Bob, I have the same settings and they seem to help my old eyes see the web pages as well. I especially like the default to column view as it opens the page up larger to begin with and them I can select "zoom in" as many times as I need to to see something.

I sure hope SoCal doesn't let this ruin his 9650 experience altogether!
    Would be a shame!!!
    I'm with you on the old (tired) eyes, some days I feel like I need a microscope to read anything! nevermind the small print on my bB. I have all of my font settings that I can find pushed up in size so most of the time I can read stuff but then....
    07-16-10 08:58 AM
    JayDee,

I finally broke down and ordered QL and MeterBerry (it took me a while but I got YOUR message). I used a gift card I had laying around here that didin't have enough left on it to do much more than get a couple of BB apps, I'm now waiting for them to approve the sale (had to send them some proof of ID and ownership of the card) so I can download and install these babys. I'll let you know what I think of them once that happens and I get a chance to play with them a bit.
    07-16-10 09:02 AM
    +1 for browser in column view. Makes my font fine and seems quicker also. +1 also for disabling java script and enabling via "J" key press as needed.
    Big +1 for QL. Easily the most useful app on my bold. Don't know if I really need meter berry or not. Not concerned with battery temp, seems a non-issue and strength is very well measured in percent on my bold's batmeter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 09:47 AM
    Someone mentioned an app called BatteryEx that does the same thing as Meterberry.
    Does anyone have it installed on your phone and do you know where I would find it? I want to learn more about it.
    07-16-10 02:13 PM
    Someone mentioned an app called BatteryEx that does the same thing as Meterberry.
    Does anyone have it installed on your phone and do you know where I would find it? I want to learn more about it.
    Here you go:

BatteryEx | The Ultimate Battery Info Viewer & Optimizer - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    07-16-10 02:16 PM
    Jaydee,
    I have both meterberry and batterex installed which is def overkill. I love meterberry and its ability to show me free mem battery level and what not, but on some themes i dont have any room to display meterberry in an icon slot because i have other more important icons i need. I basically just downloaded batteryex because it gives you an option to put an icon in the notification icon spot which displays the battery %. Like i said it does the same thing as meterberry but i like that i can look at the little notification icon quickly as opposed to opening up meterberry and looking at the batt level that way.

Also i just downloaded the free version of batteryex which includes the ability to add the icon to your notifications. you can also customize the icon according to how you like it in the free version.
    07-16-10 02:23 PM
    Jaydee,
    I have both meterberry and batterex installed which is def overkill. I love meterberry and its ability to show me free mem battery level and what not, but on some themes i dont have any room to display meterberry in an icon slot because i have other more important icons i need. I basically just downloaded batteryex because it gives you an option to put an icon in the notification icon spot which displays the battery %. Like i said it does the same thing as meterberry but i like that i can look at the little notification icon quickly as opposed to opening up meterberry and looking at the batt level that way.

Also i just downloaded the free version of batteryex which includes the ability to add the icon to your notifications. you can also customize the icon according to how you like it in the free version.
    Great responses! Thanks for the link PC...King of the links!
    And RR, I will try the free version of BatteryEx just for the halibut, too, I think. I want to see if the notification of the battery meter level is what I am after. It is the reason I bought Meterberry in the first place. My OS wasn't giving me an accurate reading...
    07-16-10 02:27 PM
    +1 for browser in column view. Makes my font fine and seems quicker also. +1 also for disabling java script and enabling via "J" key press as needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hi everybody

+1 for browser in column view and disabling java script. I am very near sighted and can usually read the smallest font without corrective lenses. When I saw how microscopic the font was on the Bold on some sites without magnification, I thought that I was going blind. Fortunately for me, these boards provided tips on making my viewing experience a lot more enjoyable. At first, I was doing column view every time that I needed magnification. Then I learned that I could set it as a default. What a difference!

