Not touching.810 with ten foot pole...until Big red release it it's VOODOO !
    07-26-10 08:38 PM
    OK, OK, if PC can guarantee me that he will be around if I mess up...I'll do it tomorrow!

Now where's that step-by-step that's supposed to make everything so easy?
    My Bold is running great with .732, jaydee I'm keeping my eye on you to see how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 10:27 PM
    OK, OK, if PC can guarantee me that he will be around if I mess up...I'll do it tomorrow!

Now where's that step-by-step that's supposed to make everything so easy?
    Good morning Essex ramblers !

JD, I will certainly walk you thru it. Maybe I'll do it along with you over the phone.

To those saying 810 is worth it, I just want to remind you that upgrades aren't always smooth sailing.

Anyone here a Storm2 owner? Storm2 shipped with 5.0.0320 which was barely tested and had a ton of issues. It was replaced with 5.0.0.607 which had horrible battery life and weak radio issues, just to name a few.

How about Curve owners??? Anyone remember 4.5.0.77 with the speakerblast issue? That was replaced with 4.5.0.138 which had the trackball issue (clicking the trackball didn't wake the device up).

Thank for the reminder, JD, I did contact CB Kevin and Adam about putting together a step-by-step upgrade manual to take all the fear out of it. Gotta get off my duff!

Wizard, I wouldn't get hung up on which carrier releases the OS, AllTel's 810 is an official. In my experience, VZW picks some of the worst OS's to release. Bold's 732 is a notable exception. The best OS for Storm2 was never released by a carrier.
    Last edited by plkcable; 07-27-10 at 07:19 AM.
    07-27-10 07:09 AM
    How about Curve owners??? Anyone remember 4.5.0.77 with the speakerblast issue? That was replaced with 4.5.0.138 which had the trackball issue (clicking the trackball didn't wake the device up).
    That right there is why I always sweat an upgrade!
    Every single problem that VZW had with the Curve 8330 OS, I HAD!
    I was just telling PC about this the other day...I had the speakerphone blast, the chirp, the missing profiles, the squelch, the signal fluctuations, the clang, EVERY SINGLE problem. In fact, had I not used HYBRIDS the entire time I owned my 8330, I would have never been able to make a quiet phone call.

That's what scares me about changing the OS because I am so blown away with this Baby Bold. Out of the boz, I turned it on, made a call and BINGO...it works and well! It works. it just works. No extra sounds! It's perfect! See why I'm scared? Two and a half years of nonsense and I'm scared to screw around with a good thing...

PC better be at the other end of my landline while I'm doing this cause if there's a problem...he's gonna hear me scream!!!!
    07-27-10 07:42 AM
    That right there is why I always sweat an upgrade!
    Every single problem that VZW had with the Curve 8330 OS, I HAD!
    I was just telling PC about this the other day...I had the speakerphone blast, the chirp, the missing profiles, the squelch, the signal fluctuations, the clang, EVERY SINGLE problem. In fact, had I not used HYBRIDS the entire time I owned my 8330, I would have never been able to make a quiet phone call.

That's what scares me about changing the OS because I am so blown away with this Baby Bold. Out of the boz, I turned it on, made a call and BINGO...it works and well! It works. it just works. No extra sounds! It's perfect! See why I'm scared? Two and a half years of nonsense and I'm scared to screw around with a good thing...

PC better be at the other end of my landline while I'm doing this cause if there's a problem...he's gonna hear me scream!!!!
    See JD remembers, and will agree that just because VZW signed off on it, doesn't make it "flawless".

That said, 732 works well on my Bold. However, the caller ID flashes the last number that called in for about a second or two before showing the current incoming call, the new mail notification doesn't clear from the Gmail folder when I read emails in the Messages folder, and I found one other minor issue, but it's so minor it escapes me.

At this point, other than the crappy boot time, there's nothing pressing me to jump on 810 yet. Though I do have downloaded to my PC when it gets to that point.
    Last edited by plkcable; 07-27-10 at 08:22 AM.
    07-27-10 08:10 AM
    That's exactly the way I feel. .732 is working very well for me. The only real minor issue that I've noticed is what PC mentioned the caller ID flashes the previous number for a second. That's it, everything else is great. My Bold has made me forget some of the horrible issues I had with VZW OS releases with my Curve, the chirp and speakerblast. Even with my Tour I was always looking for the best leaked OS until I found .643, but 732 just works, it does what it's supposed to do. I'm holding off on 810 for now but we'll see, I might give it a shot too.

