OK PC, since you are the upgrade guru around here... where is the list of compatible apps? How do I know if all my 27 apps will work with OS6 or not? Is there a master list? Do I have to go to each app website or something?

and cbreze...upgrading is not all that much fun. You're not missing out on much. Take it from someone who has done waaaayyyyyyy too many ( for all the wrong reasons).
    JD, I don't know of any list of compatible apps, but I can tell you the following work:

GMail 2.0.7
    Google Voice 0.2.0.2
    Google Maps 4.4.0
    Google Sync 0.7.3
    Google Mobile app 3.7.15
    BerryWeather 2.2.01
    Poynt 1.6.0.71
    MeterBerry 2.5.0
    FaceBook 1.8.0.49
    QuickLaunch 3.0.3
    09-21-10 03:01 PM
    I did a search on how to remove the older OS versions from DM6 but did not find the answer. Would anyone please help me out??
    09-21-10 03:26 PM
    I did a search on how to remove the older OS versions from DM6 but did not find the answer. Would anyone please help me out??
    Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > all entries named Blackberry Device Software

09-21-10 03:31 PM
    Bob, it was the easiest update/upgrade I've ever done. There are problems with getting OTA apps reinstalled, so I suggest you follow the method I used; all my apps were restored and I've had no problems at all.

Remove older OS installations from PC
    Install OS6 to PC
    Run DM6
    It should tell you an update is available: 6.0.0.222
    Let it update your device

It appears there is no vendor.xml in the OS since its a leak, so DM6 will do all the work for you: backup data and apps, wipe and load the OS, restore data and apps. Service books weren't an issue either.

I was done in about 30 minutes, and it was very smooth sailing. When I got home, I found out my wifi psk migrated over to the new OS and it connected without any input.

I really couldn't be happier.

lmk if I can help you further.
    OK PC, you have sold me. If this doesn't work I'll send JayDee after you! I'll start in just a few.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 04:31 PM
    bjustice, Try this link, it is at Blackberry and you just input your information and it'll get you to the file:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...C9B1ABBEB84BAA

I just tried it and it and it came up and references Alltel .810.
    09-21-10 04:41 PM
    Im really loving bb6 so far. Been using it three days and i love all the new features. I was experiencing a few bugs and some lag with this build but nothing to make me downgrade back to os5. I installed lyricals newest .222/.236 hybrid just a few minutes ago and it seems to make things a little snappier and run smoother, although i have heard battery life isint the greatest with this particular hybrid. We shall see, but overall i love bb6!
    09-21-10 04:54 PM
    So did you uninstall all other blackberry operating system software from your computer so it doesn't show up in DM?

Did you figure it out? It's just like uninstalling any other software. Follow the screenshot PC gave you here.
    09-21-10 05:25 PM
    So did you uninstall all other blackberry operating system software from your computer so it doesn't show up in DM?

Did you figure it out? It's just like uninstalling any other software. Follow the screenshot PC gave you here.
    I think that I uninstalled it all in the control panel. I am now having problems downloading the 6.0 from the link here on crackberry. The remaining time keeps climbing and its only at 3%. I have been having this trouble. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm so disappointed. I appreciate everyone's help.
    09-21-10 05:46 PM
    What link for 6.0 on Crackberry?
    I think they have all been removed. I thought you had downloaded it already to your pc. I think you have to find someone who downloaded it already or someone who has a mirror download site. It seems BBLeaks has pulled the download.
    So unless you already have a copy of the OS6 file on your pc or have someone who can give it to you...STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 09-21-10 at 06:09 PM.
    09-21-10 06:05 PM
    What link for 6.0 on Crackberry?
    I think they have all been removed. I thought you had downloaded it already to your pc. I think you have to find someone who downloaded it already or someone who has a mirror download site. It seems BBLeaks has pulled the download.
    So unless you already have a copy of the OS6 file on your pc or have someone who can give it to you...STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING
    That would explain a lot!! Do you happen to know of anyone who would help me? I think that is what has been really messing me up. PC had some good help too. Thanks to all!
    09-21-10 06:19 PM
    PC, I think you are safe for the moment. The instll went about 25 minutes. I have been reorganizing all of my icons, I think VZW snuck a few more in for the VZW CrApps folder. I have put almost everything in a folder except my email icons, calendar, contacts and web. I've set the home screen to no bars so all I have at the bottom is the bar that will bring them up. Everything I have had a chance to test is working. Now I need to figure out how to get the space bar to activate QL so that I don't have to hit the bar all of the time to do anything. That would drive me round the bend since I am now doing almost everything with QL. I think there is a thread that tell you how to activate the space bar for QL, I'm going searching for it right now.
    09-21-10 07:09 PM
    PC and Bob, I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about BB6. PC, it sounds like your install went fine. Keep giving us updates. Right now I've got BB6 on my desktop but I'm with Jaydee for now anyway. I just don't have time to deal with any phone problems.

09-21-10 07:19 PM
    PC and Bob, I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about BB6. PC, it sounds like your install went fine. Keep giving us updates. Right now I've got BB6 on my desktop but I'm with Jaydee for now anyway. I just don't have time to deal with any phone problems.

