So I'm taking from your statement that our v5.00 os apps won't work on os6? I'm concerned about some of the pricier, more neccessary ones like "tether". I'm sure it will be a matter of time before the devs configure things to work, but maybe not right out of the gate then. Something like not having tether would prevent me from upgrading. Also diff os would maybe mean upgrade charges for the apps., just speculating.
    Based on the fact that there are some pretty basic changes to the OS in BB 6, it is concievable that some apps would not work. That said, I think one of two things should happen (on the part of RIM), first they should really be making the OS backward compatible so that older apps will function. There are occasions where this is done and the older apps function but not as designed to. Secondly, or alternatively as the case may be, RIM should make copies of the OS or at least the procedures that 3rd party SW developers would need, available to them so that they can modify their SW to be compatible. They really shouldn't charge for this type of upgrade because they are not giving you any additional features fow which they deserve compensation.

Now, that said, I realize that although it should it doesn't always happen this way. In my experience as an IT person for over 30 years, i've seen it happen both ways. What some SW houses will also do is add some small functionallity to the app and claim that the SW is an upgrade and oh, by the way it is also compatible with .....

I too would be hesitant to upgrade to BB 6 if all of my apps are not compatible and I have to purchase new versions to be able to use them. I also believe that the BB community would be up in arms about that which should get somebody's attention and perhaps fix the problem. Time will tell.

I'm also retired so I can ramble toooooooo!
    07-29-10 04:35 PM
    Just from the way the market is moving I don't think this will be a drawn out upgrade and yeah those of you that want could stay with 5 BUT once 6 is in do you think your apps will get any upgrades or your OS?
    6 is going to be the standard OS and most if not all developers will be working on that.
    Last edited by wizard87; 07-29-10 at 07:12 PM.
    07-29-10 07:10 PM
    Just from the way the market is moving I don't think this will be a drawn out upgrade and yeah those of you that want could stay with 5 BUT once 6 is in do you think your apps will get any upgrades or your OS?
    6 is going to be the standard OS and most if not all developers will be working on that.
    +1 The long and the short of the issue is how long before any apps that don't work on BB 6 are updated to recognize the OS changes. I'm hopeful that RIM pre-releases code to developers to allow them to have their apps ready when BB 6 is released.

Of course we know that vzw will test the new os til they wear it out before we get our hands on it.
    07-29-10 09:25 PM
    +1 The long and the short of the issue is how long before any apps that don't work on BB 6 are updated to recognize the OS changes. I'm hopeful that RIM pre-releases code to developers to allow them to have their apps ready when BB 6 is released.

Of course we know that vzw will test the new os til they wear it out before we get our hands on it.
    Yeah, one of the reasons I am not too excited about OS 6. I am not willing to go without my apps just to have a new OS. I want my apps too. ANd I don't wanna re-purchase them all either.

Gonna be a tough decision for me, I'm sure. OS 6 is gonna have to be that much better for me to leave my stuff behind...

Hope what Bob says is correct, that developers have the code ahead of time and the apps are ready to go when OS6 arrives!
    07-29-10 09:29 PM
    Yeah, one of the reasons I am not too excited about OS 6. I am not willing to go without my apps just to have a new OS. I want my apps too. ANd I don't wanna re-purchase them all either.

Gonna be a tough decision for me, I'm sure. OS 6 is gonna have to be that much better for me to leave my stuff behind...

Hope what Bob says is correct, that developers have the code ahead of time and the apps are ready to go when OS6 arrives!
    If they don't, they will get a copy as soon as the first carrier releases the OS, actually may start with leaked copies, and certainly by the time vzw releases it all of the developers will have their fixes in place.

I will be surprised if we have to purchase the updated apps. They are updates, not upgrades so they should be a maintenance release. I'll loose respect for any developers that charge for the updates unless they can clearly show that they have made an upgrade that warrants the charge and is should not be the same cost to those of us that have previously purchased as thouse who are new purchasers.

I certainly hope that theses developers don't take lessons from Bill Gates and company!
    Last edited by BoDeb; 07-29-10 at 09:53 PM.
    07-29-10 09:50 PM
    +1 for me too. I believe that developers shouldn't charge for upgrades. Really I don't see why we should pay for some apps that IMHO should come pre-installed. Just saying.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 10:36 PM
    If they don't, they will get a copy as soon as the first carrier releases the OS, actually may start with leaked copies, and certainly by the time vzw releases it all of the developers will have their fixes in place.

