Thanks for the retirement congrats everyone. I'm sitting at my desk for the last time today. Kinda weird feeling, but in a really GOOD way.
    I am glad so far that I took the plunge and upgraded. I thought jaydee would surely beat me to it.
    First impressions for those that have not done it yet are very positive. I think this is a good solid os. First thing I noticed is the browser is def snappier/quick. I had mine set to be as fast as possible with all the tweaks I could think of and was happy with it as it was, but it's even better.
    Next observation is battery life. I would normaly lose 20 to 25 % overnite and this morning I'm only down 5%. This bodes very well and I can't wait to see it by days end.
    I was as nervous as anyone could be since my baby was working as perfectly as she was, but it's definitly better by a very noticable degree, it's like everything just seems to work cleaner,crisper,snappier,and better from a simple screen transition to the browser. I've even re-enabled the gps to be on as a test for battery and because I was getting tired of always having to do it when needed, also have berryweather updates tied to gps.
    The speaker/earpiece sound sharper and I find I had to turn volume down a notch or two. All good stuff, nothing negative as yet.
    I'm very pleased.
    I vaguly remember that last day at work, over 10 yrs ago so the memory is dimming. You should be pleased with this OS, it really is a good solid release.

Now if JayDee and PC will quit plotting the takeover of the world and get with the program and update their baby Bolds they will see what we are talking about.
    07-28-10 10:38 AM
    I vaguly remember that last day at work, over 10 yrs ago so the memory is dimming. You should be pleased with this OS, it really is a good solid release.

Now if JayDee and PC will quit plotting the takeover of the world and get with the program and update their baby Bolds they will see what we are talking about.
    Unfortunately, my plan to take over the world includes my Baby Bold so I guess I am going to have to upgrade this weekend when I have time to sit and wring my hands over all the software I have to re-register and re-install, etc.

But if I upgrade and I lose even ONE BBM contact, there's gonna be **** to pay, I'm telling you!

Besides, I'm getting tired of these quiet sounds...I need more volume!
    07-28-10 11:06 AM
    Congrats cbreze on your retirement and the successful update of your Bold. Enjoy both!

PC and BoDeb: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am quite nervous about fooling around with this device, but as I read more about other's experiences, that might allay my fears. I haven't had terrible battery drain, or other problems that were not easily resolved by a battery pull or call to CS.

One thought: From what I read, OS6 looks like it will be a great improvement. Can you suggest reasons why I should not just wait for it and in the meantime, continue to gain experience with my BB? TIA
    07-28-10 11:15 AM
    Thanks to cbreze and Bob for their reviews of .810. If I have some time this afternoon I'm going to download the OS onto my computer. I'm still not sure if or when I'm going to put it on my Bold but I'll be ready.
    07-28-10 12:35 PM
    Congrats cbreze on your retirement and the successful update of your Bold. Enjoy both!

PC and BoDeb: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am quite nervous about fooling around with this device, but as I read more about other's experiences, that might allay my fears. I haven't had terrible battery drain, or other problems that were not easily resolved by a battery pull or call to CS.

One thought: From what I read, OS6 looks like it will be a great improvement. Can you suggest reasons why I should not just wait for it and in the meantime, continue to gain experience with my BB? TIA
    I am sticking with 732 until BB6 is released, that unless, jaydee talks me into going to 810 with her

There is nothing really pressing you to upgrade before BB6, especially if things are running smoothly for you. Enjoy what you have, and feel free to PM with questions.
    07-28-10 12:36 PM

Hey Brooke, there,s no reason not to wait and no reason to wait either. If your bold is running fine as is. Mine was running fine as is and I was concerned if I Was doing the right thing about half way into it. The improvements I've noticed so far made it worthwhile tho. Also there is no reason to think the os6 will even come this year. No one really knows for sure when. You should do what makes you comfortable. Also one never knows when verizon might possibly release this little update. I'd suggest reading more about the process and get comfy with the idea, then maybe see.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 12:39 PM
    Brooke, If you're uncomfortable upgrading your Bold, then don't do it. Read some of the reviews and some info on how to upgrade the OS. If you decide to upgrade, there's plenty of people here who can walk you thru it step by step. It took me a long time before I was comfortable upgrading my Curve about a year and half ago. Bottom line, if your happy with the way your Bold is running now, you might want to leave it alone.
    07-28-10 12:52 PM
    What's the trick to get the wifi to connect? I have it on and it won't connect unless I go into the saved settings and enable the correct one. For instance I walk into a starbucks it should auto connect and it doesn't. Any one of my saved locations should auto connect when in range right? I fell like I'm missing a setting somewhere.

