Thats how I installed altel's .810 by using app loader and it went without a hitch. This time when I try it, it does not find the os6 file at all. Just saying, I hope this isn't going to be a problem down the road for my next installation. I think I'm going to pass this hybrid by anyhow as it seems to buggy by all reports.
    Did you guys get a prompt to install the latest DM version? It's the next one after 6.0. It was a minor update.
    BTW JayDee, I updated to the next tether version and it seems fine. I'm just always paranoid they might screw up the stealth aspect of it with some new upgrade glitch.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-19-10 at 09:23 AM.
    09-19-10 09:21 AM
    Hey prince,
    Where did you put the D/L'd os6 file? Mine went to desktop by default and I also tried moving it to documents. DM couldn't see it either way. I was prompted to D/L a newer version of DM6 and am wondering if that was why DM doesn't see it. Just wondering. When I open app loader it doesn't show anything but what's on my bold currently.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    cbreze, did you do the decompress/install of the download file? I'm sure you did but just thought I would ask.

I seldom ever download anything to my desktop, I like to keep it fairly clear of clutter. I have a "Software" folder on my "C" drive where I download all software into subfolders for that particular application. That way I keep copies of older stuff in case I need them latter. I then do the decompress/install step from there, once again avoinding the desktop. I've done it this way for years and don't see changing. I also don't like Windows use of their "Documents" folders. I'm on Win 7 and get very annoyed with the security that MS has built into the OS that doesn't allow me to get to a bunch of the folders that are on my system that they want to use for stuff. Just a pet peeve, I don't need them protecting me from me; if I screw something up then it's my fault not theirs.

OK, enough rambling on the soapbox.
    09-19-10 09:50 AM
    By the way, my Seidio 2600 mAh battery came in yesterday. Battery and door fit well on my Baby Bold. Now to give it a few days and see how it performs with this new monster in it.

The phone with the new door fits in the OEM case, albeit a little tight. What I have started doing is to put it to sleep (lock keyboard) by pressing the button on the top left as I slip it into the case, it wakes up when I remove it, this prevents inadvertent key presses as I insert it into the case. I don't find the added thickness to be an issue as I have heard a few complain about. Sure, it would be nice if they could produce an exteded battery like this at the same thickness as the OEM battery and perhaps technology in the future will allow it. For now I'm OK with the thickness of my device.

I'll keep y'all posted over the next week or so on how the new battery performs. I'm presuming that it will take a week or two to get the best performance out of this battery.
    09-19-10 09:58 AM
    Bob, From what I've heard of that battery I think you'll be pleased with it's performance.
    As for decompressing the os6 file, I did not as it is exe. Should I have? I saw nothing about doing so in any upgrade tutorial. Zip, yes , exe no. In any case I'm staying the heck away from this beta hybrid 6 anyway. It seems more are having issues than those that don't. I don't need to mess with my bold thats working fine as is.
    I mostly download to desktop stuff I'm going to use pretty soon, then store it later.
    BTW, I'm using "vista" for the past 3 years or so and almost went to wm7, but found they don't include any kind of document program. Is that right? The guy said it's a $125 add on. I said F*** that! I'm still thinking of an upgrade just keeping my vista laptop for my writing.