I will be surprised if we have to purchase the updated apps. They are updates, not upgrades so they should be a maintenance release. I'll loose respect for any developers that charge for the updates unless they can clearly show that they have made an upgrade that warrants the charge and is should not be the same cost to those of us that have previously purchased as thouse who are new purchasers.

I certainly hope that theses developers don't take lessons from Bill Gates and company!
    I agree 100 per cent!
    07-29-10 10:59 PM
    I'm also retired so I can ramble toooooooo!
    So does that make us "retired ramblers" or " ramblin' retirees"? LMFAO!
    07-30-10 12:07 AM
    I hope that OS 6, if it comes, will not throw too many apps for a loop. But while we may not consider changes to apps to run on OS 6 significant, it might actually take additional programming and not just a line of code or two. Programmers should be able to be paid for additional work.
    07-30-10 12:37 AM
    So does that make us "retired ramblers" or " ramblin' retirees"? LMFAO!
    +1 on LMAO

Probably both!
    07-30-10 07:45 AM
    Wow! You retired ramblers are having too much fun here!
    LMAO!!!!!
    Good for you!!!!
    Tourboy would be proud of what he started and of what we are continuing...well on our way to 7K i might add!

Happy Friday everyone!
    Anyone heard from Chitowngirl or Moonlessnight lately?

K-Roc was here...Yay!!!
    Star Traveler has been scarce...must be busy.
    Been missing a few people lately. Hope to see everyone back posting again soon. Maybe the prospect of OS 6 will get everyone weighing in on the subject...
    07-30-10 08:45 AM
    Happy Friday everyone!
    Happy Friday, JayDee! We doing the 810 upgrade this weekend?
    07-30-10 08:51 AM
    Just a comment from my observations.
    First, my post from a page or so back has really started some great speculations on the possible app conundrum with os6 and some diff possibilities that we will maybe be dealing with. Good discussion.
    Second, my thoughts on os6 are; I'm not very "wowed" by it yet. Two of it's biggest new features it seems to me are "widgets" and webkit browser upgrade. I'm not a widget guy at all and have been dealing with them off and on for quite some time with various custom ROMS on the winmo devices I've used in a previous life. As for the browser upgrade. My BB browser "as is" works fantastic since I upped it to .810. It's never been so fine. Yeah, ok it's not webkit, but for my needs it's "smokin' hot fine". My BOLD as it stands right now is just where I want it. Perhaps when the os6 is finally released(in how many months?) I'll be more inclined to jump on it, but if apps become an issue then I'm not seeing the big trade off advantage. I'm most likely in a minority and I know faster is better for most, but when it comes down to real "NEED" then I seem to have what I need NOW.
    My top needs:

1. email
    2. calendar
    3. gps/google maps
    4. web/tether ability
    5. Outstanding RF/Call quality

Thats really about it, And those needs are being currently met just fine. Now what would change the game for me and make the biggest diff of all is not os6, but when verizon gets their 4G/LTE network together.
    I'll be keeping the "baby" BOLD as my device of choice until "big red" implements that network change, then maybe jump on the closest 'bold like" device that can run on that network. It will most likely have os 6 anyway.
    After trying at least a couple of dozen devices over the years I've come back to my all time fav form factor and that is the form of the BOLD, "candybar qwerty". No touch screen, just a get it done, don't have to hold it a certain way, all around solid, well built,(imho) phone that does what I need right now.
    So how about the rest of you "bold runnin' ramblers"? Are you still chompin' at the bit for the os6? It's fine to be excited and ready to D/L it in a heartbeat, but just count me as one of the lesser "wowed" in the crowd.
    07-30-10 09:08 AM
    I might as well throw my opinion on os6 for the heck of it lol. Ive been loyal to blackberry for many years, and while I dont think os6 is spectacular, it is a big step in the right direction. Its not meant to wow people its been revamped to make things easier to navigate and appear more polished. Things like the revamped homescreen functionality, the clickable icon notifier dropdown menu, webkit browser, better integration of social networking, and the redisgned menus for ease of use is what has me excited. os6 is basically taking what we have and making it more user friendly which is why im so excited.