07-28-10 01:36 PM
    What's the trick to get the wifi to connect? I have it on and it won't connect unless I go into the saved settings and enable the correct one. For instance I walk into a starbucks it should auto connect and it doesn't. Any one of my saved locations should auto connect when in range right? I fell like I'm missing a setting somewhere.

Interesting question, I've only my home network configured at this point, I don't do Starbucks very often or other places for that matter where I can use Wi-Fi. I'd be curious to hear the answer to this one.
    07-28-10 01:58 PM
    Interesting question, I've only my home network configured at this point, I don't do Starbucks very often or other places for that matter where I can use Wi-Fi. I'd be curious to hear the answer to this one.

Yeah, I dunno. I have several wifi access points in my saved file, but if I need to go into it and enable the correct one each time, then it defeats the whole purpose. Some smart BB'r will chime in with the answer.

07-28-10 02:08 PM
    Thanks guys for your comments. I think that I will stick with .732 for now and continue to observe. Good luck to all who have taken or will take the plunge!
    07-28-10 02:18 PM
    There's a public wifi I use and it is setup but it does require me to acknowledge its disclaimer each time I use it so while it "connects" it will not work until it either opens the browser to their disclaimer screen or I open it. I do get a "connect/other prompt box" also in the wifi screen.

So I don't think ALL wifi is automatic even if you have the saved profile.
    07-28-10 02:51 PM

I haven't been to Starbucks, but I have been in other buildings that have WiFi, and the networks connected to my phone automatically. I didn't do anything to set it up and it is now in my saved WiFi profiles.
    07-28-10 03:54 PM
    Just a humble opinion but with today's news about the Bold and OS 6 I wouldn't buy anymore apps or customize much. It looks like this upgrade may come faster then we thought.
    07-28-10 05:15 PM
    Just a humble opinion but with today's news about the Bold and OS 6 I wouldn't buy anymore apps or customize much. It looks like this upgrade may come faster then we thought.
    I don't know about the OS, but DM 6 is in Beta. I would expect that the OS can't be too far behind.
    07-28-10 05:47 PM
    I haven't been to Starbucks, but I have been in other buildings that have WiFi, and the networks connected to my phone automatically. I didn't do anything to set it up and it is now in my saved WiFi profiles.
    Hmmm...thats how I thought it was supposed to be, kind of automatic then you save and boom,done.
    Starbucks is just one. I have several and was thinking about leaving my bold with the wifi available(toggled on)all the time as I had heard others doing this and working well for them.
    I seem to need to go into the wifi settings each time to check off the selection I need, then it connects, but won't if I don't.
    07-28-10 08:49 PM
    Just chiming in here. Finally did the upgrade to .810.Thanks to the wonderful people hear. Hadn't really noticed a significant difference, but from what I'm hearing 6.0 will be the mother load! I can't wait.
    07-28-10 09:07 PM
    +1 FWIW. When I read the news I had similar thoughts.

07-28-10 09:27 PM

If the network is set up the same as it is at my local Starbucks, you have to open up the browser and agree to the T&C and click connect while on 3g before the server will allow you to obtain an IP and connect to their network.
    07-29-10 03:54 AM
    +1 FWIW. When I read the news I had similar thoughts.

