Not false, the Tour 2 did get around if you read all the threads. It posed for pics and it seems there was even one sold on Ebay. Later it was re-named as a Bold. I'm betting the Tour 2 that was will be the new Bold.
    I don�t know how RIM could get away with calling the Tour a Bold unless the exterior form changes. Are there any prior BBs that were exactly the same but name changed to another existing device name?
    03-28-10 10:15 AM
    90% of Verizon reps know nothing of upcoming phones. You should have noticed that when she said she never heard about the "essex" that should have been a dead give away that she knows nothing of it. Then, to have her tell you she had it in her hands is also false becuase No one has the new Bold. We havnt even see pictures yet of the new Bold.
    Does Verizon even refer to phones by the code name? Isn't that only for RIM. As far as Verizon is concerned this phone is called a Tour2/ now Bold
    03-28-10 10:27 AM
    Hello. I am in a very similar situation as cboo. I have an LG phone that is due for upgrade on April 14, at which time I will be upgrading my phone to a blackberry on Verizon's network. I have been doing my research (if this hearsay can be called research. haha) and do not know RIM's history of release dates for new phones. I realize that the Tour 2/Bold/Essex will probably not be released by my April 14 upgrade date, but what is the realistic chance that it will be out by say the middle of May.

I understand that no one has any official information, but what has been RIM's timeline in the past for announcing the release of the phone and then having that phone available to consumers. For example, how much time passed between their announcement of the release of Storm 2 and then the actual release? Is there an amount of time that usually takes place. Just curious because if no announcement has come yet, am I looking at a month after any announcement is made?

My other option would be to just get the current Tour model, but I am hesitant because with my luck, I will purchase the Tour and the Tour 2/Bold/Essex will be announced the next week. Is it worth it to wait?

Thanks for any input from anyone.
    03-28-10 05:21 PM
    I realize that the Tour 2/Bold/Essex will probably not be released by my April 14 upgrade date, but what is the realistic chance that it will be out by say the middle of May.
    Why upgrade at all? My contract was up in September and I have not yet upgraded and I probably won't. I have a phone that's paid for, works to perfection and I have no contract. I can jump to any phone on any network any time I want to do so. I have no way of knowing if I'll like the Tour 2/Bold/Essex/[insert new name here] when it's released so I'll go play with it and decide then.

Meanwhile, it's of no consequence to me if the new phone is released tomorrow or next week or next year.

Relax and enjoy your LG which probably works to perfection.
    03-28-10 05:54 PM
    I really enjoy my LG which does work perfectly. However, I need the email capability that Blackberry offers for work, which my LG does not offer.
    03-28-10 06:11 PM
    Take it for what its worth: But anyways I was passing through the rear side of a best buy over the weeknd and I saw a delivery truck in the back and this guy was unloading boxes from the truck. Naturally i was curious and slowed down to see what they were delivering... i saw about 2-3 boxes stacked on the trolly and on the outside it had the BB logo (possibly old tours or new 9650s) there is no way to find out.. but here is where it gets interesting.. a buddy of mine works at best buy.. and hes not an employee.. hes actualy assitant store manager.. and he showed me the descrition card for 9650 and some marketing promo materials from BB about the 9650... now i know there r skeptics there and want proof in the form of a picture but sorry my freind's job is worth more to me than your trust(no offense) take my word for what its worth.. but the sudden appearance of marketing materials from BB 9650s and the boxes i saw being unloaded... putting the two and two together.. i say the release date must be getting pretty close... ohh and the marketing materials r only for the upper mgmt of the stores just so they can educate the employees when the time for lauch comes
    03-29-10 03:14 PM
    Take it for what its worth: But anyways I was passing through the rear side of a best buy over the weeknd and I saw a delivery truck in the back and this guy was unloading boxes from the truck. Naturally i was curious and slowed down to see what they were delivering... i saw about 2-3 boxes stacked on the trolly and on the outside it had the BB logo (possibly old tours or new 9650s) there is no way to find out.. but here is where it gets interesting.. a buddy of mine works at best buy.. and hes not an employee.. hes actualy assitant store manager.. and he showed me the descrition card for 9650 and some marketing promo materials from BB about the 9650... now i know there r skeptics there and want proof in the form of a picture but sorry my freind's job is worth more to me than your trust(no offense) take my word for what its worth.. but the sudden appearance of marketing materials from BB 9650s and the boxes i saw being unloaded... putting the two and two together.. i say the release date must be getting pretty close... ohh and the marketing materials r only for the upper mgmt of the stores just so they can educate the employees when the time for lauch comes
    theres hope after all! well can u tell us what exactly was on the description card?
    03-29-10 03:17 PM
    Okay, let me first start off saying...I do not own a Blackberry. I've been wanting to get one for months now and have been following this thread since December, signing in everyday to find out news about the Essex/Tour 2, whatever you want to call it. I own a LG Dare. It is near death and I am chomping at the bit to get a new phone, so here is my story.