I think os6 also appeals to me because I am 23 and it has a little bit of flash added to it with the homescreen transitions and the browser which is kinda cool.

As far as apps go, i dont see it being a huge issue. When I updated from 4.5 to 5.0 very few, like one of my apps didnt work. Most apps functioned correctly after the upgrade, and the ones that didnt work only had small issues and developers for the most part were quick to fix those small issues. I would imagine rim would have this same mentality in mind when coding the new os and if there is drastic changes im sure developers will be able to get there hands on the proper stuff needed to update and make there apps compatible (most of the time its free of charge).

Like I said, I dont think its a huge improvement, but im still excited because it takes what we know already and just makes easier for us to use.
    07-30-10 09:27 AM
    Thanks for your comments rr. You touched on something I neglected to say even tho I was thinking it. Age: The younger crowd is definitly more into flash and bling. I see older folks in my age group kind of struggling with their iphones while they are trying to extract some info from it, while at the other end the younger crowd is quickly manuvering around the interface with ease. I'm certainly not lumping all geezers into this disfunctional group, but if the shoe fits..., but there are certainly some. I think alot of them just want to have the latest fad also and their kids/grandkids all have one which is probably who sets it up for them as well as being their #1 source of info for issues.
    It's great we have all the choices we do and while I don't need to be on the latest, greatest cutting edge device or os, I do want to be able to get the things done I need to do. Crapola! Even retired guys might need fast, accurate, directions to the nearest golf course when traveling or closest LUBY's for the early bird special.
    07-30-10 09:46 AM
    HAHAHA it looks like rim was listening to us in this thread. Here we are talking about how it would be nice for them to release tools before the release of os6 to help developers, and 2 hours later they have announced that they are going to do that to help developers out. This is good news as it looks like if os6 does break some apps they will be able to be fixed before or shortly after os6 is released.
    07-30-10 01:08 PM
    Thanks for your comments rr. You touched on something I neglected to say even tho I was thinking it. Age: The younger crowd is definitly more into flash and bling. I see older folks in my age group kind of struggling with their iphones while they are trying to extract some info from it, while at the other end the younger crowd is quickly manuvering around the interface with ease. I'm certainly not lumping all geezers into this disfunctional group, but if the shoe fits..., but there are certainly some. I think alot of them just want to have the latest fad also and their kids/grandkids all have one which is probably who sets it up for them as well as being their #1 source of info for issues.
    It's great we have all the choices we do and while I don't need to be on the latest, greatest cutting edge device or os, I do want to be able to get the things done I need to do. Crapola! Even retired guys might need fast, accurate, directions to the nearest golf course when traveling or closest LUBY's for the early bird special.
    I don't need directions to my two regular golf courses, although a road closure at the moment is making getting to one of them a bit of a challenge; however, if my CRS disease gets much worse GPS and Google maps may become a necessity. I already have GPS on my golf cart for distances on the course, needs could become greater as time passes.

I agree with the thoughts that Cbreze has laid out regarding the latest and greatest cutting edge technology. In my case, because I'm suffering from battery life problems anything that speeds up what I do on my baby Bold is what I am looking for. I could also use a better radio file that holds signal at a more constant level, although .810 is an improvement it is still not where I would like it to be. Thus, I'm interested in BB 6 in hopes that some of these issues are addrssed. Other than these two issues; I'm not looking for any cutting edge stuff, better signal and faster browser (webkit) and I'm a happy camper.