My battery story: I like my 1700 because it keeps the stock door. That being said it's not always enough because I'm kinda addicted to using my bold ALOT! So what to do? I had ordered a charging pod and loved the ease to charge it provides. So, I order a 2nd one from Amazon and it never comes. ARRGG!! So I email the supplier and they always take 2 days to respond, but say "oh, so sorry, I take care of it right away", and nothing happens. I email again, same/same and nothing happens. I email a total of 3 times and finally Amazon emails me that unless the supplier/seller sends my pod in 5 more days I'll be off the hook as it is now almost 1 month and thats Amazons deadline for shipping. All I wanted was my pod. So what happens next is really interesting: I start getting pods in the mail everyday. I now have the 3 (1 for each time I emailed them to complain) and the 1 original pod. They never charged me for the 3. So I have 4 pods total and have them all over the house, so plopping my bold into a handy pod is easy as pie and no more battery issues. I basically got 4 pods for the price of one($7.11) For all the trouble and hassle this was I'm keeping them as if I tried to return any I could only imagine what might happen. LOL!
    Thats my story regarding charging pods.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-19-10 at 10:29 AM.
    09-19-10 10:08 AM
    As for decompressing the os6 file, I did not as it is exe. Should I have? I saw nothing about doing so in any upgrade tutorial. Zip, yes , exe no. In any case I'm staying the heck away from this beta hybrid 6 anyway. It seems more are having issues than those that don't. I don't need to mess with my bold thats working fine as is.
    I mostly download to desktop stuff I'm going to use pretty soon, then store it later.
    Wow cbreze! That's some score of charging pods!!!!
    Too bad you couldn't pull that same "trick" (mishap) with...oh...uh...say...a diamond ring maybe...LMAO!!!!!
    I'd ask for one of the four extra you'd have lying around the house...no strings attached!!! You know how we galz LOVE our diamonds!!!!

Now as for the OS6 file, it IS an EXE and yes, you click on it to install it. Then DM will be able to find it. After you download it, you DO have to install it, as Bob suggested.
    09-19-10 10:57 AM

Now as for the OS6 file, it IS an EXE and yes, you click on it to install it. Then DM will be able to find it. After you download it, you DO have to install it, as Bob suggested.
    Yes, I am "pod" rich it seems.
    Thanks for the install tip also btw. Thanks to Bob as well. I'm still fresh from winmo I guess and sometimes it's the simple stuff that I overlook.
    You going to try the os6? It's sounding to buggy to me. It seems alot are bailing out on it and reverting back. If I'm going to go to the trouble, and it would be a bit of trouble since I'm noob at it, I'd prefer something more stable.
    Just my opinion but, from what I've seen, besides a quicker browser experience I don't see a whole lot to get excited about. I really didn't get the bold for it's steller 2.4" browsing screen experience anyway. It's more for calls/message,email/calendar/decent gps and googling info. These things are all done well with my current os. I know, I'm in the minority here ,but on winmo whenever something new came out I was all over it like "yesterday already". One reason I got a BB was for the toned down, yet still solid experience and great, simple functionality for a retired guy.
    Only my $.02 worth
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-19-10 at 12:43 PM.
    09-19-10 12:40 PM
    Bob, From what I've heard of that battery I think you'll be pleased with it's performance.
    BTW, I'm using "vista" for the past 3 years or so and almost went to wm7, but found they don't include any kind of document program. Is that right? The guy said it's a $125 add on. I said F*** that! I'm still thinking of an upgrade just keeping my vista laptop for my writing.

My battery story: I like my 1700 because it keeps the stock door. That being said it's not always enough because I'm kinda addicted to using my bold ALOT! So what to do? I had ordered a charging pod and loved the ease to charge it provides. So, I order a 2nd one from Amazon and it never comes. ARRGG!! So I email the supplier and they always take 2 days to respond, but say "oh, so sorry, I take care of it right away", and nothing happens. I email again, same/same and nothing happens. I email a total of 3 times and finally Amazon emails me that unless the supplier/seller sends my pod in 5 more days I'll be off the hook as it is now almost 1 month and thats Amazons deadline for shipping. All I wanted was my pod. So what happens next is really interesting: I start getting pods in the mail everyday. I now have the 3 (1 for each time I emailed them to complain) and the 1 original pod. They never charged me for the 3. So I have 4 pods total and have them all over the house, so plopping my bold into a handy pod is easy as pie and no more battery issues. I basically got 4 pods for the price of one($7.11) For all the trouble and hassle this was I'm keeping them as if I tried to return any I could only imagine what might happen. LOL!
    Thats my story regarding charging pods.
    LMAO, almost fell out of my chair. I love it! 4 charging pods for the cost of one, wow. I've got two of them, the OEM silver ones and my bably fits and charges just fine with the larger door, no prob there.