Once I learned to disable javascript, it made all the difference when using the browser. It was quite remarkable. I hope that this is not a dumb question, but what exactly is java script, why is it set as a factory default, and are there any unintended consequences to disabling it? I like the browser speed with it disabled, but at what cost? TIA
    07-16-10 02:57 PM
    Hi everybody

+1 for browser in column view and disabling java script. I am very near sighted and can usually read the smallest font without corrective lenses. When I saw how microscopic the font was on the Bold on some sites without magnification, I thought that I was going blind. Fortunately for me, these boards provided tips on making my viewing experience a lot more enjoyable. At first, I was doing column view every time that I needed magnification. Then I learned that I could set it as a default. What a difference!

Once I learned to disable javascript, it made all the difference when using the browser. It was quite remarkable. I hope that this is not a dumb question, but what exactly is java script, why is it set as a factory default, and are there any unintended consequences to disabling it? I like the browser speed with it disabled, but at what cost? TIA
    +1 for nearsighted and reading your berry sans correction. I'm a little over -9 and I'm sure people must wonder about me as I remove my glasses and read stuff on my berry. But hey it works.

I've done the same with my browser, increased font, disabled Java and set column view. Works great.
    07-16-10 06:41 PM
    OK, I have a question for all of you Addicts, Master & Geniuses.

Everytime I sync my bB with my desktop at the end of the process it shows a box with the green progress bar. The box says that it is initializing the random number generator.

I could understand doing this once, but every time I sync???

Any ideas?
    07-16-10 10:28 PM

Everytime I sync my bB with my desktop at the end of the process it shows a box with the green progress bar. The box says that it is initializing the random number generator.

Any ideas?
    Bob,
    I want to help here. You sync or backup?
    With DM? Now I'm confused. I never see a random number generator.
    Now I can tell you that networking devices use checksums as a way to ensure that data is correct as delivered from one end to another so that makes sense, in a way. But when you "sync"?

Could you explain a little more for me?
    I must be reading too much into this...
    07-17-10 08:58 AM
    I recall getting that random number thingie ages ago and totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. I don't recall what it was about and I have no seen it in ages.
    07-17-10 09:34 AM

Any ideas?
    Turn off automatic initialization of the random number generator
    By default, each time that you connect your BlackBerry� device to your computer and open the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager, the certificate synchronization tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager initializes the random number generator on your device. If you turn off automatic initialization, your device uses the same starting point each time it generates a random number.

1. Connect your BlackBerry device to your computer.
    2. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Synchronize Certificates.
    4. Click Options.
    5. On the Desktop Preferences tab, clear the Automatically initialize device random number generator when my device is connected to my computer check box.
    07-17-10 01:20 PM
    Is there a way to set any key to open an app? I thought there was this feature with QL, now I'm not so sure. I D/L'd pocket informant for it's freebie factor yesterday and it would be cool to set it to open on a one key press. The oem calendar opens with "L" on this theme.(great feature) I prefer to hide the dock so thats not gonna work. Q/L is a 2 key press + scrolling. Maybe I'm way to picky.LOL.
    Side note: If there was a way to make pocket informant the default that'd be sweet and better still.
    07-17-10 02:08 PM
    Turn off automatic initialization of the random number generator
    By default, each time that you connect your BlackBerry� device to your computer and open the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager, the certificate synchronization tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager initializes the random number generator on your device. If you turn off automatic initialization, your device uses the same starting point each time it generates a random number.

1. Connect your BlackBerry device to your computer.
    2. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Synchronize Certificates.
    4. Click Options.
    5. On the Desktop Preferences tab, clear the Automatically initialize device random number generator when my device is connected to my computer check box.
    Muchas Gracias!
    07-17-10 08:28 PM
    Bob,
    I want to help here. You sync or backup?
    With DM? Now I'm confused. I never see a random number generator.
    Now I can tell you that networking devices use checksums as a way to ensure that data is correct as delivered from one end to another so that makes sense, in a way. But when you "sync"?

Could you explain a little more for me?
    I must be reading too much into this...
    Oh great Master, soon to be a GENIUS!

Thanks for your response, Wizard nailed it. I had never paid much attention to the Sync Cert Icon, its amazing how much can slip by when you are not paying attention. I usually plug the phone in and start DM just before bedie bye which is usually in the wee hours so not very awake.
    07-17-10 08:39 PM
    Oh great Master, soon to be a GENIUS!
    Bob, not much gets by you, does it?
    I will return here for a milestone post tomorrow. It's my favorite place to be for such a momentous occasion!

