Howdy all!! Been away from the CB for a week or so but I'm getting caught up. My battery is doing great so far though I'm not the user that Jaydee is!! I almost got sucked into the droid X but held fast! What is this OS upgrade? I havent syncd in 1 week, will it prompt me for the upgrade? Should I upgrade? Anyway I hope all is well with everyone.
    It's not a sanctioned upgrade by anyone but alltel. There is a sticky as to the how-to at the top of the forum.(.810) is the official v. #.
    I found even better battery life, improved browser speed. and amazingly much improved screen transitioning. Also sharper,crisper,slightly louder sounds overall. IMHO def better than the 732 was. It's easy to install if you read up on the info.
    I guess a YMMV is in order as some have said nothing noticable was observed. I'm glad I did it. In my view it's a positive upgrade.
    08-01-10 12:39 PM
    I am not with alltell but Verizon so i guess I will wait until its released.
    08-01-10 01:51 PM
    I am not with alltell but Verizon so i guess I will wait until its released.
    Thats cool , I'm with verizon also.
    Most all the upgraders are with verizon not alltel. No telling how long verizon will be releasing it.
    08-01-10 02:10 PM
    Hey cbreze, it's great to hear that .810 is working so well for you. I'm going to stick with .732, I'm not having any issues with it at all, very solid. You mentioned that the browser is faster, is java disabled and did you have java disabled when you were running .732? Just wondering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 02:16 PM
    Hey cbreze, it's great to hear that .810 is working so well for you. I'm going to stick with .732, I'm not having any issues with it at all, very solid. You mentioned that the browser is faster, is java disabled and did you have java disabled when you were running .732? Just wondering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah, my bold on .732 was great including the browser with Jscript disabled and I was really fine with it. I just got the itch as usual to try the next upgrade. I did nothing different with the browser after the upgrade kept same settings, column mode/JSript still disabled. It was fine before, just a bit snappier now. The biggest thing I noticed tho was battery life and just smoother screen transitions. If your fine where your at then you should stick. Some others have reported no big diffs, so as usual YMMV.
    08-01-10 02:25 PM
    I would hate to consider a bigger battery that made my sleek phone a monster. I am getting a second battery and now just need to buy an external charger so I can keep it charged and in my purse to hold me over on the days i burn through mine.

Did not do my upgrade yet and seriously doubt I will this weekend.

Just not feeling it.

And conducting battery experiments with PC and I have come to conclusion that BBM is a battery sucker and that 9650 is woefully underpowered with current battery...RIM needs to issue a battery with more power for a phone that does what our phone does.

Off to buy an external charger now...
    Have a good day all you Essex threaders!!!!
    Told'ya we needed more battery power for these wonderful baby Bolds.
    08-01-10 03:24 PM
    Yeah, my bold on .732 was great including the browser with Jscript disabled and I was really fine with it. I just got the itch as usual to try the next upgrade. I did nothing different with the browser after the upgrade kept same settings, column mode/JSript still disabled. It was fine before, just a bit snappier now. The biggest thing I noticed tho was battery life and just smoother screen transitions. If your fine where your at then you should stick. Some others have reported no big diffs, so as usual YMMV.
    I seem to have minimally better battery life with .810; however, I didn't have as good a battery life as Cbreze did on .732. I agree, it seems to be a little bit snappier in general. I think my biggest improvement is less fluctuation on signal strength and I seem to keep a third bar most of the time at home where I was doing well to get 2 most of the time before.
    08-01-10 03:29 PM
    I would hate to consider a bigger battery that made my sleek phone a monster. I am getting a second battery and now just need to buy an external charger so I can keep it charged

Off to buy an external charger now...
    Have a good day all you Essex threaders!!!!
    If you don't mind, let me/us know what type of external charger you come up with. I wrote in another thread, I may be doing two weeks of camping and might need to use my old Tour battery as a spare and might need to charge it, particularly, through the car-charger-adapter.
    08-01-10 06:01 PM
    If you don't mind, let me/us know what type of external charger you come up with. I wrote in another thread, I may be doing two weeks of camping and might need to use my old Tour battery as a spare and might need to charge it, particularly, through the car-charger-adapter.
    F2 I just bought this and checked with PC who has owned several bbs including a Storm2 and Tour to make sure it is the right one. This one charges the D size battery we use.
    BlackBerry ASY-18976-002 RIM OEM BLKBERRY MICRO USB XTRA BATT CHRGR D

So i ordered it.
    Now as for using it in the car?
    I don't know...
    08-01-10 06:28 PM
    Thanks. Will await your review. It does not show much of anything in the picture - cord with plug or plug directly into socket.
    08-01-10 08:30 PM
    Hey all, just had a wild ride with Desktop Manager 6 this morning. I nneded to restore one memopad entry, and had to reinstall DM to my work Pc, so I thought "what the heck, get the new leak!"