I have joined the world of online dating, yes...that's right. So, I start talking to a girl on there, and we exchange messages. Turns out, she is a Verizon Wireless sales trainer, teaching all sales reps on the new phones that come out. I mention to her I've been waiting forever for a new Blackberry to come out. When she asks which one, I tell her the Essex/Tour 2. She tells me she has never heard of the Essex but that the Tour 2 will be out in April and that she has actually had one in her hands. Now I know this thread/forum is all about speculation and he said/she said, but just figured I'd share the info that I received as it seemed to come from someone who knows what is actually going on. So there it is...fingers crossed.
    i am with you there. i too own a lg dare and am with verizon and have been waiting for this darn ESSEX BOLD TOUR 2 WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT TO COME OUT, checking forums and salomondrin and twitter to see if there is any new info out there.
    03-29-10 03:19 PM
    theres hope after all! well can u tell us what exactly was on the description card?
    pretty generic stuff... nothing the threads havent already mentioned wifi.. track pad... it almost seemed as if RIM was holding back and tellin the bestbuy mgmt staff only what they needed to know and nothing more just to keep secrets till official release... it even refered to the device simply at 9650... no specific names... like i said RIM wants to be in control of all the offical marketing propaganda.. or thats wat it seemed like...thy dint even provide pics.. just enuff to educate the staff on how to sell it to the general public.. obviously the heavy users will know more than a typical best buy rep and RIM knows that... so just highlights... that it has global functionality... how the trackpad works (i.e. IR sensor under the glass).. wifi for connecting to home network ... screen resolution... pretty much those description cards u see at best buy for other phones... very generic and quick highlights
    03-29-10 03:24 PM
    a buddy of mine works at best buy.. and hes not an employee.. hes actualy assitant store manager.. and he showed me the descrition card for 9650 and some marketing promo materials from BB about the 9650... now i know there r skeptics there and want proof in the form of a picture but sorry my freind's job is worth more to me than your trust(no offense) take my word for what its worth..
    no offense but i need proof, lol . your buddy can remain anonymous...
    03-29-10 03:24 PM
    no offense but i need proof, lol . your buddy can remain anonymous...
    none taken.. like i said my buddy's job is more imp than the forum reader's trust... im just passin along info.. im not trying to win an award or nething for best info provided
    03-29-10 03:27 PM
    none taken.. like i said my buddy's job is more imp than the forum reader's trust... im just passin along info.. im not trying to win an award or nething for best info provided
    There is no way for anyone to find out that it was your friend who showed you info..so I'm gonna have to call BS. Sorry but that's just not a very good excuse to not take a picture its not like anyone can prove he showed it to you.
    03-29-10 03:58 PM
    Is your friend under some NDA with RIM or something? I don't see how he could even get in trouble, never mind lose his job, if it got traced back to him. I mean it is Best Buy PROMO material... thats what its there for for to promote the phone.

Also, how do you know that those boxes contained any kind of Tour. Doesn't Best Buy sell a few different BB's. Like you said, you only saw the BB logo.

Not trying to bash you or anything. Just trying to clarify a few things so people will believe your story.

But I would HIGHLY recommend you snap a picture of this promo material you saw.
    03-29-10 04:40 PM
    I just roll my eyes on post like these... everything about this post is false. RIM never even announced there phone yet and will NOT announce there phone until the end up next month at the WES show.

DONT post BS like this, it pisses people off
    03-29-10 04:55 PM
    This kind of supports Berrybore... I went in to see my ex brother in law who is the mobile phone manager for the Best Buy in Harford County Maryland and he said he just got word the Tour is being kind of "discontinued". When I asked him to elaborate he said, "If anyone from Best Buy tells you they have inside info they are probably full of crap. But I can tell you we are to sell off the rest of out Tours and we are not to expect more. That probably means the phone you have been bugging me about is coming soon".