Wizard, I had never heard of Bob's dilemma before. Thanks for getting that info so quickly!

Also, guys...I loaded the new Beta BBM on my phone today and can I just say that you will all be very pleased with the changes in the font sizes for our eyes, (Bob) and the icon sizes, and the way pics are rendered and so on. I can't say much but you will all like it a lot if you haven't already tried it for yourself! I am so pleased. As someone told me: it's not a beta, it's betta.
    07-17-10 09:17 PM
    Well Essex threaders, It looks like a double post but actually at least 12 hours has passed since my last post!

And now the time has come for a milestone post of mine...1500th for me.
    I guess on Crackberry.com it means I move to another rank.
    Wow!
    I love you guys; all my friends on the Essex thread!!!!

And so I'm here to ask for help for someone on the 9650 boards... in a thread called 9650 email attachment and sync problems. A guy can't open attachments of jpgs and word etc. I think the prob may be attachment services. Bob, Wizard, Star Traveler, PC, princebb, cbreze, k-roc, F2, mrweller, anybody got an idea?

If you do, could you go over there and lend a hand?
    He's at the end of his rope and threatening the "iphoney" thing
    07-18-10 01:00 PM
    Congrats Jaydee on your 1500th post. Hope to see many more!
    07-18-10 01:08 PM
    Well Essex threaders, It looks like a double post but actually at least 12 hours has passed since my last post!

And now the time has come for a milestone post of mine...1500th for me.
    I guess on Crackberry.com it means I move to another rank.
    Wow!
    I love you guys; all my friends on the Essex thread!!!!

And so I'm here to ask for help for someone on the 9650 boards... in a thread called 9650 email attachment and sync problems. A guy can't open attachments of jpgs and word etc. I think the prob may be attachment services. Bob, Wizard, Star Traveler, PC, princebb, cbreze, k-roc, F2, mrweller, anybody got an idea?

If you do, could you go over there and lend a hand?
    He's at the end of his rope and threatening the "iphoney" thing
    Sooo, Congrats Madam Genius!

I may take a look at the BBM thing, but I'm not really an instant messenger type of person. Not really into the social beat apps as such. I enjoy this forum because I learn a lot from you guys, and I really like all of you guys here, but that's really about it for me. My wife does FaceBook, but she has not come even close to enticing me to do it. Not happnen!
    07-18-10 02:12 PM
    Okay Madam genius...I delete email and I select "on handheld only" yet the emails are gone from my email when I login on my laptop or home computer! My wife is about to strangle me because one of the mailboxes I use is a family one that we both access.
    07-18-10 02:26 PM
    Hey that was my 50th!
    07-18-10 02:27 PM
    Okay Madam genius...I delete email and I select "on handheld only" yet the emails are gone from my email when I login on my laptop or home computer! My wife is about to strangle me because one of the mailboxes I use is a family one that we both access.
    That is odd, I've only heard of that happening once before. One of my sons had a Curve that did that to him every time he deleted an email, and because many of those were work related (job assignments) it was driving him crazy. He is on the same email system as I am, I have my own URL, and he has one of my email boxes. I have never had that problem. He jumped to a droid earlier this year and last I heard he still likes it; however, he is not in the same job now so I have not heard any complaints about loosing emails.

That said, go to your email icon on your handheld, press the BB key and select options (don't press the BB key from inside of an email, just in the box). Next select "Email Reconciliation", be sure that your "Delete On:" secection is set to "Prompt" or "Handheld". This may solve your problemm, especially if you are set to "Mailbox and Handheld".
    07-18-10 02:40 PM
    Who is the email provider? yahoo has known issues as does Comcast.
    07-18-10 02:49 PM
    Whoa Bob, glad you're fielding this one for me. Whew!
    First official question and I will lose my genius crown in disgrace. I would have told him to check BIS as well but as I recall you had a similar problem as PC mentioned the answer was found on your device as you suggested. SO...wow!
    Thanks!
    Let's hope SoCal gets his email box straightened out before his wife takes the broom to his bottom!
    07-18-10 02:55 PM
23,186 ... 254255256257258 ...