The .exe is in fact a zipped or compressed file that needs to be decompressed/installed. (I don't like the install term in this case because it's really only decompressing the files and putting them in a specific folder that is recognizable by DM. At least that is my best understanding. When something is installed in my vernacular that means that it is going to run on your computer which this is not as it is only there to facilitate installation on your device. Probably more symantics than anything else but as a career computer guy that's my take.) My view anyway.

Too bad you couldn't pull that same "trick" (mishap) with...oh...uh...say...a diamond ring maybe...LMAO!!!!!
    I'd ask for one of the four extra you'd have lying around the house...no strings attached!!! You know how we galz LOVE our diamonds!!!!

JayDee, what a girl, always thinking of diamonds... I'd try that but my wife has a very nice dimond ring with a keeper ring with more diamonds and she is not interested in any more as she is not big on jewlery. I'd like to try it on a set of golf clubs if I thought it would work, I need a new set which I have been cogitating about investing in lately. Probably wouldn't work with my luck, they'd just send me the wrong clubs like my experience with my extended battery.

I'm seriously waffling on the leaked BB6, I really want it but I'm a bit unsure of this leak due to problems that I have seen reported. I think that since one has already been leaked there will be others coming soon. Waiting for vzw to test and release may not be practicle, I'm already in my mid 60s and I want sometime in my remaining lifetime!
    09-19-10 03:27 PM

I'm seriously waffling on the leaked BB6, I really want it but I'm a bit unsure of this leak due to problems that I have seen reported. I think that since one has already been leaked there will be others coming soon. Waiting for vzw to test and release may not be practicle, I'm already in my mid 60s and I want sometime in my remaining lifetime!
    Jaydee alerted me to the BB6 leak on Saturday, I'd been sick since Thrusday so no CB updates. I just installed BB6 now and did my first reboot, and with all my app loaded, it took AT MOST 2 minutes.

Working my way thru the new layout now, but I can see how this is going to be a definite winner.

Bob, give it a try. If you decide it's not for you, roll back to 810.
    09-20-10 08:28 AM
    Well PC, nice to see you back among the LIVING again. We were worried about ya.

And congrats on OS6 all you early movers and shakers. You can all tell me about your experiences since I won't be adopting for a fairly long time. I enjoy my themes too much to be leaving them for OS6. And besides, if I had chirps with 810...I will probably have piped-in disco music with OS6...LOL
    09-20-10 09:24 AM
    LMAO...that's too funny jaydee. I just had a vision of Disco Inferno blasting from your phone!

09-20-10 10:06 AM

And congrats on OS6 all you early movers and shakers. You can all tell me about your experiences since I won't be adopting for a fairly long time. I enjoy my themes too much to be leaving them for OS6. And besides, if I had chirps with 810...I will probably have piped-in disco music with OS6...LOL
    ROFLMAO! Piped-in disco! So far (2 hours in) I'm very pleased. No lag, no spinning clocks and 2 minute reboots! Browsing is noticeably improved, as we all expected.

The lag in the video that Adam did is most likely due to being a really fresh install, service books and other pushed crap will slow down any OS for a bit. OS5 on my Bold had lag for the first few minutes after a reboot.

Now that BB6 is here, I'm not looking back!
    09-20-10 10:14 AM
    48 hours after installing BB6 OS my phone now runs silky smooth. Definitely a keeper for me. No issues so far except for one reboot in the first 6 hours of use. All apps have been working great for me. The new browser is so much better than the OS5 browser. The first hour of install was really laggy...but now it just works.
    09-20-10 03:04 PM

JayDee, you crack me up. (<=== A little old fashioned terminology) Why are you worried about themes? Do they go away in BB6? Did I miss something here?

ROFLMAO! Piped-in disco! So far (2 hours in) I'm very pleased. No lag, no spinning clocks and 2 minute reboots! Browsing is noticeably improved, as we all expected.