07-27-10 08:33 AM
    I'm tempted to give it a shot just for the experience. Where is the best place to get a copy? Does it matter? I would definitly need a step by step tutorial to use for a guide. I can't believe how many times I flashed and unlocked winmo phones. I'd like to get that confidant with my BB. I plan on being a BB user for a long time as nothing else out there trips my trigger anymore or is so simply stable.
    I'm very content with the .732 v. so that just makes it a harder decision. I know I'll cave tho.
    Last edited by cbreze; 07-27-10 at 09:17 AM.
    07-27-10 09:15 AM
    I'm tempted to give it a shot just for the experience. Where is the best place to get a copy? Does it matter? I would definitly need a step by step tutorial to use for a guide. I can't believe how many times I flashed and unlocked winmo phones. I'd like to get that confidant with my BB. I plan on being a BB user for a long time as nothing else out there trips my trigger anymore or is so simply stable. I'm very content with the .732 v. so that just makes it a harder decision. I know I'll cave tho.
    you can download 810 here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...03923A1C591DB4

just choose Bold 9650 from the drop down box and click next. Provide name and address (I never give my home info) and click download.

feel free to pm if you need help along the way, maybe you jd and I can conference call and kill 3 BB's with one OS ... lol
    Last edited by plkcable; 07-27-10 at 09:26 AM.
    07-27-10 09:21 AM
    you can download 810 here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...03923A1C591DB4

just choose Bold 9650 from the drop down box and click next. Provide name and address (I never give my home info) and click download.
    Thanks PC, I'll probably download later this eve then maybe do the deed this weekend when I have time. Another question tho, where do we pick up a copy of the .732 just in case for an ace in the hole. Same place?
    07-27-10 09:27 AM
    Thanks PC, I'll probably download later this eve then maybe do the deed this weekend when I have time. Another question tho, where do we pick up a copy of the .732 just in case for an ace in the hole. Same place?
    Should be able to get it here:

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    07-27-10 09:37 AM
    I'm with wizard. Being a newb and all, I just don't have the courage to experiment. The .732 seems to work well enough for my needs right now. I will be watching the boards to see how others fare. Good luck!
    07-27-10 04:35 PM
    Wizard, I wouldn't get hung up on which carrier releases the OS, AllTel's 810 is an official. In my experience, VZW picks some of the worst OS's to release. Bold's 732 is a notable exception. The best OS for Storm2 was never released by a carrier.
    While that may have been true in the past I still think if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    07-27-10 05:22 PM
    Ooooooo boy you guys Better get your practice in I'm getting excited. Willyboy6 and driphter.com just tweeted that 6.0.31 is coming to a 9650 near you soon. Sounds like this has the potential to be the first 6.0 leak! Prolly will be buggy as crap, but hey it will give us a nice look at the new os. Let's hope it comes out!

07-27-10 05:40 PM
    Good morning Essex ramblers !

Thank for the reminder, JD, I did contact CB Kevin and Adam about putting together a step-by-step upgrade manual to take all the fear out of it. Gotta get off my duff!
    I suspect that as late as it is in the day that you guys may have already done you upgrades. In case you have not, here is the list of steps that I used to upgrade my baby Bold. I got the reference from somewhere, its in the forms someplace, but don't remember where it was. I mad a word doc out of it just so I would have it:

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Download the leaked OS
    2. Back up data on Desktop Manager under Back up/restore option. NOTE: If you get an error during this process, clear your browser cache (Browser > Menu Key > options > cache operation > clear all of them)
    3. Back up your 3rd party apps. How to backup 3rd party applications
    4. Disconnect your BB from Desktop Manager
    5. Download desired OS to your PC
    6. Install/run OS to PC
    7. If you are NOT on Verizon, delete vendor.xml file. It�s located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    8. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should
    9. Click Application Loader
    10. Click Update
    11. At this point, disconnect your computer from the internet
    12. Select the OS you would like to load and continue
    13. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 20-90 minutes to complete upgrade.

Note: Make sure to back up your phone and third party apps prior to updating in case something goes wrong in the update process
    I did a quick search and here it the original post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    07-27-10 06:38 PM
    I'm with wizard. Being a newb and all, I just don't have the courage to experiment. The .732 seems to work well enough for my needs right now. I will be watching the boards to see how others fare. Good luck!
    Brook,
    I too am a bit of a noob, been around less than a year; however, I have been having a few problems with my device which prompted me to jump to .810. None of my problems are severe, just annoying; like fluctuating signal and excessive battery drain. I've been carrying a spare battery in a little case in my pocket when I'm away from home in case I my battery is down too low, then I do a bat pull and put a fully charged battery in and I'm good to go. Not the way I want to have to use my device.

As you get more experience and if you have issues, you'll probably start jumping to new OS's especially if they are getting good reviews. That was important for me before I took the plunge. I have been very pleased with this OS.
    07-27-10 06:43 PM
    Ooooooo boy you guys Better get your practice in I'm getting excited. Willyboy6 and driphter.com just tweeted that 6.0.31 is coming to a 9650 near you soon. Sounds like this has the potential to be the first 6.0 leak! Prolly will be buggy as crap, but hey it will give us a nice look at the new os. Let's hope it comes out!

