaying the Today text?

I will say that I settled on what's his name's Storm-x theme months ago and have a nice row of frequently used icons along the bottom and meterberry and Beweather at the top. That coupled with the active battery-meter, 3g, time make for most of what I need.

But truly, what I've read about the browser is the most off-putting - I want a working COLUMN mode or its equivalent.
    11-05-10 11:21 AM
    I will say that I settled on what's his name's Storm-x theme months ago and have a nice row of frequently used icons along the bottom and meterberry and Beweather at the top. That coupled with the active battery-meter, 3g, time make for most of what I need.
    Ah F2, you must mean Al3azim's theme Stormy-x, yes?
    I have all of his themes, too.
    Bob and Jim never let me forget it!
    Very functional, though. Right number of icons and clean.
    11-05-10 11:36 AM
    F2 I haven't used the app myself, but I have heard that both developers have worked together to ensure that the two apps work flawlesly together. So I'm guessing there is no conflict between the two apps. And honestly I don't understand the whole browser issues. I think its way way better than 5.0. It dosent have column view, but if you click once on a block of text it automatically enlarges it and formats it to your screen so you can clearly read it without scrolling side to side. I love the browser. Plus the added benefits of universal search is amazing. Only thing I miss is themes but now with all the customization I can do to beweather I don't miss it as much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 11:38 AM
    Not trying to rub it in, much...

BB6 has a today feature.
    11-05-10 03:33 PM
    Not trying to rub it in, much...

BB6 has a today feature.
    How many calendar entries does it allow?

11-05-10 04:03 PM
    How many calendar entries does it allow?

It seems to have 3, also has emails listed. If it were up to me, i'd turn off the emails and have only the calendar entries and like 5 or 6 of them.
    11-05-10 08:06 PM
    its not the traditional today screen that were used to on os6. It dosent display items when you scroll over the icon, or it dosent display the items all the time. Its a today notification tab basically. It displays emails, texts, bbm, calender, missed calls all on in one tab, but you have to click the tab and a menu drops down and shows these items. I personally like it better that the today items that are available with themes on os5.
    11-05-10 08:14 PM
    Thanks for the info. Does it OVER_RIDE the Beweather stuff or complement it by just overlaying the Today text?

But truly, what I've read about the browser is the most off-putting - I want a working COLUMN mode or its equivalent.
    I agree that the browser can be a little annoying; however, I have found that if you get where you want to be on a web page and use the space bar to page down it works pretty well. Also as rr pointed out, it does reformat for your screen.

You may want to give it a try and see how it works for you.

I have my home screen as clean as I can get it. I have MeterBerry and BeWeather up in the notification area, I've setup WeWeather to use it's theme as transparent as I can get it and have my WP behind that. This works for me as I also like the very clean screen look. I've go all my icons in folders such that I have two rows of folders and Icons below the scroll bar and use QL for darned near everything. It doesn't allow me to setup a shortcut to my email accounts so I have the right conveneince key set to my primary email account and that works like a champ.

All of that to say that I'm happy with BB6, can't see myself going back to OS5 at this point.

Time for another BB6 leak, they have to be in the .3xx range by now.
    11-05-10 08:18 PM
    +1 - 2 minutes 54

You probably shrunk it up better than I did. That was my first time to shrink an OS, I'll be using that trick in the future and I'm sure I'll be figuring out what to ax as time goes on...
    11-05-10 08:22 PM
23,186 ... 300301302303304 ...