I have little CDMA experience, but couldn't someone out there, buy a Sprint 9650 and get it working on VZW? Or is that just completely out of the realm of possibility? In the GSM world, it's easy as pie.
    If Verizon were not going to get the 9650, then it stands to reason that one could go to Sprint and buy the phone, which comes unlocked out of the box, at full retail price. Since it seems that Verizon will be getting the 9650, there's no reason to spend the extra money for only a few days or weeks of extra use. It is true that if a Verizon customer were to buy the Sprint phone, they could use their NE2 upgrade whenever they want because they did not use it on the new Bold. There are other pros and cons to that approach, but the more logical course of action would be to just wait.
    05-22-10 12:38 PM
    If Verizon were not going to get the 9650, then it stands to reason that one could go to Sprint and buy the phone, which comes unlocked out of the box, at full retail price. Since it seems that Verizon will be getting the 9650, there's no reason to spend the extra money for only a few days or weeks of extra use. It is true that if a Verizon customer were to buy the Sprint phone, they could use their NE2 upgrade whenever they want because they did not use it on the new Bold. There are other pros and cons to that approach, but the more logical course of action would be to just wait.
    Still will not work on Verizon's network no matter what.
    05-22-10 12:41 PM
    That's right! Tell 'er man! lol

I mean no harm... it's all tongue-in-cheek most of the time, if that's not glaringly obvious...
    Frankly, it wasn't obvious because I'm a relatively new member, but now that I have a better sense of your motives, I think we can coexist peacefully.

Still will not work on Verizon's network no matter what.
    I thought I read on a CB review that this phone would work on Verizon's network. Why wouldn't it be compatible? Is it a SIM card issue?

When I went to edit, the 'Save' button was replaced with a 'Vote Now' button. Huh?
    Last edited by ifhts; 05-22-10 at 12:46 PM.
    05-22-10 12:42 PM
    Anyone recall if Verizon has ever announced a phone on a Saturday or Sunday? Running out of patience....
    05-22-10 12:46 PM
    Frankly, it wasn't obvious because I'm a relatively new member, but now that I have a better sense of your motives, I think we can coexist peacefully.

I thought I read on a CB review that this phone would work on Verizon's network. Why wouldn't it be compatible? Is it a SIM card issue?
    ESN's. Each phone has a unique ID locked to a specific CDMA carrier. Verizon will not activate a Sprint ESN and vice versa period.
    05-22-10 12:47 PM
    ESN's. Each phone has a unique ID locked to a specific CDMA carrier. Verizon will not activate a Sprint ESN and vice versa period.
    Interesting. Thanks.
    05-22-10 12:48 PM
    I have little CDMA experience, but couldn't someone out there, buy a Sprint 9650 and get it working on VZW? Or is that just completely out of the realm of possibility? In the GSM world, it's easy as pie.
    Yeah, like grncherry said, neither VZW or Sprint have an Open ESN Policy, so they will not allow each others phones to be registered on their systems.

@ ifhts VZW is supposed to launch their own version of this phone very soon, maybe even next week, but maybe next month?
    05-22-10 02:01 PM
    While that wasn't the most intelligible rant I've ever read, I think I got your point. That said, I don't think jealous is quite the word we would use to describe our feelings toward Tourboy.
    Haha fine I guess we aren't "jealous" of Tourboy... but hey, it would be cool to be the one who started this thread seeing how big it is.. Justt Sayin
    05-22-10 02:07 PM
    Geez, all of this over someone creating the thread back in November and still waiting for Verizon to release the Bold 9650...sorry for being enthusiastic.

Haha fine I guess we aren't "jealous" of Tourboy... but hey, it would be cool to be the one who started this thread seeing how big it is.. Justt Sayin
    05-22-10 02:36 PM
    Tourboy, I love you!
    I want a little of whatever you're on.
    It would help me deal with Canuck, that's for sure...
    05-22-10 02:40 PM
    Yeah, like grncherry said, neither VZW or Sprint have an Open ENS Policy, so they will not allow each others phones to be registered on their systems.
    Since both are CDMA phones it's entirely possible to make a Sprint phone work on VZW or vice versa, it merely means changing the ESN.

Unfortunately nobody will do that since it's a federal crime...

NOTE: Too bad you can't buy phones direct from RIM, you could/can from Motorola and if you did it did not become a VZW/Sprint/Alltel/whatever phone until activated, then the ESN went into the carrier's data base.
    05-22-10 02:44 PM
    Since both are CDMA phones it's entirely possible to make a Sprint phone work on VZW or vice versa, it merely means changing the ESN.

Unfortunately nobody will do that since it's a federal crime...

NOTE: Too bad you can't buy phones direct from RIM, you could/can from Motorola and if you did it did not become a VZW/Sprint/Alltel/whatever phone until activated, then the ESN went into the carrier's data base.
    And therein lies the rub. The ESN can't be changed. The carriers have a data base and there is no way to spoof an ESN federal crime or no. You can't add a number to their data base or have duplicate numbers either. Wait it out or change carriers, simple.
    05-22-10 03:16 PM
    Yeah, like grncherry said, neither VZW or Sprint have an Open ESN Policy, so they will not allow each others phones to be registered on their systems.

