...the 9650 phones assuming they were manufactured. We still never saw pics of these phones that were allegedly in NYC stores. I am pretty sure someone could have snapped a pic of the case of phones or a box without the picture having any distinguishing things in the background. But assuming they were manufactured....
    That is key. IF they were manufactured and shipped--I believe they were based on the reports from BBMChat and Sal, but it's possible they received false or mistaken information? If the reports were erroneous, then the change could have occurred weeks or possibly even months earlier without it leaking out to us in CB land.

Another question and speculation:

The other thing that still has me wondering is regarding FCC approval. Based on the latest I've read here on the board, there doesn't appear to be a product approved by the FCC in recent months that could be the 9650. However, if there are no significant component changes from the original Tour, as we have been led to believe, is it possible that the 9650 could be released under the original permit, or would RIM still have to go through the process again? If they are required to get a new authorization for the new device instead of piggybacking it on the original, then I can't imagine them shipping very many units to stores without already having the FCC approval in hand.
    03-09-10 09:30 AM
    It would be odd not to have a new FCC approval considering they are adding wifi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 09:41 AM
    It would be odd not to have a new FCC approval considering they are adding wifi?

Good point.
    03-09-10 09:47 AM

Not at all. FCC approval doesn't have to be made public before the device is released. I think that the FCC has 45 days after release to make an approval public.
    03-09-10 10:47 AM
    I agree; I just don't see them scraping the 9650 all together. Either we are looking at 2 new models coming soon or something along those lines.

This pretty much is how I feel as well. I am just a customer with no information just an opinion but I cannot see them scrapping the 9650 phones assuming they were manufactured. We still never saw pics of these phones that were allegedly in NYC stores. I am pretty sure someone could have snapped a pic of the case of phones or a box without the picture having any distinguishing things in the background. But assuming they were manufactured those are either hitting china or the us with a different name. I don't know if we will see a cdma bold 9700, but that's what I really want to see happen. Send those phones to china and give us a 9700. At the end of the day EVERYTHING is this essex/tour2/bold forum is speculation and not fact. I don't care if it comes from Kevin, Sal or whoever is considered an insider. Until RIM or VZW make a statement about this mystery phone,I am assuming we won't see either

03-09-10 03:00 PM
    I agree; I just don't see them scraping the 9650 all together. Either we are looking at 2 new models coming soon or something along those lines.
    +1
    10 char
    03-09-10 07:29 PM
    I wish we could get someone from the FCC to leak something to us!?
    03-09-10 09:04 PM
    I'm kind of leaning towards this...

Bold coming to Verizon
    That way they have their 4 categories for each carrier.
    low-curve, mid-tour, high-bold, and iphone knockoff-storm on each of the carriers. With the gsm carriers to get the slider do-ha looking thing.

In the end its really just a phone. I was on the waiting for tour2 band wagon and at this point I'd rather have an 8703e. BTW if you have one for sale, pm me please.
    03-09-10 09:41 PM

Bold coming to Verizon
    low-curve, mid-tour, high-bold, and iphone knockoff-storm on each of the carriers. With the gsm carriers to get the slider do-ha looking thing.

In the end its really just a phone. I was on the waiting for tour2 band wagon and at this point I'd rather have an 8703e. BTW if you have one for sale, pm me please.
    derp derp derp, you forgot Sprint. I forgot the ONLY TWO PROVIDERS IN THE WORLD ARE AT&T AND VERIZON THOUGH...how silly of me.
    03-09-10 10:18 PM

Bold coming to Verizon

8703e...WTF!? Mine broke almost four years ago, you can have mine if you want. Wheel broke. Your probably the goto guy on the 8700s. Curious, why does VZW still sell these things?
    03-09-10 10:44 PM
    I think the FCC typically has to approve a device prior to it being shipped into the US. All devices containing a radio transmitter or receiver intended for retail must have an FCC approval code on the device. I don't recall seeing a device ship without the approval being posted first, but I could be off on that one. Typically the FCC omits pictures and model references specific to that device for the term of the confidentiality period, but will post the "edited" approval.

Not at all. FCC approval doesn't have to be made public before the device is released. I think that the FCC has 45 days after release to make an approval public.
    03-09-10 11:09 PM
    I dont care what it's call just release it already
    03-10-10 10:11 AM
    Verizon BlackBerry Tour2 Aka Bold 9650 Scheduled for Mid Second Quarter? | PocketBerry

I got this from BBMChat's twitter. I'm starting to hate this phone.
    03-10-10 11:55 AM
    Verizon BlackBerry Tour2 Aka Bold 9650 Scheduled for Mid Second Quarter? | PocketBerry

notice the article says they got there information from Verizon Reps

since when do Verizon Reps know anything about any upcoming phones? they never have, never will.
    03-10-10 12:02 PM
    Yeahh I'm starting to hate this phone also. Its so ridiculous.

03-10-10 12:20 PM
    notice the article says they got there information from Verizon Reps

since when do Verizon Reps know anything about any upcoming phones? they never have, never will.
    True, but Kevin has hinted at a May release and Plethora9 indicated a June roll out. Mid Q2 would be in-line with what we've heard from others.
    03-10-10 12:42 PM
    Yeahh I'm starting to hate this phone also. Its so ridiculous.

+1
    10 char
    03-10-10 05:33 PM
    Hmmm; interesting; still think we are looking at a new Bold model AND a Tour2.

03-10-10 07:06 PM
    This sucks, because I received another email from VZN saying I'm eligible for an early upgrade..but it ends in at the end of Apr..The last time I received an email like that it was in Nov...IDK if I should near the last week of Apr or hope for another promotion email..Current phone LG Dare
    03-10-10 07:09 PM
    Lean away.. just dont fall over!..

if you are going to discuss product plans at least acknowledge there is more than 150m cellular subscribers in the world.

ya furgot the pearl.. RIM got it right with the pearl and the curve (same name, same body, different technologies but same basic specs).. but then they screwed it up with the bold (no 9030 for cdma)..

fyi the tour is not a mid range device.. it can be priced far higher than a bold. its a CDMA world phone and if you need one you need one...

gsm ; pearl, curve, bold
    cdma : pearl, curve, bold, tour

the storm is an outlier.. put it where you like

Bold coming to Verizon

03-11-10 06:06 AM
    edit: double post.
    03-11-10 06:48 AM
    Which leads me to believe that 9650 is not that far off.

This sucks, because I received another email from VZN saying I'm eligible for an early upgrade..but it ends in at the end of Apr..The last time I received an email like that it was in Nov...IDK if I should near the last week of Apr or hope for another promotion email..Current phone LG Dare
    03-11-10 02:41 PM
    Which leads me to believe that 9650 is not that far off.
    i think we have a few months wait at least still

(my opinion)
    03-11-10 05:05 PM
    You mean you think there is really only one model then from all of this?

i think we have a few months wait at least still

(my opinion)
    03-11-10 07:12 PM
    You mean you think there is really only one model then from all of this?
    There is only going to be one model and my money is on a Bold. The essex and the rumored Bold are too similar to be sold together. I also think we are waiting until June to get this phone. Just my opinion though.
    03-11-10 08:05 PM
23,186 ... 114115116117118 ...