HAHAHA it looks like rim was listening to us in this thread. Here we are talking about how it would be nice for them to release tools before the release of os6 to help developers, and 2 hours later they have announced that they are going to do that to help developers out. This is good news as it looks like if os6 does break some apps they will be able to be fixed before or shortly after os6 is released.
    This is exactly what I was hoping for, it has been my experience over the last 30 to 40 years, most of it in high tech, that when a company is putting a new version of their OS together that will affect the apps that run on it they will release info to app developers as early as reasonably possible to allow them to update their apps for compatibility. That's the way it should work, I'm pleased that RIM has done this.
    07-30-10 02:32 PM
    Bob,
    I'm surprised your still experiencing battery life issues, with the .810 upgrade.
    My battery life has gotten much noticably better. I am running a 1700mAh tho also, and while it gave me about 20% better, the .810 upgrade better'd that by another 20 to 25% easy. I still charge daily b'cause I just always want a full tank at the beginning of my day, but I could easily go day and a half to two days. Your on your second and both had battery issues right? I'm sure you've ruled out any background apps. Wish I had a solution for you.
    I've been a CRS disease suffer for at least a few years, but the next level beyond CRS is way,way worse. The dreaded CRAFT disease. Which is: Can't Remember a F***in' Thing.
    07-30-10 03:12 PM
    Bob,
    I'm surprised your still experiencing battery life issues, with the .810 upgrade.
    My battery life has gotten much noticably better. I am running a 1700mAh tho also, and while it gave me about 20% better, the .810 upgrade better'd that by another 20 to 25% easy. I still charge daily b'cause I just always want a full tank at the beginning of my day, but I could easily go day and a half to two days. Your on your second and both had battery issues right? I'm sure you've ruled out any background apps. Wish I had a solution for you.
    I've been a CRS disease suffer for at least a few years, but the next level beyond CRS is way,way worse. The dreaded CRAFT disease. Which is: Can't Remember a F***in' Thing.
    LOL on the CRAFT...

I have seen small improvement in battery life but not the level that I would like to see. I have days that by late afternoon early evening I'm having to charge the battery or do a bat pull/swap to finish out the day. My days run from about 6:30am to 9 or 10pm or later before I'm sitting at my desk and plug the device in for the night. I suspect that part of my problem is signal related, I don't often get more than 3 bars which if I understand things right will cause the OS to search for a better signal. I do have some stuff running in the background but not too much. My GPS and BT stay on all the time, I use BT most of every day for an interface that connects to my Hearing Aid. i also have a program that runs in the background that keeps tract of where my baby Bold is, could be useful if I leave it somewhere or someone grabs it. I also have BeWeather which is set to update every 1.5 hrs, had it hourly originally.

I'm of the opinion that if the phone has these features then I should be able to use them and still get a days worth of use out of my battery. What's the point in having the features if you can't use them, makes no sense to me. I may end up having to get a 1700 battery at some point but I shouldn't have to do that. RIM should have put longer lasting batteries in these devices if they were not going to last a full day. I know, I know, they say that the battery should last for 2 or 3 days on standby and for 5+ hours of talk time. I'm convinced that they turned everything but the phone off to make that test.
    07-30-10 04:52 PM
    RIM should have put longer lasting batteries in these devices if they were not going to last a full day. I know, I know, they say that the battery should last for 2 or 3 days on standby and for 5+ hours of talk time. I'm convinced that they turned everything but the phone off to make that test.
    Morning Bob and all Essex threaders!
    Bob, I agree wholeheartedly on the longer lasting battery thing. I spent a day in a hospital facility yesterday (for the other half, not me and just for testing) and wanted to pass the time doing what I always do...Oh great Queen of BBM...texting. Well my battery started with a full charge and in less than 3 hours dropped to 58%. I was in Albany, NY the capital of the state of NY where cell towers abound like traffic jams, cabs and street vendors! WTF? Maybe the hospital environment tried to suppress my cell signal?

Could that be what they meant when the sign said PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE WHEN ENTERING THE FACILITY

Lmao, right. Like that's gonna happen.
    Anyway, I was freaked out that my battery was near 40 something by the time I got home and had to throw it on the charger to revive it. Should buy an extra one to have in my purse for times like these so looks like I will be buying a spare as well.

Have a good day everyone!
    07-31-10 06:47 AM
    LOL on the CRAFT...

I have seen small improvement in battery life but not the level that I would like to see. I have days that by late afternoon early evening I'm having to charge the battery or do a bat pull/swap to finish out the day. My days run from about 6:30am to 9 or 10pm or later before I'm sitting at my desk and plug the device in for the night. I suspect that part of my problem is signal related, I don't often get more than 3 bars which if I understand things right will cause the OS to search for a better signal. I do have some stuff running in the background but not too much. My GPS and BT stay on all the time, I use BT most of every day for an interface that connects to my Hearing Aid. i also have a program that runs in the background that keeps tract of where my baby Bold is, could be useful if I leave it somewhere or someone grabs it. I also have BeWeather which is set to update every 1.5 hrs, had it hourly originally.

