Hate Bing!
    Me too. So I set my homepage to Google and Voila!....my browser starts at the Google page...
    06-06-10 02:12 AM
    I second that ! BerryBuzz is really cool!
    +1...Berry Buzz works great for me too.
    06-06-10 02:14 AM
    Google is far better than Bing.
    06-06-10 09:10 AM
    I took your advice and just set google as my home page! Any other tricks out there that should be passed on to new BBerry Owners?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 02:50 PM
    Hey all, I am another person who has been lurking here for quite some time anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 9650. I received mine on Friday with many others and began to play with it accordingly. I have ran into a rather disappointing problem I am curious if anyone else has seen thus far. I set up the WiFi to connect to my home network and it worked great. I then disabled the WiFi to conserve my battery. The next day I went to re-enable the WiFi and I keep getting "Unable To start WiFi" error. I pulled the battery and restarted my new BB and the WiFi was then able to start and connect no problem. But once I disable it, it is then not able to be turned on again without a battery pull! I find this particularly upsetting.

I did some research online and notice this seems to be a common problem amongst several models of the Bold on various carriers. Some folks recommended to remove any apps installed. All that I have installed thus far was WeatherBug which I deleted and did not solve my problem. I did some further reading and several people seem to recommend to do a full restore to factory default and to NOT do a backup restore from a previous BB as this may cause the problem. I don't want to do this if it won't really solve my problem, but I did use the BB desktop manager to copy my data from my old Curve to my new 9650 so I wonder?

I am curious if anyone else has tried and/or seen this problem as of yet? Has anyone gotten a new 9650 that did not replace an older BB which does not have this problem? Or has anyone else done a data copy from an older BB to their new 9650?

Thanks for the feedback. I will return this phone if I am not able to find a solution in the next few days as I find this to be completely unacceptable as I travel around a lot and expect to be able to enable/disable the WiFi as needed! :-(
    I didn't have any problem connecting to wifi the my Bold. I never had a problem with my Storm either. i just did a device swap when i got the Bold and i was up and running.
    06-06-10 02:56 PM
    First.. What colors and settings do you have for berrybuzz for like email calls and SMS?

Secondly.. I supposedly have SearchIT set for when you click "spacebar" but when I try clicking spacebar from the homescreen it doesn't pop up.. Any ideas? Cuz I'm lost.

06-06-10 04:42 PM
    First.. What colors and settings do you have for berrybuzz for like email calls and SMS?

Secondly.. I supposedly have SearchIT set for when you click "spacebar" but when I try clicking spacebar from the homescreen it doesn't pop up.. Any ideas? Cuz I'm lost.

Phone calls are Disco, Missed calls are bright green, Work e-mail bright blue, SMS Disco police, Office at work orange and white, Calendar alert is purple.
    06-06-10 04:57 PM
    Here's a pic or two of my new baby:

Wallpaper courtesy of CyberWarrior from one of the Wallpaper threads here on CB
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f123/bb...papers-454639/ Ask him to do you some wallpaper of your own!

Chitowngirl-Enuf Purple for ya??????

Here's a Case Mate Gelli case. A bit firmer than a regular silicone skin and doesn't collect the fuzz and smutz that Moonlessnight and I were kibbutzing about a few days ago:

Note that even though this case mate case was for the 9630, the usb port cut out is almost perfect and is not obstructed at all!
    Oooh where'd you get the gelli case? If it doesn't collect the fuzz I might have to invest in it!
    06-06-10 05:06 PM
    Moonlessnight, I bought the case right from Case Mate:
    https://www.case-mate.com/BlackBerry-Cases/BlackBerry-Cases.asp

On another note, now that everyone has had a reasonable chance to look at and settle their phones a bit...those of us who received them...do you feel any better about them?