After fooling around with the .NET framework SPx update nonsense it loaded up and looked really slick. The first thing it did was look for updated device apps and when I saw I had porugese language installed I clicked on it to remove it.

When I clicked Next it ended up wiping and reloading my OS, data and 3rd party apps and adding asian languages (?????? why the heck would i want these?).

I was so mad I could scream. I tried using the advanced restore to add the stupid memo that was the main reason for DM anyway I couldn't get it work.

My beta BBM was removed and not reinstalled. I ended up installed DM 5.x adding my memo and reinstalling the BBM beta.

On the positive side, boot time is better and I picked up a MB or 2 of free app memory.

If anyone wants the link to DM6 send me a PM. Proceed with caution, the GUI is a lot different than what we're used to in DM5.
    Last edited by plkcable; 08-02-10 at 02:09 PM.
    08-02-10 10:59 AM
    Hey all, just had a wild ride with Desktop Manager 6 this morning. I nneded to restore one memopad entry, and had to reinstall DM to my work Pc, so I thought "what the heck, get the new leak!"

After fooling around with the .NET framework SPx update nonsense it loaded up and looked really slick. The first thing it did was look for updated device apps and when I saw I had porugese language installed I clicked on it to remove it.

When I clicked Next it ended up wiping and reloading my OS, data and 3rd party apps and adding asian languages (?????? why the heck would i want these?).

I was so mad I could scream. I tried using the advanced restore to add the stupid memo that was the main reason for DM anyway I couldn't get it work.

My beta BBM was removed and not reinstalled. I ended up installed DM 5.x adding my memo and reinstalling the BBM beta.

On the positive side, boot time is better and I picked up a MB or 2 of free app memory.

If anyone wants the link to DM6 send me a PM. Proceed with caution, the GUI is a lot different than what we're used to DM5.
    I have the official beta on DM6, it has worked well for me. I used it to install .810 with no problems. Wonder if the leak is an earlier version than the one they gave us for the official beta group.

I like the new UI, it is pretty slick and seems to work well for me. I also used it to remove all of my calendar entries when I ended up with duplicates (triplicates), it did it smoothly and when I sync'd my phone after the delete everything was OK.
    08-02-10 11:22 AM
    Oh Bob, I wish I was as adventurous as you!
    I still cannot bring myself to install .810!
    08-02-10 11:41 AM
    I have the official beta on DM6, it has worked well for me. I used it to install .810 with no problems. Wonder if the leak is an earlier version than the one they gave us for the official beta group.

I like the new UI, it is pretty slick and seems to work well for me. I also used it to remove all of my calendar entries when I ended up with duplicates (triplicates), it did it smoothly and when I sync'd my phone after the delete everything was OK.
    I have:

ProductVersion=6.0.0.30

I just didn't take enough time to get familiar with it before saying ok. I was only on my second cup of coffee
    08-02-10 11:44 AM
    Oh Bob, I wish I was as adventurous as you!
    I still cannot bring myself to install .810!
    You gotta get with the program girl!

I'm still pleased with .810, no problems at all and a little better signal. I'm doing like you, I carry a spare battery in case I need to do a swap during the day. Not the best but it works. I would love to get the kind of battery life that cbreze gets, his is awesome.
    08-02-10 11:46 AM
    Bob,

How long did your OS upgrade take from start to finish? Really thinking I should do it to see if there are any improvements for battery life and signal quality. I downloaded .810 already but wondering if I can get it done in time to go to my appointments this evening! Thanks!

Matt
    08-02-10 11:54 AM
    Bob,

How long did your OS upgrade take from start to finish? Really thinking I should do it to see if there are any improvements for battery life and signal quality. I downloaded .810 already but wondering if I can get it done in time to go to my appointments this evening! Thanks!

