It's not that I expect this device to be indestructible or impermeable to moisture. I just did not expect that exposure to mist would brick it. I just expected that if my LG could take it then the Bold should be able to hold up in similar conditions. I am concerned because I travel frequently to humid areas and I don't want to inadvertently kill my phone. I will take your advice and search around for solutions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 03:14 PM
    I agree with Jaydee and cbreze. If it's raining, I put my device in my pocket and it stays there. Do not under any circumstance let any water or moisture get to the device. That's just the way it is.

08-29-10 03:43 PM
    I think they should do a better job at constructing them to make them easier to use when there IS a light rain - sometimes you just have to answer the phone. What if it's an emergency?! But smart phones are oftentimes more delicate than other phones, so it's kind of to be expected!

Jaydee, up until I went to the dentist I resorted to that! Lol. I kind of HATE the way all of the wine I've had tastes (I want something really, really fruity and sweet but everything is so bitter!) except for the Boonesfarm, but that was more like a strawberry soda with a little punch. Knocked me out enough for me to sleep, though!
    08-29-10 03:58 PM
    It's not that I expect this device to be indestructible or impermeable to moisture. I just did not expect that exposure to mist would brick it. I just expected that if my LG could take it then the Bold should be able to hold up in similar conditions. I am concerned because I travel frequently to humid areas and I don't want to inadvertently kill my phone. I will take your advice and search around for solutions.

Here in Illinois it's been hot and humid much of the summer. Today it's 92 with almost 46% humidity. The humid weather hasn't affected my Bold at all, other than the trackpad gets a little slippery.
    Last edited by princebb; 08-29-10 at 06:11 PM.
    08-29-10 05:02 PM
    Prince, it's pretty much the same here in the NY metro area. Your summertime
    climate conditions sound a lot like mine. I have visited chicago a few times in the winter though and got a new definition of cold. Lol. I probably have used my Bold walking to and from my car when it was raining - never gave it a second thought. However, I surely won't be doing that any more. Btw I don't take my Bold into the shower - that would be my teenage daughter who doesn't want to miss a text or tweet or FB alert or whatever. : D

08-29-10 05:51 PM
    Only 46% humidity? Thats not too bad, lets here from Miami/Houston where it's 100F + 100% humidity....the phone will shut its self down!
    08-29-10 06:01 PM
    Here in Illinois it's been hot and humid much of the summer. Today it's 92 with almost 46% humidity. The humid weather hasn't affected my Bold at all, other than the trackpad gets a little slipppery.
    Temp in the ROT - Hill Country has been in the high 90's and low 100's with the humidity in the high 80's. I've had no problems from my baby Bold, including being out on the golf course. I think the problem is more to do with moisture getting inside the phone and gaining access to the electronics there-in.
    08-29-10 06:03 PM
    sorry about a double post but Im not going to even let my dog pant next to this phone! So much for taking it to Belgium next month, it rains there.
    08-29-10 06:06 PM
    Prince, it's pretty much the same here in the NY metro area. Your summertime
    climate conditions sound a lot like mine. I have visited chicago a few times in the winter though and got a new definition of cold. Lol. I probably have used my Bold walking to and from my car when it was raining - never gave it a second thought. However, I surely won't be doing that any more. Btw I don't take my Bold into the shower - that would be my teenage daughter who doesn't want to miss a text or tweet or FB alert or whatever. : D

I'm about an hour northwest of Chicago, I believe it might be colder here than in the city, so I know what you're talking about.
    08-29-10 06:07 PM
    I take extremely good care of all of my stuff, especially expensive phones. I find it completely unacceptable that the phone would act up with the extremely small amount of moisture it was subjected to. So I guess no one in the Pacific Northwest can own a blackberry??
    I own one but kept the two priors 8830 and Tour in an Otterbox Defender and even then when I go hiking, biking and cross-country skiing I place them in a plastic bag. The Defender has some form of gauze over the earpieces and microphone - might be goretex. The current Bold is in a Otter Commuter but I moved the plastic keyboard membrane to this case. And on today's hike to Mt Rainier, it was inside a plastic bag inside my lunch bag. I did take it out to take a photo.

I, too, am amazed that they are so darn moisture sensitive. If I had to guess it would be because they stuff so much electronics in there, there is no allowance for more weight or space for membranes.
    08-29-10 08:43 PM
    For those wet spots.

08-30-10 10:57 AM
    For those wet spots.