The lag in the video that Adam did is most likely due to being a really fresh install, service books and other pushed crap will slow down any OS for a bit. OS5 on my Bold had lag for the first few minutes after a reboot.

Now that BB6 is here, I'm not looking back!
    PC, Sounds like you have had exceptional success with your BB6 install, if you have been reading the posts lots of folks have had issues to the point that I backed off on installing. Now you talk about how easily it installed and how well it runs and I'm bock on the fence again.

Would you give me a brief rundown on the steps you used to do your install? One of the items that I saw talks about a solution to the many folks that are having problems getting the browser up, he said to backup the servicebooks from OS5 before begining the BB6 install. I'm well aware of doing a full backup including 3rd party apps, I use DM for that because BBSAK has not worked well for me so I'm not comfortable with using it. DM has worked like a champ so I'll stay with what works for me.

Anyhow, a little guidance would be appreciated. Based on the steps that you took I my bite the bullet tomorrow PM and see how it goes. I know I can roll back to .810 if necessary, I still have the file on my PC.
    09-20-10 10:02 PM
    JayDee, you crack me up. (<=== A little old fashioned terminology) Why are you worried about themes? Do they go away in BB6? Did I miss something here?

PC, Sounds like you have had exceptional success with your BB6 install, if you have been reading the posts lots of folks have had issues to the point that I backed off on installing. Now you talk about how easily it installed and how well it runs and I'm bock on the fence again.

Would you give me a brief rundown on the steps you used to do your install?
    Bob, it was the easiest update/upgrade I've ever done. There are problems with getting OTA apps reinstalled, so I suggest you follow the method I used; all my apps were restored and I've had no problems at all.

Remove older OS installations from PC
    Install OS6 to PC
    Run DM6
    It should tell you an update is available: 6.0.0.222
    Let it update your device

It appears there is no vendor.xml in the OS since its a leak, so DM6 will do all the work for you: backup data and apps, wipe and load the OS, restore data and apps. Service books weren't an issue either.

I was done in about 30 minutes, and it was very smooth sailing. When I got home, I found out my wifi psk migrated over to the new OS and it connected without any input.

I really couldn't be happier.

lmk if I can help you further.
    Last edited by plkcable; 09-21-10 at 07:57 AM.
    09-21-10 07:50 AM
    Bob, it was the easiest update/upgrade I've ever done. There are problems with getting OTA apps reinstalled, so I suggest you follow the method I used; all my apps were restored and I've had no problems at all.

Install OS6 to PC
    Run DM6

It appears there is no vendor.xml in the OS since its a leak, so DM6 will do all the work for you: backup data and apps, wipe and load the OS, restore data and apps. Service books weren't an issue either.

I was done in about 30 minutes, and it was very smooth sailing. When I got home, I found out my wifi psk migrated over to the new OS and it connected without any input.

Oh sure PC, you make it sound soooo simple; I could almost fall for your syrupy sweet story of OS6 BLISS....
    ROFLMAO

You all KNOW what happens to poor ole JayDee when she upgrades! Lightning strikes the earth, the oceans dry up, the sun goes dim, the earth is scorched, and H_E_L_L on earth becomes my nightmare...
    and I spend three days trying to regain control of my Bold from some botched upgrade!

Oh no! No! No!
    You will NOT convince ME to change to OS6 you you, you, you..sweet-talker PC!

And you Bob...at your age! LOL
    09-21-10 09:25 AM
    Oh sure PC, you make it sound soooo simple; I could almost fall for your syrupy sweet story of OS6 BLISS....
    ROFLMAO

You all KNOW what happens to poor ole JayDee when she upgrades! Lightning strikes the earth, the oceans dry up, the sun goes dim, the earth is scorched, and H_E_L_L on earth becomes my nightmare...
    and I spend three days trying to regain control of my Bold from some botched upgrade!

Oh no! No! No!
    You will NOT convince ME to change to OS6 you you, you, you..sweet-talker PC!