Prince: I've been running for about 2 hours now, no problems at all other than I have not been able to get QL to come up properly. When I hit the space bar I get the screen to add items rather than launch items. As soon as I get that figured out I think I'll be good to go. Don't think it is a big problem, probably something that I have not set right.
    09-21-10 07:38 PM
    Prince: I've been running for about 2 hours now, no problems at all other than I have not been able to get QL to come up properly. When I hit the space bar I get the screen to add items rather than launch items. As soon as I get that figured out I think I'll be good to go. Don't think it is a big problem, probably something that I have not set right.
    Bob you have to enable the dial from homescreen settings to get QL to launch with the toolbar. Just type in homescreen in the universal search and it is the second option (Home Screen Preferences). Under that option, change the launch by Typing option to application shortcuts and then you will be able to launch QL using the spacebar.

*edit*
    it sounds like QL is launching when you click the spacebar, but its not bringing up your normal setup, but rather its sending you to the screen where you add new items. Did you do a restore so it brings back your saved QL setup?
    09-21-10 09:11 PM
    Is there any lag with the OS or is it pretty snappy? Also, what do you guys think about the webkit browser?
    09-21-10 09:16 PM
    overall its pretty snappy. Straight .222 had a little lag when opening the notification bar, but other than that there was a little browser lag but nothing much. The webkit IMO is a little laggy but overall its still 100 times better than the browser in 5.0. I installed lyricals .222/.236 hybrid tonight, and so far its better than straight .222, its got a little less lag, but battery life isint as good as straight .222. Even though the leak is a little buggy i would still recommend it because the features like universal search, webkit browser, and overall a more polished OS makes it far superior to os5
    09-21-10 09:26 PM
    Bob you have to enable the dial from homescreen settings to get QL to launch with the toolbar. Just type in homescreen in the universal search and it is the second option (Home Screen Preferences). Under that option, change the launch by Typing option to application shortcuts and then you will be able to launch QL using the spacebar.

*edit*
    it sounds like QL is launching when you click the spacebar, but its not bringing up your normal setup, but rather its sending you to the screen where you add new items. Did you do a restore so it brings back your saved QL setup?
    When I go to uni-search and type in "Homescreen" I get 5 icons below that search bar, the first is Options (3). I clicked on that and it gives me "Homescreen preferences", "Accessibility", "Homescreen Preferences". Yes, it gives my "Homescreen prefernces" twice. On selecting either of those I get the same dialog box. I have it set to "Application Shortcuts" in the top box.

I didn't restore anything, everyting that I have checked had its data in tact as far as I could see. How/what do I resotre?
    09-21-10 09:50 PM
    Yea after you update all your ql options get reset to default so esentually you have nothing in the app. Hopefully you created a backup within the app so you don't have to set up everything again. Open ql clcik the blackberry button and scroll down to ql options. Once there scroll all the way down to where is says restore and click that. If you backed up your settings before the os upgrade it will find the backup and automatically restore your ql setup.

09-21-10 10:09 PM
    Yea after you update all your ql options get reset to default so esentually you have nothing in the app. Hopefully you created a backup within the app so you don't have to set up everything again. Open ql clcik the blackberry button and scroll down to ql options. Once there scroll all the way down to where is says restore and click that. If you backed up your settings before the os upgrade it will find the backup and automatically restore your ql setup.

Thanks, it did restore them but from the original version of QL that I had loaded. I didn't think to create a backup pre upgrade. Live and learn. I'll recreate my stuff over the next day or so, not a big deal.
    09-21-10 10:29 PM
    I'm with you guys on not wanting any problems. Although I was caught up in the hype and was in the act of pulling the trigger so to speak, but the file had an issue and now there are none to be had so I'm going with this as a sign to hold tight for now, and that my bold is great as ever "as is". My 5.0.xxx.810 is really pretty fine anyway.
    I shall achieve my enjoyment of OS-6 vicariously thru all the early adopters.
    09-21-10 11:47 PM
    I run QL as my right convenience key, not sure what the big deal is about HAVING to have it run via space bar.
    09-22-10 12:28 AM

Prince -

I like OS6 for the most part, there are a few things I miss like shutting off dial from home screen and pressing N to get to BBM. The "trays" I guess they're called, having All apps, Frequent apps and Favorite apps trays can be kind of overkill, the same app could be there 3 times.

I'm pleased overall with memory mgmt, my first boot (almost 48 hours ago) showed 293.3 MB free, and right now I'm at 290.8, but I've added a few things, and Poynt downloads some crap to "complete the installation", stuff like that.

Not laggy or sluggish.

Jim, I'll get you a working OS6 file somehow, someway.

edit: Jim, PM'd you the info you need

edit: many thanks to rryoung for the homescreen tip, I've been searching for that for 2 days, and overlooked it everytime!!
    Last edited by plkcable; 09-22-10 at 07:35 AM.
    09-22-10 07:16 AM
    I love it!! Everything works great!!! A special thank you to plkcable!
    09-22-10 11:24 AM
    You're welcome, let us know what bugs/snags you encounter.
    09-22-10 11:29 AM
    He's a pretty good man to have around the thread, don't ya think?
    PC has helped so many of us out in the past!
    Glad you are up and running bjustice. Enjoy OS6.
    09-22-10 11:32 AM
23,186 ... 281282283284285 ...