I mean, I don't know about you, but the first night I had mine, I was like a fish outta water. I was almost to the point of tearing my hair right out of my head. I felt like I was caught between two universes! My old phone was NEVER gonna be good enough anymore but the new one was NEVER gonna be set up the way I wanted and was never gonna feel comfortable. It has taken a few days to almost feel comfortable with it, anyone else know what I mean?
    06-06-10 05:30 PM
    This phone wont feel complete to me till I get garmin mobile on it. I've been searching for the past two days and still no dice. I'm getting used to the real keyboard again and it feels great but I need garmin to feel whole.
    06-06-10 06:05 PM

On another note, now that everyone has had a reasonable chance to look at and settle their phones a bit...those of us who received them...do you feel any better about them?

I mean, I don't know about you, but the first night I had mine, I was like a fish outta water. I was almost to the point of tearing my hair right out of my head. I felt like I was caught between two universes! My old phone was NEVER gonna be good enough anymore but the new one was NEVER gonna be set up the way I wanted and was never gonna feel comfortable. It has taken a few days to almost feel comfortable with it, anyone else know what I mean?
    I know what you mean...coming from a storm and going back to a key board which I love . Took until today but I have it set up with apps and all the way I want it. Even found a new theme that put the finishing touches on this phone.
    06-06-10 06:12 PM
    Here's my contribution toward 6k, we don't have too far to go.

jaydee, Your phoe is cool, great for such a sweet lady. Give it time, a jump as big as you took to your newborn 9650 is pretty big and will take a few days to get used to. You'll probably change the setup several times before you get it to its final configuration. Just use a littel of your wonderful patience.

I'm still jealous of all of you with the newly birthed Bolds!!!
    06-06-10 06:15 PM

Thank you for the link! I'm browsing Tour 9630 cases on Amazon right now since I'd ideally like to get one before I go to California, but if not the black holster will suit me just fine for the time being.

It took me a day or two to adjust to the trackpad and the sensitivity and such. By lowering it down to 60, though, it's easier for me to use. I'm still getting the hang of some of the features and what not since I'm relatively new to BlackBerry, but this is leaps and bounds better than my LG Voyager. Poor guy literally snapped! It's a bit of a learning curve, but I had a Tour 9630 for a month and absolutely loved it (aside from the ball that started to stick toward the end!) so I'm very pleased with this one. It feels better in my hand than the 9630 did.

I think by the end of... hmm.. two weeks you'll be so much more in love with it.
    06-06-10 06:34 PM
    Well, I feel a bit better since I have been able to get some of my apps back on that I haven't seen in quite a while. I had to dump quite a few apps from my Curve because of the problems with the OS. I also discovered how easy using BBSAK is and how I can add individual .cod files to my phone to put back one app at a time.

If you've never used the program it's a great way to save your installed 3rd party apps.

It feels good to have all my apps back on my phone at once instead of backed up in a file saved on a laptop for "someday"
    06-06-10 07:45 PM
    Just looking at the post count for this thread and the lovely Jay Dee's post count...it'd be very fitting for Jay Dee to post her 1,000th post as the 6,000th post on this thread...

I'm growing more and more accustomed to my Bold with every hour... battery life seems to be a lot better today for me as well!
    06-06-10 07:54 PM
    You know mrweller, I was going to ask about battery life too!
    I think mine is a bit better today. But I did buy two cradles; one for home and one for work.

The Seidio one I bought for home is primo...I really like it. I got a cheaper looking one for work lol.

How much bulk does a bigger battery add? and which battery is it that we need to order if we get a bigger one? And what about the back of the phone? Does anyone anticipate getting an extended battery and new battery door cover for their 9650? Course that means the cases and skins have to change, too...I dunno if I wanna do that after all...
    06-06-10 08:06 PM
    I got my Bold Friday and fired it up around 1pm or so and by 9pm it was reminding me I should plug it in to charge it again...
    Today, pulled it off the charger on my way to church this morning and even now I am still at 60% battery life 13 hours later and I've done some browsing and BBMing, etc...
    The Tour I tried never came close to the battery life I've experienced today in the 3 weeks I had it! Hope it at least stays this good or gets even better!
    06-06-10 08:42 PM
    I got my Bold Friday and fired it up around 1pm or so and by 9pm it was reminding me I should plug it in to charge it again...
    Today, pulled it off the charger on my way to church this morning and even now I am still at 60% battery life 13 hours later and I've done some browsing and BBMing, etc...
    The Tour I tried never came close to the battery life I've experienced today in the 3 weeks I had it! Hope it at least stays this good or gets even better!
    I must really use my phone more than a lot of people... seems I don't get nearly the battery life others get. I charge my battery every night.