The OS on the phone that Sal had was at 6.0.0.100, I'd be surprised if they leaked one that low. I know his devce was not a 9650 but still I would expect the numbers to be closer.
    07-27-10 06:45 PM
    The OS on the phone that Sal had was at 6.0.0.100, I'd be surprised if they leaked one that low. I know his devce was not a 9650 but still I would expect the numbers to be closer.
    yea it may not be leaked but it would be nice to see what os 6 has even if it is buggy. And that may seem like a low build seeing as 6.0.101 for the 9650 is in the portal for carriers to test, but don't forget I'm pretty sure they didn't just start with 6.0, they started with 5.2 in early testing so it may seem like a low build it could be fairly advanced, I hope lol. I'm really excited for 6.0 so I'm hoping we get to see it sooner than later.

07-27-10 06:55 PM
    yea it may not be leaked but it would be nice to see what os 6 has even if it is buggy. And that may seem like a low build seeing as 6.0.101 for the 9650 is in the portal for carriers to test, but don't forget I'm pretty sure they didn't just start with 6.0, they started with 5.2 in early testing so it may seem like a low build it could be fairly advanced, I hope lol. I'm really excited for 6.0 so I'm hoping we get to see it sooner than later.

I'm excited about it as well, I just hope that RIM has addressed all of the code issues that have been giving people trouble of late. There seem to be a fair number of them. It would seem very short-sighted to overlook the issues that your customers are grousing about.
    07-27-10 10:47 PM
    Well, I just did the deed and upgraded. Not alot unlike installing a winmo ROM. Took alot longer is all. Maybe about 90 min total from start to finish. I was so excited to see that it worked that when I was finished I started installing my old settings manually, and was into that for 3 or 4 min before I realize..DOH!! I just need to reconnect DM and anyway it's all good now. Gotta get some sleep tho. Tomorrows my big retirement party and last day at work! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE---YAHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    07-27-10 10:57 PM
    cbreze ,
    Have a great day tomorrow and HAPPY RETIREMENT!!!!
    07-27-10 11:14 PM
    cbreze ,
    Have a great day tomorrow and HAPPY RETIREMENT!!!!
    Thanks prince.

07-27-10 11:29 PM
    Well, I just did the deed and upgraded. Not alot unlike installing a winmo ROM. Took alot longer is all. Maybe about 90 min total from start to finish. I was so excited to see that it worked that when I was finished I started installing my old settings manually, and was into that for 3 or 4 min before I realize..DOH!! I just need to reconnect DM and anyway it's all good now. Gotta get some sleep tho. Tomorrows my big retirement party and last day at work! YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE---YAHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Congratulations, have a terrific day!
    07-28-10 07:39 AM
    Wow!!!!!
    Happy Retiremment cbreze!!!!
    Have a great day!
    And congrats on updating your phone... and NO
    PC and I are of one mind on this and we have not, either or us, upgraded yet.

We are too busy making plans to take over the world...LOL

Have a good day Essex threaders!
    07-28-10 07:44 AM
    While that may have been true in the past I still think if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    I agree with you on this point. What I don't agree with is that just because it's not a VZW release, doesn't mean anything. You know that all the OS's are written by RIM, right?

Brooke, I was there too, back when I got my Pearl 8130 a year and a half ago. In time, especially when BB6 rolls around, you'll want to take the upgrade plunge. When you do, feel free to PM!
    Last edited by plkcable; 07-28-10 at 07:49 AM.
    07-28-10 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the retirement congrats everyone. I'm sitting at my desk for the last time today. Kinda weird feeling, but in a really GOOD way.
    I am glad so far that I took the plunge and upgraded. I thought jaydee would surely beat me to it.
    First impressions for those that have not done it yet are very positive. I think this is a good solid os. First thing I noticed is the browser is def snappier/quick. I had mine set to be as fast as possible with all the tweaks I could think of and was happy with it as it was, but it's even better.
    Next observation is battery life. I would normaly lose 20 to 25 % overnite and this morning I'm only down 5%. This bodes very well and I can't wait to see it by days end.
    I was as nervous as anyone could be since my baby was working as perfectly as she was, but it's definitly better by a very noticable degree, it's like everything just seems to work cleaner,crisper,snappier,and better from a simple screen transition to the browser. I've even re-enabled the gps to be on as a test for battery and because I was getting tired of always having to do it when needed, also have berryweather updates tied to gps.
    The speaker/earpiece sound sharper and I find I had to turn volume down a notch or two. All good stuff, nothing negative as yet.
    I'm very pleased.
    Last edited by cbreze; 07-28-10 at 09:20 AM.
    07-28-10 09:11 AM
23,186 ... 261262263264265 ...