Wow...thanks. This will be just perfect for my use.
    08-30-10 09:38 PM
    I spoke to tech support at Verizon and was lucky enough to get a long time BB user who new the device in and out! He told me "absolutely no problem using phone when its raining!" Obviously be careful and know the difference between a monsoon or just steady rain. He had me check both of my moisture meters (one on battery and one inside phone) and both indicated zero moisture in the device.

Cbreze, thanks for the listing but I'm not going to put my good looking phone in that thing (no offense), if it can't handle moisture then it's not meant to be. The good news is the phone is not having any issues now (might even put it in the bathroom while I shower lol)
    08-31-10 12:07 AM
    Cbreze, thanks for the listing but I'm not going to put my good looking phone in that thing (no offense), if it can't handle moisture then it's not meant to be. The good news is the phone is not having any issues now (might even put it in the bathroom while I shower lol)
    (no offense taken,LOL)Glad you got it all back to working again properly. I just happened to see the case while browsing around the CB store. Not my style either.
    08-31-10 08:55 AM
    Well I broke down and did the hard reset/wipe with the assistance of another awsome tech support dude from Verizon. Not only is the Bold working perfectly, but the two minor issues I was having are both gone!! We also discusssed the moisture issue and he laughed! He takes his out fishing off San Diego and his BB gets wet with NO issues! As evidenced by the moisture tabs not turning pink, no moisture was actually inside the phone and he is not sure why the keyboard reacted the way it did. So I guess I won't be as afraid to be out in the "wild".
    08-31-10 03:46 PM
    SoCal...a wipe and reload was all it took? Sheesh!!!
    I coulda' helped you with that!!!
    Ask anybody! I'm an old pro...right? Five OS installs in about 5 days!!!!

Glad your phone is fixed and you're feeling better about it!
    08-31-10 04:19 PM
    Thanks Jaydee! I originally phoned to ask about the issues and the guy was absolutely a BB expert and volunteered to get it done right then and now. I will definately be asking for plenty more help from you in the future! :+)
    08-31-10 04:37 PM
    Where did everyone go?
    09-01-10 02:49 PM
    Where did everyone go?
    Yeah, the whole forum seems quieter as well as the essex thread. Maybe the calm before the storm, with the storm being BB6 coming soon.

09-01-10 03:59 PM
    Where did everyone go?
    Been fighting my 9650 big time. About a week ago it started acting like my storm 1 just awful. New phone and different issues this week !
    09-01-10 06:00 PM
    I've been swamped at work. What's new here?
    09-01-10 07:17 PM
    I've been swamped at work. What's new here?
    Darn, you missed the release of OS6 and its immediate replacement with OS7. Turns the Bold into Hal but he will open the pod bay doors.
    09-01-10 08:08 PM
    For those of you that use Meterberry, it has been updated to v2.5.0 and fixes the incorrect system memory reading, among other things.

Developer Message:

If you experience any strange behavior with this update, please uninstall MeterBerry, reboot, and then reinstall it. New features: 1) Color-coded, customizable banner indicator. Display battery level, temperature, or free application memory in the banner / notification area. 2) Estimated battery time remaining is now shown on MeterBerry's main screen, and in a color-coded home screen icon. 3) OS 6.0 / Torch 9800 support. Use Reset Mode 3 (the new default) in MeterBerry's options for device resets on the Torch 9800. 4) Fixes for incorrect memory totals on some devices.

edit: the device memory shows 32.0 MB??? somethings still not right, I'll send a bug report.

edit: it's reading the device memory set aside for media storage.

SoCal...a wipe and reload was all it took? Sheesh!!!
    I coulda' helped you with that!!!
    Ask anybody! I'm an old pro...right? Five OS installs in about 5 days!!!!

Glad your phone is fixed and you're feeling better about it!
    Indeed you are a pro, 5 reloads in as many days??? LOL
    Last edited by plkcable; 09-02-10 at 08:46 AM.
    09-02-10 07:26 AM
    Whoa!!!!

IS that a PC sighting I see????

OMG! He's baaaaaccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!
    Welcome home Paul! We missed you!
    09-02-10 07:58 AM
    Whoa!!!!

IS that a PC sighting I see????

OMG! He's baaaaaccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!
    Welcome home Paul! We missed you!
    Thank you JD, yes, it's been a little crazy lately. I'm back and I'm 7 posts away from 1,500!
    09-02-10 07:59 AM
23,186 ... 275276277278279 ...