All of the info on the forums leads me to belive the May relase is likely.
    03-29-10 07:20 PM
    This kind of supports Berrybore... I went in to see my ex brother in law who is the mobile phone manager for the Best Buy in Harford County Maryland and he said he just got word the Tour is being kind of "discontinued". When I asked him to elaborate he said, "If anyone from Best Buy tells you they have inside info they are probably full of crap. But I can tell you we are to sell off the rest of out Tours and we are not to expect more. That probably means the phone you have been bugging me about is coming soon".

All of the info on the forums leads me to belive the May relase is likely.
    I am also really hopihng that it is May.
    03-29-10 08:15 PM
    Interesting stuff...seems like the announcement and/or release will just happen with very little notice.

pretty generic stuff... nothing the threads havent already mentioned wifi.. track pad... it almost seemed as if RIM was holding back and tellin the bestbuy mgmt staff only what they needed to know and nothing more just to keep secrets till official release... it even refered to the device simply at 9650... no specific names... like i said RIM wants to be in control of all the offical marketing propaganda.. or thats wat it seemed like...thy dint even provide pics.. just enuff to educate the staff on how to sell it to the general public.. obviously the heavy users will know more than a typical best buy rep and RIM knows that... so just highlights... that it has global functionality... how the trackpad works (i.e. IR sensor under the glass).. wifi for connecting to home network ... screen resolution... pretty much those description cards u see at best buy for other phones... very generic and quick highlights
    03-29-10 09:30 PM
    Don't know why, but beginning to give the HTC Incredible some consideration.

The HTC Incredible is looking pretty good. Looks like its going to be out well before the Bold too. I'm probably going to get the Bold still, but anyone else thinking about the Incredible instead? I might get both haha
    03-29-10 09:58 PM
    There is no way for anyone to find out that it was your friend who showed you info..so I'm gonna have to call BS. Sorry but that's just not a very good excuse to not take a picture its not like anyone can prove he showed it to you.
    You can call what you want.. last I checked everyone in america has he right to free speech. And for you info. I very politely asked my freind if i could take a pic and post it anonymously but he didn't feel comfortable with the idea as he all upper mgmt in these big box retails sign NDAs with vendors and manufacturers so I have to respect his wish.. and if he feels uncomfortable im not going to pursue it... like i said b4 you are not goin to hurt my feelings if you dont belive me... im not here to win any awards.. just passing along some info.

Is your friend under some NDA with RIM or something? I don't see how he could even get in trouble, never mind lose his job, if it got traced back to him. I mean it is Best Buy PROMO material... thats what its there for for to promote the phone.

Also, how do you know that those boxes contained any kind of Tour. Doesn't Best Buy sell a few different BB's. Like you said, you only saw the BB logo.

Not trying to bash you or anything. Just trying to clarify a few things so people will believe your story.

But I would HIGHLY recommend you snap a picture of this promo material you saw.
    yes all senior ppl incharge of new device release have to sign NDA.. and that is how we get leaks.. its those ppl that broke the manufactures trust.. think about it.. kind of like how ipad best buy data leaked.. yes the promo material is to promote the phone but the material doesnt arrive the same day as the phone tat would defeat the purpose not would thy just post it w/out an officail announcement from RIM... that would also defeat the purpose incase RIM needs to make any last min changes to specs/price. And i never i knew eactly wat was in those BB boxes.. u r right.. it cud be BB cases for all i know... as far as snapping a pic... thy have an NDA and i would never jeapordize anyone's job just so i can earn some trust from strangers.. i was just passing along some observations

I just roll my eyes on post like these... everything about this post is false. RIM never even announced there phone yet and will NOT announce there phone until the end up next month at the WES show.