I'm of the opinion that if the phone has these features then I should be able to use them and still get a days worth of use out of my battery. What's the point in having the features if you can't use them, makes no sense to me. I may end up having to get a 1700 battery at some point but I shouldn't have to do that. RIM should have put longer lasting batteries in these devices if they were not going to last a full day. I know, I know, they say that the battery should last for 2 or 3 days on standby and for 5+ hours of talk time. I'm convinced that they turned everything but the phone off to make that test.
    Bob, if your thinking bigger battery for your bold, then I would urge you to consider more than a 1700. The 2600 would better suit your needs, I just have a feeling. It's like 10 bucks more and the 1700 while it does retain the same shape of the device the more juice available would be worth it.
    I was concerned that the 1700 wasn't enough for my needs and was kind of lamenting getting it until I upgraded to .810 and all was fine.
    That tracker app you use thats always on, have you tried turning it off for a day or two as a test?(may have suggested this before,dang CRS) Besides that BT, and your hearing aid app I seem to be running the same with fantastic results. Yesterday it took me over 6 hours before I dropped off from 100%. Today I've been up and running for 8 hours and I'm down to 90%. I get numerous emails/texts and the rest is light browsing. The fact that it's the same with your 2nd bold (I believe you said), makes me really think it's an app. Your statement that RIM should make a battery/device that will run all this and go all day is easy to agree with, but maybe their in cahoots with the extended battery makers, who knows. I'd be curious whats doing it, but if you decide to go extended then go all the way, no half measures. My .02
    07-31-10 03:01 PM
    Bob, if your thinking bigger battery for your bold, then I would urge you to consider more than a 1700. The 2600 would better suit your needs, I just have a feeling. It's like 10 bucks more and the 1700 while it does retain the same shape of the device the more juice available would be worth it.
    I was concerned that the 1700 wasn't enough for my needs and was kind of lamenting getting it until I upgraded to .810 and all was fine.
    That tracker app you use thats always on, have you tried turning it off for a day or two as a test?(may have suggested this before,dang CRS) Besides that BT, and your hearing aid app I seem to be running the same with fantastic results. Yesterday it took me over 6 hours before I dropped off from 100%. Today I've been up and running for 8 hours and I'm down to 90%. I get numerous emails/texts and the rest is light browsing. The fact that it's the same with your 2nd bold (I believe you said), makes me really think it's an app. Your statement that RIM should make a battery/device that will run all this and go all day is easy to agree with, but maybe their in cahoots with the extended battery makers, who knows. I'd be curious whats doing it, but if you decide to go extended then go all the way, no half measures. My .02
    The issue with the 2600 is that it requires a different door and sticks out about 3mm. Not that it is a lot but still. We'll see what happens.

I'll turn off the tracker program for a couple of days and see what happens with it, I'll turn it back on before Wednesday as that is when we go on the road for a few days to see my youngest son and ganddaughter in Albuquerque.
    07-31-10 06:44 PM
    Hey guys...still lurking here a little...been busy lately so I haven't posted but been reading up on stuff every day or so... I downloaded .810 with hopes of installing it before the weekend but that didn't happen...now it'll be late Sunday night when I get home from the youth conference I'm at. Hoping to get some improved battery performance from my baby bold! Never done a BBerry os upgrade so will be looking for guidance.. Thanks guys & gals!
    08-01-10 01:12 AM
    I would hate to consider a bigger battery that made my sleek phone a monster. I am getting a second battery and now just need to buy an external charger so I can keep it charged and in my purse to hold me over on the days i burn through mine.

Did not do my upgrade yet and seriously doubt I will this weekend.

Just not feeling it.

And conducting battery experiments with PC and I have come to conclusion that BBM is a battery sucker and that 9650 is woefully underpowered with current battery...RIM needs to issue a battery with more power for a phone that does what our phone does.

Off to buy an external charger now...
    Have a good day all you Essex threaders!!!!
    08-01-10 11:24 AM
    Howdy all!! Been away from the CB for a week or so but I'm getting caught up. My battery is doing great so far though I'm not the user that Jaydee is!! I almost got sucked into the droid X but held fast! What is this OS upgrade? I havent syncd in 1 week, will it prompt me for the upgrade? Should I upgrade? Anyway I hope all is well with everyone.
    08-01-10 12:00 PM
23,186 ... 263264265266267 ...