Related question - what do you think is better? Topping the battery off mid day (assuming I have access to a charger) or letting it run down? Does it even matter?
    06-06-10 08:46 PM
    Just looking at the post count for this thread and the lovely Jay Dee's post count...it'd be very fitting for Jay Dee to post her 1,000th post as the 6,000th post on this thread...
    You took the words our of my mouth; however, with jaydee needing only 10 or so more posts and 60+ for the thread, I don't see how we are going to keep her fingers off of the keys long enough to make it work. I am all for it happening that way though.
    06-06-10 08:50 PM
    I must really use my phone more than a lot of people... seems I don't get nearly the battery life others get. I charge my battery every night.

Related question - what do you think is better? Topping the battery off mid day (assuming I have access to a charger) or letting it run down? Does it even matter?
    I thought I heard that we weren't supposed to let the batteries run down to almost empty as that is not good for them?

And that topping them off is not a bad thing as blackberries always like to be fully charged?

That is what I was always led to believe...

What does everyone else know about batteries?
    06-06-10 08:51 PM

You have a Lithium battery in that phone so it won't develop a memory; thus, charge it any time you like or need to.
    06-06-10 08:52 PM
    Thanks, JayDee and Bob - that's what I thought I had heard / read before (and, I often charge my BB throughout the day - did with my 8330 and have been with the 9650 too) ... good to know that I didn't 'dream' that... lol
    06-06-10 08:55 PM
    you took the words our of my mouth; however, with jaydee needing only 10 or so more posts and 60+ for the thread, i don't see how we are going to keep her fingers off of the keys long enough to make it work. I am all for it happening that way though. :d:d:d
    one word - handcuffs!
    06-06-10 08:57 PM
    You know mrweller, I was going to ask about battery life too! I think mine is a bit better today. But I did buy two cradles; one for home and one for work.

How much bulk does a bigger battery add? and which battery is it that we need to order if we get a bigger one? And what about the back of the phone? Does anyone anticipate getting an extended battery and new battery door cover for their 9650? Course that means the cases and skins have to change, too...I dunno if I wanna do that after all...
    My battery life was poor the first two days� after that it settled in so wait before you think you need to upgrade. Seems like pain and too bulky to get the extended battery. I assume it would no longer fit in the holster, etc.

They say it�s best to let them drain out prior to recharge, but I can�t afford not to have a full battery ready to go the next day so I cradle it every night.
    06-06-10 08:57 PM
    My battery life was poor the first two days� after that it settled in so wait before you think you need to upgrade. Seems like pain and too bulky to get the extended battery. I assume it would no longer fit in the holster, etc.

They say it�s best to let them drain out prior to recharge, but I can�t afford not to have a full battery ready to go the next day so I cradle it every night.

If I remember correctly, from the days that I taught computer tech courses, the Lithium batteries take a few charges to get to their full capacity. This is why the manufacturors recommend charging for 24 hours before use as that begins this process and I think makes it happen more quickly. Not charging is not going to hurt the battery, will only take longer to get to full capacity.

Lithium batteries don't develop memory so you can charge them at will; however, at my age you do develop memory (loss) so please forgive me if I stated some of the above incorrectly. ALthough i don't think I did...
    Last edited by BoDeb; 06-06-10 at 10:17 PM.
    06-06-10 10:11 PM
23,186 ... 229230231232233 ...