@ ifhts VZW is supposed to launch their own version of this phone very soon, maybe even next week, but maybe next month?
    Oh I know, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting, too. I'm still using my workhorse 8330. I read CrackBerry everyday and I've been doing so for months, so I know that the 27th will be an exciting day (one way or the other) for us VZW customers. My issue with the delay is because I assured my mother that something far better than the trackball-crippled Tour was coming out very soon (back in January or February) and that she shouldn't waste her upgrade on anything until the Bold hits Verizon. She's still using a Treo! So for the sake of my mother, I want this phone to be released already.
    Last edited by ifhts; 05-22-10 at 03:22 PM.
    05-22-10 03:20 PM
    Oh I know, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting, too. I'm still using my workhorse 8330. I read CrackBerry everyday and I've been doing so for months, so I know that the 27th will be an exciting day (one way or the other) for us VZW customers. My issue with the delay is because I assured my mother that something far better than the trackball-crippled Tour was coming out very soon (back in January or February) and that she shouldn't waste her upgrade on anything until the Bold hits Verizon. She's still using a Treo! So for the sake of my mother, I want this phone to be released already.
    It will be, not to worry..........
    05-22-10 03:23 PM
    A dream maybe, but that might just be what Verizon has planned...debut OS6 with the Bold 9650

WOW. At this point if it goes into June the only way in my opinion that vzw recovers is if this thing ships with OS6 and the webkit. Then ALL WOULD BE FORGIVEN. But we know thats a dream. lol
    05-22-10 03:29 PM
    And therein lies the rub. The ESN can't be changed. The carriers have a data base and there is no way to spoof an ESN federal crime or no. You can't add a number to their data base or have duplicate numbers either. Wait it out or change carriers, simple.
    Certainly the ESN can be changed, you might even have the software to do it if you've been fooling with hacking phones for some time and it's not hard to get a valid ESN but since we're talking illegal I'll just give you the classic 'Google is your friend' and leave it at that.
    05-22-10 04:36 PM
    I hear "Bubba" is not that nice of a guy so, I will just maintain my freedom.
    05-22-10 04:42 PM
    Has anyone installed Dragon for Email yet on their 9650? I am very interested in speech recognition and have heard this works great on the Incredible, but for the 9650, there is just the Dragon app for Email.
    05-22-10 06:39 PM
    I say we start now for the hope of next Thursday the 27th...what do you think?

Tourboy, I love you!
    I want a little of whatever you're on.
    It would help me deal with Canuck, that's for sure...
    05-22-10 08:24 PM
    A bit hard for me to understand, I L*O*V*E*D my 8330 which never needed a battery pull, never froze and never had any other issues. I consider it an almost perfect phone.

I did go to a 9630 because of the SIM card ability, I am able to switch the phone between VZW and T-Mo prepaid with allows me to use the phone at my sister's house which is a dead zone to VZW.

I'll be switching back to the 8330 tomorrow or the next day to repair the damage done when ***** dog mistook the phone for a chew toy, the new screen, free of tooth marks, came today and the new housing should be here any day now... Switching to the 8330 will allow me to work very slowly and carefully... now where did I put that sledge hammer????

Once I have a shiny NEW WHITE 9630 VZW and T-Mo phone any desire I ever had for a 9650 will be gone.
    You've got to be kidding. I don't know what OS your old 8330 was running on,but if you say so. And whereever your sister lives must be in the desert or somewhere because since when/where does VZW have a dead zone? lol.

And since when is VZW and T-Mo getting a white 9630?
    05-22-10 09:36 PM
    You've got to be kidding. I don't know what OS your old 8330 was running on,but if you say so. And whereever your sister lives must be in the desert or somewhere because since when/where does VZW have a dead zone? lol.

Perhaps he means he bought a white body kit for the Tour? I know T-Mobile is releasing a white version of their 9700(though it has been delayed). On a side note: Less than 150 posts til' 5000. WE...CAN...DO...IT!
    Last edited by experiment626; 05-22-10 at 09:44 PM.
    05-22-10 09:41 PM
    nope... no vzw 9650 there... nothing to see here folks... move along...

PS- my 9650 is chugging along like a well oiled machine... just (re)updated to .692 now that all was setup just right under .621... update went smoooooth
    AND??????? Still rubbing it in our faces Oh and you confuse me with this post and what you said in post 4756.
    05-22-10 09:54 PM

A friend has VZW and when he comes over he has no signal on my deck and I don't live in the boondocks. No VZW phones work in this location.
    05-22-10 09:57 PM
    Personally, I'm hanging on for the good service. I wouldn't jump ship because a cell phone isn't coming out when I demand it so. This is pretty much how life works, and my life is every bit as full with or without the best new BlackBerry. Besides, people have already left Verizon in droves for far more legitimate reasons (like the higher cost of service). The few dozen they may lose because of this delayed phone release still means nothing. If you got your Bold, why bother inciting hostility among Verizon customers? Don't argue, just reflect on your behavior for a moment.
    I agree. Remember what Sprints service was like and somewhat still is 8-9 years ago? I'd switch like you mentioned over cost of service,but I have had no problems as I've been a VZW customer for at least a decade. I was tempted to go for Sprint back then,but I think a little birdie told me to go for VZW. I do recall a couple instances with people I know who have Sprint where calls were garbled and lost. That actually happened to me today in fact as I was on the phone with my Uncle who has Sprint. Call became garbled and staticy. I guess service depends on where you are with them. Its cool that Sprints comming out with 4g now,but other carriers arent far behind and its not a carrier switcher so.
    05-22-10 10:10 PM
    A friend has VZW and when he comes over he has no signal on my deck and I don't live in the boondocks. No VZW phones work in this location.
    If you say so Bad luck in that area I guess or some kind of interference. Oh and I might as well as include this. I was in Maui recently and I had a signal on top of haleakala mountain at around 6,000 ft. I was able to call, text, and bbm. No lie, and at that moment I felt proud being a VZW customer and well satisfied that I was getting what I was paying for.
    Last edited by tld128; 05-22-10 at 10:24 PM. Reason: misspelling
    05-22-10 10:21 PM
23,186 ... 186187188189190 ...