And you Bob...at your age! LOL
    JD, I hate to disappoint you, but it was really that easy. My jaw dropped when DM found the OS and told me I had an update.

I will say this: not all apps are OS6 ready and that may be an issue from some of you. Mine all seem to work and/or have been updated for OS6 (QL, BerryWeather, Poynt). I don't do themes; with all the devices I've owned I've only tried 2 themes: one on S2 and one on my Tour. The stock theme works for me.

The more I use OS6 the more I like it.
    09-21-10 09:41 AM
    PC, can you link me to the altel .810 os? I did a search using "altel .810" and nothing re the actual old sticky with that file on it came up. Whatever happened to that sticky anyway? Used to be at the top of the essex thread I thought. In any case I'd feel better knowing where it is in case I decide to jump on the OS6 bandwagon and want/need to go back.
    My concerns re OS6 are: 1. I lose all my cool themes.
    2. I could have issues with some of my apps
    3. I don't like the browsers zooming capabilities.
    (I prefer to have my font one size and not have to
    zoom in/out all the time) (is this the case with 6?)
    However: since I've only done one BB upgrade EVERI could use the experience. This reason alone is enough to want to make me try it. I was a whiz at winmo and feel very in-adequate with BB upgrading. This I wish to change.
    09-21-10 10:11 AM
    PC, can you link me to the altel .810 os? I did a search using "altel .810" and nothing re the actual old sticky with that file on it came up. Whatever happened to that sticky anyway? Used to be at the top of the essex thread I thought. In any case I'd feel better knowing where it is in case I decide to jump on the OS6 bandwagon and want/need to go back.
    My concerns re OS6 are: 1. I lose all my cool themes.
    3. I don't like the browsers zooming capabilities.
    (I prefer to have my font one size and not have to
    zoom in/out all the time) (is this the case with 6?)
    However: since I've only done one BB upgrade EVERI could use the experience. This reason alone is enough to want to make me try it. I was a whiz at winmo and feel very in-adequate with BB upgrading. This I wish to change.
    cbreze, not sure where the sticky went. Here's your link Obviously, chose Bold 9650 from the dropdown:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...03923A1C591DB4

enjoy!
    Last edited by plkcable; 09-21-10 at 10:22 AM.
    09-21-10 10:16 AM
    Thanks!!***

09-21-10 10:22 AM

OK PC, since you are the upgrade guru around here... where is the list of compatible apps? How do I know if all my 27 apps will work with OS6 or not? Is there a master list? Do I have to go to each app website or something?

and cbreze...upgrading is not all that much fun. You're not missing out on much. Take it from someone who has done waaaayyyyyyy too many ( for all the wrong reasons).
    09-21-10 10:25 AM
    It would seem the D/L links are not accessabile anymore at BBleaks. Copyright infringement or something, they've been removed/blocked. Not sure where everyone's getting it now. Chime in anybody? I'm still on the fence, but in case I fall off......would maybe like to snag a copy if that's still do-able.
    09-21-10 10:47 AM
    It would seem the D/L links are not accessabile anymore at BBleaks. Copyright infringement or something, they've been removed/blocked. Not sure where everyone's getting it now. Chime in anybody? I'm still on the fence, but in case I fall off......would maybe like to snag a copy if that's still do-able.
    I'll PM you a link. Let me BBM someone who's hosting the file.
    09-21-10 10:55 AM

Install OS6 to PC
    Run DM6

I hate to sound too ignorant but can you please give me a step by step for this? I have only done one leak and it was fine. I cannot get this one to work. I have a verizon 9650. I appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks.
    09-21-10 02:48 PM
    I hate to sound too ignorant but can you please give me a step by step for this? I have only done one leak and it was fine. I cannot get this one to work. I have a verizon 9650. I appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks.
    Post #7169 has the list of steps that I used to install OS6 on my VZW Bold 9650
    09-21-10 02:53 PM
    Yes, I saw that but I do not know how to remove the old OS versions from my DTM 6.
    09-21-10 02:59 PM
23,186 ... 280281282283284 ...