DONT post BS like this, it pisses people off
    Wow you really sound like u know everythin so good for you... if u recall RIM doesnt announce every dam phone thy release at WES.. thy arent like apple where thy have to make a speciticle of every lil gadget thy release... storm2 was a quiet release if u recall the buzz wasnt as big as storm1... so call BS call the police do watever u gotta do... last i checked freedom of speech still existed and if it pisses u off bc i was simply passing along some info... look at my face i really care what you think
    03-29-10 10:34 PM
    To support the speculation of the Tour being discontinued soon... I went into the Verizon store last weekend to play around with the Tour since I may want to switch to a BlackBerry from my iPhone and the girl I talked to gave me one of those magazine things with all of the phones and plans. Well as I was flipping through it I came across the page with all of the smartphone's and I noticed right under the picture of the Tour it says "(while supplies last)". I think that's a pretty good indicator that its going to be discontinued soon!
    03-29-10 10:54 PM
    To support the speculation of the Tour being discontinued soon... I went into the Verizon store last weekend to play around with the Tour since I may want to switch to a BlackBerry from my iPhone and the girl I talked to gave me one of those magazine things with all of the phones and plans. Well as I was flipping through it I came across the page with all of the smartphone's and I noticed right under the picture of the Tour it says "(while supplies last)". I think that's a pretty good indicator that its going to be discontinued soon!
    Oh no!!! No more tour???????? I was hoping to get it or maybe the storm 2. Maybe what this guy says is true. I plan on going into my Verizon store to see for myself. If this is true than I will definately have to bite my tongue and hold out for the tour 2 or whatever its going to be called because the new 8530 sucks. What a dissapointment with that. I had spoken with a store manager back in January and he said to hold out on getting a new blackberry until December which is when I'm eligible for an upgrade as a new one is sure to come out. On a interesting note, I just received a flier in the mail offering me to upgrade early with a discount on any new smartphone purchase. The deadline for the offer is at the end of April so maybe that has some connection with what this guy noticed in the Verizon magazine about getting the tour while suppiles last. It's a good business strategy such as bringing in this ****ty 8530 and then shorty after bring in something much better a months later like the tour 2. Customers will have to belly-ache about how they should have waited and are stuck with their ****ty phone for 2 years with an option to buy the newer phone they like at full price,that is if purchasing from the carrier or being smarter by going online to buy it which is obviously more cost effective. That's what I did. I upgraded for the ****ty versa when I knew I wanted and was ready for a bb. After about 4 months of dealing with it I finally chose to get my bb and on ebay where I saved a **** load of money instead of buying it from the store. If I have to wait 2-3-4 months or even longer for this tour 2 I'll have to unless I change my mind for the storm 2. Wifi isnt really a big deal since your're paying for phone service anyways,but the fact the tour 2 and even the storm 2 have much more memory than my current bb is a plus for me among other things. Either way I cant wait until the tour 2 comes out
    03-30-10 03:03 AM
    You considering the HTC Incredible? Trying to figure how it might match up against the Tour 2.

Yeah, I think for the most part it won't be anything terribly groundbreaking but that's still ambiguous enough to mean we could get some nicer specs on the 9650 or just be limited to an added trackpad + WiFi. Cross our fingers for the former.

Yeah, I have no idea why, but I'm giving some thought to the Evo... I know BlackBerry's are better for messaging and email which I primarily do on a phone other than talking but something just wants me to give the Evo a shot (I think the UI is more appealing in my opinion).
    03-30-10 07:55 AM
    You considering the HTC Incredible? Trying to figure how it might match up against the Tour 2.
    They don't match up really but it is probably a far better phone overall that he/she is willing to get that instead of a 9650. Just because it isn't the same style phone doesn't mean you can't consider it.

Like when I go buy a car. Say I wanted a truck because I often pull a trailer and carry a lot of stuff around but I ended up getting a WRX STI because it is such a nice car and I rather have a nice sporty quick car and will figure out another way to tow trailers when needed.
    03-30-10 08:27 AM
    I realize one is a touch screen and one is not, but the HTC Incredible does seem far more advanced than what the Tour 2 is sounding like. Looked at the Storm 2 when it came out, but didn't care for it, the Incredible seems far superior.

They don't match up really but it is probably a far better phone overall that he/she is willing to get that instead of a 9650. Just because it isn't the same style phone doesn't mean you can't consider it.

Like when I go buy a car. Say I wanted a truck because I often pull a trailer and carry a lot of stuff around but I ended up getting a WRX STI because it is such a nice car and I rather have a nice sporty quick car and will figure out another way to tow trailers when needed.
    03-30-10 09:29 AM
    just curious, why is there more discussion about possibly considering the HTC incredible over the tour2/bold than there is discussion about the nexus one when it comes? ive been waiting on the 9650 a while now but if anything draws me away it will be the nexus.
    03-30-10 09:33 AM
23,186 ... 128129130131132 ...