Matt
    It usually took me about an hour to BBSAK wipe & reload, restore data and reinstall 3rd party apps. you should have enough time this afternoon to get it done.

I haven't done the 810 update either JD, you're not alone. Not enough issues with 732 to convince me.
    08-02-10 11:58 AM
    It usually took me about an hour to BBSAK wipe & reload, restore data and reinstall 3rd party apps. you should have enough time this afternoon to get it done.

I haven't done the 810 update either JD, you're not alone. Not enough issues with 732 to convince me.
    plkcable - So you recommend using BBSAK? I've got it installed on my laptop but had read some threads on here using the desktop manager and things went well. This will be my first time running an OS update on a bberry but I've flashed other feature phones in the past... Just wondering which set of instructions I should be following if I decide to take the plunge this afternoon. Thanks Guys!

Matt
    08-02-10 12:03 PM
    plkcable - So you recommend using BBSAK? I've got it installed on my laptop but had read some threads on here using the desktop manager and things went well. This will be my first time running an OS update on a bberry but I've flashed other feature phones in the past... Just wondering which set of instructions I should be following if I decide to take the plunge this afternoon. Thanks Guys!

Matt
    I always use BBSAK. I click Wipe OS, let it run, rebbot my device, then click Load OS. It removes the vendor.xml file, and initiates the loader.exe. I walk thru the options and let it go!

It's a very painless process. No hunting for the vendor file, no disconnecting from the internet because DM only wants to grab the official carrier releases, no BS.

You will have to reinstall you 3rd party apps, but like I said I can do the whole deed in less than an hour.
    08-02-10 12:10 PM
    Alright PC, I'll bite... Can you point me to a good source for a BBSAK walkthru on updating the OS. Everything from backing up 3rd party apps and emails, etc... to actually running the update? I'll go hit up google, but it sound like you've got quite a bit of experience with it and may know a great place I can reference!
    Thanks!
    Matt
    08-02-10 12:13 PM
    Alright PC, I'll bite... Can you point me to a good source for a BBSAK walkthru on updating the OS. Everything from backing up 3rd party apps and emails, etc... to actually running the update? I'll go hit up google, but it sound like you've got quite a bit of experience with it and may know a great place I can reference!
    Thanks!
    Matt
    Well.....I am going to write one of those since there isn't one already AFAIK. It's pretty simple. I've dont it probably 20 - 25 times with my Storm, Storm2 and Tour, giving just about every OS for those devices a try.

Using DM: If you install 810 to your pc and browse to the folder C:/Progam Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/ AppLoader, delete the vendor.xml file.

Then do the upgrade, it will back everything up for you and reinstall your apps, and you're done. you may have to reenter the activation codes on any paid apps.

Give this thread a read: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...pdates-420811/

Civic is a Crackberry MasterGenius
    Last edited by plkcable; 08-02-10 at 12:38 PM.
    08-02-10 12:35 PM
    Bob,

Matt

I would agree with PC, that about an hour should do it. I didn't really time how long it took so I can't be very specific.
    08-02-10 12:46 PM
    One more quick question - will this wipe all of my text messages, emails and call logs out completely? I may have to go through them all and see if I need to save some, etc if that is the case...
    08-02-10 01:12 PM
    Took me about 90 min., but that was including the os D/L to my laptop and being a first timer. I tried to use bbsak during the process and could not get it to work correctly. I'm sure it was just me tho as I'd never used it before. So when I used DM to save my data settings it apparently saved my apps also, and they were all in place when I resynced data after the process. Only thing missing was the license codes and weird not all but most had to be reinputed, no big deal as I have them all. Everything else went great, no issues. Took forever to boot the first time and even subsequent boots take about the same as with .732, I see no big diff in boot times.
    Re: bbsak. I'd like to try it again and wish there was a step by step guide for us noobs. All in all tho I am very, very glad I took the plunge. I'm not sure why some had differing experiences with the end results, but then some bold owners report issues I've never had right out of the box. So the old rule YMMV always does seem to apply.
    08-02-10 01:16 PM
    One more quick question - will this wipe all of my text messages, emails and call logs out completely? I may have to go through them all and see if I need to save some, etc if that is the case...
    My emails were still there when I resynced data with dm./call logs also I think.
    08-02-10 01:18 PM
23,186 ... 264265266267268 ...