Oh so I can hold off and enjoy my weekend instead of upgrading?
    I dunno guys...I still think OS 6 is a long way off for us...like months!
    I think if you wanna upgrade, do it!
    If you don't, don't.
    No excuses needed.
    Didn't they say early 2011 for OS6. That could be 6 months yet...Half a lifetime for a phone!
    Why that's about 4 months longer than PC KEEPS some of HIS phones...LOL
    J/K PC...you know I LOVE you!!!!!
    07-29-10 07:28 AM
    If the network is set up the same as it is at my local Starbucks, you have to open up the browser and agree to the T&C and click connect while on 3g before the server will allow you to obtain an IP and connect to their network.
    Yeah, thats the way starbucks is, but I have several other wifi access profiles set that won't connect unless I enable them individually.
    I was not thinking much of it untill I kept hearing how folks were leaving their wifi on, on their bolds so it would slip in and out when in range. It seems it was pretty seamless for them. Thats what got me checking and I noticed mine was not seamless at all, so of course I wonder what I'm missing in some setting. It's not a big deal, just asking/wondering.
    07-29-10 08:08 AM
    Oh so I can hold off and enjoy my weekend instead of upgrading?
    I dunno guys...I still think OS 6 is a long way off for us...like months!
    I think if you wanna upgrade, do it!
    If you don't, don't.
    No excuses needed.
    Didn't they say early 2011 for OS6. That could be 6 months yet...Half a lifetime for a phone!
    I'm with jaydee in thinking the os6 release will be awhile in coming. It's just been my experience over the past many years when a cell phone operating system is "coming soon" so to speak it's always later than they think. Then when it does arrive finally ....it's "buggy" lol.
    Regarding the .810 upgrade. All my worries about doing it turned out to be unfounded. Three big differences for me with it now on my bold are :

1. the battery life has gotten better by a good 30%. I''ve re-enabled my gps to be always on so I can quit having to toggle it all the time.

2. The browser is quicker, although I still have java script disabled and have
    made no other changes to the browser settings.

3. The screen transitions are way more smooth, before they were a tad jerky. Along with this smoothness is the sounds thru-out the bolds system sound crisper and just plain better overall.

So far the only thing I've had to do was re-input my berryweather code. There could be other codes for various apps , that I have not noticed yet, but not a big deal at all. Really a positive upgrade. The upgrade for me from my original .699 to .732 was absolutely "meh", with no big differences. This one is noticibly better. IMHO. Perhaps YMMV as a few posters are saying they do not notice to much difference. Can't respond to that, just a very happy camper I did it. Also, one more thing worht mentioning. Google maps , my fav gps guide is even faster than previously.
    Side note: I'm a BB noob and pretty green re: upgrades. I had read all kinds of info to prep myself for this. I had bbsak at the ready, I had pre-downloaded the os. I thought I was ready for the DM back up of data. etc.
    So I do all the deed and I'm beyond the point of no return, it's looking good, then boom, done. I go back into DM to hit reload data and I'm not sure what I did previously but all my apps came back as well. I thought bbsak would handle that. I was kind of relieved but a tad concerned also. Anyway, I went thru apps and found everything in it's place except for the Bweather code I was all good. Just my experience. I'm retired now so I can ramble.....LOL!!
    07-29-10 08:31 AM
    Rofl...Hi my name's Paul, and I'm a blackberry addict!

I haven't gone more than 6 months with a device before upgrading the the next "latest and greatest". I think the shortest amount of time I used a BB was the 5 or 6 weeks I used my Storm2. However, the Bold is definitely a keeper, and will be around for a long time. I might even have it long enough to get a scratch or two on it.

JD, you crack me up!
    07-29-10 08:42 AM
    So I'm taking from your statement that our v5.00 os apps won't work on os6? I'm concerned about some of the pricier, more neccessary ones like "tether". I'm sure it will be a matter of time before the devs configure things to work, but maybe not right out of the gate then. Something like not having tether would prevent me from upgrading. Also diff os would maybe mean upgrade charges for the apps., just speculating.
    07-29-10 01:51 PM
    Rofl...Hi my name's Paul, and I'm a blackberry addict!
    There's an app for that! (It's called a 12-step program)
    07-29-10 04:25 PM
23,186 ... 262263264265266 ...